Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Troubleshooting Capresso Infinity grinder

I'm sticking this here, because I could not find any instructions on
the web, and google does a fair job of finding googlegroups posts.

The Capresso Infinity grinder (Model 505) is the only motorized
conical burr grinder under $100. Which is why its failure to function
yesterday caused us consternation. Basic troubleshooting revealed
a chunk of plastic had broken off the bean hopper. My beloved wife,
who is the only one to use the grinder, claimed ignorance.

I took off the grounds recipient, and, with the torx bits of my screwdriver,
removed the lower burr, discovering impacted coffeegrounds underneath.
Still did not spin. NB: the lower burr is pushed upwards by three balls
atop three springs. Do not lose these.`

How to remove the housing mystified me, but I found that it was held
on by five tabs, which I could depress with an old butter knife,
allowing me to slide the housing downwards.
The power cord is connected to a terminal block, which in turn is connected
to two blue wires. One blue wire goes to a microswitch, which is closed
when the bean hopper is properly installed. From there, another blue wire
leads to the grinding timer switch. From there, a white wire goes to
a little circuit board with a MZ-23 PTC thermistor on it, and four diodes.
Red and black wires from the motor go to this PCB.

Measuring continuity with a VOM was not very fruitful, so I turned
the timer switch to 10, plugged the grinder in, and manually closed
the microswitch. Success! as the motor spun.

Monday I will try to order a new bean hopper, and perhaps a new
microswitch, direct from Capresso.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 9:52:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> I'm sticking this here, because I could not find any instructions on
> the web, and google does a fair job of finding googlegroups posts.
>
> The Capresso Infinity grinder (Model 505) is the only motorized
> conical burr grinder under $100. Which is why its failure to function
> yesterday caused us consternation. Basic troubleshooting revealed
> a chunk of plastic had broken off the bean hopper. My beloved wife,
> who is the only one to use the grinder, claimed ignorance.
>
> I took off the grounds recipient, and, with the torx bits of my screwdriver,
> removed the lower burr, discovering impacted coffeegrounds underneath.
> Still did not spin. NB: the lower burr is pushed upwards by three balls
> atop three springs. Do not lose these.`
>
> How to remove the housing mystified me, but I found that it was held
> on by five tabs, which I could depress with an old butter knife,
> allowing me to slide the housing downwards.
> The power cord is connected to a terminal block, which in turn is connected
> to two blue wires. One blue wire goes to a microswitch, which is closed
> when the bean hopper is properly installed. From there, another blue wire
> leads to the grinding timer switch. From there, a white wire goes to
> a little circuit board with a MZ-23 PTC thermistor on it, and four diodes.
> Red and black wires from the motor go to this PCB.
>
> Measuring continuity with a VOM was not very fruitful, so I turned
> the timer switch to 10, plugged the grinder in, and manually closed
> the microswitch. Success! as the motor spun.
>
> Monday I will try to order a new bean hopper, and perhaps a new
> microswitch, direct from Capresso.

The microswitch is a Baokezhen SC7301. The nubbin looks pushed in,
compared to a datasheet picture on the web.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 10:52:38 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> I'm sticking this here, because I could not find any instructions on
> the web, and google does a fair job of finding googlegroups posts.
>
> The Capresso Infinity grinder (Model 505) is the only motorized
> conical burr grinder under $100. Which is why its failure to function
> yesterday caused us consternation. Basic troubleshooting revealed
> a chunk of plastic had broken off the bean hopper. My beloved wife,
> who is the only one to use the grinder, claimed ignorance.
>
> I took off the grounds recipient, and, with the torx bits of my screwdriver,
> removed the lower burr, discovering impacted coffeegrounds underneath.
> Still did not spin. NB: the lower burr is pushed upwards by three balls
> atop three springs. Do not lose these.`
>
> How to remove the housing mystified me, but I found that it was held
> on by five tabs, which I could depress with an old butter knife,
> allowing me to slide the housing downwards.
> The power cord is connected to a terminal block, which in turn is connected
> to two blue wires. One blue wire goes to a microswitch, which is closed
> when the bean hopper is properly installed. From there, another blue wire
> leads to the grinding timer switch. From there, a white wire goes to
> a little circuit board with a MZ-23 PTC thermistor on it, and four diodes.
> Red and black wires from the motor go to this PCB.
>
> Measuring continuity with a VOM was not very fruitful, so I turned
> the timer switch to 10, plugged the grinder in, and manually closed
> the microswitch. Success! as the motor spun.
>
> Monday I will try to order a new bean hopper, and perhaps a new
> microswitch, direct from Capresso.

Gee, should have gotten a good old fashioned U.S. made Kitchenaid A9 Coffee Mill like I have. Made in Troy Ohio, and still grinding on from the 1940's!

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...420682_o.jp g

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 12:52:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> I'm sticking this here, because I could not find any instructions on
> the web, and google does a fair job of finding googlegroups posts.
>
> The Capresso Infinity grinder (Model 505) is the only motorized
> conical burr grinder under $100. Which is why its failure to function
> yesterday caused us consternation. Basic troubleshooting revealed
> a chunk of plastic had broken off the bean hopper. My beloved wife,
> who is the only one to use the grinder, claimed ignorance.
>
> I took off the grounds recipient, and, with the torx bits of my screwdriver,
> removed the lower burr, discovering impacted coffeegrounds underneath.
> Still did not spin. NB: the lower burr is pushed upwards by three balls
> atop three springs. Do not lose these.`
>
> How to remove the housing mystified me, but I found that it was held
> on by five tabs, which I could depress with an old butter knife,
> allowing me to slide the housing downwards.
> The power cord is connected to a terminal block, which in turn is connected
> to two blue wires. One blue wire goes to a microswitch, which is closed
> when the bean hopper is properly installed. From there, another blue wire
> leads to the grinding timer switch. From there, a white wire goes to
> a little circuit board with a MZ-23 PTC thermistor on it, and four diodes.
> Red and black wires from the motor go to this PCB.
>
> Measuring continuity with a VOM was not very fruitful, so I turned
> the timer switch to 10, plugged the grinder in, and manually closed
> the microswitch. Success! as the motor spun.
>
> Monday I will try to order a new bean hopper, and perhaps a new
> microswitch, direct from Capresso.

Thanks! This was totally helpful! My coffee grinder wasn't working and this is the problem, so I'm also going to order a new microswitch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello! We might have the same problem. Where did you find the microswitch? Couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks so much for your detailed description.

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 9:52:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> I'm sticking this here, because I could not find any instructions on
> the web, and google does a fair job of finding googlegroups posts.
>
> The Capresso Infinity grinder (Model 505) is the only motorized
> conical burr grinder under $100. Which is why its failure to function
> yesterday caused us consternation. Basic troubleshooting revealed
> a chunk of plastic had broken off the bean hopper. My beloved wife,
> who is the only one to use the grinder, claimed ignorance.
>
> I took off the grounds recipient, and, with the torx bits of my screwdriver,
> removed the lower burr, discovering impacted coffeegrounds underneath.
> Still did not spin. NB: the lower burr is pushed upwards by three balls
> atop three springs. Do not lose these.`
>
> How to remove the housing mystified me, but I found that it was held
> on by five tabs, which I could depress with an old butter knife,
> allowing me to slide the housing downwards.
> The power cord is connected to a terminal block, which in turn is connected
> to two blue wires. One blue wire goes to a microswitch, which is closed
> when the bean hopper is properly installed. From there, another blue wire
> leads to the grinding timer switch. From there, a white wire goes to
> a little circuit board with a MZ-23 PTC thermistor on it, and four diodes.
> Red and black wires from the motor go to this PCB.
>
> Measuring continuity with a VOM was not very fruitful, so I turned
> the timer switch to 10, plugged the grinder in, and manually closed
> the microswitch. Success! as the motor spun.
>
> Monday I will try to order a new bean hopper, and perhaps a new
> microswitch, direct from Capresso.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 11:24:51 PM UTC-5, sandv wrote:
> Hello! We might have the same problem. Where did you find the microswitch? Couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks so much for your detailed description.

The issue with mine turned out to be the thermal fuse, which is in the bottom part of the grinder next to the motor (remove the 4 screws in the base to access). It's a small silver cylinder with a green cap. Test it for continuity, if it fails then it needs to be replaced. It can also be bypassed (simply removed), which is what I did. Just be careful when using afterwards (wait for motor to cool down between uses), as the motor may burn out if it is run continuously for too long.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 12:24:51 AM UTC-4, sandv wrote:
> Hello! We might have the same problem. Where did you find the microswitch? Couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks so much for your detailed description.
>

> On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 9:52:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> > I'm sticking this here, because I could not find any instructions on
> > the web, and google does a fair job of finding googlegroups posts.
> >
> > The Capresso Infinity grinder (Model 505) is the only motorized
> > conical burr grinder under $100. Which is why its failure to function
> > yesterday caused us consternation. Basic troubleshooting revealed
> > a chunk of plastic had broken off the bean hopper. My beloved wife,
> > who is the only one to use the grinder, claimed ignorance.
> >
> > I took off the grounds recipient, and, with the torx bits of my screwdriver,
> > removed the lower burr, discovering impacted coffeegrounds underneath.
> > Still did not spin. NB: the lower burr is pushed upwards by three balls
> > atop three springs. Do not lose these.`
> >
> > How to remove the housing mystified me, but I found that it was held
> > on by five tabs, which I could depress with an old butter knife,
> > allowing me to slide the housing downwards.
> > The power cord is connected to a terminal block, which in turn is connected
> > to two blue wires. One blue wire goes to a microswitch, which is closed
> > when the bean hopper is properly installed. From there, another blue wire
> > leads to the grinding timer switch. From there, a white wire goes to
> > a little circuit board with a MZ-23 PTC thermistor on it, and four diodes.
> > Red and black wires from the motor go to this PCB.
> >
> > Measuring continuity with a VOM was not very fruitful, so I turned
> > the timer switch to 10, plugged the grinder in, and manually closed
> > the microswitch. Success! as the motor spun.
> >
> > Monday I will try to order a new bean hopper, and perhaps a new
> > microswitch, direct from Capresso.

hello i had a similar issue. I took apart the microswitch and added more material to the "nubin" with superglue and baking soda. heres how it looks first attempt. https://photos.app.goo.gl/cvMS0NhcD3pjdqc13

hope this helps anyone who sees this and cannot find a replacement microswitch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 22:24:58 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 12:24:51 AM UTC-4, sandv wrote:
>> Hello! We might have the same problem. Where did you find the microswitch? Couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks so much for your detailed description.
>>

>> On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 9:52:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
>> > I'm sticking this here, because I could not find any instructions on
>> > the web, and google does a fair job of finding googlegroups posts.
>> >
>> > The Capresso Infinity grinder (Model 505) is the only motorized
>> > conical burr grinder under $100. Which is why its failure to function
>> > yesterday caused us consternation. Basic troubleshooting revealed
>> > a chunk of plastic had broken off the bean hopper. My beloved wife,
>> > who is the only one to use the grinder, claimed ignorance.
>> >
>> > I took off the grounds recipient, and, with the torx bits of my screwdriver,
>> > removed the lower burr, discovering impacted coffeegrounds underneath.
>> > Still did not spin. NB: the lower burr is pushed upwards by three balls
>> > atop three springs. Do not lose these.`
>> >
>> > How to remove the housing mystified me, but I found that it was held
>> > on by five tabs, which I could depress with an old butter knife,
>> > allowing me to slide the housing downwards.
>> > The power cord is connected to a terminal block, which in turn is connected
>> > to two blue wires. One blue wire goes to a microswitch, which is closed
>> > when the bean hopper is properly installed. From there, another blue wire
>> > leads to the grinding timer switch. From there, a white wire goes to
>> > a little circuit board with a MZ-23 PTC thermistor on it, and four diodes.
>> > Red and black wires from the motor go to this PCB.
>> >
>> > Measuring continuity with a VOM was not very fruitful, so I turned
>> > the timer switch to 10, plugged the grinder in, and manually closed
>> > the microswitch. Success! as the motor spun.
>> >
>> > Monday I will try to order a new bean hopper, and perhaps a new
>> > microswitch, direct from Capresso.

>hello i had a similar issue. I took apart the microswitch and added more material to the "nubin"
>with superglue and baking soda. heres how it looks first attempt.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cvMS0NhcD3pjdqc13
>hope this helps anyone who sees this and cannot find a replacement microswitch.

For many years I futzed with roasting/grinding beans, and spent big
bucks on so called 'rare' beans plus mucho money on fancy shmancy
grinders and brewers... all for naught.
It's not possible to brew good coffee without good water... a few
years ago I installed a Reverse Osmosis water filter... what a
difference good water makes. Now I buy ground coffee in big cans for
cheap (Walmart Brand), makes fantastic brew, but it's really about the
H2O.... if you're using tap water you're masturbating. Bottled water
is tap water too, only from someone else's tap, probably from a garden
hose. And all those paper/charcoal element filters attached at the
sink spigot are no better than aquarium filters... will load up with
bacteria/viruses and make you very sick.
If you're a coffee and/or tea drinker you need an RO filter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 12:24:51 AM UTC-4, sandv wrote:

>> hello i had a similar issue. I took apart the microswitch and added more material to the "nubin"
>> with superglue and baking soda. heres how it looks first attempt.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cvMS0NhcD3pjdqc13
>> hope this helps anyone who sees this and cannot find a replacement microswitch.

> For many years I futzed with roasting/grinding beans, and spent big
> bucks on so called 'rare' beans plus mucho money on fancy shmancy
> grinders and brewers... all for naught.
> It's not possible to brew good coffee without good water... a few
> years ago I installed a Reverse Osmosis water filter... what a
> difference good water makes. Now I buy ground coffee in big cans for
> cheap (Walmart Brand), makes fantastic brew, but it's really about the
> H2O.... if you're using tap water you're masturbating. Bottled water
> is tap water too, only from someone else's tap, probably from a garden
> hose. And all those paper/charcoal element filters attached at the
> sink spigot are no better than aquarium filters... will load up with
> bacteria/viruses and make you very sick.
> If you're a coffee and/or tea drinker you need an RO filter.

All excellent points.

But remember that RO water is devoid of most all beneficial minerals,
not as bad as distilled water, but close.

So you need to supplement with:

https://traceminerals.com/endure/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> hello i had a similar issue. I took apart the microswitch and added more material to the "nubin"
>>> with superglue and baking soda. heres how it looks first attempt.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cvMS0NhcD3pjdqc13
>>> hope this helps anyone who sees this and cannot find a replacement microswitch.

>> For many years I futzed with roasting/grinding beans, and spent big
>> bucks on so called 'rare' beans plus mucho money on fancy shmancy
>> grinders and brewers... all for naught.
>> It's not possible to brew good coffee without good water... a few
>> years ago I installed a Reverse Osmosis water filter... what a
>> difference good water makes. Now I buy ground coffee in big cans for
>> cheap (Walmart Brand), makes fantastic brew, but it's really about the
>> H2O.... if you're using tap water you're masturbating. Bottled water
>> is tap water too, only from someone else's tap, probably from a garden
>> hose. And all those paper/charcoal element filters attached at the
>> sink spigot are no better than aquarium filters... will load up with
>> bacteria/viruses and make you very sick.
>> If you're a coffee and/or tea drinker you need an RO filter.
>>

>All excellent points.
>
>But remember that RO water is devoid of most all beneficial minerals,
>not as bad as distilled water, but close.

Um, stop being dense... coffee is not the only liquid one drinks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 7:07:07 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> For many years I futzed with roasting/grinding beans, and spent big
> bucks on so called 'rare' beans plus mucho money on fancy shmancy
> grinders and brewers... all for naught.
> It's not possible to brew good coffee without good water... a few
> years ago I installed a Reverse Osmosis water filter... what a
> difference good water makes. Now I buy ground coffee in big cans for
> cheap (Walmart Brand), makes fantastic brew, but it's really about the
> H2O.... if you're using tap water you're masturbating. Bottled water
> is tap water too, only from someone else's tap, probably from a garden
> hose. And all those paper/charcoal element filters attached at the
> sink spigot are no better than aquarium filters... will load up with
> bacteria/viruses and make you very sick.
> If you're a coffee and/or tea drinker you need an RO filter.

Our tap water is just great stuff. No treatment needed. OTOH, Hawaii water probably kills more people than your water.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...t-over-a-month
Posted to rec.food.cooking

You need a # 10 security torx bit. Has a small hole in middle. Took me a couple of visits to the hardware store to get this cleared up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 12:52:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> I'm sticking this here, because I could not find any instructions on
> the web, and google does a fair job of finding googlegroups posts.
>
> The Capresso Infinity grinder (Model 505) is the only motorized
> conical burr grinder under $100. Which is why its failure to function
> yesterday caused us consternation. Basic troubleshooting revealed
> a chunk of plastic had broken off the bean hopper. My beloved wife,
> who is the only one to use the grinder, claimed ignorance.
>
> I took off the grounds recipient, and, with the torx bits of my screwdriver,
> removed the lower burr, discovering impacted coffeegrounds underneath.
> Still did not spin. NB: the lower burr is pushed upwards by three balls
> atop three springs. Do not lose these.`
>
> How to remove the housing mystified me, but I found that it was held
> on by five tabs, which I could depress with an old butter knife,
> allowing me to slide the housing downwards.
> The power cord is connected to a terminal block, which in turn is connected
> to two blue wires. One blue wire goes to a microswitch, which is closed
> when the bean hopper is properly installed. From there, another blue wire
> leads to the grinding timer switch. From there, a white wire goes to
> a little circuit board with a MZ-23 PTC thermistor on it, and four diodes..
> Red and black wires from the motor go to this PCB.
>
> Measuring continuity with a VOM was not very fruitful, so I turned
> the timer switch to 10, plugged the grinder in, and manually closed
> the microswitch. Success! as the motor spun.
>
> Monday I will try to order a new bean hopper, and perhaps a new
> microswitch, direct from Capresso.

I bought a used model and discovered the damaged bean hopper. disassembled as noted above and required a lot of force for me. Cut the two leads from the micro switch and wired them together to bypass the switch. I suppose I no longer have an idiot proof machine because it will now turn on regardless of the fact that the hopper is on or not. This is not recommended for safety purposes. I also know how not to put my finger in the toaster once I turn it on as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 3:08:42 PM UTC-10, wrote:

> I bought a used model and discovered the damaged bean hopper. disassembled as noted above and required a lot of force for me. Cut the two leads from the micro switch and wired them together to bypass the switch. I suppose I no longer have an idiot proof machine because it will now turn on regardless of the fact that the hopper is on or not. This is not recommended for safety purposes. I also know how not to put my finger in the toaster once I turn it on as well.

I got an Epica Electric Coffee Grinder and am as pleased as punch. It's got a powerful motor, is quiet (relatively), has a removable grinding chamber, and costs about $23 on Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrTThMbUZI
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 12:52:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> I'm sticking this here, because I could not find any instructions on
> the web, and google does a fair job of finding googlegroups posts.
>
> The Capresso Infinity grinder (Model 505) is the only motorized
> conical burr grinder under $100. Which is why its failure to function
> yesterday caused us consternation. Basic troubleshooting revealed
> a chunk of plastic had broken off the bean hopper. My beloved wife,
> who is the only one to use the grinder, claimed ignorance.
>
> I took off the grounds recipient, and, with the torx bits of my screwdriver,
> removed the lower burr, discovering impacted coffeegrounds underneath.
> Still did not spin. NB: the lower burr is pushed upwards by three balls
> atop three springs. Do not lose these.`
>
> How to remove the housing mystified me, but I found that it was held
> on by five tabs, which I could depress with an old butter knife,
> allowing me to slide the housing downwards.
> The power cord is connected to a terminal block, which in turn is connected
> to two blue wires. One blue wire goes to a microswitch, which is closed
> when the bean hopper is properly installed. From there, another blue wire
> leads to the grinding timer switch. From there, a white wire goes to
> a little circuit board with a MZ-23 PTC thermistor on it, and four diodes..
> Red and black wires from the motor go to this PCB.
>
> Measuring continuity with a VOM was not very fruitful, so I turned
> the timer switch to 10, plugged the grinder in, and manually closed
> the microswitch. Success! as the motor spun.
>
> Monday I will try to order a new bean hopper, and perhaps a new
> microswitch, direct from Capresso.

The microswitch on the bean hopper is there so the grinder won't run if the hopper is improperly installed. It is not necessary if you pay attention when installing the bean hopper. You can remove it and connect the two wires, properly insulate the connection with electrical tape and you are good to go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

We tried to grind a pound of coffee all at once. The grinder overheated and stopped working. Did we burn up the motor? Please help! Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
> wrote:

> We tried to grind a pound of coffee all at once. The grinder overheated and
> stopped working. Did we burn up the motor? Please help! Cathy

You may have tripped a GFI or breaker depending on what else was
running at the same time. Does anything else work in the same outlet?
If not, reset the GFI or breaker, otherwise, contact the seller or
manufacturer. Best I have.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 10:22:06 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >,
> > wrote:
>
> > We tried to grind a pound of coffee all at once. The grinder overheated and
> > stopped working. Did we burn up the motor? Please help! Cathy

> You may have tripped a GFI or breaker depending on what else was
> running at the same time. Does anything else work in the same outlet?
> If not, reset the GFI or breaker, otherwise, contact the seller or
> manufacturer. Best I have.
>
> leo

What I'd like to know is why anyone would grind a whole pound of coffee at
once? Coffee looses it flavor once ground even if sealed tightly. Why not
grind what you only need daily?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 11:26:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 10:22:06 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> >
> > In article >,
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > We tried to grind a pound of coffee all at once. The grinder overheated and
> > > stopped working. Did we burn up the motor? Please help! Cathy

> > You may have tripped a GFI or breaker depending on what else was
> > running at the same time. Does anything else work in the same outlet?
> > If not, reset the GFI or breaker, otherwise, contact the seller or
> > manufacturer. Best I have.
> >
> > leo
> >

> What I'd like to know is why anyone would grind a whole pound of coffee at
> once? Coffee looses it flavor once ground even if sealed tightly. Why not
> grind what you only need daily?

Because I make coffee first thing in the morning. I want it fast, and
I don't want to stop to grind.

Nor do I want to hear the grinder at 4 am.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 03:09:49 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 11:26:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 10:22:06 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> >
>> > In article >,

>> > You may have tripped a GFI or breaker depending on what else was
>> > running at the same time. Does anything else work in the same outlet?
>> > If not, reset the GFI or breaker, otherwise, contact the seller or
>> > manufacturer. Best I have.
>> >
>> > leo
>> >

>> What I'd like to know is why anyone would grind a whole pound of coffee at
>> once? Coffee looses it flavor once ground even if sealed tightly. Why not
>> grind what you only need daily?

>Because I make coffee first thing in the morning. I want it fast, and
>I don't want to stop to grind.
>
>Nor do I want to hear the grinder at 4 am.

I tend to get up before my wife does. If I'd start grinding coffee at
5 am, I'd wake her up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2018 6:47 AM, Bruce wrote:

>> Because I make coffee first thing in the morning. I want it fast, and
>> I don't want to stop to grind.
>>
>> Nor do I want to hear the grinder at 4 am.

> I tend to get up before my wife does. If I'd start grinding coffee at
> 5 am, I'd wake her up.

Does she sleep in the kitchen?

My wife never gets up from the grinder but the coffee is for her anyway.
I drink tea. Much quieter, more civilized.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 8:14:48 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/8/2018 6:47 AM, Bruce wrote:
>

> >> Because I make coffee first thing in the morning. I want it fast, and
> >> I don't want to stop to grind.
> >>
> >> Nor do I want to hear the grinder at 4 am.

> > I tend to get up before my wife does. If I'd start grinding coffee at
> > 5 am, I'd wake her up.
> >

> Does she sleep in the kitchen?

Don't know about Bruce, but I have a small ranch-style house with
hardwood floors. You can hear everything everywhere in the house.
While the coffee is brewing, I sit in the bedroom. When I hear
it is done burbling I know it's ready. The grinder is a hell of a
lot louder than that.

> My wife never gets up from the grinder but the coffee is for her anyway.
> I drink tea. Much quieter, more civilized.

Tea is ok. But first thing in the morning it has to be coffee.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2018 2:03 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Tea is ok. But first thing in the morning it has to be coffee.

Yes.
Coffee in the morning, tea for the rest of the day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Jun 2018 20:47:16 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 03:09:49 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>>> What I'd like to know is why anyone would grind a whole pound of coffee at
>>> once? Coffee looses it flavor once ground even if sealed tightly. Why not
>>> grind what you only need daily?

>>Because I make coffee first thing in the morning. I want it fast, and
>>I don't want to stop to grind.
>>
>>Nor do I want to hear the grinder at 4 am.

>I tend to get up before my wife does. If I'd start grinding coffee at
>5 am, I'd wake her up.

Someone with a functioning brain would grind their coffee and set up
their coffee brewer the evening prior... it's not rocket science... I
did that for many years. Only ignoranuses grind coffee in the early
morning while others are sleeping. Coffee grinders are very loud, and
also messy... normal folks don't want to be futzing with a coffee
grinder first thing in the early morning.

Anyone who needs the entire pound ground at once should be buying
already ground coffee or grind it in the store's grinder... and then
there's no reason to own a coffee mill... if the motor burned out toss
it in the trash, you really don't need a coffee mill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 06:03:11 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>> > I tend to get up before my wife does. If I'd start grinding coffee at
>> > 5 am, I'd wake her up.
>> >

>> Does she sleep in the kitchen?

>Don't know about Bruce, but I have a small ranch-style house with
>hardwood floors. You can hear everything everywhere in the house.
>While the coffee is brewing, I sit in the bedroom. When I hear
>it is done burbling I know it's ready. The grinder is a hell of a
>lot louder than that.
>
>> My wife never gets up from the grinder but the coffee is for her anyway.
>> I drink tea. Much quieter, more civilized.

>Tea is ok. But first thing in the morning it has to be coffee.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I now grind once a week because I am just so not into grinding
everyday anymore. I want my coffee now.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 8:53:27 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> Someone with a functioning brain would grind their coffee and set up
> their coffee brewer the evening prior... it's not rocket science... I
> did that for many years.

I did that once or twice and did not care for the results. I use COLD
water from a water jug in the refrigerator and f-r-e-s-h-l-y ground
beans.

> Only ignoranuses grind coffee in the early
> morning while others are sleeping. Coffee grinders are very loud, and
> also messy... normal folks don't want to be futzing with a coffee
> grinder first thing in the early morning.

I've got a burr grinder and yes, it makes noise but it's not like a buzz
saw. The grounds drop right into it's accompanying jar ready to be dumped
into the brew basket. It's not rocket science.

> Anyone who needs the entire pound ground at once should be buying
> already ground coffee or grind it in the store's grinder... and then
> there's no reason to own a coffee mill... if the motor burned out toss
> it in the trash, you really don't need a coffee mill.

Agree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jun 2018 20:47:16 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 03:09:49 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Because I make coffee first thing in the morning. I want it fast, and
>>> I don't want to stop to grind.
>>>
>>> Nor do I want to hear the grinder at 4 am.

>> I tend to get up before my wife does. If I'd start grinding coffee at
>> 5 am, I'd wake her up.

> Someone with a functioning brain would grind their coffee and set up
> their coffee brewer the evening prior... it's not rocket science... I
> did that for many years. Only ignoranuses grind coffee in the early
> morning while others are sleeping. Coffee grinders are very loud, and
> also messy... normal folks don't want to be futzing with a coffee
> grinder first thing in the early morning.
>
> Anyone who needs the entire pound ground at once should be buying
> already ground coffee or grind it in the store's grinder... and then
> there's no reason to own a coffee mill... if the motor burned out toss
> it in the trash, you really don't need a coffee mill.

OK, thanks Popeye. What sort of coffee do yoose think should we be using?

Jewish Kosher maybe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> wrote:
> > I don't think people realize how quickly coffee loses it flavor
> > once ground.

> Meh. Up until a few years ago I drank instant.

I've always switched to instant for a few months, then back to
brewed. It's variety.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 08:14:44 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/8/2018 6:47 AM, Bruce wrote:
>

>>> Because I make coffee first thing in the morning. I want it fast, and
>>> I don't want to stop to grind.
>>>
>>> Nor do I want to hear the grinder at 4 am.

>> I tend to get up before my wife does. If I'd start grinding coffee at
>> 5 am, I'd wake her up.
>>

>Does she sleep in the kitchen?

No But the kitchen and the bedroom share a wall.

>My wife never gets up from the grinder but the coffee is for her anyway.
> I drink tea. Much quieter, more civilized.

I'll never understand tea.