George Shirley

Default Sauerkraut

Just salted and set up 7 quarts of kraut using Bob's method. They're
sitting in the dark in the pantry now with the lids loosely fastened.
The ten lbs of cabbage was three heads out of our garden with the heart
(core) removed. We ate the hearts, even the dog likes them. Only time
will tell.

Didn't have a clean hammer handle so cut a 18 inch piece of new one-inch
quarter round, whittled a handle on one end and used that to compress
the cabbage. Roughly two and one-half quarts per head.

George

zxcvbob

George Shirley wrote:

> Just salted and set up 7 quarts of kraut using Bob's method. They're
> sitting in the dark in the pantry now with the lids loosely fastened.
> The ten lbs of cabbage was three heads out of our garden with the heart
> (core) removed. We ate the hearts, even the dog likes them. Only time
> will tell.
>
> Didn't have a clean hammer handle so cut a 18 inch piece of new one-inch
> quarter round, whittled a handle on one end and used that to compress
> the cabbage. Roughly two and one-half quarts per head.
>
> George

You didn't use a hammer handle? Uh oh....

:-) The cabbage loopers ate all my cabbage in the garden last year. I
bought 5 big heads of cabbage today for 15 cents/pound for making
sauerkraut. This is the first cabbage I've seen for less than 30 cents in
about 5 or 6 years. They average 4.5 pounds each; I wish they were whiter
but they are really green. Maybe they'll be nice and pale when I peel the
outer leaves off.

I think I'll try using half-gallon jars and Ball plastic lids this time.

I have beef jerky in the dehydrator. I made some last week, and Daughter
said it wasn't good enough to give away. She was right; it sucked, and I
don't know why. I guess the meat wasn't very good.

Best regards,
Bob
George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Just salted and set up 7 quarts of kraut using Bob's method. They're
>> sitting in the dark in the pantry now with the lids loosely fastened.
>> The ten lbs of cabbage was three heads out of our garden with the
>> heart (core) removed. We ate the hearts, even the dog likes them. Only
>> time will tell.
>>
>> Didn't have a clean hammer handle so cut a 18 inch piece of new
>> one-inch quarter round, whittled a handle on one end and used that to
>> compress the cabbage. Roughly two and one-half quarts per head.
>>
>> George
>>

> You didn't use a hammer handle? Uh oh....
>
> :-) The cabbage loopers ate all my cabbage in the garden last year. I
> bought 5 big heads of cabbage today for 15 cents/pound for making
> sauerkraut. This is the first cabbage I've seen for less than 30 cents
> in about 5 or 6 years. They average 4.5 pounds each; I wish they were
> whiter but they are really green. Maybe they'll be nice and pale when I
> peel the outer leaves off.

I have the answer to cabbage loopers - Bt, Bacillus thuringea (sp?). I
spray the baby plants and then every two weeks and sooner if it rains.
Soon as them little caterpillars taste it they get kilt daid by the
bacteria, which does no harm to humans. The bug zapper light I hang out
by the garden does its part too. Doesn't bother skeeters or beneficial
pests but attracts the cabbage moth and flying termites by the jillion.
Usually have to go out and clean the wires off the next day. Only need
it every other year or so and the looper were no where in sight this winter.

> I think I'll try using half-gallon jars and Ball plastic lids this time.
>
> I have beef jerky in the dehydrator. I made some last week, and
> Daughter said it wasn't good enough to give away. She was right; it
> sucked, and I don't know why. I guess the meat wasn't very good.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I have some gallon jars and plastic lids but thought I would go with the
quart jars this time. If it works as advertised then next winter I will
do a couple of gallons.

I have two Tatume squash on the shelf under lights here in my office and
both are only about six inches high but have three or four male flowers
each. Better warm up soon outside or I may have a new houseplant taking
over the room.

George

Scott

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Just salted and set up 7 quarts of kraut using Bob's method. They're
> sitting in the dark in the pantry now with the lids loosely fastened.
> The ten lbs of cabbage was three heads out of our garden with the heart
> (core) removed. We ate the hearts, even the dog likes them. Only time
> will tell.

By a very odd coincidence, I just put up some kraut today, too.

please mail OT responses only
Bpyboy

Yeah, how do you prepare the cores? mine end up (along with lettuce cores) in
a compost heap! I was preparing one the other day, and was thinking the
texture of the core would be a lot like water chesnuts, or bamboo shoots (I was
doing a stir fry). Can you just slice them up, and throw then into the wok for
a little while

George Shirley

wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:40:46 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>

>>Today I am dehydrating another eight trays of flat leaf parsley. Sat
>>around last night watching TV, clipping the leaves off and chewing on
>>the stems. Waste not want not. <BG>
>>

> I don't want to live down south, I really don't. I detest
> heat and humidity, it makes me physically ill.

I'm the same way about the cold where you live. I have angina and the
cold seriously aggravates the stuff. I was born on this Gulf Coast and
when I die and am cremated my ashes are going to be scattered over the
Gulf by friends I've fished with in this life.

> But this time of year.... when we're still in cold winter
> and longing to see green leaves on the trees, and I'm
> longing for fresh green stuff to eat... I really can envy
> you your longer growing season.

I usually have the spring garden in the ground by now and green beans
and stuff growing. This is the coldest spring in the sixteen years we've
lived in this town. Here it is March fifteenth tomorrow and we have
nothing in the ground. Did discover that the mild and hot peppers from
last year have leafed out so I pruned them to clean out the dead parts
and fertilized them yesterday. Today we have a light rain falling so the
fertilizer for the fruit trees, blueberries, and peppers is getting
soaked into the ground.

> Oh well. We're building a hoophouse and at least one
> coldframe this spring, that will help extend the season for
> me.
>
> Pat

I have a corrugated fiberglas greenhouse and the exhaust fan runs most
of the winter. The long side faces west so from noon until about 5:30 pm
it gets full sun. The terrestrial orchid bloomed about three weeks ago
and was beautiful, the greenhouse did that for us.

I would like to live about one USDA zone north of here, something like
zone 8, we live in 9b. That way I could have more fruit trees.

George

George Shirley

bassboat wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message

>>>How do you eat the cores? Just slice and eat? (I'll be
>>>growing cabbage this year.)
>>>
>>>I've always thrown the cores away, but I won't do it anymore
>>>if we're missing something good....
>>>
>>>Pat

>>We usually eat them raw. Since a head of cabbage, steamed, will feed the
>>two of us for about four meals we don't have a lot of cores. They have a
>>slightly peppery taste, aka mild heat to them. The dog will actually
>>start dancing and begging if she smells the cabbage being cut up.
>>
>>I have sliced them into rounds and tossed them into the stir fry when
>>I'm also stir frying chopped cabbage. Stir fried they still have the
>>crunchy peppery taste. My kids never liked them but DW and I have always
>>eaten the heart of cabbage, most often as a crunchy snack.
>>
>>Today I am dehydrating another eight trays of flat leaf parsley. Sat
>>around last night watching TV, clipping the leaves off and chewing on
>>the stems. Waste not want not. <BG>
>>
>>George

> My dog also loves cabbage cores. He like just about any kind of raw
> vegetable. I have been feeding him raw carrots for about 9 months now. He
> was overweight and the vet suggesyed feeding him carrots instead of dog
> treats. He loves them and he is now at his proper weight of 90 pounds. He
> eats about 5 pounds of carrots a week. At $1.99 for 5 pounds its a lot
> cheaper than dog treats -
>
> John

My dog loves veggies, raw or cooked. She sometimes harvest her own
broccoli if there's any hanging close to the edge of the garden. She
knows not to go in there without permission. She hangs right around
18-20 lbs depending on the season of the year. Sleepy Dawg (that's her
middle name you know, Dawg) is a soon to be eight year old Rat Terrier
and is the terrifier of squirrels and cats. The neighbors Great Dane is
so afraid of her he won't even get close to the fence when she's out.

George

bassboat

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:09:55 -0600, George Shirley
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>Just salted and set up 7 quarts of kraut using Bob's method. They're
> >>sitting in the dark in the pantry now with the lids loosely fastened.
> >>The ten lbs of cabbage was three heads out of our garden with the heart
> >>(core) removed. We ate the hearts, even the dog likes them. Only time
> >>will tell.
> >>

> > How do you eat the cores? Just slice and eat? (I'll be
> > growing cabbage this year.)
> >
> > I've always thrown the cores away, but I won't do it anymore
> > if we're missing something good....
> >
> > Pat

> We usually eat them raw. Since a head of cabbage, steamed, will feed the
> two of us for about four meals we don't have a lot of cores. They have a
> slightly peppery taste, aka mild heat to them. The dog will actually
> start dancing and begging if she smells the cabbage being cut up.
>
> I have sliced them into rounds and tossed them into the stir fry when
> I'm also stir frying chopped cabbage. Stir fried they still have the
> crunchy peppery taste. My kids never liked them but DW and I have always
> eaten the heart of cabbage, most often as a crunchy snack.
>
> Today I am dehydrating another eight trays of flat leaf parsley. Sat
> around last night watching TV, clipping the leaves off and chewing on
> the stems. Waste not want not. <BG>
>
> George

My dog also loves cabbage cores. He like just about any kind of raw
vegetable. I have been feeding him raw carrots for about 9 months now. He
was overweight and the vet suggesyed feeding him carrots instead of dog
treats. He loves them and he is now at his proper weight of 90 pounds. He
eats about 5 pounds of carrots a week. At $1.99 for 5 pounds its a lot
cheaper than dog treats -

John

pickle

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
> zxcvbob wrote:
> > George Shirley wrote:
> >
> >> Just salted and set up 7 quarts of kraut using Bob's method. They're
> >> sitting in the dark in the pantry now with the lids loosely fastened.
> >> The ten lbs of cabbage was three heads out of our garden with the
> >> heart (core) removed. We ate the hearts, even the dog likes them. Only
> >> time will tell.
> >>
> >> Didn't have a clean hammer handle so cut a 18 inch piece of new
> >> one-inch quarter round, whittled a handle on one end and used that to
> >> compress the cabbage. Roughly two and one-half quarts per head.
> >>
> >> George
> >>

> > You didn't use a hammer handle? Uh oh....
> >
> > :-) The cabbage loopers ate all my cabbage in the garden last year. I
> > bought 5 big heads of cabbage today for 15 cents/pound for making
> > sauerkraut. This is the first cabbage I've seen for less than 30 cents
> > in about 5 or 6 years. They average 4.5 pounds each; I wish they were
> > whiter but they are really green. Maybe they'll be nice and pale when I
> > peel the outer leaves off.

Say Hey !!

A 10 kilo (22 lbs) load of cabbage sells for about $1.00 USD here in Chiang
Mai, Thailand.

Sauerkraut George Shirley Preserving 6 01-04-2010 05:28 PM
Sauerkraut The Cook Preserving 3 20-06-2008 01:16 PM
Sauerkraut Taemon Vegan 7 03-11-2005 02:01 PM
sauerkraut Dawn Preserving 10 14-09-2004 04:36 PM