Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default For Gary: Chicken with Walnuts & Sesame Seeds

I'm reposting this recipe in case my reply to you got lost in the thread
about "Southern" cuisine. Mom got this recipe from someone when we
lived in Bangkok. Come to think of it, Thailand is a bit further south
than where I live now.

Chicken with Walnuts & Sesame Seeds

4 boneless chicken breast halves
1 c. finely chopped walnuts
1 c. sesame seeds
2 egg whites
2 Tbs. milk
1/4 c. cornstarch
2 tsp. MSG (that's how old this recipe is, or just add salt to taste)
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs. dry sherry or wine vinegar
oil for deep frying

Slice chicken into very thin strips. (I find it's easier to slice very
thin if partially frozen.)

Combine nuts and sesame seeds in a pie pan or other shallow pan.

Blend egg whites, cornstarch, milk, msg and sugar to make a stiff
batter. Add sherry and stir.

Dip the chicken strips in the batter, then into the nuts and sesame seed
mixture to coat evenly. Lay pieces on a sheet of waxed paper to set.

Deep fry in a deep skillet or wok in hot oil until lightly browned.

Jill