Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Freezing sauerkraut?

Yesterday I thawed some sauerkraut and meatballs I froze a while
back. Either my taste buds are failing or it had lost its sour
taste. I Googled but saw nothing about this 'problem'. Anyone
else ever notice this? It was fine when I froze it.

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Mar 2016 13:43:30 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> Yesterday I thawed some sauerkraut and meatballs I froze a while
> back. Either my taste buds are failing or it had lost its sour
> taste. I Googled but saw nothing about this 'problem'. Anyone
> else ever notice this? It was fine when I froze it.

No idea. Hubby hates sauerkraut, so we never eat it at home and I
only eat it in a Rubin sandwich. Do you have any more? Maybe a dash
of vinegar will help it.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK > wrote:

> Yesterday I thawed some sauerkraut and meatballs I froze a while
> back. Either my taste buds are failing or it had lost its sour
> taste. I Googled but saw nothing about this 'problem'. Anyone
> else ever notice this? It was fine when I froze it.

Freezing sauerkraut does indeed change its taste and I posted about it
once. The ice crystals form, rupturing the cell walls; some of the
organic acids break down; the saccharose gets inverted. The sauerkraut
gets softer and sweeter in a different and somewhat more intensive way.
Some acidity ought to be still there, though.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news:ecsgebdbge4stpnqgi3b8331f65ptsmeu3@
4ax.com:

> On 15 Mar 2016 13:43:30 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I thawed some sauerkraut and meatballs I froze a while
>> back. Either my taste buds are failing or it had lost its sour
>> taste. I Googled but saw nothing about this 'problem'. Anyone
>> else ever notice this? It was fine when I froze it.
>>

> No idea. Hubby hates sauerkraut, so we never eat it at home and I
> only eat it in a Rubin sandwich. Do you have any more?

Yes, about three more batches in the freezer. Still have thw last of it
left over from the first frozen batch for supper - I use it spread over
dumplings.

> Maybe a dash of vinegar will help it.

The thought had crossed my mind. I wonder if this is same sour taste as
normal sauerkraut?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 12:44:13 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> sf > wrote in news:ecsgebdbge4stpnqgi3b8331f65ptsmeu3@
> 4ax.com:
>
> > On 15 Mar 2016 13:43:30 GMT, KenK > wrote:
> >
> >> Yesterday I thawed some sauerkraut and meatballs I froze a while
> >> back. Either my taste buds are failing or it had lost its sour
> >> taste. I Googled but saw nothing about this 'problem'. Anyone
> >> else ever notice this? It was fine when I froze it.
> >>

> > No idea. Hubby hates sauerkraut, so we never eat it at home and I
> > only eat it in a Rubin sandwich. Do you have any more?

> Yes, about three more batches in the freezer. Still have thw last of it
> left over from the first frozen batch for supper - I use it spread over
> dumplings.
>
> > Maybe a dash of vinegar will help it.

> The thought had crossed my mind. I wonder if this is same sour taste as
> normal sauerkraut?

Not the same. Vinegar is acetic acid while sauerkraut is
lactic acid. It might be good anyway.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

[i don't think it's much different, really]

food tastes different,
depending on how you feel, any particular day

hungry, full
tired
sick
starved,
just out of a concentration camp hungry
eating becuase it's time to eat, and not really hungry

etc etc

marc
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.driving,alt.war.vietnam

Default Kenny the Kook talks about "Freezing sauerkraut"

On 3/15/2016 6:43 AM, KenK wrote:
> Yesterday I thawed some sauerkraut and meatballs I froze a while
> back. Either my taste buds are failing or it had lost its sour
> taste. I Googled but saw nothing about this 'problem'. Anyone
> else ever notice this? It was fine when I froze it.
>
> TIA

Wot I can tell you about that pickled cabbages is that it makes me shit
like a goose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 12:24:40 PM UTC-4, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
> On 3/15/2016 6:43 AM, KenK wrote:
> > Yesterday I thawed some sauerkraut and meatballs I froze a while
> > back. Either my taste buds are failing or it had lost its sour
> > taste. I Googled but saw nothing about this 'problem'. Anyone
> > else ever notice this? It was fine when I froze it.
> >
> > TIA
> >

> Wot I can tell you about that pickled cabbages is that it makes me shit
> like a goose.

Pickled cabbages make you shit on the windshield of my car?
Weird.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.driving,alt.war.vietnam

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:24:37 -0700, "Colon Edmud Jackass Burchese of
Upper Michigan" > wrote:

>On 3/15/2016 6:43 AM, KenK wrote:
>> Yesterday I thawed some sauerkraut and meatballs I froze a while
>> back. Either my taste buds are failing or it had lost its sour
>> taste. I Googled but saw nothing about this 'problem'. Anyone
>> else ever notice this? It was fine when I froze it.
>>
>> TIA
>>

>Wot I can tell you about that pickled cabbages is that it makes me shit
>like a goose.

You should try the fermented Korean shite (kimchi), KKKoloon. That'll
make yer goose look constipated!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.driving,alt.war.vietnam

On 3/17/2016 3:00 PM, NEMO wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:24:37 -0700, "Colon Edmud Jackass Burchese of
> Upper Michigan" > wrote:
>
>> On 3/15/2016 6:43 AM, KenK wrote:
>>> Yesterday I thawed some sauerkraut and meatballs I froze a while
>>> back. Either my taste buds are failing or it had lost its sour
>>> taste. I Googled but saw nothing about this 'problem'. Anyone
>>> else ever notice this? It was fine when I froze it.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> Wot I can tell you about that pickled cabbages is that it makes me shit
>> like a goose.

> You should try the fermented Korean shite (kimchi), KKKoloon. That'll
> make yer goose look constipated!

The only chink stuff I eats, Miss Recktum, is chink pussy.

Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.war.vietnam,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 07:24:54 -0700, "Colon Edmud Jackass Burchese of
Upper Michigan" > wrote:

>On 3/17/2016 3:00 PM, NEMO wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:24:37 -0700, "Colon Edmud Jackass Burchese of
>> Upper Michigan" > wrote:

>>> Wot I can tell you about that pickled cabbages is that it makes me shit
>>> like a goose.

>> You should try the fermented Korean shite (kimchi), KKKoloon. That'll
>> make yer goose look constipated!
>>

>The only chink stuff I eats, Miss Recktum, is chink pussy.

You mean gook ladyboy 'pussy', KKKoloon!
Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.war.vietnam,rec.food.cooking

On 3/18/2016 11:49 AM, NEMO wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 07:24:54 -0700, "Colon Edmud Jackass Burchese of
> Upper Michigan" > wrote:
>
>> On 3/17/2016 3:00 PM, NEMO wrote:

>>> You should try the fermented Korean shite (kimchi), KKKoloon. That'll
>>> make yer goose look constipated!
>>>

>> The only chink stuff I eats, Miss Recktum, is chink pussy.

> You mean gook ladyboy 'pussy', KKKoloon!

I looked the word "pussy" up, and it said "see miss Recktum."
LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I freeze kraut all the time because I can't finish a whole package in a reasonable
amount of time...it always maintains its sour-ness ....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

>I freeze kraut all the time because I can't finish a whole package in a reasonable
>amount of time...it always maintains its sour-ness ....

But then it'll be limp and flaccid like a you know what... you'd never
want to use it... were it me I'd use the left overs in some recipe,
I've used left over sauerkraut in my bread machine, makes wonderful
rye breads:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/17808/s...aut-rye-bread/
Don't toss the kraut juice, makes great bloody marys.
For fantastic kraut2nis use kraut juice in place of vermouth... and
toss those faux pimentos and stuff the olives with kraut.
http://www.sauerkrautrecipes.com/rec...uerkraut-cake/
http://www.anaffairfromtheheart.com/.../reuben-pizza/
Mo
http://www.sauerkrautrecipes.com/rec...e/main-dishes/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Nancy2 wrote:
> >
> > I freeze kraut all the time because I can't finish a whole package
> > in a reasonable amount of time...it always maintains its sour-ness

> But then it'll be limp and flaccid like a you know what... you'd never
> want to use it... were it me I'd use the left overs in some recipe,
> I've used left over sauerkraut in my bread machine, makes wonderful
> rye breads:
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/17808/s...aut-rye-bread/
> Don't toss the kraut juice, makes great bloody marys.
> For fantastic kraut2nis use kraut juice in place of vermouth... and
> toss those faux pimentos and stuff the olives with kraut.
> http://www.sauerkrautrecipes.com/rec...uerkraut-cake/
> http://www.anaffairfromtheheart.com/.../reuben-pizza/
> Mo
> http://www.sauerkrautrecipes.com/rec...e/main-dishes/

WOW! Sheldon, that looks AWESOME for a bread machine. Its the first
link there and i think this looks like a keeper here.

Charlotte and Don do not like the idea of it but i want to try it. I
have everything but the sauerkraut. (regular butter, Kerry gold not
required).

Do you think a canned type would work? It's not a food item seen here
often so I'd have to go out and get some. Canned would be easier to
find here.

I can tell drain the krout really well and make this in dough mode then
let rise in peace for 1.5 hours then bake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 11:07:55 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Nancy2 wrote:
>> >
>> > I freeze kraut all the time because I can't finish a whole package
>> > in a reasonable amount of time...it always maintains its sour-ness

>> But then it'll be limp and flaccid like a you know what... you'd never
>> want to use it... were it me I'd use the left overs in some recipe,
>> I've used left over sauerkraut in my bread machine, makes wonderful
>> rye breads:
>> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/17808/s...aut-rye-bread/
>> Don't toss the kraut juice, makes great bloody marys.
>> For fantastic kraut2nis use kraut juice in place of vermouth... and
>> toss those faux pimentos and stuff the olives with kraut.
>> http://www.sauerkrautrecipes.com/rec...uerkraut-cake/
>> http://www.anaffairfromtheheart.com/.../reuben-pizza/
>> Mo
>> http://www.sauerkrautrecipes.com/rec...e/main-dishes/

>WOW! Sheldon, that looks AWESOME for a bread machine. Its the first
>link there and i think this looks like a keeper here.
>
>Do you think a canned type would work? It's not a food item seen here
>often so I'd have to go out and get some. Canned would be easier to
>find here.

I think Silver Floss brand is better than most from a plastic IV bag.
I like their Bavarian style because I like caraway seeds.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Silver-Flo....4-Oz/10452864
They sometimes have the 27 ounce size so I get those.
I'd like to try their other flavors but I haven't seen them:
http://glkfoods.com/OurBrands.html
I never have left over sauerkraut to refrigerate, I can easily finish
the entire can in one sitting, even the large can. I can eat a can of
Silver Floss and a can of Spam for brunch and won't need to eat until
the next day... and it's a fantastic way to clean the digestive tract.

Sauerkraut The Cook Preserving 3 20-06-2008 01:16 PM
Tip for freezing sauerkraut. Dee.Dee General Cooking 5 30-01-2008 06:25 PM
sauerkraut ellen wickberg Preserving 1 02-04-2006 06:50 PM
Sauerkraut Mister Fixit Preserving 0 26-09-2005 02:51 AM
Sauerkraut George Shirley Preserving 9 16-03-2004 08:56 AM