Old 30-01-2008, 01:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tip for freezing sauerkraut.

Thanks, Wayne, for letting us know that sauerkraut can be frozen. I have
bought as of late good quality sauerkraut in a jar and have discarded
perhaps 2/3 of it each time. The expense is one part of the discouragement,
but to lose a good portion of a good product is hard to take.

From a purchase yesteday of 8 thick pork chops weighing 5#, ending up
costing $10.00 (with my coupon of $5 off), I set them side-up in a slow
cooker (outside underneath the eves, because it was misting cold rain all
day) for about 6-1/2 hours.
I dripped separately on each a concentrate of pomegranate juice, a little
worcestshire sauce, and balsamic, salt and pepper.
Pretty good.

I had frozen the sauerkraut into a pint Ball jar, which I had taken out
yesterday and put into the refrigerator. It pulled out of the jar perfectly
and placed with a little water into a heavy ss pan and heated.

Left-over pinto beans, stalks of celery and carrots. Good meal for us.

The other 6 pork chops will go into the freezer in separate packages. One
or two will be used in tortillas, pulled.

Thanks again, Wayne for your tip. It is a lasting gift.
Dee Dee

Old 30-01-2008, 02:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 29 Jan 2008 05:54:41p, Dee.Dee told us...

Thanks, Wayne, for letting us know that sauerkraut can be frozen. I
have bought as of late good quality sauerkraut in a jar and have
discarded perhaps 2/3 of it each time. The expense is one part of the
discouragement, but to lose a good portion of a good product is hard to
take.

From a purchase yesteday of 8 thick pork chops weighing 5#, ending up
costing $10.00 (with my coupon of $5 off), I set them side-up in a slow
cooker (outside underneath the eves, because it was misting cold rain
all day) for about 6-1/2 hours.
I dripped separately on each a concentrate of pomegranate juice, a
little worcestshire sauce, and balsamic, salt and pepper.
Pretty good.

I had frozen the sauerkraut into a pint Ball jar, which I had taken out
yesterday and put into the refrigerator. It pulled out of the jar
perfectly and placed with a little water into a heavy ss pan and heated.

Left-over pinto beans, stalks of celery and carrots. Good meal for us.

The other 6 pork chops will go into the freezer in separate packages.
One or two will be used in tortillas, pulled.

Thanks again, Wayne for your tip. It is a lasting gift.
Dee Dee

You're very welcome, Dee. Those porks chops sound really delicious. I've
copied it down and will try it.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 01(I)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Ignorance can be cured -- but stupid
is forever.

Old 30-01-2008, 01:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 6:54 pm, "Dee.Dee" wrote:
Thanks, Wayne, for letting us know that sauerkraut can be frozen. I have
bought as of late good quality sauerkraut in a jar and have discarded
perhaps 2/3 of it each time. The expense is one part of the discouragement,
but to lose a good portion of a good product is hard to take.
Dee Dee

Just curious but how long did it take for your kraut to go bad? Did
it develop visibles or an off-taste? Or maybe an off-off-taste since
kraut starts out kinda off.
Old 30-01-2008, 02:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"stark" wrote in message
On Jan 29, 6:54 pm, "Dee.Dee" wrote:
Thanks, Wayne, for letting us know that sauerkraut can be frozen. I have
bought as of late good quality sauerkraut in a jar and have discarded
perhaps 2/3 of it each time. The expense is one part of the
discouragement,
but to lose a good portion of a good product is hard to take.
Dee Dee

Just curious but how long did it take for your kraut to go bad? Did
it develop visibles or an off-taste? Or maybe an off-off-taste since
kraut starts out kinda off.

Actually, I don't know if it did go bad, but the time it was left in the
refrigerator for an amount of time, and the fact that these 2-3 brands I
bought were not the usually heavily salted sauerkraut, time in the
refrigerator was my guide to dumping it. (And I wasn't quite up to tasting
it at that point ;-)))

Wish I could be of more help -- I couldn't even help myself in this
instance.

Dee Dee

Old 30-01-2008, 06:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 30, 7:35 am, "Dee.Dee" wrote:
"stark" wrote in message

Just curious but how long did it take for your kraut to go bad? Did
it develop visibles or an off-taste? Or maybe an off-off-taste since
kraut starts out kinda off.

Actually, I don't know if it did go bad, but the time it was left in the
refrigerator for an amount of time, and the fact that these 2-3 brands I
bought were not the usually heavily salted sauerkraut, time in the
refrigerator was my guide to dumping it. (And I wasn't quite up to tasting
it at that point ;-)))

Wish I could be of more help -- I couldn't even help myself in this
instance.

No problem. But you did have me worried. I keep opened Kraut in the
fridge pretty much all the time. I get cravings for it. Busch,
Claussen, Boar's Head, Kroger store brand. Might be a month, maybe
longer. But it still tastes like Kraut and I've had no adverse
reactions. 'Cept maybe bad breath for a while.

Old 30-01-2008, 07:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"stark" wrote in message
On Jan 30, 7:35 am, "Dee.Dee" wrote:
"stark" wrote in message

[...]

I know what you mean -- there is no better craving to satisfy than one
satisfied by a bite of sauerkraut. Maybe I'll let it go 10 days -- I'm
thinking.
Dee Dee

Freezing sauerkraut? KenK General Cooking 18 20-03-2016 05:51 PM
Sauerkraut The Cook Preserving 3 20-06-2008 01:16 PM
sauerkraut ellen wickberg Preserving 1 02-04-2006 06:50 PM
Sauerkraut Mister Fixit Preserving 0 26-09-2005 02:51 AM
Sauerkraut George Shirley Preserving 9 16-03-2004 09:56 AM