Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Convection cooking

I bought a new toaster ove a while back. It's a Breville and has a fan for
convection cooking. A few things I've baked in it using the temp/time directions
in the recipe seemed to come out slightly overdone. This is my first experience
with convection cooking. Amd I supposed to be adjusting times or temps when
using the fan? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rick Daly wrote:
> I bought a new toaster ove a while back. It's a Breville and has a fan for
> convection cooking. A few things I've baked in it using the temp/time directions
> in the recipe seemed to come out slightly overdone. This is my first experience
> with convection cooking. Amd I supposed to be adjusting times or temps when
> using the fan? Thanks.

It's not a bad idea to go about 10-20 degrees under what is suggested,
and watch the time too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-11-25, Rick Daly > wrote:

> in the recipe seemed to come out slightly overdone. This is my first experience
> with convection cooking. Amd I supposed to be adjusting times or temps when
> using the fan? Thanks.

Yes.

A fan in a convection oven does two things. It circulates the oven
temps more evenly so there are no hot-spots and it increases the temp
over what it would be if the fan were not turned on. The commercial
convection ovens we used in our little cooking school would increase
the real-life oven temperature by 50 deg F. So, an un-fanned temp of
300 deg F would increase to 350 deg F when the fan was switched on. I
cannot tell you what yer convection temp should be in yer particular
device, but it should be higher than when the fan is not on.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/25/2015 1:15 PM, Rick Daly wrote:
> I bought a new toaster ove a while back. It's a Breville and has a fan for
> convection cooking. A few things I've baked in it using the temp/time directions
> in the recipe seemed to come out slightly overdone. This is my first experience
> with convection cooking. Am I supposed to be adjusting times or temps when
> using the fan? Thanks.

The old rule I've seen is the 25-25. Lower the temperature 25 degrees
and cut the time by 25%.

The advantages of convection cooking is more even coking and faster
times. I prefer to cut the time and not the temperature, but YMMV with
different items.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 13:15:55 -0500, Rick Daly >
wrote:

>I bought a new toaster ove a while back. It's a Breville and has a fan for
>convection cooking. A few things I've baked in it using the temp/time directions
>in the recipe seemed to come out slightly overdone. This is my first experience
>with convection cooking. Amd I supposed to be adjusting times or temps when
>using the fan? Thanks.

Did you read the handbook ? You can use a lower temp and fan or fan,
high temp and far shorter time. Usually the book will give you
suggested times/temps

Posted to rec.food.cooking,ba.food

On 11/25/2015 11:15 AM, Rick Daly wrote:
> I bought a new toaster ove a while back. It's a Breville and has a fan for
> convection cooking. A few things I've baked in it using the temp/time directions
> in the recipe seemed to come out slightly overdone. This is my first experience
> with convection cooking. Amd I supposed to be adjusting times or temps when
> using the fan? Thanks.

"My mental health professional has directed me to apologize to this
group at large and to Marty and Steven in specific for acting out
here. A change in my medications is being made to address a disorder I
have been experiencing this summer. I will be monitored, but I am no
longer allowed to engage in certain activities I previously have
enjoyed as they exacerbate my condition. I apologize for being
disruptive, in a better state of mind this was generally not an issue
for me."

Casa Boner, Fri, 20 Sep 2013 18:37:53 -0600
--
Barbara J Llorente 71 Cerritos Ave San Francisco, CA 94127.
Age 65 (Born 1950) (415) 239-7248. Background Check - Available. Record

ID: 47846596.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,ba.food

Default Conviction cooking

On 11/25/2015 11:55 AM, Hidalgo wrote:
> Rick Daly wrote:
>> I bought a new toaster ove a while back. It's a Breville and has a fan
>> for
>> convection cooking. A few things I've baked in it using the temp/time
>> directions
>> in the recipe seemed to come out slightly overdone. This is my first
>> experience
>> with convection cooking. Amd I supposed to be adjusting times or temps
>> when
>> using the fan? Thanks.

"My mental health professional has directed me to apologize to this
group at large and to Marty and Steven in specific for acting out
here. A change in my medications is being made to address a disorder I
have been experiencing this summer. I will be monitored, but I am no
longer allowed to engage in certain activities I previously have
enjoyed as they exacerbate my condition. I apologize for being
disruptive, in a better state of mind this was generally not an issue
for me."

Casa Boner, Fri, 20 Sep 2013 18:37:53 -0600
--
Barbara J Llorente 71 Cerritos Ave San Francisco, CA 94127.
Age 65 (Born 1950) (415) 239-7248. Background Check - Available. Record

ID: 47846596.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,ba.food

On 11/25/2015 12:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/25/2015 1:15 PM, Rick Daly wrote:
>> I bought a new toaster ove a while back. It's a Breville and has a fan
>> for
>> convection cooking. A few things I've baked in it using the temp/time
>> directions
>> in the recipe seemed to come out slightly overdone. This is my first
>> experience
>> with convection cooking. Am I supposed to be adjusting times or temps
>> when
>> using the fan? Thanks.
>>

> The old rule I've seen is the 25-25. Lower the temperature 25 degrees
> and cut the time by 25%.
>
> The advantages of convection cooking is more even coking and faster
> times. I prefer to cut the time and not the temperature, but YMMV with
> different items.

"My mental health professional has directed me to apologize to this
group at large and to Marty and Steven in specific for acting out
here. A change in my medications is being made to address a disorder I
have been experiencing this summer. I will be monitored, but I am no
longer allowed to engage in certain activities I previously have
enjoyed as they exacerbate my condition. I apologize for being
disruptive, in a better state of mind this was generally not an issue
for me."

Casa Boner, Fri, 20 Sep 2013 18:37:53 -0600
--
Barbara J Llorente 71 Cerritos Ave San Francisco, CA 94127.
Age 65 (Born 1950) (415) 239-7248. Background Check - Available. Record

ID: 47846596.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,ba.food

On 11/25/2015 12:00 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-11-25, Rick Daly > wrote:
>
>> in the recipe seemed to come out slightly overdone. This is my first experience
>> with convection cooking. Amd I supposed to be adjusting times or temps when
>> using the fan? Thanks.

> Yes.
>
> A fan in a convection oven does two things. It circulates the oven
> temps more evenly so there are no hot-spots and it increases the temp
> over what it would be if the fan were not turned on. The commercial
> convection ovens we used in our little cooking school would increase
> the real-life oven temperature by 50 deg F. So, an un-fanned temp of
> 300 deg F would increase to 350 deg F when the fan was switched on. I
> cannot tell you what yer convection temp should be in yer particular
> device, but it should be higher than when the fan is not on.
>
> nb

"My mental health professional has directed me to apologize to this
group at large and to Marty and Steven in specific for acting out
here. A change in my medications is being made to address a disorder I
have been experiencing this summer. I will be monitored, but I am no
longer allowed to engage in certain activities I previously have
enjoyed as they exacerbate my condition. I apologize for being
disruptive, in a better state of mind this was generally not an issue
for me."

Casa Boner, Fri, 20 Sep 2013 18:37:53 -0600
--
Barbara J Llorente 71 Cerritos Ave San Francisco, CA 94127.
Age 65 (Born 1950) (415) 239-7248. Background Check - Available. Record

ID: 47846596.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/25/15 1:15 PM, Rick Daly wrote:
> I bought a new toaster ove a while back. It's a Breville and has a fan for
> convection cooking. A few things I've baked in it using the temp/time directions
> in the recipe seemed to come out slightly overdone. This is my first experience
> with convection cooking. Amd I supposed to be adjusting times or temps when
> using the fan? Thanks.

Most modern convection ovens automatically reduce the temperature by 25
degrees F when using induction. Check your manual...

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:41:45 -0500, pltrgyst > wrote:

>On 11/25/15 1:15 PM, Rick Daly wrote:
>> I bought a new toaster ove a while back. It's a Breville and has a fan for
>> convection cooking. A few things I've baked in it using the temp/time directions
>> in the recipe seemed to come out slightly overdone. This is my first experience
>> with convection cooking. Amd I supposed to be adjusting times or temps when
>> using the fan? Thanks.

>Most modern convection ovens automatically reduce the temperature by 25
>degrees F when using induction. Check your manual...
>
>-- Larry

What on earth are you two nattering about now? This is the perfect
example of why groups should be moderated.

--
Barbara J Llorente 71 Cerritos Ave San Francisco, CA 94127.

Convection Oven [email protected] Cooking Equipment 2 05-12-2007 03:55 PM
Convection Ovens Frank103 Baking 6 16-10-2006 08:06 PM
Convection or not LT General Cooking 7 07-02-2006 08:03 PM
Countertop convection oven vs. Microwave/Convection hood sid Cooking Equipment 2 23-06-2004 02:35 PM
Convection Cooking Scott O Baking 0 14-12-2003 07:37 PM