Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nonstick fry pans

I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always hand
wash but they still flake after a short time of use. I fry in them,
mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking. Could it
be that the pan gets too hot or is it the oil or butter that I
sometimes use while cooking? I don't want to spend a lot of money and
find the same problem. Could I be doing something to cause the
problem that I am not aware of?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BigD43" > wrote in message
>I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
> scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
> I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always hand
> wash but they still flake after a short time of use. I fry in them,
> mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking. Could it
> be that the pan gets too hot or is it the oil or butter that I
> sometimes use while cooking? I don't want to spend a lot of money and
> find the same problem. Could I be doing something to cause the
> problem that I am not aware of?

I have a 12" Calphalon non-stick pan that I picked up for $30 at Bed Bath &
Beyond 4 years ago. I've had no problems with it. Either you're buying lousy
pans, or you're mistreating them. I never heard of having to rinse them
while hot. Where did that idea come from? If you're repeatedly rinsing a hot
pan with cold water, I suppose it's possible that the sudden temp change
could eventually cause damage. It could also be too much heat.

What brands have you had problems with?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
BigD43 > wrote:

> I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
> scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
> I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always hand
> wash but they still flake after a short time of use. I fry in them,
> mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking. Could it
> be that the pan gets too hot or is it the oil or butter that I
> sometimes use while cooking? I don't want to spend a lot of money and
> find the same problem. Could I be doing something to cause the
> problem that I am not aware of?

It'll be one of two problems:

1. Pan too hot. Coated non-stick shouldn't be heated above medium
heat, or else the coating will degrade.

2. Pan too cheap. With non-stick you really do get what you pay for.

My non-stick pan is a Scanpan ceramic titanium sautee pan. The surface
is incredible as far as its non-stick properties go, and hard-wearing
enough that I expect it to last a lifetime. And no teflon to flake off
into my food.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche > wrote:

:My non-stick pan is a Scanpan ceramic titanium sautee pan. The surface
:is incredible as far as its non-stick properties go, and hard-wearing
:enough that I expect it to last a lifetime. And no teflon to flake off
:into my food.

Hate to break it to you, but scanpan pans are coated with PTFE. (Which
is Teflon not made by dupont, who own the Teflon trademark.) Their
supposedly super-duper titanium finish is a substrate to the
(perfectly ordinary) non-stick surface. The PTFE is supposed to
adhere better to that substrate. That's why they claim you can use a
metal utensil on them. If you over-heat the PTFE will break down.

--
sig 75
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BigD43" > wrote in message
>I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
> scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
> I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always hand
> wash but they still flake after a short time of use. I fry in them,
> mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking.

It is my understanding that you are never supposed to put them in water
while they are hot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
David Scheidt > wrote:

> Miche > wrote:
>
> :My non-stick pan is a Scanpan ceramic titanium sautee pan. The surface
> :is incredible as far as its non-stick properties go, and hard-wearing
> :enough that I expect it to last a lifetime. And no teflon to flake off
> :into my food.
>
> Hate to break it to you, but scanpan pans are coated with PTFE. (Which
> is Teflon not made by dupont, who own the Teflon trademark.) Their
> supposedly super-duper titanium finish is a substrate to the
> (perfectly ordinary) non-stick surface. The PTFE is supposed to
> adhere better to that substrate. That's why they claim you can use a
> metal utensil on them. If you over-heat the PTFE will break down.

Thanks -- I did not know that.

However, my Scanpan can go in an oven up to 500F/260C -- try doing that
with a normal non-stick!

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"T" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article <dfc8d866-3e6a-48aa-a899-1fd6b37b5271
> @l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, says...
>> I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
>> scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
>> I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always hand
>> wash but they still flake after a short time of use. I fry in them,
>> mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking. Could it
>> be that the pan gets too hot or is it the oil or butter that I
>> sometimes use while cooking? I don't want to spend a lot of money and
>> find the same problem. Could I be doing something to cause the
>> problem that I am not aware of?
>>

> Go to a restaurant supply house and get the Wearever-Lincoln brand with
> Cool-Grip II handles. I got mine for $48, have had it for two years and
> it hasn't flaked off at all. Mine is the 12" skillet.

I have to second the motion of going to a restaurant supply house for a good
non-stick pan... as well as all your other kitchen needs. Generally cheaper
and more durable.

After cooking with nonstick for about 15 years, I really don't like them.
When I can afford it, I plan on going to stainless steel with a heat
conductor and just keeping a good Teflon sauté pan around for certain things
like omelets.

Truthfully, over the years I've really come to like well-seasoned cast iron.
There's a need for all three types in your kitchen arsenal, just not a
fifteen-piece set of each, IMO.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 23:54:13 -0800, "Curt Nelson" >
wrote:

>"T" > wrote in message
. ..
>> In article <dfc8d866-3e6a-48aa-a899-1fd6b37b5271
>> @l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, says...
>>> I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
>>> scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
>>> I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always hand
>>> wash but they still flake after a short time of use. I fry in them,
>>> mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking. Could it
>>> be that the pan gets too hot or is it the oil or butter that I
>>> sometimes use while cooking? I don't want to spend a lot of money and
>>> find the same problem. Could I be doing something to cause the
>>> problem that I am not aware of?
>>>

>> Go to a restaurant supply house and get the Wearever-Lincoln brand with
>> Cool-Grip II handles. I got mine for $48, have had it for two years and
>> it hasn't flaked off at all. Mine is the 12" skillet.

>I have to second the motion of going to a restaurant supply house for a good
>non-stick pan... as well as all your other kitchen needs. Generally cheaper
>and more durable.
>
>After cooking with nonstick for about 15 years, I really don't like them.
>When I can afford it, I plan on going to stainless steel with a heat
>conductor and just keeping a good Teflon sauté pan around for certain things
>like omelets.
>
>Truthfully, over the years I've really come to like well-seasoned cast iron.
>There's a need for all three types in your kitchen arsenal, just not a
>fifteen-piece set of each, IMO.
>
>Hasta,
>Curt Nelson

I agree about seasoned cast iron. I have an enamel-coated cast iron
skillet that was very expensive (!) but worth it. It is not non-stick
however, but I put up with that. I can put it into the oven up to 200
degrees C. I also have some ordinary teflon coated non-stick sautee
pans in differing sizes but I don't expect them to last forever. They
never flake, because I don't heat them very high and never ever wash
them until they are cool again. They do get a bit scratched,
however, because I sometimes use metal implements (like a fork to turn
over meatballs!) but generally I get good use out of them.

The Golfer's Wife
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BigD43 > wrote in

..com:

> I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down
> the scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last
> very long. I am careful as to what I use while cooking with
> them and always hand wash but they still flake after a short
> time of use. I fry in them, mostly eggs and bacon, rinse
> while hot to prevent sticking.

I would let them cool before rinsing/washing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
BigD43 > wrote:

> I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
> scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
> I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always hand
> wash but they still flake after a short time of use. I fry in them,
> mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking. Could it
> be that the pan gets too hot or is it the oil or butter that I
> sometimes use while cooking? I don't want to spend a lot of money and
> find the same problem. Could I be doing something to cause the
> problem that I am not aware of?

Define "a short time." I expect to replace my 10" nonstick skillet
about every 2-3 years or so. The current one is a yellow-outside Tivoli
brand from TJ Maxx. I'm sure I didn't pay more than $20 for it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> If you're wearing those out, or anything like the Analon brands,
> then you're doing something wrong. Oil and butter is no problem,
> though washing i the dishwaher might be a problem - I've never
> done that.

I have no problems with washing mine in the dishwasher.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> .. .
> |
> | "BigD43" > wrote in message
> | >I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
> | > scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
> | > I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always hand
> | > wash but they still flake after a short time of use. I fry in them,
> | > mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking.
> |
> | It is my understanding that you are never supposed to put them in water
> | while they are hot.
>
> Scanpan instructions specify to clean them while still hot:
> http://www.scanpan.com/main/faq.aspx#8
> I have had some Scanpans for almost 20 years of pretty
> hard use; still in excellent condition.
>
> pavane

That's not the issue as much as whether it's good to expose them to COLD
WATER while they are still hot. We don't know that it's a problem, nor do we
know if the OP does that.

In other words, nobody in this discussion has enough information to make any
sort of statement about the issue.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 7, 8:07*am, "pavane" > wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>
> .. .
> || "BigD43" > wrote in message

> | >I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
> | > scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
> | > I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always hand
> | > wash but they still flake after a short time of use. *I fry in them,
> | > mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking.
> |
> | It is my understanding that you are never supposed to put them in water
> | while they are hot.
>
> Scanpan instructions specify to clean them while still hot:http://www.scanpan.com/main/faq.aspx#8
> I have had some Scanpans for almost 20 years of pretty
> hard use; still in excellent condition.
>
> pavane

It's the rinsing while hot that is the problem. The metal of the pot
and the teflon coating have very different coefficients of therman
expansion, which means that when you heat or cool them they expand or
contract at very different rates. Since the teflon (PTFE) will
contract much more slowly that metal, they'll separate. If they're
allowed to cool slowly, the elasticity of the teflon will allow it to
"keep up" with the metal as it cools.

I suggest you buy one of the recommended non-stick pots and let it
cool before rinsing, and you'll get the same life out of it as the
others here have gotten from theirs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> | "pavane" > wrote in message
> | >
> | > "cybercat" > wrote in message
> | > .. .
> | > |
> | > |
> long.
> hand
> them,
> | > |
> water
> | >
> | > Scanpan instructions specify to clean them while still hot:
> | > http://www.scanpan.com/main/faq.aspx#8
> | > I have had some Scanpans for almost 20 years of pretty
> | > hard use; still in excellent condition.
> | >
> | > pavane
> | >

> | That's not the issue as much as whether it's good to expose them to COLD
> | WATER while they are still hot. We don't know that it's a problem, nor
> do we
> | know if the OP does that.
> |
> | In other words, nobody in this discussion has enough information to make
> any
> | sort of statement about the issue.
>
> Had you bothered to read the instructions that I searched out for you at
> http://www.scanpan.com/main/faq.aspx#8
> you would have found the following answer in FAQs by Scanpan, which seems
> have enough information to make the statement that I made about cleaning
> them hot and with cold water. In case you are still too lazy to go to the
> referenced page, here is what it says:
>
> " SCANPAN Classic, Professional and Ergonomic clean with the wipe of a
> sponge.
> As with all cookware, cleanup is easiest immediately after use, while the
> pan is
> still warm and any food residue has not yet had a chance to soldify. Due
> SCANPAN's heavy duty construction, you can hold the hot pan under cold
> water and literally steam clean the cooking surface (most other pans can't
> take such treatment)! "
>
> pavane

I don't believe it. Nobody can change the laws of physics.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BigD43 wrote:
> I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
> scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
> I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always
> hand wash but they still flake after a short time of use. ďż˝

The greatest cause of non stick coating failure is cooking at too high
a temperature... use non stick coated cookware only for medium to low
temperatrure cooking... do NOT preheat non stick coated cookware on
high.

> I fry in them, mostly eggs and bacon,

The only reason for non stick coated pans is to prevent sticking when
cooking with minimal fat to cut back on fat calories. There is no
reason to use a non stick pan to cook fatty foods like bacon, or eggs
and bacon, or anything and bacon. Do NOT use non stick coated
cookware unnecessarily or it will wear out prematurely... I bet you
don't wear your most delicate bras to the kids soccer games.

> rinse while hot to prevent sticking.

How would you like someone to dump a pail of cold water on you when
you're all het up... don't do that with any cookware other than a
carbon steel wok.

> Could I be doing something to cause the problem that
> I am not aware of?

Obviously, see above.

Always buy the least expensive non stick coated cookware you can
find... it's nuts to buy designer cookware in the non stick coated
version... means you have more dollars than brain cells and goes
without saying that those types can't cook... they're all show and no
go.

SHELDON
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 7, 10:48�am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "pavane" > wrote in message

> > | . ..
> > | > |
> > | > |
> > long.
> > hand
> > them,
> > | > |
> > water

> > | That's not the issue as much as whether it's good to expose them to COLD
> > | WATER while they are still hot. We don't know that it's a problem, nor
> > do we
> > | know if the OP does that.
> > |
> > | In other words, nobody in this discussion has enough information to make
> > any
> > | sort of statement about the issue.

> > Had you bothered to read the instructions that I searched out for you at
> >http://www.scanpan.com/main/faq.aspx#8
> > you would have found the following answer in FAQs by Scanpan, which seems
> > have enough information to make the statement that I made about cleaning
> > them hot and with cold water. �In case you are still too lazy to go to the
> > referenced page, here is what it says:

> > " SCANPAN Classic, Professional and Ergonomic clean with the wipe of a
> > sponge.
> > As with all cookware, cleanup is easiest immediately after use, while the
> > pan is
> > still warm and any food residue has not yet had a chance to soldify. Due
> > SCANPAN's heavy duty construction, you can hold the hot pan under cold
> > water and literally steam clean the cooking surface (most other pans can't
> > take such treatment)! "

> > pavane

> I don't believe it. Nobody can change the laws of physics

Those instructions don't make sense to me either... if they're truly
non stick why would steaming be necessary... most any grundgy thing
would clean up with steam cleaning, wouldn't need a non stick
coating. Scanpan obviously uses a poor quality non stick coating,
actually their cookware is coated with a titanium ceramic, not a true
non stick coating, it's more durable but not really non stick.. And
the main reason for not subjecting any hot cookware to the shock of
cold water is to prevent warping. Quality cookware typically has a
slight concave set to it's bottom so that when heated and the metal
expands the bottom will become flat... distorting quality cookware
ruins it. Scanpan is far from professional quality cookware, actually
it's over priced crap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> pans, or you're mistreating them. *I never heard of having to rinse them
> while hot. Where did that idea come from? If you're repeatedly rinsing a hot
> pan with cold water, I suppose it's possible that the sudden temp change
> could eventually cause damage. It could also be too much heat.
>
> What brands have you had problems with?

Rinsing even with hot water while they're fresh off a hot burner will
make them warp, which will eventually dislodge the non-stick
surface.

Mostly.

I have a really heavy, non-stick Wearever pan with an all-over matte
gray finish that is very stout, and so far, has held up for 3 years of
my cooking eggs, crepes, or other stuff like that in it. However, I
don't ever heat them up to super-hot - not good for the finish.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> pans, or you're mistreating them. I never heard of having to rinse them
> while hot. Where did that idea come from? If you're repeatedly rinsing a
> hot
> pan with cold water, I suppose it's possible that the sudden temp change
> could eventually cause damage. It could also be too much heat.
>
> What brands have you had problems with?

Rinsing even with hot water while they're fresh off a hot burner will
make them warp, which will eventually dislodge the non-stick
surface.

===========

You might melt the scrubbing tool, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The only non-stick pans I have are for bread. My frying pans and pots
are all copper clad Revere, made in Riverside, CA. over 50 years ago.
I treasure them because they were owned by a friend of mine, a Bataan
Death March survivor who died young (like so many of them due to gross
mistreatment).

I was watching the naked chef's new show shot at his farmhouse
someplace in the English countryside. Never mind the fact that I
wonder why the studio is in what must once have been a chicken coop or
small barn. The non-stick coated pans he uses (with ordinary utensils)
have red dots in them about the size of a large coin. Is that some
sort of tattle-tale for heat? I've never seen that before. I keep
watching while he's cooking to see if they change color... hasn't
happened yet.

Say, what does the red dot do, anyway? Is it an English trick to fool
us Amurikins, or is it just meant to further confuse and disorient the
Irish?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dull knife > wrote:
>The non-stick coated pans he uses (with ordinary
> utensils) have red dots in them about the size of a large coin. Is
> that some sort of tattle-tale for heat? I've never seen that before.
> I keep watching while he's cooking to see if they change color...
> hasn't happened yet.
>
> Say, what does the red dot do, anyway? Is it an English trick to fool
> us Amurikins, or is it just meant to further confuse and disorient the
> Irish?

Tefal thermo spot, lets you know when the pan has heated up enough.

http://www.tefal.co.uk/tefal/magazin...V4X2WQAPQ22032

Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom > wrote:
:> Irish?

: Tefal thermo spot, lets you know when the pan has heated up enough.

Twice. Then it stops working.

--
sig 33
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tom" > wrote in message
> dull knife > wrote:
>>The non-stick coated pans he uses (with ordinary
>> utensils) have red dots in them about the size of a large coin. Is
>> that some sort of tattle-tale for heat? I've never seen that before.
>> I keep watching while he's cooking to see if they change color...
>> hasn't happened yet.
>>
>> Say, what does the red dot do, anyway? Is it an English trick to fool
>> us Amurikins, or is it just meant to further confuse and disorient the
>> Irish?

> Tefal thermo spot, lets you know when the pan has heated up enough.
>
> http://www.tefal.co.uk/tefal/magazin...V4X2WQAPQ22032
>
> Tom

Perfect for people who can't learn to notice things, like "pan feels hot
enough when I hold my hand over it". Or, "Turn burner control to 4 and wait
30 seconds, just like the last 8000 times I made eggs." Duh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:In article
: Sheldon > wrote:

:> Those instructions don't make sense to me either... if they're truly
:> non stick why would steaming be necessary... most any grundgy thing
:> would clean up with steam cleaning, wouldn't need a non stick
:> coating. Scanpan obviously uses a poor quality non stick coating,
:> actually their cookware is coated with a titanium ceramic, not a true
:> non stick coating, it's more durable but not really non stick..

:Really? I've tried very hard to get something to stick to my Scanpan
:sautee pan and it hasn't worked.

Why do you expect Sheldon to know anything? If he tells you the sky
is blue, seek independent confirmation. Scanpan uses the same basic
non-stick stuff as everyone else. They're just applied to a ceramic
substrate. The substrate sticks to the aluminum better than plain
PTFE, and the PTFE sticks to it much better than it does to plain
aluminum. They also claim they use less.

--
sig 119
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <070220081153444248%ouchimbleeding@ouchimbleeding. com>,
dull knife > wrote:

> Say, um, what's up with Jamie Oliver? He's married with children,
> right?

Uh, yeah. So what? Most other "celebrity chefs" are married with
children, and we don't always see their families.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> "T" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > In article <dfc8d866-3e6a-48aa-a899-1fd6b37b5271
> > @l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
says...
> >> I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
> >> scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
> >> I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always hand
> >> wash but they still flake after a short time of use. I fry in them,
> >> mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking. Could it
> >> be that the pan gets too hot or is it the oil or butter that I
> >> sometimes use while cooking? I don't want to spend a lot of money and
> >> find the same problem. Could I be doing something to cause the
> >> problem that I am not aware of?
> >>

> > Go to a restaurant supply house and get the Wearever-Lincoln brand with
> > Cool-Grip II handles. I got mine for $48, have had it for two years and
> > it hasn't flaked off at all. Mine is the 12" skillet.

> I have to second the motion of going to a restaurant supply house for a good
> non-stick pan... as well as all your other kitchen needs. Generally cheaper
> and more durable.
>
> After cooking with nonstick for about 15 years, I really don't like them.
> When I can afford it, I plan on going to stainless steel with a heat
> conductor and just keeping a good Teflon sauté pan around for certain things
> like omelets.
>
> Truthfully, over the years I've really come to like well-seasoned cast iron.
> There's a need for all three types in your kitchen arsenal, just not a
> fifteen-piece set of each, IMO.
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

The only thing I really use non-stick for is things like omelets or
other really sticky things.

It occasionally gets used for a quick fry but that's about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:27:01 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>All I know is that when I'm done cooking, I rinse them off in warm soapy
>water, towel dry, and hang them on their hook. Never had a problem with
>chipping or anything like that from either brand I use. Never tried
>Scanpan though. I don't know nothing about no physics

My el-cheapo nonstick pans usually last for more than 3 years. I
figure they'd probably last longer if I let them cool before I put
them in water.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Miche
> wrote:

> dull knife wrote:
>
> > Say, um, what's up with Jamie Oliver? He's married with children,
> > right?

> Uh, yeah. So what? Most other "celebrity chefs" are married with
> children, and we don't always see their families.
>
> Miche

You stopped reading too soon. I'm wondering why we don't see her (when
she's been on display a couple of times previously, like when they had
their first child). Did she move out to the farm with him, and is she
responsible for pushing him out to what looks like a remodled chicken
coop?

So it's not the fact of the marriage I'm asking about, it's the new
circumstances. And while I'm at it, they once featured Jamie's band
and, I think, they used the band for a theme song to one of his shows.
I looked for the album but, like King Crimson, apparently only sold in
the Old Country.

=-=-=-=-= orig. =-=-=-=-=

knife > wrote:

> Say, um, what's up with Jamie Oliver? He's married with children,
> right? I don't see her. She was briefly on the other shows when it
> was shot in his flat. Is she the one who's pushed him out to the
> garage to make the show? What is he doing in this new show? It seems
> aimless. Worse than the cooking school gig. I liked it when he rode
> his scooter around London to shops where he bought the fixin's for the
> meals he prepared on the show.
>
> Say, did anyone notice that he throws his garbage over a garden wall
> into the neighbor's yard. Is this a civilized person, or what?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

*BigD43 > wrote:
I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always
hand wash but they still flake after a short time of use. *I fry in
them,
mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking. Could it
be that the pan gets too hot or is it the oil or butter that I
sometimes use while cooking? *I don't want to spend a lot of money
and
find the same problem. *Could I be doing something to cause the
problem that I am not aware of?

It'll be one of two problems: *

1. *Pan too hot. *Coated non-stick shouldn't be heated above medium
heat, or else the coating will degrade.
2. *Pan too cheap. *With non-stick you really do get what you pay for.

I have bought a couple of cheap non-stick pans, One from Wal-Mart and
one from
Sams but the last one I bought was from a restaurant supply house and
was in the sixty dollar range.
I am still using that one but it looks a little worn and it is less
than a year old. I cook hambergers in
it on the stove top as I did with the others and it gets relly hot.
I always turn the burner on high and
let it get really hot then I turn it down to the temp I cook at. I
have always done this with black iron
and never had a problem. The reason I rinse while it is still hot is
I saw that on one of the cooking
shows and all I have to do is wipe it with a damp sponge and a little
soap and it is clean. I had no
idea I might be shocking the metal. I had so many replies to my
question, I am more confused now
and my write Martha Stewart for help. Thanks for your reply

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BigD43 > wrote:
[...]

===================

I usually don't type in all caps, but this time, I will:

YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO USE NON-STICK PANS WITH HIGH HEAT.

Of course you didn't have problem with black iron. IT'S A DIFFERENT
MATERIAL, YOU FRIGGIN' IDIOT.

Find a 7 year old child and have him or her read the instructions for your
pan and explain them to you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <070220081624245371%ouchimbleeding@ouchimbleeding. com>,
dull knife > wrote:

> In article >, Miche
> > wrote:
>
> > dull knife wrote:
> >
> > > Say, um, what's up with Jamie Oliver? He's married with children,
> > > right?

> > Uh, yeah. So what? Most other "celebrity chefs" are married with
> > children, and we don't always see their families.
> >
> > Miche

> You stopped reading too soon.

No, I didn't.

> I'm wondering why we don't see her (when
> she's been on display a couple of times previously, like when they had
> their first child). Did she move out to the farm with him, and is she
> responsible for pushing him out to what looks like a remodled chicken
> coop?

I don't know and I don't care. Why do you care? It's their marriage,
and therefore their business -- not mine, and not yours.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 7, 8:21*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "BigD43" > wrote in message

> On Feb 6, 11:34 pm, Miche > wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,

> * BigD43 > wrote:
> *I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
> *scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
> *I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always
> hand wash but they still flake after a short time of use. I fry in
> them,
> *mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking. Could it
> *be that the pan gets too hot or is it the oil or butter that I
> *sometimes use while cooking? I don't want to spend a lot of money
> and
> *find the same problem. Could I be doing something to cause the
> *problem that I am not aware of?
>
> *It'll be one of two problems:
>
> *1. Pan too hot. Coated non-stick shouldn't be heated above medium
> *heat, or else the coating will degrade.
> 2. Pan too cheap. With non-stick you really do get what you pay for.
>
> I have bought a couple of cheap non-stick pans, One from Wal-Mart and
> one from
> Sams but the last one I bought was from a restaurant supply house and
> was in the sixty dollar range.
> I am still using that one but it looks a little worn and it is less
> than a year old. *I cook hambergers in
> *it on the stove top as I did with the others and it gets relly hot.
> I always turn the burner on high and
> *let it get really hot then I turn it down to the temp I cook at. *I
> have always done this with black iron
> and never had a problem. *The reason I rinse while it is still hot is
> I saw that on one of the cooking
> shows and all I have to do is wipe it with a damp sponge and a little
> soap and it is clean. *I had no
> idea I might be shocking the metal. *I had so many replies to my
> question, I am more confused now
> and my write Martha Stewart for help. Thanks for your reply
>
> ===================
>
> I usually don't type in all caps, but this time, I will:
>
> YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO USE NON-STICK PANS WITH HIGH HEAT.
>
> Of course you didn't have problem with black iron. IT'S A DIFFERENT
> MATERIAL, YOU FRIGGIN' IDIOT.
>
> Find a 7 year old child and have him or her read the instructions for your
> pan and explain them to you.

Thanks for your reply, especially the YOU FRIGGIN IDIOT part. I have
read every instruction that came with the cook ware, and all I could
find on the net as well and none said be aware of high heat. Thanks
for pointing it out to me as only you could. I shall no longer expose
my non-stick cook ware to high heat. P.S. the all caps was a nice
touch, hurt my ears a little but still, a nice touch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BigD43" > wrote in message
On Feb 7, 8:21 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "BigD43" > wrote in message

> On Feb 6, 11:34 pm, Miche > wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,

> BigD43 > wrote:
> I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
> scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
> I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always
> hand wash but they still flake after a short time of use. I fry in
> them,
> mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking. Could it
> be that the pan gets too hot or is it the oil or butter that I
> sometimes use while cooking? I don't want to spend a lot of money
> and
> find the same problem. Could I be doing something to cause the
> problem that I am not aware of?
>
> It'll be one of two problems:
>
> 1. Pan too hot. Coated non-stick shouldn't be heated above medium
> heat, or else the coating will degrade.
> 2. Pan too cheap. With non-stick you really do get what you pay for.
>
> I have bought a couple of cheap non-stick pans, One from Wal-Mart and
> one from
> Sams but the last one I bought was from a restaurant supply house and
> was in the sixty dollar range.
> I am still using that one but it looks a little worn and it is less
> than a year old. I cook hambergers in
> it on the stove top as I did with the others and it gets relly hot.
> I always turn the burner on high and
> let it get really hot then I turn it down to the temp I cook at. I
> have always done this with black iron
> and never had a problem. The reason I rinse while it is still hot is
> I saw that on one of the cooking
> shows and all I have to do is wipe it with a damp sponge and a little
> soap and it is clean. I had no
> idea I might be shocking the metal. I had so many replies to my
> question, I am more confused now
> and my write Martha Stewart for help. Thanks for your reply
>
> ===================
>
> I usually don't type in all caps, but this time, I will:
>
> YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO USE NON-STICK PANS WITH HIGH HEAT.
>
> Of course you didn't have problem with black iron. IT'S A DIFFERENT
> MATERIAL, YOU FRIGGIN' IDIOT.
>
> Find a 7 year old child and have him or her read the instructions for your
> pan and explain them to you.

Thanks for your reply, especially the YOU FRIGGIN IDIOT part. I have
read every instruction that came with the cook ware, and all I could
find on the net as well and none said be aware of high heat. Thanks
for pointing it out to me as only you could. I shall no longer expose
my non-stick cook ware to high heat. P.S. the all caps was a nice
touch, hurt my ears a little but still, a nice touch.

I imagine you could get away with 'cooking' with high heat, but you are
heating the pan empty with high heat. The instructions came with your pan
and told you the highest temperature that you could subject it to. Heating
a pan empty and cooking with heat are two different things. Does your pan
rock or wobble when you set it down on the burner -- I would expect it to do
so after empty high heat and then thrusting it into water while it was hot
and empty. Cast iron can stand a great deal of heat and is often heated
empty, still, I wouldn't take an empty hot cast iron pan and thrust it into
wash water. If I wanted to get crusty stuff off a cast iron pan I would
heat the pan with the water in it and scrape the bottom. Be kind to your
metal pans. ;o}
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Miche
> wrote:

> > You stopped reading too soon.

> No, I didn't.

Your comment comes before the qualifier.

It's as if I said, "What a lousy day at the stadium. But my team won."
You seem to be fixated on, "What a lousy day at the stadium," missing
the qualifying statement, "But my team won." Two different
discussions.

He

> Say, um, what's up with Jamie Oliver? He's married with children,
> right? I don't see her. She was briefly on the other shows when it
> was shot in his flat. Is she the one who's pushed him out to the
> garage to make the show?

See? You stopped after, "Say, um, what's up with Jamie Oliver? He's
married with children, right?" I suppose your comments might have some
merit (in my opinion) if that's all I had said. But I went on to say,
"She was briefly on the other shows when it was shot in his flat. Is
she the one who's pushed him out to the garage to make the show?" If
you put those together, my statement has little to do with his actual
marriage and more to do with her role on the show. They could be
divorced now, for all I know (something else celebrities do), in which
case someone would have answered my entire comment by saying so.
Otherwise, why don't we see her when she was part of another of his
shows?

> I don't know and I don't care. Why do you care? It's their marriage,
> and therefore their business -- not mine, and not yours.

As I said, it's not about the actual marriage, it's about why don't we
see her, and what role is she playing in his show being shot in the
chicken coop instead of the house?

There are very few things people can say, particularly in a group like
this, to which you cannot reply, "Why do you care?" That doesn't
promote discussion. Why the animosity? It's just not necessary.

I don't see you in "_Subject: My BEST meatballs ever!_" I don't see
you in "_Subject: New Toy - Pressure Cooker_" I don't see you in
"_Subject: Costco Tour_" and several others. Why didn't you post to
some of these with your "Why do you care?" since you obviously didn't
care about them. Instead, you latched onto my comments, which were
only minimally controversial, and chose to throw them back at me with
"Why do you care?" It doesn't make any sense.

Do I know you? Have we crossed swords before and I've inadvertently
followed you here and invaded your territory? If so, then I should
probably leave and try to make friends and contribute someplace else.
But not before apologizing for whatever indiscretion I may have
committed. I'm sorry. Please accept my apology. For whatever I said
that bothered you, which I fail to understand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
BigD43 > wrote:

> On Feb 7, 8:21*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> > "BigD43" > wrote in message

> > On Feb 6, 11:34 pm, Miche > wrote:
> >
> > > In article

> > * BigD43 > wrote:
> > *I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
> > *scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
> > *I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always
> > hand wash but they still flake after a short time of use. I fry in
> > them,
> > *mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking. Could it
> > *be that the pan gets too hot or is it the oil or butter that I
> > *sometimes use while cooking? I don't want to spend a lot of money
> > and
> > *find the same problem. Could I be doing something to cause the
> > *problem that I am not aware of?
> >
> > *It'll be one of two problems:
> >
> > *1. Pan too hot. Coated non-stick shouldn't be heated above medium
> > *heat, or else the coating will degrade.
> > 2. Pan too cheap. With non-stick you really do get what you pay for.
> >
> > I have bought a couple of cheap non-stick pans, One from Wal-Mart and
> > one from
> > Sams but the last one I bought was from a restaurant supply house and
> > was in the sixty dollar range.
> > I am still using that one but it looks a little worn and it is less
> > than a year old. *I cook hambergers in
> > *it on the stove top as I did with the others and it gets relly hot.
> > I always turn the burner on high and
> > *let it get really hot then I turn it down to the temp I cook at. *I
> > have always done this with black iron
> > and never had a problem. *The reason I rinse while it is still hot is
> > I saw that on one of the cooking
> > shows and all I have to do is wipe it with a damp sponge and a little
> > soap and it is clean. *I had no
> > idea I might be shocking the metal. *I had so many replies to my
> > question, I am more confused now
> > and my write Martha Stewart for help. Thanks for your reply
> >
> > ===================
> >
> > I usually don't type in all caps, but this time, I will:
> >
> > YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO USE NON-STICK PANS WITH HIGH HEAT.
> >
> > Of course you didn't have problem with black iron. IT'S A DIFFERENT
> > MATERIAL, YOU FRIGGIN' IDIOT.
> >
> > Find a 7 year old child and have him or her read the instructions for your
> > pan and explain them to you.

> Thanks for your reply, especially the YOU FRIGGIN IDIOT part. I have
> read every instruction that came with the cook ware, and all I could
> find on the net as well and none said be aware of high heat. Thanks
> for pointing it out to me as only you could. I shall no longer expose
> my non-stick cook ware to high heat. P.S. the all caps was a nice
> touch, hurt my ears a little but still, a nice touch.

Joe is far from the only poster to have said "don't use your non-stick
pan on a high heat".

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <070220081904518961%ouchimbleeding@ouchimbleeding. com>,
dull knife > wrote:

> In article >, Miche
> > wrote:
>
> > > You stopped reading too soon.

> > No, I didn't.

> Your comment comes before the qualifier.

I read the whole post and replied to the part I was interested in. The
fact that you're interested in it doesn't mean I should be.

> It's as if I said, "What a lousy day at the stadium. But my team won."
> You seem to be fixated on, "What a lousy day at the stadium," missing
> the qualifying statement, "But my team won." Two different
> discussions.

See above.

> He
>
> > Say, um, what's up with Jamie Oliver? He's married with children,
> > right? I don't see her. She was briefly on the other shows when it
> > was shot in his flat. Is she the one who's pushed him out to the
> > garage to make the show?

> See? You stopped after, "Say, um, what's up with Jamie Oliver? He's
> married with children, right?"

No, I didn't. I read the whole post and replied to the part I was
interested in.

> I suppose your comments might have some
> merit (in my opinion) if that's all I had said. But I went on to say,
> "She was briefly on the other shows when it was shot in his flat. Is
> she the one who's pushed him out to the garage to make the show?" If
> you put those together, my statement has little to do with his actual
> marriage and more to do with her role on the show. They could be
> divorced now, for all I know (something else celebrities do), in which
> case someone would have answered my entire comment by saying so.
> Otherwise, why don't we see her when she was part of another of his
> shows?
>
> > I don't know and I don't care. Why do you care? It's their marriage,
> > and therefore their business -- not mine, and not yours.

> As I said, it's not about the actual marriage, it's about why don't we
> see her, and what role is she playing in his show being shot in the
> chicken coop instead of the house?

I don't care about that either. It's their arrangement to make.

> There are very few things people can say, particularly in a group like
> this, to which you cannot reply, "Why do you care?" That doesn't
> promote discussion. Why the animosity? It's just not necessary.

This isn't animosity. It's a genuine enquiry as to why you care about
something that isn't your business. If you want animosity, there's
plenty on the group.

> I don't see you in "_Subject: My BEST meatballs ever!_" I don't see
> you in "_Subject: New Toy - Pressure Cooker_" I don't see you in
> "_Subject: Costco Tour_" and several others. Why didn't you post to
> some of these with your "Why do you care?" since you obviously didn't
> care about them. Instead, you latched onto my comments, which were
> only minimally controversial, and chose to throw them back at me with
> "Why do you care?" It doesn't make any sense.

You don't get to dictate to me about what posts hold my interest and
what don't.

> Do I know you? Have we crossed swords before and I've inadvertently
> followed you here and invaded your territory?

Probably not.

> If so, then I should
> probably leave and try to make friends and contribute someplace else.
> But not before apologizing for whatever indiscretion I may have
> committed. I'm sorry. Please accept my apology. For whatever I said
> that bothered you, which I fail to understand.

I'm not bothered. I'm just interested in why you want to know so much
about how Jamie Oliver's marriage works.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking
ONM ONM is offline

On Feb 6, 10:57*pm, BigD43 > wrote:
> I have bought several coated fry pans with prices up and down the
> scale in price and cannot seem to find one that will last very long.
> I am careful as to what I use while cooking with them and always hand
> wash but they still flake after a short time of use. *I fry in them,
> mostly eggs and bacon, rinse while hot to prevent sticking. Could it
> be that the pan gets too hot or is it the oil or butter that I
> sometimes use while cooking? *I don't want to spend a lot of money and
> find the same problem. *Could I be doing something to cause the
> problem that I am not aware of?

I'd recommend these 2 pans, I've included the links:

1- 14 inch Tramontina Professional Restaurant fry pan, NSF approved.
This pan had a rubber handle that slides off the s-steel handle for
the oven. It is very thick guage steel, It is good for 300 degrees,
and the surface hasn't ever had anything stick to it yet. Here is the
link, it is a great pan - 3 big rivets, very durable made in the
USA.
http://the-nutrionist.stores.yahoo.n...4alnofryp.html

2- Lagostina Commercial heavy guage pan - I have 2 of these, 12 inch
and 6 inch - I can't find them online, they are very thick steel and
are good in the oven up to 350 degrees. The surface is gold and the
handle is dark grey steel, the exteriour is brushed aluminum, They
are commercial grade.

Also, the rinsing after use while hot is a big no-no....especially on
cheaper pans.

You'll be happy with a pan that costs about 50-70 bucks for a 12-14
incher. Get one on sale for 20 bucks off an you'll be a happy
chef.

Tip - Check out Winners....I'm in Ottawa Canada and the WInners around
here have awesome kitchen supplies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 7, 9:36*pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> [...]

> my non-stick cook ware to high heat. *P.S. the all caps was a nice
> touch, hurt my ears a little but still, a nice touch.
>
> I imagine you could get away with 'cooking' with high heat, but you are
> heating the pan empty with high heat. *The instructions came with your pan
> and told you the highest temperature that you could subject it to. *Heating
> a pan empty and cooking with heat are two different things. *Does your pan
> rock or wobble when you set it down on the burner -- I would expect it to do
> so after empty high heat and then thrusting it into water while it was hot
> and empty. *Cast iron can stand a great deal of heat and is often heated
> empty, still, I wouldn't take an empty hot cast iron pan and thrust it into
> wash water. *If I wanted to get crusty stuff off a cast iron pan I would
> heat the pan with the water in it and scrape the bottom. *Be kind to your

Thanks Janet, yes I have noticed the cheaper pan did warp some and I
suspected it was from the high heat but I had always cooked that way
and thought it was just a cheap pan. I never dipped my pans into cold
water. I put dish soap in the pan and ran warm water and spunged it
out and dried it. They always came clean so easly and I thought it
was a good system. I had seen it on TV but they were selling easy
clean cook ware. After reading about flaking non-stick pans I really
started looking at my cook ware for problems and I found some. Flakes
and scraches so I bought new. After a year or so I found the same
thing, thought it must me something that I was doing wrong and I think
heat is probably the cause but wanted to see if anyone else may have
had the same problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 19:36:18 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>Janet

Janet, you need to tweak your newsreader.... it is not putting quoted
text markers next to the quoted text. I don't use OE, so I can't tell
you where to look.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 16:22:51 +1300, Miche >
wrote:

>Joe is far from the only poster to have said "don't use your non-stick
>pan on a high heat".

They are making thick bottomed nonstick pans now that are still well
under $20. The problem with high heat on the thinner ones was
warping. Losing the nonstick coating came much later.