Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Convection Ovens

Can a convection oven bake cakes, breads, cookies etc. as well as a regular
oven? I've tried baking a few things in a toaster oven and was pleased with
the results other than being limited in size. I was wondering about
convection ovens and if someone can recommend a brand. Thanks in advance.
Frank

Posted to rec.food.baking

"Frank103" > wrote in message
> Can a convection oven bake cakes, breads, cookies etc. as well as a
> regular oven? I've tried baking a few things in a toaster oven and was
> pleased with the results other than being limited in size. I was wondering
> about convection ovens and if someone can recommend a brand. Thanks in
> advance.
> Frank

my old panasonic convection/micro finally died after about 15 years. it
worked great, it was big enough to bake a small turkey in. of course when i
went searching for a new one i couldn't find the same brand locally & the
convection only models were too small. i bought a convection/micro combo
that is slightly bigger inside than the old one. it has a metal turntable
though for the convection cooking & i prefer the old one's stationary rack.
i kept the old rack & think will try using it instead when using a larger
pan.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 13 Oct 2006 02:25:20p, Frank103 meant to say...

> Can a convection oven bake cakes, breads, cookies etc. as well as a
> regular oven? I've tried baking a few things in a toaster oven and was
> pleased with the results other than being limited in size. I was
> wondering about convection ovens and if someone can recommend a brand.
> Thanks in advance. Frank

Personally, I found convection cooking more useful for roasting meats. Cakes
and pies were guenerally underdooked on the inside by the time the exterior
was brown. Cookies, OTOH, were superior in a convection oven.

Best choice? A convection oven in which the feature can be turned off.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Falls don't kill people. It's the deceleration trauma.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Fri 13 Oct 2006 02:25:20p, Frank103 meant to say...
>
>> Can a convection oven bake cakes, breads, cookies etc. as well as a
>> regular oven? I've tried baking a few things in a toaster oven and was
>> pleased with the results other than being limited in size. I was
>> wondering about convection ovens and if someone can recommend a brand.
>> Thanks in advance. Frank

> Personally, I found convection cooking more useful for roasting meats. Cakes
> and pies were guenerally underdooked on the inside by the time the exterior
> was brown. Cookies, OTOH, were superior in a convection oven.
>
> Best choice? A convection oven in which the feature can be turned off.

My experience differs. I reduce temperatures in my
convection oven 50 degrees from what recipes call for. I
bake all sorts of things in mine, including roasts, pies,
cakes, breads, cookies, potatoes, casseroles, etc...

But not souffles. Even the little vibration from a
convection oven keeps them from rising like a conventional
oven permits.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 13 Oct 2006 11:12:06p, Bob (this one) meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Fri 13 Oct 2006 02:25:20p, Frank103 meant to say...
>>
>>> Can a convection oven bake cakes, breads, cookies etc. as well as a
>>> regular oven? I've tried baking a few things in a toaster oven and was
>>> pleased with the results other than being limited in size. I was
>>> wondering about convection ovens and if someone can recommend a brand.
>>> Thanks in advance. Frank

>> Personally, I found convection cooking more useful for roasting meats.
>> Cakes and pies were guenerally underdooked on the inside by the time
>> the exterior was brown. Cookies, OTOH, were superior in a convection
>> oven.
>>
>> Best choice? A convection oven in which the feature can be turned off.

> My experience differs. I reduce temperatures in my
> convection oven 50 degrees from what recipes call for. I
> bake all sorts of things in mine, including roasts, pies,
> cakes, breads, cookies, potatoes, casseroles, etc...
>
> But not souffles. Even the little vibration from a
> convection oven keeps them from rising like a conventional
> oven permits.
>
> Pastorio

Then perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I've had a countertop Farberware
convection oven, a GE range with convection oven, and an Amana range with
convection oven. In the latter two, the convection function could be
turned off. Each had a somewhat different configuration, but all had
dedicated concealed heating elements for the convection fans. The
Farberware's fan was located in the top of the oven, the GE and Amana both
had fans in the rear oven wall. In all cases, when using convection, pie
crusts overbrowned or burned before the filling was done and the tops of
cakes (tradtional butter layer cakes) were very overbrowned before the cake
had sufficiently baked inside. I tried different rack levels and
temperature reduction by both 25 and 50 degrees. Not sure what else I
could have done.

Having said that, the convection mode made absolutely the best roasted
meats and perfectly baked multiple sheets of cookies. Yeast breads were of
moderate success.

--
Wayne Boatwright

This is precisely the sort of thing that people
who like this sort of thing will like.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Fri 13 Oct 2006 11:12:06p, Bob (this one) meant to say...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> Oh pshaw, on Fri 13 Oct 2006 02:25:20p, Frank103 meant to say...

>>> Personally, I found convection cooking more useful for roasting meats.
>>> Cakes and pies were guenerally underdooked on the inside by the time
>>> the exterior was brown. Cookies, OTOH, were superior in a convection
>>> oven.
>>>
>>> Best choice? A convection oven in which the feature can be turned off.

>> My experience differs. I reduce temperatures in my
>> convection oven 50 degrees from what recipes call for. I
>> bake all sorts of things in mine, including roasts, pies,
>> cakes, breads, cookies, potatoes, casseroles, etc...
>>
>> But not souffles. Even the little vibration from a
>> convection oven keeps them from rising like a conventional
>> oven permits.
>>
>> Pastorio
>>

> Then perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I've had a countertop Farberware
> convection oven, a GE range with convection oven, and an Amana range with
> convection oven. In the latter two, the convection function could be
> turned off. Each had a somewhat different configuration, but all had
> dedicated concealed heating elements for the convection fans. The
> Farberware's fan was located in the top of the oven, the GE and Amana both
> had fans in the rear oven wall. In all cases, when using convection, pie
> crusts overbrowned or burned before the filling was done and the tops of
> cakes (tradtional butter layer cakes) were very overbrowned before the cake
> had sufficiently baked inside. I tried different rack levels and
> temperature reduction by both 25 and 50 degrees. Not sure what else I
> could have done.

I've had commercial convection ovens in my restaurants and
now I just have a Farber conv. oven at home since I'm not
cooking vast quantities any longer. It's about as simple a
unit as there is. Heat element, fan, cabinet.

Some other variables:

1) I bake in dark pans. When I've tried glass or
light-colored ceramic ones, the results weren't as good.
2) I bake with the rack set to the lowest level and I leave
the Farber sheet pan that came with the oven in the bottom
all the time.
3) For crusty breads, I put hot water in the pan in the
bottom and leave it there throughout the bake.
4) I don't make two-crust pies; just tarts. Not that fond of
crust. I trim it level with the top of the pan.
5) Cakes don't work as well in the convection and in the
conventional, probably because of vibration. Having said
that, it goes faster and if I'm making a dense cake, the
convection works fine. For a genoise or angel food cake,
it's the conventional oven.
6) Did a variation on tarte aux poires (recipe below) today
that was wonderful. Crust top browned, fruit browned a bit,
custard puffed and browned, all within acceptable limits.
Baked at 375F rather than the 425F for conventional ovens. I
used 3 green Bartlett pears, 3 red Bartlett and 3 Ginger
Gold apples in a larger, rectangular tart pan than the
recipe calls for. Doubled dough and custard. Luscious.
7) Are your criteria for browning maybe a bit light compared
to what others might consider appropriate? Just asking.
8) In spite of the propaganda, I turn the food in the
convection oven. I find it cooks unevenly otherwise.
9) As you say, for meats, it's grand. I cook roasts at very
low temps (depending on what kind of meat, as low as 205F,
up to 250F), so I sacrifice the crust that high-temp
roasting gives but get much more moist-finished meats as a
result. Trade off. I cook beef and lamb to 120F, pork roasts
to 145F, game to 150F, birds to 160F, pork to shred to 190F
(shoulders only and cook at 205F from room temp meat).
Breads to 208F. Cakes to different temps, depending on the
type, most often 205F.

> Having said that, the convection mode made absolutely the best roasted
> meats and perfectly baked multiple sheets of cookies. Yeast breads were of
> moderate success.

Amazing our different experiences. Based on what you've said
above, I can't really see what the differences might be
attributable to. I'm at 1500 feet above sea level, FWIW. My
kitchen temperature is fixed between 68 and 75 no matter
what's happening. I keep our humidity between 45 and 55%.
Virtually all my equipment is heavy-duty professional
quality, left over from the restaurants. I use
remote-reading, tip-probe thermometers for everything cooked
in an oven.

Pastorio

Tarte Aux Poires Alsacienne Alsatian Pear Tart
1 recipe rich egg pastry
6 pears, peeled, cored, halved and thinly sliced across
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup heavy cream
Heat conventional oven to 425F. Butter and flour a 10-in
deep tart pan and line the tart pan with pastry. Arrange
pear slices evenly over the pastry overlapping the slices
slightly. Bake for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the egg
yolks, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and cream. Pour over the
pears and bake for another 35 minutes, or until the pears
are tender. Serve warm. Serves 6 to 8

Rich Egg Pastry
2 cups flour
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 stick cold butter, cut into small pieces
cold water
Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl and make a well in the
center. Into the well put the eggs and butter, working the
ingredients with fingertips, adding cold water by the
tablespoon for a smooth, supple pastry. Let pastry stand for
30 minutes, covered and chilled. Roll out on lightly floured
surface to just under 1/4 inch thickness. Line a buttered
and floured pan, then chill for 30 minutes. Dock the bottom
before filling. Good for 2 crust pies or French-style flans.
Good with apples, plums, apricots.
Posted to rec.food.baking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 14 Oct 2006 10:24:20p, Bob (this one) meant to say...

> I've had commercial convection ovens in my restaurants and
> now I just have a Farber conv. oven at home since I'm not
> cooking vast quantities any longer. It's about as simple a
> unit as there is. Heat element, fan, cabinet.

As a professional, I find it interesting that you chose a Farber convection
oven. If the various convections I've had, the Farber was my favorite.

> Some other variables:
>
> 1) I bake in dark pans. When I've tried glass or
> light-colored ceramic ones, the results weren't as good.

I use dark metal cake pans, but use Pyrex pie plates.

> 2) I bake with the rack set to the lowest level and I leave
> the Farber sheet pan that came with the oven in the bottom
> all the time.

In the Farber I alays baked on the lowest level and also left the sheet pan
in the bottom

> 3) For crusty breads, I put hot water in the pan in the
> bottom and leave it there throughout the bake.

At the time when I owned the Farber, it never occurred to me to put hot
water in the pan. I was only just beginning to bake breads at that point.

> 4) I don't make two-crust pies; just tarts. Not that fond of
> crust. I trim it level with the top of the pan.

Aye, there's the rub. I bake tw-crust pies almost exclusively. In
convection, the top crust could bake almost to a crisp before the filling
was done, and the bottom crust semi-raw.

> 5) Cakes don't work as well in the convection and in the
> conventional, probably because of vibration. Having said
> that, it goes faster and if I'm making a dense cake, the
> convection works fine. For a genoise or angel food cake,
> it's the conventional oven.

My worst experience was with a pineapple upside down cake. The top of the
cake was dark brown, but the batter was still liquid.

> 6) Did a variation on tarte aux poires (recipe below) today
> that was wonderful. Crust top browned, fruit browned a bit,
> custard puffed and browned, all within acceptable limits.
> Baked at 375F rather than the 425F for conventional ovens. I
> used 3 green Bartlett pears, 3 red Bartlett and 3 Ginger
> Gold apples in a larger, rectangular tart pan than the
> recipe calls for. Doubled dough and custard. Luscious.
> 7) Are your criteria for browning maybe a bit light compared
> to what others might consider appropriate? Just asking.

I prefer a true golden brown for most baked goods, not too pale. I don't
much like surfaces to be dark brown.

> 8) In spite of the propaganda, I turn the food in the
> convection oven. I find it cooks unevenly otherwise.

Yes, I found that to be true, as well. The one exception I found was in
baking cookies. In the larger range ovens I had, I found that no matter
how many sheets of cookies I put in, they all came out evenly browned
without rearranging the sheets.

> 9) As you say, for meats, it's grand. I cook roasts at very
> low temps (depending on what kind of meat, as low as 205F,
> up to 250F), so I sacrifice the crust that high-temp
> roasting gives but get much more moist-finished meats as a
> result. Trade off. I cook beef and lamb to 120F, pork roasts
> to 145F, game to 150F, birds to 160F, pork to shred to 190F
> (shoulders only and cook at 205F from room temp meat).
> Breads to 208F. Cakes to different temps, depending on the
> type, most often 205F.
>
>> Having said that, the convection mode made absolutely the best roasted
>> meats and perfectly baked multiple sheets of cookies. Yeast breads
>> were of moderate success.

> Amazing our different experiences. Based on what you've said
> above, I can't really see what the differences might be
> attributable to. I'm at 1500 feet above sea level, FWIW. My
> kitchen temperature is fixed between 68 and 75 no matter
> what's happening. I keep our humidity between 45 and 55%.

The mean elevation in the Phoenix area is 1117 feet above sea level. My
kitchen temperature is in the same range as yours. We don't have a
humidifier, and our relative humidity is betwee 10-20%.

> Virtually all my equipment is heavy-duty professional
> quality, left over from the restaurants. I use
> remote-reading, tip-probe thermometers for everything cooked
> in an oven.

My equipment isn't professional grade, but is heavy and of good quality.

> Pastorio
>
> Tarte Aux Poires Alsacienne Alsatian Pear Tart
> 1 recipe rich egg pastry
> 6 pears, peeled, cored, halved and thinly sliced across
> 4 egg yolks
> 1/3 cup sugar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 3/4 cup heavy cream
> Heat conventional oven to 425F. Butter and flour a 10-in
> deep tart pan and line the tart pan with pastry. Arrange
> pear slices evenly over the pastry overlapping the slices
> slightly. Bake for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the egg
> yolks, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and cream. Pour over the
> pears and bake for another 35 minutes, or until the pears
> are tender. Serve warm. Serves 6 to 8
>
> Rich Egg Pastry
> 2 cups flour
> 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 2 eggs, beaten
> 1 stick cold butter, cut into small pieces
> cold water
> Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl and make a well in the
> center. Into the well put the eggs and butter, working the
> ingredients with fingertips, adding cold water by the
> tablespoon for a smooth, supple pastry. Let pastry stand for
> 30 minutes, covered and chilled. Roll out on lightly floured
> surface to just under 1/4 inch thickness. Line a buttered
> and floured pan, then chill for 30 minutes. Dock the bottom
> before filling. Good for 2 crust pies or French-style flans.
> Good with apples, plums, apricots.

The tart sounds delicious! I will try it with apricots.

--
Wayne Boatwright

We don't know who discovered water, but we're
pretty sure it wasn't a fish.

Convection ovens Tom Del Rosso[_5_] General Cooking 30 29-07-2016 07:37 PM
Small Convection Ovens gregz General Cooking 3 25-07-2013 05:38 PM
Convection Ovens Scott O Baking 5 03-12-2006 05:29 PM
Convection Ovens [email protected] Cooking Equipment 16 19-10-2005 08:38 PM
Convection Ovens / Fan Ovens??? Wayne Boatwright Cooking Equipment 8 03-02-2005 01:26 PM