Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default French Steel pans vs. the Expensive Pans

On Tue, 18 May 2004 19:46:09 -0300, "BJ42" > wrote:

>I currently have a stainless steel Lagostina set but have moved towards the
>french steel pans sold at restaurant supply stores.
>
>Why do people buy $100 pans when a french steel pan costs $12? I am assuming
>restaurants use these over the expensive cuisinart/lagostina and all-clad?
>
>Having used both, I think the steel pans are superior and I haven't used the
>lagostina pans ever since. I am sure this all comes down to personal
>preference and aesthetics but I wonder what you chefs out there prefer and
>why?

What do you use them for?

I use different kinds of pans for different purposes, and I think most
people do.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .
Curt Nelson

> Why do people buy $100 pans when a french steel pan costs $12? I am
assuming
> restaurants use these over the expensive cuisinart/lagostina and all-clad?
>
> Having used both, I think the steel pans are superior and I haven't used

the
> lagostina pans ever since. I am sure this all comes down to personal
> preference and aesthetics but I wonder what you chefs out there prefer and
> why?

I can't help but to comment that, after watching the "Great Chefs" cooking
shows for years, I find it interesting that practically every hotshot chef
I've ever seen uses really cheap pans. I can only recall a couple ever using
expensive Calphalon-like cookware or even Teflon, for that matter.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Steve the Sauropodman

"Curt Nelson" > wrote in message >...
> > Why do people buy $100 pans when a french steel pan costs $12? I am

> assuming
> > restaurants use these over the expensive cuisinart/lagostina and all-clad?
> >
> > Having used both, I think the steel pans are superior and I haven't used

> the
> > lagostina pans ever since. I am sure this all comes down to personal
> > preference and aesthetics but I wonder what you chefs out there prefer and
> > why?

> I can't help but to comment that, after watching the "Great Chefs" cooking
> shows for years, I find it interesting that practically every hotshot chef
> I've ever seen uses really cheap pans. I can only recall a couple ever using
> expensive Calphalon-like cookware or even Teflon, for that matter.
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

Excellent point. I recently recieved the 40th Anniversary edition of
Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking for my birthday.
While Julia does say that hand-tinned copper cookware has its place in
a well appointed kitchen, she highly recommends that serious cooks
check out their local restaurant supplier for cookware. It's far less
expensive than the name brands, and when compared to the daily abuse
it recieves in a restaurant, the cookware is prectically
indestructable. But I do agree that different pots and pans are used
for different applications, and one type on material will not fit all
cooking situations. That being said, a well seasoned French/Blacik
steel pan is a great tool in the kitchen.

Cheers,
Steve
Werner Saurer

BJ42 wrote:
> I currently have a stainless steel Lagostina set but have moved towards the
> french steel pans sold at restaurant supply stores.
>
> Why do people buy $100 pans when a french steel pan costs $12? I am assuming
> restaurants use these over the expensive cuisinart/lagostina and all-clad?
>
> Having used both, I think the steel pans are superior and I haven't used the
> lagostina pans ever since. I am sure this all comes down to personal
> preference and aesthetics but I wonder what you chefs out there prefer and
> why?
>
> Have a great night/day !
>
> Stefan

Hi,

I think the steel pans (or cast iron, for that matter) take more care
than stainless and may not look as "nice". But I agree with you, I'd
prefer a nice steel pan over a stainless one. Whenever the natural
grease coating wears off I use the pan to make pancakes, and the natural
non-stick surface is restored.

--Werner

BJ42

I still use a teflon wok but I do plan on buying a commercial/traditional
steel one to replace it shortly. I am not planing on adding any "fancy" pans
to my wedding registry. Don't get me wrong, I agree that both have a use
depending on the application - I just don't know what it is as of yet!

Thank you all for your replies thus far.

SDB

"Curt Nelson" > wrote in message
> > Why do people buy $100 pans when a french steel pan costs $12? I am

> assuming
> > restaurants use these over the expensive cuisinart/lagostina and

all-clad?

> > Having used both, I think the steel pans are superior and I haven't used

> the
> > lagostina pans ever since. I am sure this all comes down to personal
> > preference and aesthetics but I wonder what you chefs out there prefer

and
> > why?

> I can't help but to comment that, after watching the "Great Chefs" cooking
> shows for years, I find it interesting that practically every hotshot chef
> I've ever seen uses really cheap pans. I can only recall a couple ever

using
> expensive Calphalon-like cookware or even Teflon, for that matter.
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

BJ42

They are more difficult to care for but not by much. When I purchase a new
steel pan I simply put it in the oven for 5 hours at 350C. After each use I
wash it and apply shortning to it. They are not as nice but again, they cook
extremely well and seem to last as well. Also, food does not seems to stick
at all compared to my lagostina pans - which are a PAIN to clean.

Again, just my observations.

"Werner Saurer" > wrote in message

> BJ42 wrote:
> > I currently have a stainless steel Lagostina set but have moved towards

the
> > french steel pans sold at restaurant supply stores.
> >
> > Why do people buy $100 pans when a french steel pan costs $12? I am

assuming
> > restaurants use these over the expensive cuisinart/lagostina and

all-clad?

> > Having used both, I think the steel pans are superior and I haven't used

the
> > lagostina pans ever since. I am sure this all comes down to personal
> > preference and aesthetics but I wonder what you chefs out there prefer

and
> > why?
> >
> > Have a great night/day !
> >
> > Stefan
> >

> Hi,
>
> I think the steel pans (or cast iron, for that matter) take more care
> than stainless and may not look as "nice". But I agree with you, I'd
> prefer a nice steel pan over a stainless one. Whenever the natural
> grease coating wears off I use the pan to make pancakes, and the natural
> non-stick surface is restored.
>
> --Werner

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 19 May 2004 06:15:16 GMT, "Curt Nelson" >
wrote:

>> Why do people buy $100 pans when a french steel pan costs $12? I am

>assuming
>> restaurants use these over the expensive cuisinart/lagostina and all-clad?
>>
>> Having used both, I think the steel pans are superior and I haven't used

>the
>> lagostina pans ever since. I am sure this all comes down to personal
>> preference and aesthetics but I wonder what you chefs out there prefer and
>> why?

>I can't help but to comment that, after watching the "Great Chefs" cooking
>shows for years, I find it interesting that practically every hotshot chef
>I've ever seen uses really cheap pans. I can only recall a couple ever using
>expensive Calphalon-like cookware or even Teflon, for that matter.

Perhaps I shouldn't comment, being w/o a TV, but when I do see chefs
on someone else's TV, they have always been using professional gear.
Certainly nothing cheaper than Calphalon. Teflon, no. They generally
want to deglaze, and then throw the pan at the dishwashing station.

Riveted handles always. Heavy always except in special cases.

I watch what they use whenever a restaurant kitchen is visible, either
through a window or from a counter. The same as above. Perhaps more
relevant, since the TV chef may have been given a set of something so
it will appear.
Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .
Dan Abel

In article >, Rodney Myrvaagnes
> wrote:

> On 19 May 2004 06:15:16 GMT, "Curt Nelson" >
> wrote:

> >I can't help but to comment that, after watching the "Great Chefs" cooking
> >shows for years, I find it interesting that practically every hotshot chef
> >I've ever seen uses really cheap pans. I can only recall a couple ever using
> >expensive Calphalon-like cookware or even Teflon, for that matter.

> Perhaps I shouldn't comment, being w/o a TV, but when I do see chefs
> on someone else's TV, they have always been using professional gear.
> Certainly nothing cheaper than Calphalon. Teflon, no. They generally
> want to deglaze, and then throw the pan at the dishwashing station.

> Riveted handles always. Heavy always except in special cases.

> I watch what they use whenever a restaurant kitchen is visible, either
> through a window or from a counter. The same as above. Perhaps more
> relevant, since the TV chef may have been given a set of something so
> it will appear.

I've read that those tv chefs are paid to use the expensive stuff.
However, when I see a chef on tv who doesn't have their own show, they are
using really cheap, thin pans for frying. They say that the heat gets
transferred from the stove to the food more quickly that way, since they
don't have to get the pans heated up, and time is money.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Kenneth

On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:49:58 -0400, Rodney Myrvaagnes
> wrote:

>but when I do see chefs
>on someone else's TV, they have always been using professional gear.

Howdy,

The situation is similar to that of athletes who use a particular
brand of sport shoe: Advertising...

Also, calling those pots "professional" really speaks to the point in
another way. The vast majority of professional cooking is done on what
the OP called French steel (usually called black steel in the trade),
but now-a-days most of us think of professional cooking gear as the
shiny stuff we have come to see on the tube. Again, advertising...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

PENMART01

>what the OP called French steel (usually called black steel in the trade),
>
>Kenneth

Actually called "carbon steel", in and out of the "trade".

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon