Posted to rec.food.cooking
Roy[_4_] Roy[_4_] is offline

Default Roast pork?

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 2:45:02 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> My mother used to make a pork roast, butt, and it was
> simmered until fork tender. In the resultant broth she
> would simmer extra wide noodles and it was delicious but
> for the life of me I cannot replicate this dish. She had
> no fancy spices or herbs nor was garlic or onions used in
> this dish. Does anything about this sound remotely familiar?
>
> I have Googled roast pork, pork roast, noodles, etc. with
> no satisfying returns. There are hundreds of recipes and
> some have ingredients I knew were not in her cupboard. Does
> any of this ring a bell with anyone here??

I don't know about others but I just roast pork in a small roaster or a Pyrex casserole disk with a glass lid, with a bit of water (to keep it from burning to the roaster or casserole dish), salt and pepper and seasoned with either sage or poultry dressing. I usually turn the roast half way through the roasting and add water if needed. You can roast it loosely covered with aluminum foil if you wish and open it up for the last half hour or so to brown. I generally roast at 325-350 degrees F., for 2 1/2 to 3 hours depending on weight.
The cooked noodles, if desired, can be added near the end of the process or serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable. I often just use hot cooked long grain rice, add a bit of butter and a sprinkle of soya sauce..

Now watch for the critics to tear my method to shreds and tell me I should learn to cook before attempting procedures such as roasting meat.

My guests love the way I cook, so I could care less about the critics. Anyway keep experimenting and enjoy the results.
====