Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quesadillas in Nonstick Pans

The first time I tried it they were not crisp, yet nearly burnt on one side.
I used too much oil and too high heat, I think.

The second time I got the pan nice and hot then put just maybe two drops of
olive oil in, let IT get hot and put the flour tortilla in with
garlicky-spicy shredded beef, a dab of refried, chiles, and cheese spread
evenly. Topped with another tortilla, turned the heat to medium and left it
for maybe, three minutes. Peeked and we had brownage, not soggy! Flipped it,
did the other side for the same length of time and they were very nice.
Light, a bit crispy, not soggy or oily. Served with sour cream and fresh
guac.

Speaking of which, those of you who said the worchestershire in the old
Chili's guac recipe was a poor substitute for fresh garlic were SOOO right.
I don't even know why I kept making guac that way, just habit I guess. This
time I used garlic and it was GREAT. Thanks.

(And I did remove the *&%ing quesadilla from the pan before cutting into
wedges.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:59:20 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>The first time I tried it they were not crisp, yet nearly burnt on one side.
>I used too much oil and too high heat, I think.

I never use oil - just a dry pan, turn the tortilla once before
filling to heat.... but I'm not looking for crisp either.

>The second time I got the pan nice and hot then put just maybe two drops of
>olive oil in, let IT get hot and put the flour tortilla in with
>garlicky-spicy shredded beef, a dab of refried, chiles, and cheese spread
>evenly. Topped with another tortilla, turned the heat to medium and left it
>for maybe, three minutes. Peeked and we had brownage, not soggy! Flipped it,
>did the other side for the same length of time and they were very nice.
>Light, a bit crispy, not soggy or oily. Served with sour cream and fresh
>guac.

Good. You figured out how to make them the way you like.

(And I did remove the *&%ing quesadilla from the pan before cutting
into wedges.)

So, how did you scratch it the pan? Did you use a metal spatula?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" <.> wrote
> So, how did you scratch it the pan? Did you use a metal spatula?

I used another of the new pans yesterday and scratched it by using ...
(duhhh!) a PIZZA cutter! It was the smaller of my two new skillets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> The first time I tried it they were not crisp, yet nearly burnt on one
> side. I used too much oil and too high heat, I think.
>
> The second time I got the pan nice and hot then put just maybe two drops
> of olive oil in, let IT get hot and put the flour tortilla in with
> garlicky-spicy shredded beef, a dab of refried, chiles, and cheese spread
> evenly. Topped with another tortilla, turned the heat to medium and left
> it for maybe, three minutes. Peeked and we had brownage, not soggy!
> Flipped it, did the other side for the same length of time and they were
> very nice. Light, a bit crispy, not soggy or oily. Served with sour cream
> and fresh guac.

I don't use any oil or anything in the pan. I have Technique fry pans given
to me from my mom. They are heavy and everything so far cooks up perfectly
and they don't burn when you let them get dry hot before cooking something.
And you can put them in a hot oven if you need to.

> (And I did remove the *&%ing quesadilla from the pan before cutting into
> wedges.)

Good job. lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> I don't use any oil or anything in the pan. I have Technique fry pans given
> to me from my mom. They are heavy and everything so far cooks up perfectly
> and they don't burn when you let them get dry hot before cooking something.
> And you can put them in a hot oven if you need to.
> >
> > (And I did remove the *&%ing quesadilla from the pan before cutting into
> > wedges.)

> Good job. lol

imo, the best way to make quesadillas is to heat up a cast iron frying
pan, (no oil, grease, etc. in the pan) throw a tortilla in it to heat
up, takes about 60 seconds more or less, turn it over to brown both
sides; when the second side is brown add the cheese and let it melt.
once the cheese is melted, then put the second tortilla on top of the
cheese, then flip it over to brown the top. for a different taste,
just before putting the second tortilla on top, sprinkle a small
amount of zatar (middle eastern spice mix) on top of the cheese.

harriet & critters in azusa...where at 10:00 AM the temp was 85f.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cyberscratch bawls:

> "sf" <.> wrote
> > So, how did you scratch it the pan? Did you use a metal spatula?

> I used another of the new pans yesterday and scratched it by using ...
> (duhhh!) a PIZZA cutter! It was the smaller of my two new skillets.

Since you were bragging about how cheap they were why are you
blubbering...with the level of your cooking "skillz" you'd best resort to
cooking everything on disposable aluminum pie plates...

<snickaire>

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:

> The second time I got the pan nice and hot then put just maybe two drops of
> olive oil in, let IT get hot and put the flour tortilla in with
> garlicky-spicy shredded beef, a dab of refried, chiles, and cheese spread
> evenly. Topped with another tortilla, turned the heat to medium and left it
> for maybe, three minutes. Peeked and we had brownage, not soggy! Flipped it,
> did the other side for the same length of time and they were very nice.
> Light, a bit crispy, not soggy or oily. Served with sour cream and fresh
> guac.

I use a little bit of butter to fry my quesadillas. They're
basically grilled cheese (and whatever) sandwiches, right? The
butter (about a ts each side) makes them nice and evenly crispy and
a little buttery.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 14:45:19 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>cybercat > wrote:
>
>> The second time I got the pan nice and hot then put just maybe two drops of
>> olive oil in,

>I use a little bit of butter to fry my quesadillas. They're
>basically grilled cheese (and whatever) sandwiches, right? The
>butter (about a ts each side) makes them nice and evenly crispy and
>a little buttery.
>
>-sw

If I use any fat at all, I like a pork based fat, such as lard or
bacon fat. I like the flavor it adds.

I started doing this after I had quesadillas at one of the festivals
in Las Cruces. They had this enormous griddles on which they cooked
them. And they used Asadero cheese and Hatch green chiles. Oh my.
They were sublime.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> cybercat > wrote:
>
>> The second time I got the pan nice and hot then put just maybe two drops of
>> olive oil in, let IT get hot and put the flour tortilla in with
>> garlicky-spicy shredded beef, a dab of refried, chiles, and cheese spread
>> evenly. Topped with another tortilla, turned the heat to medium and left it
>> for maybe, three minutes. Peeked and we had brownage, not soggy! Flipped it,
>> did the other side for the same length of time and they were very nice.
>> Light, a bit crispy, not soggy or oily. Served with sour cream and fresh
>> guac.

> I use a little bit of butter to fry my quesadillas. They're
> basically grilled cheese (and whatever) sandwiches, right? The
> butter (about a ts each side) makes them nice and evenly crispy and
> a little buttery.

I use butter, too. I think the flavor is so much better.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> cybercat > wrote:
>>
>>> The second time I got the pan nice and hot then put just maybe two drops
>>> of olive oil in, let IT get hot and put the flour tortilla in with
>>> garlicky-spicy shredded beef, a dab of refried, chiles, and cheese
>>> spread evenly. Topped with another tortilla, turned the heat to medium
>>> and left it for maybe, three minutes. Peeked and we had brownage, not
>>> soggy! Flipped it, did the other side for the same length of time and
>>> they were very nice. Light, a bit crispy, not soggy or oily. Served with
>>> sour cream and fresh guac.

>> I use a little bit of butter to fry my quesadillas. They're
>> basically grilled cheese (and whatever) sandwiches, right? The
>> butter (about a ts each side) makes them nice and evenly crispy and
>> a little buttery.
>>

> I use butter, too. I think the flavor is so much better.

I like butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> I use a little bit of butter to fry my quesadillas. They're
>>> basically grilled cheese (and whatever) sandwiches, right? The
>>> butter (about a ts each side) makes them nice and evenly crispy and
>>> a little buttery.

>> I use butter, too. I think the flavor is so much better.
>>

> I like butter.

This reminded me of the line in the movie "Idiocracy" when Dax
Shepard ("Frito Pendejo", the lawyer) says, "I like money".

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> cybercat > wrote:

>>> I use butter, too. I think the flavor is so much better.
>>>

>> I like butter.

> This reminded me of the line in the movie "Idiocracy" when Dax
> Shepard ("Frito Pendejo", the lawyer) says, "I like money".

heh

I remember that.

Just got home, and am really tired tonight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat said...

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I use a little bit of butter to fry my quesadillas. They're
>>> basically grilled cheese (and whatever) sandwiches, right? The
>>> butter (about a ts each side) makes them nice and evenly crispy and
>>> a little buttery.
>>>

>> I use butter, too. I think the flavor is so much better.
>>

> I like butter.

For any kind of real tasting food, it's gotta be butter!

Andy
Unsalted
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> cybercat > wrote:
>>
>>> I like butter.

>> This reminded me of the line in the movie "Idiocracy" when Dax
>> Shepard ("Frito Pendejo", the lawyer) says, "I like money".

> heh
>
> I remember that.
>
> Just got home, and am really tired tonight.

Yeah - you didn't sound up to normal speed with that post.
I'm glad you got the reference, and saw the humor
in it :-)

-sw