Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Good News, Bad News

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 09:33:31 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 10/15/2015 12:57 PM, KenK wrote:
>> John Kuthe > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> I'm firmly convinved the reason grocery stores will reorganize (read:
>>> move everything somewhere else!) is to force experienced customers to
>>> have to look at a lot more of the stuff the store carries

>(snippage)
>>>

>> I agree!
>>
>> My local Walmart just reorganized their grocery dept. - I'm convinced for
>> just that reason.
>>

>Of course they do. It's marketing. It's not earth-shattering news.
>Just like the gradual down-sizing of cans from 16 oz. to 15 to 14.5 oz.
>isn't new or news. Oh, that package of cranberries went from 12 to 10.
> It's been happening for years.
>
>I shopped for a few things yesterday at a store where they've been
>rearranging in the last couple of months. Just because they moved
>things around doesn't mean I'm going to buy a bunch of other stuff. I'm
>sure lots of people fall for it. Impulse buyers, most likely.
>
>Me, I just want to get what I came for and leave. I shop with a list.
>That's not to say I never buy something I hadn't planned for. Of course
>I do. I'm saying flipping the store upside down and my having to look a
>little harder (or ask where things are) doesn't make me suddenly decide
>to buy things I normally wouldn't.
>
>I'm sure it works on some people. That's why they do it.
>
>Jill

It is exactly what anyone here would do if they owned a shop. It's
just common sense.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/16/2015 6:38 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Those center-of-the-aisle displays, or putting up center blockades one has to detour
> around are really, really difficult for those of us who are disabled to any degree.
> I know the stores are trying to maximize profits, but some of these decisions need
> a second look, IMO.
>
> N.

Right on!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2015 11:58 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 08:38:06 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>> No, the icemaker is in the freezer section of my refrigerator.
>>> Plastic ice
>>> cube trays are available everywhere here, but I don't know if they
>>> are made
>>> in the USA or not since I haven't looked. :-)
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> YOU have not looked? Do you care...if your children have jobs?
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> Why the Hell would I look for plastic ice cube trays that are made in
> the USA when I don't use them or need them? As far as my children go,
> they all have jobs that are not dependent on whether YOU buy plastic USA
> made ice trays or not, but I am very concerned that you have a job
> anywhere near "regular" folks. LOL
>
> Cheri

OTOH, what if your kids did have jobs that were dependent on a person
buying plastic ice cube trays? That would be like a Twilight Zone episode!

Another episode would be like an American guy continuously rants about
cheap Chinese junks - this would go on for 20 minutes or so and then in
the end he wakes up to find he's a Chinese guy in prison who is forced
to make cheap crap for American running dog. Like we didn't see that
coming, huh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/16/2015 2:38 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Those center-of-the-aisle displays, or putting up center blockades one has to detour
> around are really, really difficult for those of us who are disabled to any degree.
> I know the stores are trying to maximize profits, but some of these decisions need
> a second look, IMO.
>
> N.

It could be there to control the flow of traffic in spots or to visually
excite the shopper's eye. Shoppers with excited eyes are a very good
thing in supermarkets. I don't believe that it's pleasing aesthetically
to have long sight lines in supermarkets. That just gives off a weird vibe.

When I designed my old office, I just couldn't allow the hallway to have
a dead end. That would be a major design mistake. Having all the chi
just hitting that dead spot would be just asking for trouble. The people
installing the walls had a bit of trouble visualizing how it went
together but it turned out all spiffy. I also designed it to allow
plenty of room to maneuver wheelchairs in the hallway and the vibe of
the space is the better for it - light and airy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On 10/15/2015 11:58 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message

>>> YOU have not looked? Do you care...if your children have jobs?
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>> Why the Hell would I look for plastic ice cube trays that are made in
>> the USA when I don't use them or need them? As far as my children go,
>> they all have jobs that are not dependent on whether YOU buy plastic USA
>> made ice trays or not, but I am very concerned that you have a job
>> anywhere near "regular" folks. LOL
>>
>> Cheri

> OTOH, what if your kids did have jobs that were dependent on a person
> buying plastic ice cube trays? That would be like a Twilight Zone episode!
>
> Another episode would be like an American guy continuously rants about
> cheap Chinese junks - this would go on for 20 minutes or so and then in
> the end he wakes up to find he's a Chinese guy in prison who is forced
> to make cheap crap for American running dog. Like we didn't see that
> coming, huh?

LOL!

Brilliant stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On 10/16/2015 2:38 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> Those center-of-the-aisle displays, or putting up center blockades one
>> has to detour
>> around are really, really difficult for those of us who are disabled
>> to any degree.
>> I know the stores are trying to maximize profits, but some of these
>> decisions need
>> a second look, IMO.
>>
>> N.
>>

> It could be there to control the flow of traffic in spots or to visually
> excite the shopper's eye. Shoppers with excited eyes are a very good
> thing in supermarkets. I don't believe that it's pleasing aesthetically
> to have long sight lines in supermarkets. That just gives off a weird vibe.

Safeway does a fairly good job in their remodeled stores of creating
islands for produce, pharmaceuticals, etc.

> When I designed my old office, I just couldn't allow the hallway to have
> a dead end. That would be a major design mistake. Having all the chi
> just hitting that dead spot would be just asking for trouble. The people
> installing the walls had a bit of trouble visualizing how it went
> together but it turned out all spiffy. I also designed it to allow
> plenty of room to maneuver wheelchairs in the hallway and the vibe of
> the space is the better for it - light and airy.

Very cool.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/16/2015 11:41 AM, muddy paws wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> On 10/16/2015 2:38 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>>> Those center-of-the-aisle displays, or putting up center blockades one
>>> has to detour
>>> around are really, really difficult for those of us who are disabled
>>> to any degree.
>>> I know the stores are trying to maximize profits, but some of these
>>> decisions need
>>> a second look, IMO.
>>>
>>> N.
>>>

>> It could be there to control the flow of traffic in spots or to visually
>> excite the shopper's eye. Shoppers with excited eyes are a very good
>> thing in supermarkets. I don't believe that it's pleasing aesthetically
>> to have long sight lines in supermarkets. That just gives off a weird
>> vibe.

> Safeway does a fairly good job in their remodeled stores of creating
> islands for produce, pharmaceuticals, etc.
>
>> When I designed my old office, I just couldn't allow the hallway to have
>> a dead end. That would be a major design mistake. Having all the chi
>> just hitting that dead spot would be just asking for trouble. The people
>> installing the walls had a bit of trouble visualizing how it went
>> together but it turned out all spiffy. I also designed it to allow
>> plenty of room to maneuver wheelchairs in the hallway and the vibe of
>> the space is the better for it - light and airy.

> Very cool.

I'm in a much smaller office now. I put in curved walls. People like it
but I kinda feel like a drudge because when I walk to my desk, I walk in
a curved path. It feels kind of oppressive. That was kind of unexpected.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On 10/16/2015 11:41 AM, muddy paws wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> It could be there to control the flow of traffic in spots or to visually
>>> excite the shopper's eye. Shoppers with excited eyes are a very good
>>> thing in supermarkets. I don't believe that it's pleasing aesthetically
>>> to have long sight lines in supermarkets. That just gives off a weird
>>> vibe.

>> Safeway does a fairly good job in their remodeled stores of creating
>> islands for produce, pharmaceuticals, etc.
>>
>>> When I designed my old office, I just couldn't allow the hallway to have
>>> a dead end. That would be a major design mistake. Having all the chi
>>> just hitting that dead spot would be just asking for trouble. The people
>>> installing the walls had a bit of trouble visualizing how it went
>>> together but it turned out all spiffy. I also designed it to allow
>>> plenty of room to maneuver wheelchairs in the hallway and the vibe of
>>> the space is the better for it - light and airy.

>> Very cool.
>>

> I'm in a much smaller office now. I put in curved walls. People like it
> but I kinda feel like a drudge because when I walk to my desk, I walk in
> a curved path. It feels kind of oppressive. That was kind of unexpected.

Wow, this whole office design business is more perilous than I'd have
guessed.

Can you summon up some kind of mental Fibonacci vibe to go with your
circular route?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2015 5:27 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> I wouldn't be surprised if it is similar to the two biggest Australian
> supermarket chains where you are. Product manufacturers PAY the
> supermarkets to have their products placed at eye level (ideally) on
> the shelves.

It's the same here, they pay for shelf space. They often send in their
own people to stock the shelves, too. I was looking for cling wrap the
other day and expected it to be by the foil and food storage/freezer
bags and containers. I looked and looked. WTH? Did someone outlaw
plastic wrap? (Please spare me the landfill arguments.)

A woman who works at the store thought I was crazy when I said I
couldn't find it. Turns out the guy just dumped it on an empty space on
a lower shelf and left. She stood there staring at the spot where it
should have been and shook her head. She had to move it to the shelf
spot where it belonged, where customers could actually be expected to
find it. (sigh)

Bad enough they keep reorganizing the store. Used to be I could find a
box of tissues on the same aisle as all the other paper products. You
know, toilet paper, paper towels, paper stuff. Someone had the bright
idea to move tissues over to the what I think of as the "cosmetics"
area. Yep, because when I think about needing tissues I should
immediately think the tissues should be right there with hair clips and
eye shadow. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 07:21:06 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Bad enough they keep reorganizing the store. Used to be I could find a
> box of tissues on the same aisle as all the other paper products. You
> know, toilet paper, paper towels, paper stuff. Someone had the bright
> idea to move tissues over to the what I think of as the "cosmetics"
> area. Yep, because when I think about needing tissues I should
> immediately think the tissues should be right there with hair clips and
> eye shadow. LOL

You'd think it would at least be with the cold and allergy OTC meds.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 10/15/2015 5:27 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> I wouldn't be surprised if it is similar to the two biggest Australian
>> supermarket chains where you are. Product manufacturers PAY the
>> supermarkets to have their products placed at eye level (ideally) on
>> the shelves.
>>

>It's the same here, they pay for shelf space. They often send in their
>own people to stock the shelves, too. I was looking for cling wrap the
>other day and expected it to be by the foil and food storage/freezer
>bags and containers. I looked and looked. WTH? Did someone outlaw
>plastic wrap? (Please spare me the landfill arguments.)

LOL. Each and every time I go to the supermarket for plastic wrap or
ziplock bags involves going through the isles at least twice until I
find it.

>A woman who works at the store thought I was crazy when I said I
>couldn't find it. Turns out the guy just dumped it on an empty space on
>a lower shelf and left. She stood there staring at the spot where it
>should have been and shook her head. She had to move it to the shelf
>spot where it belonged, where customers could actually be expected to
>find it. (sigh)
>
>Bad enough they keep reorganizing the store. Used to be I could find a
>box of tissues on the same aisle as all the other paper products. You
>know, toilet paper, paper towels, paper stuff. Someone had the bright
>idea to move tissues over to the what I think of as the "cosmetics"
>area. Yep, because when I think about needing tissues I should
>immediately think the tissues should be right there with hair clips and
>eye shadow. LOL

I find here that things like cheeses and other dairy, pies, meats and
other misc items can be in two or three different spots around the
supermarket. I bloody hate that. Some items might be in the 'normal'
locations, then some will be in the so-called 'health food' or the
deli sections.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 11:50:36 AM UTC-10, muddy paws wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> >> Safeway does a fairly good job in their remodeled stores of creating
> >> islands for produce, pharmaceuticals, etc.

> >> Very cool.
> >>

> > I'm in a much smaller office now. I put in curved walls. People like it
> > but I kinda feel like a drudge because when I walk to my desk, I walk in
> > a curved path. It feels kind of oppressive. That was kind of unexpected.

> Wow, this whole office design business is more perilous than I'd have
> guessed.
>
> Can you summon up some kind of mental Fibonacci vibe to go with your
> circular route?

Heck, I could go straight but I'm compelled to walk next to the wall. It must be a strange sight. Sounds like a OCD thing but I'm not OCD - or am I? Hee hee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 11:50:36 AM UTC-10, muddy paws wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> I'm in a much smaller office now. I put in curved walls. People like it
>>> but I kinda feel like a drudge because when I walk to my desk, I walk in
>>> a curved path. It feels kind of oppressive. That was kind of unexpected.

>> Wow, this whole office design business is more perilous than I'd have
>> guessed.
>>
>> Can you summon up some kind of mental Fibonacci vibe to go with your
>> circular route?

> Heck, I could go straight but I'm compelled to walk next to the wall.

Because you're straight, you walk the wall...

;-)

> It must be a strange sight. Sounds like a OCD thing but I'm not OCD - or am I? Hee hee.

Beat me, but I am compelled to respond to you....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/17/2015 9:14 AM, Questa wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

>>> Wow, this whole office design business is more perilous than I'd have
>>> guessed.
>>>
>>> Can you summon up some kind of mental Fibonacci vibe to go with your
>>> circular route?

>> Heck, I could go straight but I'm compelled to walk next to the wall.

> Because you're straight, you walk the wall...
>
> ;-)

You gots to walk the line when you is a man. Hee hee.

>> It must be a strange sight. Sounds like a OCD thing but I'm not OCD -
>> or am I? Hee hee.

> Beat me, but I am compelled to respond to you....

That's not good!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On 10/17/2015 9:14 AM, Questa wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> Heck, I could go straight but I'm compelled to walk next to the wall.

>> Because you're straight, you walk the wall...
>>
>> ;-)

> You gots to walk the line when you is a man. Hee hee.

"I keep my eyes wide open all the time.."

>>> It must be a strange sight. Sounds like a OCD thing but I'm not OCD -
>>> or am I? Hee hee.

>> Beat me, but I am compelled to respond to you....
>>

> That's not good!

OCD!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/10/2015 2:36 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> When I designed my old office, I just couldn't allow the hallway to have
> a dead end. That would be a major design mistake. Having all the chi
> just hitting that dead spot would be just asking for trouble.

Chi? Surely you don't believe in that twaddle, do you?
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/17/2015 12:50 PM, graham wrote:
> On 16/10/2015 2:36 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> When I designed my old office, I just couldn't allow the hallway to have
>> a dead end. That would be a major design mistake. Having all the chi
>> just hitting that dead spot would be just asking for trouble.

> Chi? Surely you don't believe in that twaddle, do you?
> Graham

One thing I certainly do no believe in is the word "twaddle." As far as
Chi goes, can bajillions of Chinese be wong? Er... I mean "wrong?"

But seriously folks, I see no reason to not to use the concept as far as
architectural design goes. How we relate/interact to our environment and
how our surroundings affect us is certainly buried deep within our
psyche and originates to a time when we were living like wild animals.
These apprehensions about our environment is baggage we carry still. I'm
Asian so I can attribute the flow of energy in a room to qi and having
that energy hit a dead end is unacceptable.

This is a lot better than relying on some vague, unknown, feeling of
unease when describing uncomfortable spaces. We got a system in place
for this and Westerners got nothing.

OTOH, the building I'm in has 4 crystal balls on the corners of the
building - that's a lot of twaddle! Ahahahahaha!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 13:21:58 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

> On 10/17/2015 12:50 PM, graham wrote:
> > On 16/10/2015 2:36 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> >

> >> When I designed my old office, I just couldn't allow the hallway to have
> >> a dead end. That would be a major design mistake. Having all the chi
> >> just hitting that dead spot would be just asking for trouble.

> > Chi? Surely you don't believe in that twaddle, do you?
> > Graham
> >

> One thing I certainly do no believe in is the word "twaddle." As far as
> Chi goes, can bajillions of Chinese be wong? Er... I mean "wrong?"
>
> But seriously folks, I see no reason to not to use the concept as far as
> architectural design goes. How we relate/interact to our environment and
> how our surroundings affect us is certainly buried deep within our
> psyche and originates to a time when we were living like wild animals.
> These apprehensions about our environment is baggage we carry still. I'm
> Asian so I can attribute the flow of energy in a room to qi and having
> that energy hit a dead end is unacceptable.
>
> This is a lot better than relying on some vague, unknown, feeling of
> unease when describing uncomfortable spaces. We got a system in place
> for this and Westerners got nothing.
>
> OTOH, the building I'm in has 4 crystal balls on the corners of the
> building - that's a lot of twaddle! Ahahahahaha!

Fung shui boils down to practical design elements with a little
mystical hocus pocus attached for added flair.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
> On 16/10/2015 2:36 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> When I designed my old office, I just couldn't allow the hallway to have
>> a dead end. That would be a major design mistake. Having all the chi
>> just hitting that dead spot would be just asking for trouble.

> Chi? Surely you don't believe in that twaddle, do you?
> Graham

Whose culture do you think is older, yours, or his?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On 10/17/2015 12:50 PM, graham wrote:
>> On 16/10/2015 2:36 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>

>>> When I designed my old office, I just couldn't allow the hallway to have
>>> a dead end. That would be a major design mistake. Having all the chi
>>> just hitting that dead spot would be just asking for trouble.

>> Chi? Surely you don't believe in that twaddle, do you?
>> Graham
>>

> One thing I certainly do no believe in is the word "twaddle." As far as
> Chi goes, can bajillions of Chinese be wong? Er... I mean "wrong?"
>
> But seriously folks, I see no reason to not to use the concept as far as
> architectural design goes. How we relate/interact to our environment and
> how our surroundings affect us is certainly buried deep within our
> psyche and originates to a time when we were living like wild animals.
> These apprehensions about our environment is baggage we carry still. I'm
> Asian so I can attribute the flow of energy in a room to qi and having
> that energy hit a dead end is unacceptable.
>
> This is a lot better than relying on some vague, unknown, feeling of
> unease when describing uncomfortable spaces. We got a system in place
> for this and Westerners got nothing.
>
> OTOH, the building I'm in has 4 crystal balls on the corners of the
> building - that's a lot of twaddle! Ahahahahaha!

Good chi = good design, pure and simple.

Cement heads like graham wouldn't know good design if they walked right
into it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 7:22:01 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> One thing I certainly do no believe in is the word "twaddle." As far as
> Chi goes, can bajillions of Chinese be wong? Er... I mean "wrong?"

Yes, they can. It's a logical fallacy called Argumentum ad populum.
It doesn't matter how many people believe it; if it's wrong, it's wrong.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 04:44:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 7:22:01 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> One thing I certainly do no believe in is the word "twaddle." As far as
>> Chi goes, can bajillions of Chinese be wong? Er... I mean "wrong?"

>Yes, they can. It's a logical fallacy called Argumentum ad populum.
>It doesn't matter how many people believe it; if it's wrong, it's wrong.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Augmentin is a very good antibiotic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-18, Questa > wrote:

> Whose culture do you think is older, yours, or his?

You mean that same culture that believes rhino horn or panther pecker
puts more wink in yer winkie? Yeah, that's who I wanna entrust my
future to. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 7:22:01 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> One thing I certainly do no believe in is the word "twaddle." As far as
>> Chi goes, can bajillions of Chinese be wong? Er... I mean "wrong?"

> Yes, they can. It's a logical fallacy called Argumentum ad populum.
> It doesn't matter how many people believe it; if it's wrong, it's wrong.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

PROVE that is IS wrong, take all the screens you need.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2015-10-18, Questa > wrote:
>
>> Whose culture do you think is older, yours, or his?

> You mean that same culture that believes rhino horn or panther pecker
> puts more wink in yer winkie? Yeah, that's who I wanna entrust my
> future to. 8|
>
> nb

Invented gun powder and pasta, good enough for me...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 09:53:43 -0600, Questa > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 7:22:01 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> One thing I certainly do no believe in is the word "twaddle." As far as
>>> Chi goes, can bajillions of Chinese be wong? Er... I mean "wrong?"

>> Yes, they can. It's a logical fallacy called Argumentum ad populum.
>> It doesn't matter how many people believe it; if it's wrong, it's wrong.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>PROVE that is IS wrong, take all the screens you need.

Proofs are for math.

Evidence is for science.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 10:00:56 -0600, Questa > wrote:

>notbob wrote:
>> On 2015-10-18, Questa > wrote:
>>
>>> Whose culture do you think is older, yours, or his?

>> You mean that same culture that believes rhino horn or panther pecker
>> puts more wink in yer winkie? Yeah, that's who I wanna entrust my
>> future to. 8|
>>
>> nb
>>

>Invented gun powder and pasta, good enough for me...

Now, now, I'm sure there are at least some good and wise Chinese
people! Certainly not the three I am living with right now, they seem
too stupid to live, often!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 09:53:43 -0600, Questa > wrote:
>
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Yes, they can. It's a logical fallacy called Argumentum ad populum.
>>> It doesn't matter how many people believe it; if it's wrong, it's wrong.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> PROVE that is IS wrong, take all the screens you need.

> Proofs are for math.

Fail.

> Evidence is for science.

None cited.

> John Kuthe...

k00ker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 10:00:56 -0600, Questa > wrote:
>
>> notbob wrote:

>>> You mean that same culture that believes rhino horn or panther pecker
>>> puts more wink in yer winkie? Yeah, that's who I wanna entrust my
>>> future to. 8|
>>>
>>> nb
>>>

>> Invented gun powder and pasta, good enough for me...

> Now, now, I'm sure there are at least some good and wise Chinese
> people! Certainly not the three I am living with right now, they seem
> too stupid to live, often!
>
> John Kuthe...

What a charming narcissist you are to speak so candidly of your roomies!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 11:53:46 AM UTC-4, Questa wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 7:22:01 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> >> One thing I certainly do no believe in is the word "twaddle." As far as
> >> Chi goes, can bajillions of Chinese be wong? Er... I mean "wrong?"

> > Yes, they can. It's a logical fallacy called Argumentum ad populum.
> > It doesn't matter how many people believe it; if it's wrong, it's wrong.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> PROVE that is IS wrong, take all the screens you need.

It's up to those who believe in it to prove its efficacy. Preferably
with a controlled double-blind study conducted on a randomly selected,
statistically-significant-sized sample.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 11:53:46 AM UTC-4, Questa wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Yes, they can. It's a logical fallacy called Argumentum ad populum.
>>> It doesn't matter how many people believe it; if it's wrong, it's wrong.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> PROVE that is IS wrong, take all the screens you need.

> It's up to those who believe in it to prove its efficacy.

Did and done.

http://www.wofs.com/index.php/feng-s...-works-part-ii

In this series of articles, well known feng shui expert/consultant-Paul
Darby-The Feng Shui Doctor, from British TV, tells us why feng shui is
scientific, explains how and why it works!!

Good vibrations then, are the answer! I always suspected the hippies had
the right idea!!!. As George Harrison sang' Life goes on within you and
without you'!

The energy vibrations given off and taken in by everything in the 'Web',
the Tao, are simple, electrically charged resonances, in a kind of
digital code which our bodies and indeed everything else in the Cosmos
can tune into and use, absorbing its information and creative potential.
But remember, we give out the vibrations as well and so contribute to
the Tao as well as taking from it.

These electrical charges of energy- vibrating waves of pulsating very
weak photon 'light', are constantly reacting and responding to each
other. The vibrations-the natural energy, or 'chi' as some call it, is
creative potentiality in its purest form and by enhancing, protecting
and using the environment around us in a positive way, we can learn to
tune into this creative potentiality and use it. Remember this is
quantum physics not just ancient feng shui speaking!

Why did physicists get into proving this? They see a vast source of
untapped energy which can be used for space travel and other every day
uses throughout the world. hence the research, hence the interest. The
proof about feng shui is just a fascinating by- product!

I use Compass School Feng Shui which states that the chi in different
compass locations varies in its composition and energy levels-yin/yang
and the five elements. This is just the ancient Chinese way of referring
to these various and changing energy patterns.

Quantum physicists would agree with this and point to the natural
environment, the winds and the weather as the explanation of the
differing electrical charges, the subtle vibrations all around us. This
huge, endless field of energy, means we are all interconnected with one
another and with our surroundings constantly-a 'domino' effect-all
pushing against each other---so, as feng shui as always stated--changes
in colour, movement, light, plants, sounds will affect the vibrational
qualities of the air around us and so therefore affect the vibrations,
the energy patterns and as a result--us, our moods, our health, our
feelings, our positivity.

That's feng shui in a nutshell!

We are resonating-human 'tuning forks'-harmonising with these
vibrations-the cells of our body trying to pitch exactly to the vast
'tunes of the universe', either tuning in, or being in discord, with our
environment all of the time. No wonder it affects us if we sleep in the
wrong place, if lots of pointed corners speed up the vibrations, if
beams push them down at us. Hopefully now, it all makes sense- and this
is the rub, it always did make sense-but some of us needed scientific
experiment and proof-read 'The Field' by Lynne McTaggart--it is a book
full of proof!

Feng Shui is common sense, an earth science, applied practically and
logically with the added experience of the practitioner in what works
best and why. Feng shui is an ancient knowing of the principles of the
universe, without the fancy names quantum scientists give to it today.
The important thing is IT WORKS- it always has and always will work. But
the vibrations- as we shall see, explain all other therapies, healing,
natural ways of 'de-stressing', -even reincarnation and the death
process-which I studied with Tibetan monks and nuns.

> Preferably
> with a controlled double-blind study conducted on a randomly selected,
> statistically-significant-sized sample.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

http://www.feng-shui-institute.org/F...uiscience.html

Most people know that Feng Shui means wind and water, but not
necessarily why. The natural forces of wind and water consist of
chemical compounds and whenever they meet, react with each other, change
form and release energy.

The scientific definition of energy is "a physical property possessed by
an object and is a measure of the capability to make things happen. In
order for things to happen, some of the energy in the object must be
transferred to some other object". The term "Power" refers to the rate
at which the transfer of energy takes place.

We can explain this further by looking at the process of respiration,
where food reacts with the oxygen that we inhale to form carbon dioxide
and water. These two compounds then release the energy that we use to
metabolise and power our bodies. This is a useful example of how energy
in one form is changed and transferred to create something else.

CellAs with many natural laws, those with the simplest explanations
generally have the most profound effects. Cells are scientifically
regarded as the smallest unit of life, responding to changes in their
local environment to live, grow, reproduce and die.

Humans are composed of trillions of cells and also respond to changes in
our local environment. Relatively recently, we have gained understanding
of a master cell known as a "stem" cell, which has the ability to
analyse its local environment and produce the cells necessary to heal.

The same thing happens to us within our local environment. Quite simply,
we affect our environment and our surroundings have an effect on us,
either positively or negatively. The study of Feng Shui enables us to
analyse both the occupants of a building and the environmental energy.
Where there is incompatibility between the two, the addition of simple
cures ensure that we are supported by our environment and have the power
to make better things happen in our lives.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-18 1:43 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> It's up to those who believe in it to prove its efficacy. Preferably
> with a controlled double-blind study conducted on a randomly selected,
> statistically-significant-sized sample.

Speaking of randomly selected samples.... I have to question the
validity of the polls whose results are being pulled out all the time. I
have no faith in them. They are only polling the people they call, which
means they are only polling the people who were at home, who answered
the phone and gave their time to answer the questions.

Sometimes people lie. I started lying to pollsters a while ago because
I was fed up with their constant phones. There are about 35 million of
us and sample groups typically involve 100-1000 people. It is beyond the
realm of probability that I could be selected at random 2-3 times a week
several weeks in a row.

I started giving them contradictory answers. In a poll on our provincial
with three parties running I was asked which leader I thought would
make the best premier, which party I thought would give us the best
government and which candidate I thought would do the best job. I gave
them one leaders's name, a different party and the candidate from the
third.

After that, I refused to do their polls. Son of a gun, I was no longer
being selected at random for the polls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 1:48:40 PM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 13:21:58 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

> > > Chi? Surely you don't believe in that twaddle, do you?
> > > Graham
> > >

> > One thing I certainly do no believe in is the word "twaddle." As far as
> > Chi goes, can bajillions of Chinese be wong? Er... I mean "wrong?"
> >
> > But seriously folks, I see no reason to not to use the concept as far as
> > architectural design goes. How we relate/interact to our environment and
> > how our surroundings affect us is certainly buried deep within our
> > psyche and originates to a time when we were living like wild animals.
> > These apprehensions about our environment is baggage we carry still. I'm
> > Asian so I can attribute the flow of energy in a room to qi and having
> > that energy hit a dead end is unacceptable.
> >
> > This is a lot better than relying on some vague, unknown, feeling of
> > unease when describing uncomfortable spaces. We got a system in place
> > for this and Westerners got nothing.
> >
> > OTOH, the building I'm in has 4 crystal balls on the corners of the
> > building - that's a lot of twaddle! Ahahahahaha!

> Fung shui boils down to practical design elements with a little
> mystical hocus pocus attached for added flair.
>
> --
>
> sf

Personally, I don't mind a bit of the mystical and unknown in our lives but it doesn't matter if one believes that there's energy flowing through the room or if the fire and water elements have to be in balance. I will not have any hallway that I design end in such an ungraceful way. To see something like that every day would be too depressing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 1:44:13 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 7:22:01 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > One thing I certainly do no believe in is the word "twaddle." As far as
> > Chi goes, can bajillions of Chinese be wong? Er... I mean "wrong?"

> Yes, they can. It's a logical fallacy called Argumentum ad populum.
> It doesn't matter how many people believe it; if it's wrong, it's wrong.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I'd say your editing of MY post is a bit of a twaddle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2015 2:52 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I started giving them contradictory answers. In a poll on our provincial
> with three parties running I was asked which leader I thought would
> make the best premier, which party I thought would give us the best
> government and which candidate I thought would do the best job. I gave
> them one leaders's name, a different party and the candidate from the
> third.
>
> After that, I refused to do their polls. Son of a gun, I was no longer
> being selected at random for the polls.

I'd have thought by now that pollsters and telemarketers would have a
"do not call this asshole" list. I'd be on it.

I got excited when the guy selling solar panels said he could cut my
electric bill in half. I told him my last bill was $27 and I'd
appreciate the savings.

Told the car warranty guy I speak only Polish. (I used all ten words
that I know too)

Kept the Windows scammer on for a log time and asked him to pray for the
computer with me. He hung up when I told him I was lighting insense and
chanting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 10/18/2015 2:52 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> I started giving them contradictory answers. In a poll on our provincial
>> with three parties running I was asked which leader I thought would
>> make the best premier, which party I thought would give us the best
>> government and which candidate I thought would do the best job. I gave
>> them one leaders's name, a different party and the candidate from the
>> third.
>>
>> After that, I refused to do their polls. Son of a gun, I was no longer
>> being selected at random for the polls.
>>

> I'd have thought by now that pollsters and telemarketers would have a "do
> not call this asshole" list. I'd be on it.
>
> I got excited when the guy selling solar panels said he could cut my
> electric bill in half. I told him my last bill was $27 and I'd appreciate
> the savings.
>
> Told the car warranty guy I speak only Polish. (I used all ten words that
> I know too)
>
> Kept the Windows scammer on for a log time and asked him to pray for the
> computer with me. He hung up when I told him I was lighting insense and
> chanting.

LOL

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 15:15:42 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 10/18/2015 2:52 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I started giving them contradictory answers. In a poll on our provincial
>> with three parties running I was asked which leader I thought would
>> make the best premier, which party I thought would give us the best
>> government and which candidate I thought would do the best job. I gave
>> them one leaders's name, a different party and the candidate from the
>> third.
>>
>> After that, I refused to do their polls. Son of a gun, I was no longer
>> being selected at random for the polls.

>I'd have thought by now that pollsters and telemarketers would have a
>"do not call this asshole" list. I'd be on it.

As would I

In Australia we have a 'do not call list', however, charities and
polls are exempt.

>Kept the Windows scammer on for a log time and asked him to pray for the
>computer with me. He hung up when I told him I was lighting insense and
>chanting.

Speakerphones are wonderful for stringing along scammers while you do
other stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 1:48:40 PM UTC-10, sf wrote:

>>> One thing I certainly do no believe in is the word "twaddle." As far as
>>> Chi goes, can bajillions of Chinese be wong? Er... I mean "wrong?"
>>>
>>> But seriously folks, I see no reason to not to use the concept as far as
>>> architectural design goes. How we relate/interact to our environment and
>>> how our surroundings affect us is certainly buried deep within our
>>> psyche and originates to a time when we were living like wild animals.
>>> These apprehensions about our environment is baggage we carry still. I'm
>>> Asian so I can attribute the flow of energy in a room to qi and having
>>> that energy hit a dead end is unacceptable.
>>>
>>> This is a lot better than relying on some vague, unknown, feeling of
>>> unease when describing uncomfortable spaces. We got a system in place
>>> for this and Westerners got nothing.
>>>
>>> OTOH, the building I'm in has 4 crystal balls on the corners of the
>>> building - that's a lot of twaddle! Ahahahahaha!

>> Fung shui boils down to practical design elements with a little
>> mystical hocus pocus attached for added flair.
>>
>> --
>>
>> sf

> Personally, I don't mind a bit of the mystical and unknown in our lives but it doesn't matter if one believes that there's energy flowing through the room or if the fire and water elements have to be in balance. I will not have any hallway that I design end in such an ungraceful way. To see something like that every day would be too depressing.

But there is some provable physics to it.

Just like with acupuncture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 1:44:13 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 7:22:01 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> One thing I certainly do no believe in is the word "twaddle." As far as
>>> Chi goes, can bajillions of Chinese be wong? Er... I mean "wrong?"

>> Yes, they can. It's a logical fallacy called Argumentum ad populum.
>> It doesn't matter how many people believe it; if it's wrong, it's wrong.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> I'd say your editing of MY post is a bit of a twaddle.

I'd say magical thinking makes some folks rather uneasy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18/10/2015 12:52 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-10-18 1:43 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> It's up to those who believe in it to prove its efficacy. Preferably
>> with a controlled double-blind study conducted on a randomly selected,
>> statistically-significant-sized sample.
>>

> Speaking of randomly selected samples.... I have to question the
> validity of the polls whose results are being pulled out all the time. I
> have no faith in them. They are only polling the people they call, which
> means they are only polling the people who were at home, who answered
> the phone and gave their time to answer the questions.

Poll methodology

A national dual - frame (land and cell) random telephone survey is
conducted
nightly by Nanos Research throughout the campaign using live agents. Each
evening a *NEW GROUP* of 400 eligible voters are interviewed. An
oversample of
800 interviews was conducted on Friday and Saturday.

The daily tracking figures are based on a three-day rolling sample composed
of 2,000 interviews. To update the tracking a new day of interviewing is
added and the oldest day dropped. The margin of error for a survey of 1,825
decided voters is ±2.3 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

*Larger sample*

Today's three-day rolling average is based on 2,000 interviews
(800 interviews Saturday, 800 interviews Friday and 400 interviews
Thursday).