Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wegmans coming to town!

This morning's Fox news had a talking head over at a new Wegmans
somewhere in New Jersey.

Big deal I thought. Get lost in their maze. I drove about an hour to one
once. Came away with a few pounds of skirt steaks.

The talking head then mentioned the next Wegmans would open in
Wallingford, PA, two towns from me!

Now I'm all excited and shit!!!

How fickle of me.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> This morning's Fox news had a talking head over at a new Wegmans
> somewhere in New Jersey.
>
> Big deal I thought. Get lost in their maze. I drove about an hour to one
> once. Came away with a few pounds of skirt steaks.
>
> The talking head then mentioned the next Wegmans would open in
> Wallingford, PA, two towns from me!
>
> Now I'm all excited and shit!!!
>
> How fickle of me.
>
> Andy

A Wegman's in Allentown and one in Bethlehem are fairly near to me. They
are nice if you need stuff you can't find anywhere else, as they carry a LOT
of imported stuff. HOWEVER.......if you are doing a regular grocery shop,
they are NOT the place if you are on a budget of any kind. Watch the ads
in the Inkie, as sometimes they offer really good deals on meats as a loss
leader (to get you in the store). If you have a relatively good resistance,
go buy the sale items and leave, you are ahead of the game. Me, however,
usually check my resistance at the door. I may buy $50 worth of the sale
items, but another $50 of impulse shopping. they also have a decent
affordable food court (definitely EAT before you start shopping - either at
home or at the food court). Ours also have a little newsstand with papers
from all over available.
-ginny
(who must now pick up Thurs. Inkie, as they moved the food section from Wed.
to Thurs.)
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> This morning's Fox news had a talking head over at a new Wegmans
> somewhere in New Jersey.
>
> Big deal I thought. Get lost in their maze. I drove about an hour to one
> once. Came away with a few pounds of skirt steaks.
>
> The talking head then mentioned the next Wegmans would open in
> Wallingford, PA, two towns from me!
>
> Now I'm all excited and shit!!!
>
> How fickle of me.
>
> Andy

You're so funny, Andy. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> A Wegman's in Allentown and one in Bethlehem are fairly near to me. They
> are nice if you need stuff you can't find anywhere else, as they carry a LOT
> of imported stuff. HOWEVER.......if you are doing a regular grocery shop,
> they are NOT the place if you are on a budget of any kind. Watch the ads
> in the Inkie, as sometimes they offer really good deals on meats as a loss
> leader (to get you in the store). If you have a relatively good resistance,
> go buy the sale items and leave, you are ahead of the game. Me, however,
> usually check my resistance at the door. I may buy $50 worth of the sale
> items, but another $50 of impulse shopping. they also have a decent
> affordable food court (definitely EAT before you start shopping - either at
> home or at the food court). Ours also have a little newsstand with papers
> from all over available.
> -ginny
> (who must now pick up Thurs. Inkie, as they moved the food section from Wed.
> to Thurs.)
> -ginny

Good advice, they are good at knowing how to work people. The usual deal
is they put crates of produce offered as a loss leader right at the
entrance. People get all cranked up buying 5 ears of corn for a $1 that
the common sense gets turned off and they don't look at the other prices.

We usually shop at a large Italian market about 1/2 mile from Wegmans.
Produce at the Italian market is 60% of the price of Wegmans. Meats are
80% of the price.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in news:MVxmg.24590
:

> You're so funny, Andy. :~)
>
> kili

kili,

I yam what I yam!

Thanks,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> This morning's Fox news had a talking head over at a new Wegmans
> somewhere in New Jersey.
>
> Big deal I thought. Get lost in their maze. I drove about an hour to one
> once. Came away with a few pounds of skirt steaks.

My issue with Wegmans is that they seem to be so over-the-top popular
that you cannot even push a cart down an aisle. At least the ones I've
been to in MD and VA. Since they are 30 - 45 minutes away from where I
live, I've only visited on weekends, which could account for some of
the madding crowd. I end up parking my cart in a few strategic
locations, and trot back and forth to deposit items. Not my idea of a
good time. I've found their produce to be inconsistent -- sometimes
you find a great selection, sometimes not. Their meat and seafoods
always look good, though.

Sandy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in news:1150993516.561499.68330
@r2g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Andy wrote:
>> This morning's Fox news had a talking head over at a new Wegmans
>> somewhere in New Jersey.
>>
>> Big deal I thought. Get lost in their maze. I drove about an hour to

one
>> once. Came away with a few pounds of skirt steaks.
>>

> My issue with Wegmans is that they seem to be so over-the-top popular
> that you cannot even push a cart down an aisle. At least the ones I've
> been to in MD and VA. Since they are 30 - 45 minutes away from where I
> live, I've only visited on weekends, which could account for some of
> the madding crowd. I end up parking my cart in a few strategic
> locations, and trot back and forth to deposit items. Not my idea of a
> good time. I've found their produce to be inconsistent -- sometimes
> you find a great selection, sometimes not. Their meat and seafoods
> always look good, though.
>
> Sandy

Sandy,

I agree. I went straight to the vegetable section to inspect their
avocados and they were pretty much rotten! I forget the price, which
probably explains why. I gave up on the veggie area. I have three produce
stands with cheaper/fresher produce nearby.

I stopped at a "gourmet" cheese/exotics octagon and saw a tag for
truffles but couldn't find any and neither could the clerk. *sigh*

I really don't know how a Wegmans will affect me in the wallet (for my
needs) but it will definitely impact the sleepy little town of
Wallingford!!! It's going to be a traffic nightmare if according to the
talking head, it really happens.

All the best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> I stopped at a "gourmet" cheese/exotics octagon and saw a tag for
> truffles but couldn't find any and neither could the clerk. *sigh*

The Wegmans I've been to store their fresh truffles in the produce
section, in a locked, clear plexiglass box. They are stored nestled in
white rice, I think. Like $900 a lb. if I recall.

>I really don't know how a Wegmans will affect me in the wallet

Stay away from the truffles!! ;-)

Sandy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Hal Hal is offline

Sandy wrote:

>Andy wrote:

>>I stopped at a "gourmet" cheese/exotics
>> octagon and saw a tag for truffles but
>> couldn't find any and neither could the
>> clerk. *sigh*

There are jarred truffles in the speciality cheese chill case along with
Russian caviar.

>The Wegmans I've been to store their
> fresh truffles in the produce section, in a
> locked, clear plexiglass box. They are
> stored nestled in white rice, I think. Like
> $900 a lb. if I recall.

In my Wegmans in Downingtown Pa the truffels are also there, along with
the other "exotic" mushrooms. They are $300 a pound (at least a week or
so ago). The first time I bought them I got the produce guy because of
the "lock". He just lifted the lid (no key used), took out the one I
wanted along with a small scoop of rice, packaged it with the rice and a
small piece if lettuce, bagged it and priced it. OMG, 300 bucks a pound
for rice and lettuce that I threw away. Now I just lift the lid and take
the trullle I want, sans rice, bag and price it myself. A smal truffle
to add to something for 1 or 2 persons is about 5 bucks, not too bad.

>I really don't know how a Wegmans will
> affect me in the wallet

The cheese, meat and seafood dept's are realy good , but, yes a little
pricey.

>Stay away from the truffles!! ;-)

NON NON

>Sandy

Hal

DOGS RULE

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> This morning's Fox news had a talking head over at a new Wegmans
> somewhere in New Jersey.
>
> Big deal I thought. Get lost in their maze. I drove about an hour to one
> once. Came away with a few pounds of skirt steaks.
>
> The talking head then mentioned the next Wegmans would open in
> Wallingford, PA, two towns from me!
>
> Now I'm all excited and shit!!!
>
> How fickle of me.

I live near the Wegman's the opened in Cherry Hill, NJ two weeks ago. In
fact, that store is a modest bike ride from where I live and no more
than a five minute drive.

Wegman's is what supermarkets should all strive to be. I have shopped at
other Wegman's stores before and they all appear to be run with the same
customer-focused strategy.

The store near me is HUGE, but very easy to navigate and get into and
out of for those who are in a hurry. The produce section has a mind
boggling selection of organic and regular fresh produce with a selection
that far exceeds any of the competitors in this area. Plus everything is
such high quality. I went shopping there four times and each time, every
tomato I saw in the beefsteak tomato bin was acceptable. I did not have
to rummage through any of the produce bins to avoid defective items.
What a nice treat that was!

Wegman's is known for its huge selection of prepared and pre-cooked
foods, but it has a huge selection in every classification of foods. For
example, the Wegman's low fat bacon is wonderful and 1/3 the calories
and salt of regular bacon, but with excellent bacon flavor and a very
reasonable price.

There's a huge food court area where people can buy pre-cooked items
such as pizza, breads, soups, sandwiches, etc. The bread and pastries
are baked there. They have a section that's like a NYC style buffet
where you can pick from at least 20 hot dishes and pay by how much your
food weighs. There's a second floor where people can go and eat their
food and relax. This area has comfortable tables and chairs, including
several sofas and coffee tables where people can go and sit casually and
relax while eating their lunch or dinner. The prices for regular
groceries are very competitive, but the prices for the cooked foods are
a bit steep, but the quality is impressive, as is the selection.

I had a day off work on Monday, so I went to Wegman's for lunch. I ended
up getting a quarter pound of their tuna salad, a fresh rye roll with
caraway seed, and a drink and I ate it at home. My lunch was fantastic!

They also sell very inexpensive turkey thighs that provided me with an
excellent dinner. One morning for breakfast, I had a Wegman's
pumpernickel bagel with some low fat Wegman's cream cheese and some
sliced nova lox that I also bought there.

Wegman's offers a full range of name brand products, but I am trying
their store brand products. The Wegman's pickle spears are great too.

Unlike Sandy's and Andy's experience at Wegman's, I have not found the
store near me too crowded at all. I avoided the store on opening day.
The second day that the Wegman's near me was opened, I stopped by around
5:00pm after work and I had no problem with the crowds. The store was
packed and yet I had plenty of room to walk through the store to explore
it and when I went to check out, I was finished in two or three minutes,
tops.

What's weird about the Wegman's near me is the parking lot. This parking
lot is shared by the other stores in the same strip mall, most of which
are still under construction. For some reason, the Cherry Hill Township
police department has decided to put up speed traps IN the parking lot.
As I drove through the parking lot from the end opposite of where the
Wegman's is located, I found one cop hiding by the entrance, another one
about midway to the Wegman's, and a third hiding off to the side of the
Wegman's. On a different visit, I saw a cop with its emergency lights
blinking while it was parked outside the Best Buy that is still under
construction and which looks like it won't open until at least November.
There's a ShopRite less than half a mile away on the same tract of land
that opened a few years ago in another strip mall and I don't recall
ever seeing cops set up speed traps there. Fortunately, I am observant
and I observe the speed limit so this did not pose a problem for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shawn Hirn > wrote in news:srhi-A91219.08030424062006
@news.giganews.com:

> Unlike Sandy's and Andy's experience at Wegman's, I have not found the
> store near me too crowded at all.

Shawn,

The Cherry Hill store is the one Fox covered!

It wasn't so much crowded, rather they didn't have discrete "rows", rather
aisles that t-boned into perpendicular ones and some semi-circular aisles,
etc. It just slowed down the shopping process.

The first thing I did was stop at the courtesy desk and ask for a map. They
had one, with the products on one side (A-Z) and aisle #s and the other
side was the store map. Took one home for plotting a future trip but never
went back.

I remember the buffet section and food court vaguely.

I'm pretty flush with food stores:

Trader Joes (2 miles)
4 ACME/Albertsons markets (2-4 miles)
Whole Foods (~15 miles)
BJ Wholesale (5 miles)
Genuardis/Safeway (5 miles)
Giant (4 miles)
Omaha-ha-ha! Steaks (4 miles)
FoodSource (8 miles)
Upcoming Wegmans (3-5? miles)
3 farmers markets (4 miles)

Never bought anything at Whole Foods. It was a failed treasure hunt to find
a recommended loaf of bread which they didn't carry.

I will certainly give Wegmans another go when they open. It's knowing where
to get what others stores don't carry. They'd be my skirt steak source for
certain.

All the best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> Never bought anything at Whole Foods. It was a failed treasure hunt to
> find
> a recommended loaf of bread which they didn't carry.

Andy, are you seriously talking about the bread I mentioned?
I bet they have it, just not in the place you looked for it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shawn Hirn wrote:

> What's weird about the Wegman's near me is the parking lot. This parking
> lot is shared by the other stores in the same strip mall, most of which
> are still under construction. For some reason, the Cherry Hill Township
> police department has decided to put up speed traps IN the parking lot.
> As I drove through the parking lot from the end opposite of where the
> Wegman's is located, I found one cop hiding by the entrance, another one
> about midway to the Wegman's, and a third hiding off to the side of the
> Wegman's. On a different visit, I saw a cop with its emergency lights
> blinking while it was parked outside the Best Buy that is still under
> construction and which looks like it won't open until at least November.
> There's a ShopRite less than half a mile away on the same tract of land
> that opened a few years ago in another strip mall and I don't recall
> ever seeing cops set up speed traps there. Fortunately, I am observant
> and I observe the speed limit so this did not pose a problem for me.

That style of construction with a shared lot seems to be the popular
method now. Unfortunately some drivers (from observation, usually
driving in their 4 ton truck) seem to be clueless about speeding in a
parking lot (I assume its the same "get out of my way I am more
important that you" mentality when they are on the highway).

Police can't patrol on private property in my state so the property
owner is left to devise methods to slow the traffic.

A local store complex opened and first they had a yellow striped zone in
front of the store, then they added signs and recently erected a maze of
curbing in an attempt to slow the speeders down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e7jfjk$8t5$1
@news.monmouth.com:

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
>> Never bought anything at Whole Foods. It was a failed treasure hunt to
>> find
>> a recommended loaf of bread which they didn't carry.

> Andy, are you seriously talking about the bread I mentioned?
> I bet they have it, just not in the place you looked for it.
>
> nancy

nancy,

Seriously, I had the bakery department manager and another employee help
me hunt for it. We found the frozen loaves but not the organic paisano
loaves.

Don't take offense. The memory just came back as I listed my food
suppliers.

I just rang up the Devon store and Ed in bakery passed me off to Mike in
groceery and they still don't carry it. Mike citing they only stock a few
frozen breads due to lack of shelf space. The BUMS!!!

Mike did suggest I call the center city Philadelphia store which he said
is one of the bigger stores but not for just a loaf of bread.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Andy, are you seriously talking about the bread I mentioned?
>> I bet they have it, just not in the place you looked for it.

> Seriously, I had the bakery department manager and another employee help
> me hunt for it. We found the frozen loaves but not the organic paisano
> loaves.
>
> Don't take offense. The memory just came back as I listed my food
> suppliers.

I'm not offended at all. I just *happen* to have a couple of
loaves in my freezer, so I dragged one out.

Worrisome to me is that if you did try it, you'd be disappointed.
Me, I love it. With copious amounts of butter.

It is Whole Foods brand Organic bake at home Paesano bread.

Where I shop it is in an open case (vertical), a not a closed door freezer
type of thing. It's along a wall by the food buffet stuff, cooked food you
buy by the pound. It's in a potato chip type of bag.

I would send you one if it was practical. If you did find it (and
you've wasted too much time already on it, and for that I apologize)
and didn't like it, I would repay you.

Whole Foods brand.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e7kih3$p5m$1
@news.monmouth.com:

> I would send you one if it was practical. If you did find it (and
> you've wasted too much time already on it, and for that I apologize)
> and didn't like it, I would repay you.
>
> Whole Foods brand.
>
> nancy

nancy,

You ARE a doll!

All the best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wegmans NOT coming to town :(

Andy wrote:

> The talking head then mentioned the next Wegmans would open in
> Wallingford, PA, two towns from me

Last Thursday's Food section in the Philadelphia Inquirer discussed
Wegman's on the front page.:

"The Rochester, N.Y.-based chain first moved beyond New York's borders
in 1993, reaching Princeton in 1999, Downingtown in 2003, and Mount
Laurel (Centerton Road) in March. The Cherry Hill store is the 71st
Wegmans, the seventh in New Jersey, and close enough to draw Center
City shoppers. Another Wegmans, the 11th in Pennsylvania, is due to
open in Warrington, Bucks County, by the end of the year. Development
of a Turnersville site has yet to be scheduled."

I also live near Wallingford, but I'm not sure if traveling all the way
to Downingtown would be worth it.