Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jura Capresso 565 Grinder Repair update

Our grinder suddenly stopped grinding one morning. The bean hopper
had a section cracked out at the bottom. So we replaced the hopper,
and it still didn't grind.

A miniature microswitch completes the power circuit when the hopper
is in place, and turned to a grind position. The nubbin no longer
sticks out far enough to be actuated. Jura carries no replacement
switches.

But the Philmore Sub-Mini Snap Action Switch with Pin Plunger
Part No. 30-2500, which I just bought at Frys, appears to be a drop-in
replacement. Its nubbin stands proud of the housing, which appears
to be identical. So for $2 I can get this thing going again.

(I know how to work with 120VAC, solder, use heat shrink tubing, etc.)

I will tack on a response to this when I have finished the repair.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Our grinder suddenly stopped grinding one morning. The bean hopper
> had a section cracked out at the bottom. So we replaced the hopper,
> and it still didn't grind.
>
> A miniature microswitch completes the power circuit when the hopper
> is in place, and turned to a grind position. The nubbin no longer
> sticks out far enough to be actuated. Jura carries no replacement
> switches.
>
> But the Philmore Sub-Mini Snap Action Switch with Pin Plunger
> Part No. 30-2500, which I just bought at Frys, appears to be a drop-in
> replacement. Its nubbin stands proud of the housing, which appears
> to be identical. So for $2 I can get this thing going again.
>
> (I know how to work with 120VAC, solder, use heat shrink tubing, etc.)
>
> I will tack on a response to this when I have finished the repair.

Yes, with the new microswitch in, the grinder works as new. I just clipped
the leads from the old microswitch, unscrewed the screw and removed it,
placed the new microswitch, stripped the connecting wires, slid a
little 1/8 in heat shrink over each lead, inserted a lead in each of
the left two terminals, crimped them with long nose pliers, soldered
them, then pulled up the heatshrink to cover the terminals, shrinking
the tubing with an old hair dryer.

Cautions: For disassembly, crank bean hopper either clockwise of
counter clockwise. Remove bean hopper and lid, and grounds
reservoir. Remove top grinding assembly.
For plastic body models, pry housing from bottom at five
spots (Spots are obvious.) I used an old butter knife.

Mark brown plastic ring against some feature, and remove from
yellow flange. This aligns the bean hopper to the grinder, and
also aligns the grinder fineness setting. So you want the brown
ring to align to the grinder settings when complete.
Then remove and replace microswitch per above.
Finally, realign and replace brown ring to yellow flange.
You may want to stick the bean hopper into the brown ring
and twist from one end to the other, to make sure it is
in alignment.
Then remove bean hopper and slide housing back down over
base. Replace bean hopper, plug grinder in, turn timer switch
above zero, and twist bean hopper to desired setting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Our grinder suddenly stopped grinding one morning. The bean hopper
> had a section cracked out at the bottom. So we replaced the hopper,
> and it still didn't grind.
>
> A miniature microswitch completes the power circuit when the hopper
> is in place, and turned to a grind position. The nubbin no longer
> sticks out far enough to be actuated. Jura carries no replacement
> switches.
>
> But the Philmore Sub-Mini Snap Action Switch with Pin Plunger
> Part No. 30-2500, which I just bought at Frys, appears to be a drop-in
> replacement. Its nubbin stands proud of the housing, which appears
> to be identical. So for $2 I can get this thing going again.
>
> (I know how to work with 120VAC, solder, use heat shrink tubing, etc.)
>
> I will tack on a response to this when I have finished the repair.

Thank you for your posting on this subject. I have no experience with electrical stuff, but your directions were pretty good. I had the same problem, I called capresso/Jura and they were of no help, other than I could pay to send it in, then buy a refurbished one for $100. Hahaha. Anyway, I bought the part you suggested from Fry's and it fixed the problem. I got the whole thing put back together, but my grind steps aren't working now. All steps grind SUPER fine. I thought it was maybe the center retaining screw, but that didn't seem to adjust the grind size. Did you happen to run into this same problem? It has me perplexed. Thanks for any tips.