General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-07-2015, 01:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 36,804
Default For Gary: Chicken with Walnuts & Sesame Seeds

I'm reposting this recipe in case my reply to you got lost in the thread
about "Southern" cuisine. Mom got this recipe from someone when we
lived in Bangkok. Come to think of it, Thailand is a bit further south
than where I live now.

Chicken with Walnuts & Sesame Seeds

4 boneless chicken breast halves
1 c. finely chopped walnuts
1 c. sesame seeds
2 egg whites
2 Tbs. milk
1/4 c. cornstarch
2 tsp. MSG (that's how old this recipe is, or just add salt to taste)
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs. dry sherry or wine vinegar
oil for deep frying

Slice chicken into very thin strips. (I find it's easier to slice very
thin if partially frozen.)

Combine nuts and sesame seeds in a pie pan or other shallow pan.

Blend egg whites, cornstarch, milk, msg and sugar to make a stiff
batter. Add sherry and stir.

Dip the chicken strips in the batter, then into the nuts and sesame seed
mixture to coat evenly. Lay pieces on a sheet of waxed paper to set.

Deep fry in a deep skillet or wok in hot oil until lightly browned.

Jill

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-07-2015, 04:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 23,520
Default For Gary: Chicken with Walnuts & Sesame Seeds

jmcquown wrote:

I'm reposting this recipe in case my reply to you got lost in the thread
about "Southern" cuisine. Mom got this recipe from someone when we
lived in Bangkok. Come to think of it, Thailand is a bit further south
than where I live now.

Chicken with Walnuts & Sesame Seeds

4 boneless chicken breast halves
1 c. finely chopped walnuts
1 c. sesame seeds
2 egg whites
2 Tbs. milk
1/4 c. cornstarch
2 tsp. MSG (that's how old this recipe is, or just add salt to taste)
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs. dry sherry or wine vinegar
oil for deep frying

Slice chicken into very thin strips. (I find it's easier to slice very
thin if partially frozen.)

Combine nuts and sesame seeds in a pie pan or other shallow pan.

Blend egg whites, cornstarch, milk, msg and sugar to make a stiff
batter. Add sherry and stir.

Dip the chicken strips in the batter, then into the nuts and sesame seed
mixture to coat evenly. Lay pieces on a sheet of waxed paper to set.

Deep fry in a deep skillet or wok in hot oil until lightly browned.


I got the original, Jill. Thanks for posting it. Saved in my recipes
folder.
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-07-2015, 06:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 36,804
Default For Gary: Chicken with Walnuts & Sesame Seeds

On 7/31/2015 11:04 AM, Gary wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

I'm reposting this recipe in case my reply to you got lost in the thread
about "Southern" cuisine. Mom got this recipe from someone when we
lived in Bangkok. Come to think of it, Thailand is a bit further south
than where I live now.

Chicken with Walnuts & Sesame Seeds

4 boneless chicken breast halves
1 c. finely chopped walnuts
1 c. sesame seeds
2 egg whites
2 Tbs. milk
1/4 c. cornstarch
2 tsp. MSG (that's how old this recipe is, or just add salt to taste)
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs. dry sherry or wine vinegar
oil for deep frying

Slice chicken into very thin strips. (I find it's easier to slice very
thin if partially frozen.)

Combine nuts and sesame seeds in a pie pan or other shallow pan.

Blend egg whites, cornstarch, milk, msg and sugar to make a stiff
batter. Add sherry and stir.

Dip the chicken strips in the batter, then into the nuts and sesame seed
mixture to coat evenly. Lay pieces on a sheet of waxed paper to set.

Deep fry in a deep skillet or wok in hot oil until lightly browned.


I got the original, Jill. Thanks for posting it. Saved in my recipes
folder.

I believe it was intended to be an appetizer. Quite rich tasting. The
last time I made this chicken things like sesame seeds weren't nearly as
expensive as they are now.

Jill
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-07-2015, 07:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 654
Default For Gary: Chicken with Walnuts & Sesame Seeds

On 8/1/2015 3:19 AM, jmcquown wrote:
The United States Constitution serves as the law of the land for America
and indicates the intent of our Founding Fathers. The Constitution forms
a secular document, and nowhere does it appeal to God, Christianity,
Jesus, or any supreme being. (For those who think the date of the
Constitution contradicts the last sentence, see note 1 at the end.) The
U.S. government derives from people (not God), as it clearly states in
the preamble: "We the people of the United States, in order to form a
more perfect Union...." The omission of God in the Constitution did not
come out of forgetfulness, but rather out of the Founding Fathers
purposeful intentions to keep government separate from religion.

Although the Constitution does not include the phrase "Separation of
Church & State," neither does it say "Freedom of religion." However, the
Constitution implies both in the 1st Amendment. As to our freedoms, the
1st Amendment provides exclusionary wording:

Congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
[bold caps, mine]

Thomas Jefferson made an interpretation of the 1st Amendment to his
January 1st, 1802 letter to the Committee of the Danbury Baptist
Association calling it a "wall of separation between church and State."
Madison had also written that "Strongly guarded. . . is the separation
between religion and government in the Constitution of the United
States." There existed little controversy about this interpretation from
our Founding Fathers.

If religionists better understood the concept of separation of Church &
State, they would realize that the wall of separation actually protects
their religion. Our secular government allows the free expression of
religion and non-religion. Today, religions flourish in America; we have
more churches than Seven-Elevens.

Although many secular and atheist groups today support and fight for the
wall of separation, this does not mean that they wish to lawfully
eliminate religion from society. On the contrary, you will find no
secular or atheist group attempting to ban Christianity, or any other
religion from American society. Keeping religion separate allows
atheists and religionists alike, to practice their belief systems,
regardless how ridiculous they may seem, without government
intervention. south
than where I live now.

Chicken with Walnuts & Sesame Seeds

4 boneless chicken breast halves
1 c. finely chopped walnuts
1 c. sesame seeds
2 egg whites
2 Tbs. milk
1/4 c. cornstarch
2 tsp. MSG (that's how old this recipe is, or just add salt to taste)
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs. dry sherry or wine vinegar
oil for deep frying

Slice chicken into very thin strips. (I find it's easier to slice very
thin if partially frozen.)

Combine nuts and sesame seeds in a pie pan or other shallow pan.

Blend egg whites, cornstarch, milk, msg and sugar to make a stiff
batter. Add sherry and stir.

Dip the chicken strips in the batter, then into the nuts and sesame

seed
mixture to coat evenly. Lay pieces on a sheet of waxed paper to set.

Deep fry in a deep skillet or wok in hot oil until lightly browned.


I got the original, Jill. Thanks for posting it. Saved in my recipes
folder.

I believe it was intended to be an appetizer. Quite rich tasting. The
last time I made this chicken things like sesame seeds weren't nearly as
expensive as they are now.

Jill

  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-07-2015, 10:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 64
Default For Gary: Chicken with Walnuts & Sesame Seeds

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 08:43:43 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

Chicken with Walnuts & Sesame Seeds

4 boneless chicken breast halves
1 c. finely chopped walnuts
1 c. sesame seeds
2 egg whites
2 Tbs. milk
1/4 c. cornstarch
2 tsp. MSG (that's how old this recipe is, or just add salt to taste)
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs. dry sherry or wine vinegar
oil for deep frying

Slice chicken into very thin strips. (I find it's easier to slice very
thin if partially frozen.)

Combine nuts and sesame seeds in a pie pan or other shallow pan.

Blend egg whites, cornstarch, milk, msg and sugar to make a stiff
batter. Add sherry and stir.

Dip the chicken strips in the batter, then into the nuts and sesame seed
mixture to coat evenly. Lay pieces on a sheet of waxed paper to set.

Deep fry in a deep skillet or wok in hot oil until lightly browned.


That does sound good, something very different from my usual
repertoire. Of course, that also means I don't have half the
ingredients... otherwise I'd make it tonight. Maybe next week...


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-07-2015, 10:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 36,804
Default For Gary: Chicken with Walnuts & Sesame Seeds

On 7/31/2015 5:16 PM, Jeus wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 08:43:43 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

Chicken with Walnuts & Sesame Seeds

4 boneless chicken breast halves
1 c. finely chopped walnuts
1 c. sesame seeds
2 egg whites
2 Tbs. milk
1/4 c. cornstarch
2 tsp. MSG (that's how old this recipe is, or just add salt to taste)
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs. dry sherry or wine vinegar
oil for deep frying

Slice chicken into very thin strips. (I find it's easier to slice very
thin if partially frozen.)

Combine nuts and sesame seeds in a pie pan or other shallow pan.

Blend egg whites, cornstarch, milk, msg and sugar to make a stiff
batter. Add sherry and stir.

Dip the chicken strips in the batter, then into the nuts and sesame seed
mixture to coat evenly. Lay pieces on a sheet of waxed paper to set.

Deep fry in a deep skillet or wok in hot oil until lightly browned.


That does sound good, something very different from my usual
repertoire. Of course, that also means I don't have half the
ingredients... otherwise I'd make it tonight. Maybe next week...

Delicious! One of the few things I found myself snacking on while cooking.

Jill
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 01-08-2015, 06:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 654
Default For Gary: Chicken with Walnuts & Sesame Seeds

On 8/1/2015 7:52 AM, jmcquown wrote:
The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense
founded on the Christian religion

The United States Constitution serves as the law of the land for America
and indicates the intent of our Founding Fathers. The Constitution forms
a secular document, and nowhere does it appeal to God, Christianity,
Jesus, or any supreme being. (For those who think the date of the
Constitution contradicts the last sentence, see note 1 at the end.) The
U.S. government derives from people (not God), as it clearly states in
the preamble: "We the people of the United States, in order to form a
more perfect Union...." The omission of God in the Constitution did not
come out of forgetfulness, but rather out of the Founding Fathers
purposeful intentions to keep government separate from religion.

Although the Constitution does not include the phrase "Separation of
Church & State," neither does it say "Freedom of religion." However, the
Constitution implies both in the 1st Amendment. As to our freedoms, the
1st Amendment provides exclusionary wording:

Congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religion,
or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
[bold caps, mine]

Thomas Jefferson made an interpretation of the 1st Amendment to his
January 1st, 1802 letter to the Committee of the Danbury Baptist
Association calling it a "wall of separation between church and State."
Madison had also written that "Strongly guarded. . . is the separation
between religion and government in the Constitution of the United
States." There existed little controversy about this interpretation from
our Founding Fathers.

If religionists better understood the concept of separation of Church &
State, they would realize that the wall of separation actually protects
their religion. Our secular government allows the free expression of
religion and non-religion. Today, religions flourish in America; we have
more churches than Seven-Elevens.

Although many secular and atheist groups today support and fight for the
wall of separation, this does not mean that they wish to lawfully
eliminate religion from society. On the contrary, you will find no
secular or atheist group attempting to ban Christianity, or any other
religion from American society. Keeping religion separate allows
atheists and religionists alike, to practice their belief systems,
regardless how ridiculous they may seem, without government intervention.



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Sesame Seeds Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 14 12-03-2011 08:22 PM
Sesame seeds and leaves OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 9 22-06-2006 07:48 PM
Deep fried honey chicken with sesame seeds [email protected] General Cooking 1 15-04-2006 06:02 PM
Sesame seeds galore! :-) OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 56 30-09-2005 05:12 PM
Sesame Seeds on Bread Hairy General Cooking 7 15-07-2004 02:57 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017