Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Convection or not

We are getting ready to replace a built in oven/MW combo with double ovens.
(MW works sporadically, and unit is quite old) Plan to put a new MW above
the stove top with exhaust fan.

Question is: Should we go convection or standard ovens. Have never used a
convection oven, and don't really know the pros and cons.

--
Larry T

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 14:29:46 +0000, LT wrote:

> We are getting ready to replace a built in oven/MW combo with double ovens.
> (MW works sporadically, and unit is quite old) Plan to put a new MW above
> the stove top with exhaust fan.
>
> Question is: Should we go convection or standard ovens.

No question.. get the convection oven. Most of those above mount
microwaves don't actually vent. They go through a filter and back into
the room. Did you find one that vents to the outside? If so what brand?
For me ventalation to the outside is mandatory.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote

> On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 14:29:46 +0000, LT wrote:
>
>> We are getting ready to replace a built in oven/MW combo with double
>> ovens.
>> (MW works sporadically, and unit is quite old) Plan to put a new MW above
>> the stove top with exhaust fan.
>>
>> Question is: Should we go convection or standard ovens.

> No question.. get the convection oven. Most of those above mount
> microwaves don't actually vent. They go through a filter and back into
> the room. Did you find one that vents to the outside? If so what brand?
> For me ventalation to the outside is mandatory.

When I was looking at them, they vented either way, you just
installed it differently ... directs the air out a vent or through
the filter, either way.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> When I was looking at them, they vented either way, you just
> installed it differently ... directs the air out a vent or through
> the filter, either way.
>
> nancy

Yes, that is what the guy at Lowes said. Also, we have gas, so in our state
this must be vented to the outside. The current hood is. While where on that
subject, any pros or cons on that MW set up.

Thanks

Larry T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Person" > wrote

>> When I was looking at them, they vented either way, you just
>> installed it differently ... directs the air out a vent or through
>> the filter, either way.

> Yes, that is what the guy at Lowes said. Also, we have gas, so in our
> state this must be vented to the outside. The current hood is. While where
> on that subject, any pros or cons on that MW set up.

Well, I'm not tall, so consider that the food is pretty much eye level
for me ... doesn't bother me, I sure burned myself on wall ovens,
never had a problem with the over the stove microwave.

People will have other opinions, of course, but I'm happy with the
arrangement. One thing I will tell you, we installed it ourselves,
couldn't believe they wanted some kinda money to install it ...
$100, 150? Get real. Well ... that was a project. I had it in
mind it just screwed into the cabinet above it somehow, not that
simple. Just my 2 cents.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello Larry:

My oven has a 'speed-bake' feature, just a little fan inside to
distribute heat more evenly. It's probably not as good as a convection
but it makes a significant difference when baking, for example, cookies
on two racks. And it really does cut down on baking time for many
items.

If the convection feature (fan) on the oven you're considering can be
switched off, or if it's on one of the two ovens, I'd say "get the
convection." You can leave the fan off to cook in the normal way, and
switch it on as desired to learn about using the convection oven.

If the convection feature can't be switched off, you'll have a learning
(burning?) curve to ride as you use the new oven.

Best -- Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LT" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> We are getting ready to replace a built in oven/MW combo with double
> ovens.
> (MW works sporadically, and unit is quite old) Plan to put a new MW above
> the stove top with exhaust fan.
>
> Question is: Should we go convection or standard ovens. Have never used a
> convection oven, and don't really know the pros and cons.
>
> --
> Larry T

I just got a convection oven about a month ago and I just love it. One of
the best points is cooking multiple racks and having everything cook evenly.
When I do a batch of cookies I cook them all on 3 cookie sheets in one oven
and I'm done! Everything else cooks at 25 degrees lower temp. for about the
same amount of time. I haven't notice anything cooking faster, but I
haven't done a roast yet.

Lynne

Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT
We are getting ready to replace a built in oven/MW combo with double ovens.
(MW works sporadically, and unit is quite old) Plan to put a new MW above
the stove top with exhaust fan.

Question is: Should we go convection or standard ovens. Have never used a
convection oven, and don't really know the pros and cons.

--
Larry T
Convection, absolutely. I was a little skeptical of them when they first came out, but then I worked in a kitchen that had one and was won over completely. No hot spots, perfectly even cooking, less time, more energy efficient, it's just so much better than a conventional oven. There is a learning curve and you'll have to modify the baking time in your recipes, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Air-convection oven? DUTCHMAN-101 General Cooking 2 16-01-2008 12:20 AM
Convection oven Jeff Miller[_2_] Sourdough 0 10-10-2007 05:23 AM
convection oven use Sis Cooking Equipment 9 19-01-2006 03:53 PM
convection oven Momzilla Vegan 7 20-07-2004 02:40 PM
Countertop convection oven vs. Microwave/Convection hood sid Cooking Equipment 2 23-06-2004 02:35 PM