Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Time to toss your nonstick pans? Maybe not

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...520-story.html

Time to toss your nonstick pans? Maybe not.
Ricardo DeAratanha / Los Angeles Times
By Russ Parsons contact the reporter

Environmental Science

Should you get rid of your nonstick pans? Maybe not
Russ Parsons takes a closer look at nonstick pans

More than 200 scientists from 38 countries say we should avoid a family
of chemical compounds that is found in nonstick cookware. So does that
mean we should toss all those slippery skillets?

The answer is more complicated than you might think. Beware, many
acronyms and some math follow.

The so-called Madrid Statement published in the online journal
Environmental Health Perspectives this month makes a strong argument for
tossing.

The compounds in question are called poly- and perfluoroalkyl substances
(PFASes for short). Theyre used in a wide variety of applications, from
flame retardants to the grease-proof lining of food to-go cartons as
well as the nonstick lining of pots and pans.

The problem with these PFASes is that there is evidence that some of
them can cause health problems, including liver issues, disrupting the
immune and endocrine systems and causing organ tumors as well as being
associated with several specific types of cancers, among other things.

They also last for a long time, in the body and in the environment.
lRelated
Here's why buying the ripest produce isn't always best

Daily Dish
Here's why buying the ripest produce isn't always best

See all related
8

But wait, says the FluoroCouncil, a trade group for the technology. In a
response to EHP, they say the science the Madrid Statement is based on
refers to a type of PFASes called €ślong chain,€ť which the industry has
been phasing out for the last several years in favor of €śshort chain€ť
PFASes that have been found to be less toxic than the old version.

€śThe FluoroCouncil could support many of [the Madrid Statement] policy
recommendations if they were limited to long-chain PFASs,€ť they say in
their response. €śHowever, the application of these recommendations to a
broad universe of PFASs simply cannot be supported.€ť

Another point of view comes from Joe Schwarcz, director of McGill
Universitys Office for Science & Society and a columnist for the
Montreal Gazette.

"The dose makes the poison" is one of the most important rules of
toxicology (though these days it is probably the most forgotten). This
means that dangerous things in small amounts can be harmless while even
the safest things in large amounts can be damaging. Thats why the
traces of naturally occurring arsenic in celery are fine, though
drinking too much water can make you sick.

Schwarcz did a little experiment. He ground the surface of a nonstick
pan with a wire brush and analyzed it for the amount of PFOA (the most
worrisome of the PFASes) it contained. He then calculated the amount
that would be extracted during cooking and compared it with the lowest
safe dose (the lowest dose at which any adverse effect is noted, divided
by a safety factor of 100).

He found even for a 20-pound child that factor was still more than 1,500
times more than the maximum safe dose that would come from the pan.

€śSo the bottom line here is that exposure to PFOA from a Teflon coated
pan is insignificant,€ť he concludes.

Should you trash those pots and pans? Not necessarily, though there are
some common-sense safety precautions you could take if you are concerned.

Never overheat nonstick pans -- at temperatures above 500 degrees the
chemicals become more volatile.

Buy the heaviest nonstick pans you can find -- they heat up more slowly.

Don't use nonstick pans that have become deeply scratched.

And perhaps most obvious: only use nonstick when you have to -- sauteing
delicate fish, for example, or cooking eggs. In most cases, though, good
cooking technique and a well-seasoned regular pan will be all youll need.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Travis McGee wrote:
> http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...520-story.html
>
> Time to toss your nonstick pans? Maybe not.
> Ricardo DeAratanha / Los Angeles Times
> By Russ Parsons contact the reporter
>
> Environmental Science
>
> Should you get rid of your nonstick pans? Maybe not
> Russ Parsons takes a closer look at nonstick pans

All very interesting, but I suspect we are not the only household that
hasn't used a non-stick pan in years, actually decades. The only reason
I remember owning one in the first place was to reduce the amount of fat
needed, and since we don't worry about that, we haven't had such a pan
in a long, long time.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> Travis McGee wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...520-story.html

> > Time to toss your nonstick pans? Maybe not.
> > Ricardo DeAratanha / Los Angeles Times
> > By Russ Parsons contact the reporter
> >
> > Environmental Science
> >
> > Should you get rid of your nonstick pans? Maybe not
> > Russ Parsons takes a closer look at nonstick pans

> All very interesting, but I suspect we are not the only household that
> hasn't used a non-stick pan in years, actually decades. The only reason
> I remember owning one in the first place was to reduce the amount of fat
> needed, and since we don't worry about that, we haven't had such a pan
> in a long, long time.

I use two non-stick frying pans when making simultaneous omelettes or
pancakes for two people. So much easier to flip.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2015 17:14:25 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> I use two non-stick frying pans when making simultaneous omelettes or
> pancakes for two people. So much easier to flip.

I use mine for crepes.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2015 08:55:15 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

>Travis McGee wrote:
>> http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...520-story.html
>>
>> Time to toss your nonstick pans? Maybe not.
>> Ricardo DeAratanha / Los Angeles Times
>> By Russ Parsons contact the reporter
>>
>> Environmental Science
>>
>> Should you get rid of your nonstick pans? Maybe not
>> Russ Parsons takes a closer look at nonstick pans

>All very interesting, but I suspect we are not the only household that
>hasn't used a non-stick pan in years, actually decades. The only reason
>I remember owning one in the first place was to reduce the amount of fat
>needed, and since we don't worry about that, we haven't had such a pan
>in a long, long time.

I've never owned any nonstick coated pans... seasoned stainless steel
works fine for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 21 May 2015 17:14:25 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>> I use two non-stick frying pans when making simultaneous omelettes or
>> pancakes for two people. So much easier to flip.

> I use mine for crepes.

Ah, we don't make crepes. For omlettes and pancakes, we find a
stainless steel pan and some sort of oil work just fine for us.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 May 2015 09:48:42 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 May 2015 17:14:25 +0100, Janet > wrote:
> >
> >> I use two non-stick frying pans when making simultaneous omelettes or
> >> pancakes for two people. So much easier to flip.

> > I use mine for crepes.

> Ah, we don't make crepes. For omlettes and pancakes, we find a
> stainless steel pan and some sort of oil work just fine for us.
>
> -S-

I gave away my crepe pan because it wasn't a multi-tasker and I think
keeping one pan to do one thing (like sacrificing a normal cast iron
skillet to cornbread) is silly. I make omelets in my cast iron pan
and pancakes on my cast iron griddle. Hubby uses the non-stick
skillet for his morning eggs, I don't - but it's still multi-tasking,
so I keep it for crepes. Yes, I can make crepes in cast iron and have
done it - but I don't want to. I don't care what pan you use, butter
is a must.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> I use mine for crepes.

I don't like non-stick surfaces for crepes -- because of uneven butter
distribution, they give you browned blotches, rather than the
traditional lacy patterns. And that may not sound significant, but the
distribution of the browned and crunchy traces affects the taste.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 May 2015 22:08:49 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > I use mine for crepes.

> I don't like non-stick surfaces for crepes -- because of uneven butter
> distribution, they give you browned blotches, rather than the
> traditional lacy patterns. And that may not sound significant, but the
> distribution of the browned and crunchy traces affects the taste.

I can't say that happens for me. Maybe it's the brand of non-stick
that I use. In any case, I actually don't want/like a completely
brown side like we get on pancakes. This is what I want my crepe to
look like. http://oi59.tinypic.com/hwj1hh.jpg

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 May 2015 22:08:49 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>> > I use mine for crepes.

>> I don't like non-stick surfaces for crepes -- because of uneven butter
>> distribution, they give you browned blotches, rather than the
>> traditional lacy patterns. And that may not sound significant, but the
>> distribution of the browned and crunchy traces affects the taste.
>>

> I can't say that happens for me. Maybe it's the brand of non-stick
> that I use. In any case, I actually don't want/like a completely
> brown side like we get on pancakes. This is what I want my crepe to
> look like. http://oi59.tinypic.com/hwj1hh.jpg

I think you ought to come and demonstrate it! Will you bring the toppings
.... ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 May 2015 10:10:08 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message

> >> I don't like non-stick surfaces for crepes -- because of uneven butter
> >> distribution, they give you browned blotches, rather than the
> >> traditional lacy patterns. And that may not sound significant, but the
> >> distribution of the browned and crunchy traces affects the taste.
> >>

> > I can't say that happens for me. Maybe it's the brand of non-stick
> > that I use. In any case, I actually don't want/like a completely
> > brown side like we get on pancakes. This is what I want my crepe to
> > look like. http://oi59.tinypic.com/hwj1hh.jpg
> >

> I think you ought to come and demonstrate it! Will you bring the toppings
> ... ;-)

I can do that! It's summertime, so all I'd need is Nutella, fresh
fruit and whipped cream or ice cream.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 May 2015 10:10:08 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:

>> > I can't say that happens for me. Maybe it's the brand of non-stick
>> > that I use. In any case, I actually don't want/like a completely
>> > brown side like we get on pancakes. This is what I want my crepe to
>> > look like. http://oi59.tinypic.com/hwj1hh.jpg
>> >

>> I think you ought to come and demonstrate it! Will you bring the
>> toppings
>> ... ;-)

> I can do that! It's summertime, so all I'd need is Nutella, fresh
> fruit and whipped cream or ice cream.

heh
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/