Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wegmans trip today

We went to Wegmans today. I know some of you think it is just another
grocery store, but most everything we bought is not available at the
four supermarkets within 20 miles of me.

Bread. . . we bought a Sicilian braided bread and they had four other
types of Italian bread. As well as two French and a dozen others.

Seafood: I never see oysters in our markets, but Wegmans had 7 types to
choose from. Whole Bronzini and a dozen others not in our stores. Ahi
tuna was $30 a pound..

Meats. . . I splurged and bought a small piece of Wagyu beef at a
ridiculous price. That we'll have along with veal chops for dinner
tomorrow.

It will probably be a couple of months before we get back, but it is fun
getting some special treats.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
news
> We went to Wegmans today. I know some of you think it is just another
> grocery store, but most everything we bought is not available at the four
> supermarkets within 20 miles of me.
>
> Bread. . . we bought a Sicilian braided bread and they had four other
> types of Italian bread. As well as two French and a dozen others.
>
> Seafood: I never see oysters in our markets, but Wegmans had 7 types to
> choose from. Whole Bronzini and a dozen others not in our stores. Ahi
> tuna was $30 a pound..
>
> Meats. . . I splurged and bought a small piece of Wagyu beef at a
> ridiculous price. That we'll have along with veal chops for dinner
> tomorrow.
>
> It will probably be a couple of months before we get back, but it is fun
> getting some special treats.

I have heard nothing but good things about Wegmans. Sadly we have none
here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 21:53:13 -0800, The Other Guy
> wrote:

>And I'd LOVE to try wagyu beef, but don't expect it would
>be anything I could possibly afford.

Well, don't buy the 9 pound roast. They had two small strip steaks
sitting in the counter tempting me. It was just over 5 ounces and
cost $20.

I'm going to sear it in a hot cast iron pan with salt and pepper. It
is just a little appetizer for the two of us, but now I'll know what
it is like.

I'm at the point in life that I look for the nice little treats, not
at the prices. I'm semi retired and don't work on Wednesdays. That
day is set aside to do fun things, such at eating at the nicer
restaurants. Yesterday, it was a splurge day at Wegmans. It comes
out of my kids inheritance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/22/2015 3:42 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:

> Also, as he points out, there are some
> prohibitively highly priced items (bay scallops at $28/lb, $14/lb at Market
> Basket), but if you shop carefully, you can find things at decent prices,
> like bone-in rib roast at $9.99. And the two Wegmans in eastern
> Massachusetts both have very nicely stocked craft beer sections.

I went to the one in Northborough. After leaving Wegmans I went across
to BJ's for a few more things. On the weekend, it is very crowded there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-22, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> It will probably be a couple of months before we get back, but it is fun
> getting some special treats.

Sounds like big fun, Ed.

With gas prices dropping, I may make a trip to the big city. It was
tough moving from SFBA plenty to remote Rockies scarcity. I miss
those kinda shopping trips.

Enjoy =)

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 11:22:54 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> We went to Wegmans today. I know some of you think it is just another
> grocery store, but most everything we bought is not available at the
> four supermarkets within 20 miles of me.
>
> Bread. . . we bought a Sicilian braided bread and they had four other
> types of Italian bread. As well as two French and a dozen others.
>
> Seafood: I never see oysters in our markets, but Wegmans had 7 types to
> choose from. Whole Bronzini and a dozen others not in our stores. Ahi
> tuna was $30 a pound..
>
> Meats. . . I splurged and bought a small piece of Wagyu beef at a
> ridiculous price. That we'll have along with veal chops for dinner
> tomorrow.
>
> It will probably be a couple of months before we get back, but it is fun
> getting some special treats.

Sounds like some yummy choices! Alas, the nearest Wegmens to me is over 5 hours away. That said, we have quite a few good shopping choices within 20 miles of us.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 10:50:05 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-01-22, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> > It will probably be a couple of months before we get back, but it is fun
> > getting some special treats.

> Sounds like big fun, Ed.
>
> With gas prices dropping, I may make a trip to the big city. It was
> tough moving from SFBA plenty to remote Rockies scarcity. I miss
> those kinda shopping trips.
>
> Enjoy =)
>
> nb

Hi notbob! It's good to see you're still playing on r.f.c.!

Cyndi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 11:22:54 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> We went to Wegmans today. I know some of you think it is just another
> grocery store, but most everything we bought is not available at the
> four supermarkets within 20 miles of me.

I have one 2-3 miles away in Wilkes Barre PA.
If you go without a plan and do every isle, you will be broke from 'I just have to try this' syndrome.
If I want something special, they will have it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 06:00:57 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 21:53:13 -0800, The Other Guy
> wrote:
>

>>And I'd LOVE to try wagyu beef, but don't expect it would
>>be anything I could possibly afford.
>>

>Well, don't buy the 9 pound roast. They had two small strip steaks
>sitting in the counter tempting me. It was just over 5 ounces and
>cost $20.
>
>I'm going to sear it in a hot cast iron pan with salt and pepper. It
>is just a little appetizer for the two of us, but now I'll know what
>it is like.
>
>I'm at the point in life that I look for the nice little treats, not
>at the prices. I'm semi retired and don't work on Wednesdays. That
>day is set aside to do fun things, such at eating at the nicer
>restaurants. Yesterday, it was a splurge day at Wegmans. It comes
>out of my kids inheritance.

No Wegmans here but today I got a care package from:
http://northshorefarms.com/
Got sopressata, genoa, six loaves of semolina bread from an Italian
Brooklyn bakery, and a dozen *real* Kaiser rolls from a Brooklyn
Jewish bakery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 11:22:54 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> We went to Wegmans today. I know some of you think it is just another
> grocery store, but most everything we bought is not available at the
> four supermarkets within 20 miles of me.
>
> Seafood: I never see oysters in our markets, but Wegmans had 7 types to

You must live in an affluent area to support that kind of a store. I am floored by 7 types of oysters. Lucky you. Do your kids know you are eating up their inheritance?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 11:13:57 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> news
> > We went to Wegmans today. I know some of you think it is just another
> > grocery store, but most everything we bought is not available at the four
> > supermarkets within 20 miles of me.
> >
> > Bread. . . we bought a Sicilian braided bread and they had four other
> > types of Italian bread. As well as two French and a dozen others.
> >
> > Seafood: I never see oysters in our markets, but Wegmans had 7 types to
> > choose from. Whole Bronzini and a dozen others not in our stores. Ahi
> > tuna was $30 a pound..
> >
> > Meats. . . I splurged and bought a small piece of Wagyu beef at a
> > ridiculous price. That we'll have along with veal chops for dinner
> > tomorrow.
> >
> > It will probably be a couple of months before we get back, but it is fun
> > getting some special treats.

> I have heard nothing but good things about Wegmans. Sadly we have none
> here.

Good. I hope to never have one of your shit reviews ever again. Troll.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 11:53:22 PM UTC-6, The Other Guy wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 21:13:25 -0800, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>
> >I have heard nothing but good things about Wegmans. Sadly we have none
> >here.

> Same here, none anywhere near the west coast.
>
> And I'd LOVE to try wagyu beef, but don't expect it would
> be anything I could possibly afford.

It is beef, as we used to have beef in the past, what is so special about it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/21/2015 10:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> We went to Wegmans today. I know some of you think it is just another
> grocery store, but most everything we bought is not available at the
> four supermarkets within 20 miles of me.
>
> Bread. . . we bought a Sicilian braided bread and they had four other
> types of Italian bread. As well as two French and a dozen others.
>
> Seafood: I never see oysters in our markets, but Wegmans had 7 types to
> choose from. Whole Bronzini and a dozen others not in our stores. Ahi
> tuna was $30 a pound..
>
> Meats. . . I splurged and bought a small piece of Wagyu beef at a
> ridiculous price. That we'll have along with veal chops for dinner
> tomorrow.
>
> It will probably be a couple of months before we get back, but it is fun
> getting some special treats.

Wegmans is the only thing in New Jersey I wish we had here.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 16:49:09 -0600, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 1/21/2015 10:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> We went to Wegmans today. I know some of you think it is just another
>> grocery store, but most everything we bought is not available at the
>> four supermarkets within 20 miles of me.
>>
>> Bread. . . we bought a Sicilian braided bread and they had four other
>> types of Italian bread. As well as two French and a dozen others.
>>
>> Seafood: I never see oysters in our markets, but Wegmans had 7 types to
>> choose from. Whole Bronzini and a dozen others not in our stores. Ahi
>> tuna was $30 a pound..
>>
>> Meats. . . I splurged and bought a small piece of Wagyu beef at a
>> ridiculous price. That we'll have along with veal chops for dinner
>> tomorrow.
>>
>> It will probably be a couple of months before we get back, but it is fun
>> getting some special treats.

>Wegmans is the only thing in New Jersey I wish we had here.

I will gladly bottle up Chris Christie and send him to Texas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/22/2015 4:49 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 1/21/2015 10:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> We went to Wegmans today. I know some of you think it is just another
>> grocery store, but most everything we bought is not available at the
>> four supermarkets within 20 miles of me.

(snip)

>> It will probably be a couple of months before we get back, but it is fun
>> getting some special treats.

> Wegmans is the only thing in New Jersey I wish we had here.

I had never been to a Wegmans before until last August when I shopped at
the Wegmans in Fredericksburg, Virginia. All I could think was,
"WOWZERS!" and pull up my jaw, which had dropped a few inches! What a
'store', and it is so much more than "just" a grocery store! I look
forward to shopping there again. Alas, my wallet won't be too happy, heheh.

I've been told there is a really fancy Wegmans someplace around
Alexandria VA or the DC Area (???) which is three-stories tall, or
something like that. Somehow, I think a person would need all-day or
longer to really 'shop' that location! Maybe I'll get a chance to
experience that Wegman's store in the near future when/if I again visit
the area.

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/01/2015 9:42 AM, Miss Kitty wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 11:13:57 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> We went to Wegmans today. I know some of you think it is just another
>>> grocery store, but most everything we bought is not available at the four
>>> supermarkets within 20 miles of me.
>>>
>>> Bread. . . we bought a Sicilian braided bread and they had four other
>>> types of Italian bread. As well as two French and a dozen others.
>>>
>>> Seafood: I never see oysters in our markets, but Wegmans had 7 types to
>>> choose from. Whole Bronzini and a dozen others not in our stores. Ahi
>>> tuna was $30 a pound..
>>>
>>> Meats. . . I splurged and bought a small piece of Wagyu beef at a
>>> ridiculous price. That we'll have along with veal chops for dinner
>>> tomorrow.
>>>
>>> It will probably be a couple of months before we get back, but it is fun
>>> getting some special treats.

>> I have heard nothing but good things about Wegmans. Sadly we have none
>> here.

> Good. I hope to never have one of your shit reviews ever again. Troll.

Have you ever considered a nym change? "Catty" would be a good fit!

--

Xeno.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/22/2015 5:25 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 16:49:09 -0600, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>

>> Wegmans is the only thing in New Jersey I wish we had here.

> I will gladly bottle up Chris Christie and send him to Texas.

That would take a really large bottle and a large postage expense. <g>
--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 08:57:48 -0600, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 1/22/2015 5:25 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 16:49:09 -0600, Janet Wilder >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Wegmans is the only thing in New Jersey I wish we had here.

>> I will gladly bottle up Chris Christie and send him to Texas.
>>

>That would take a really large bottle and a large postage expense. <g>

We still have Wheaton Village and I bet I could get a GoFundMe set up
to overflowing very quickly <BG>.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> Wegmans is the only thing in New Jersey I wish we had here.

>> I will gladly bottle up Chris Christie and send him to Texas.

>That would take a really large bottle and a large postage expense. <g>

I don't think it would be a problem to send Chris Christie, just wait
for the right wind and untether that hot air balloon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2015 9:57 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 08:57:48 -0600, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/22/2015 5:25 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> I will gladly bottle up Chris Christie and send him to Texas.
>>>

>> That would take a really large bottle and a large postage expense. <g>

> We still have Wheaton Village and I bet I could get a GoFundMe set up
> to overflowing very quickly <BG>.

I love Wheaton Village. Haven't been there for ages, but they have a
wonderful collection of utilitarian glass objects in their museum. It
would sure take a lot of wind to blow a glass big enough to pack your
governor in. <g>

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 13:28:47 -0600, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 1/23/2015 9:57 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 08:57:48 -0600, Janet Wilder >
>> wrote:

>>> That would take a really large bottle and a large postage expense. <g>

>> We still have Wheaton Village and I bet I could get a GoFundMe set up
>> to overflowing very quickly <BG>.
>>

>I love Wheaton Village. Haven't been there for ages, but they have a
>wonderful collection of utilitarian glass objects in their museum. It
>would sure take a lot of wind to blow a glass big enough to pack your
>governor in. <g>

I'd say that the gasbag could provide all the wind necessary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/22/2015 3:42 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>
>> Also, as he points out, there are some
>> prohibitively highly priced items (bay scallops at $28/lb, $14/lb at
>> Market
>> Basket), but if you shop carefully, you can find things at decent prices,
>> like bone-in rib roast at $9.99. And the two Wegmans in eastern
>> Massachusetts both have very nicely stocked craft beer sections.
>>

> I went to the one in Northborough. After leaving Wegmans I went across
> to BJ's for a few more things. On the weekend, it is very crowded there.

Ok. There's the answer. No need to respond to my question. I never
made my way to the Northborough Wegman's, and it took quite a while for
me to go to the much-closer Burlington one. I have been too busy (which
also explains my absence from RFC).