Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Where's My Wegmans?!?

Where's My Wegmans?!?

Wegmans is a northeast regional upscale megamart. They sell truffles!

They announced a future store real near me over 2 years ago but the site's
open date is listed as "yet to be determined."

Heck, Trader Joe's opened in a couple months, in town. Granted it's smaller
by comparison and they occupied existing building space.

I couldn't get a carton of ice cream home from the nearest Wegmans
(Downingtown) without it melting down on the way.

They carry great skirt steaks that I can't get in any other market that I
visit locally anyway.

I may drive by the location (I know I've said that before) and see if it's
still barnyard property or what.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> Where's My Wegmans?!?
>
> Wegmans is a northeast regional upscale megamart. They sell truffles!
>
> They announced a future store real near me over 2 years ago but the
> site's open date is listed as "yet to be determined."
>
> Heck, Trader Joe's opened in a couple months, in town. Granted it's
> smaller by comparison and they occupied existing building space.
>
> I couldn't get a carton of ice cream home from the nearest Wegmans
> (Downingtown) without it melting down on the way.
>
> They carry great skirt steaks that I can't get in any other market
> that I visit locally anyway.
>
> I may drive by the location (I know I've said that before) and see if
> it's still barnyard property or what.
>
> Andy

Drop off a shopping cart with a note saying you are the first
customer....when you drive-by the site.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus > wrote in news:Xns9AF6D8FFB57E6hahabogus@
69.16.185.250:

> Andy <q> wrote in :

<snip>

>> I may drive by the location (I know I've said that before) and see if
>> it's still barnyard property or what.
>>
>> Andy
>>

> Drop off a shopping cart with a note saying you are the first
> customer....when you drive-by the site.

I am imagining someone hurling a shopping cart from the back of a pickup
right now

Saerah
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus said...

> Andy <q> wrote in :
>
>> Where's My Wegmans?!?
>>
>> Wegmans is a northeast regional upscale megamart. They sell truffles!
>>
>> They announced a future store real near me over 2 years ago but the
>> site's open date is listed as "yet to be determined."
>>
>> Heck, Trader Joe's opened in a couple months, in town. Granted it's
>> smaller by comparison and they occupied existing building space.
>>
>> I couldn't get a carton of ice cream home from the nearest Wegmans
>> (Downingtown) without it melting down on the way.
>>
>> They carry great skirt steaks that I can't get in any other market
>> that I visit locally anyway.
>>
>> I may drive by the location (I know I've said that before) and see if
>> it's still barnyard property or what.
>>
>> Andy
>>

> Drop off a shopping cart with a note saying you are the first
> customer....when you drive-by the site.

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Where's My Wegmans?!?
>
> Wegmans is a northeast regional upscale megamart. They sell truffles!
>
> They announced a future store real near me over 2 years ago but the site's
> open date is listed as "yet to be determined."

Join the club...

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MareCat said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Where's My Wegmans?!?
>>
>> Wegmans is a northeast regional upscale megamart. They sell truffles!
>>
>> They announced a future store real near me over 2 years ago but the

site's
>> open date is listed as "yet to be determined."

> Join the club...
>
> Mary

Mary,

I'd like to, in another sense!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Where's My Wegmans?!?
>
> Wegmans is a northeast regional upscale megamart. They sell truffles!
>
> They announced a future store real near me over 2 years ago but the site's
> open date is listed as "yet to be determined."
>
> Heck, Trader Joe's opened in a couple months, in town. Granted it's smaller
> by comparison and they occupied existing building space.
>
> I couldn't get a carton of ice cream home from the nearest Wegmans
> (Downingtown) without it melting down on the way.
>
> They carry great skirt steaks that I can't get in any other market that I
> visit locally anyway.
>
> I may drive by the location (I know I've said that before) and see if it's
> still barnyard property or what.

Coincidentally, I just drove by the Wegmans construction site in Paoli a
couple of days ago. Suffice it to say, I seriously doubt they will open
any time soon, probably not for at least a year. If you are really
curious, go the http://www.wegmans.com and submit a feedback request to
ask about the opening date and progress on their new sto its supposed
to be their newest and largest store yet. When the news of a Wegmans
store opening in my area first came to light, I did exactly the same
thing and I got back a very polite response, although I honestly don't
remember what they said.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz said...

> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> Where's My Wegmans?!?
>>
>> Wegmans is a northeast regional upscale megamart. They sell truffles!
>>
>> They announced a future store real near me over 2 years ago but the
>> site's open date is listed as "yet to be determined."
>>
>> Heck, Trader Joe's opened in a couple months, in town. Granted it's
>> smaller by comparison and they occupied existing building space.
>>
>> I couldn't get a carton of ice cream home from the nearest Wegmans
>> (Downingtown) without it melting down on the way.
>>
>> They carry great skirt steaks that I can't get in any other market that
>> I visit locally anyway.
>>
>> I may drive by the location (I know I've said that before) and see if
>> it's still barnyard property or what.

> Coincidentally, I just drove by the Wegmans construction site in Paoli a
> couple of days ago. Suffice it to say, I seriously doubt they will open
> any time soon, probably not for at least a year. If you are really
> curious, go the http://www.wegmans.com and submit a feedback request to
> ask about the opening date and progress on their new sto its supposed
> to be their newest and largest store yet. When the news of a Wegmans
> store opening in my area first came to light, I did exactly the same
> thing and I got back a very polite response, although I honestly don't
> remember what they said.

Stan,

That's the location I was hoping about!!! ((

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Where's My Wegmans?!?
>
> Wegmans is a northeast regional upscale megamart. They sell truffles!
>
> They announced a future store real near me over 2 years ago but the site's
> open date is listed as "yet to be determined."
>
> Heck, Trader Joe's opened in a couple months, in town. Granted it's smaller
> by comparison and they occupied existing building space.
>
> I couldn't get a carton of ice cream home from the nearest Wegmans
> (Downingtown) without it melting down on the way.
>
> They carry great skirt steaks that I can't get in any other market that I
> visit locally anyway.
>
> I may drive by the location (I know I've said that before) and see if it's
> still barnyard property or what.
>
> Andy

Andy,

There are two in my immediate area. After the first trip to look around
we have never been back because the local family owned Italian market
has great meats and produce for a lot less money. If the only choice you
have is a super wally then it might be a good thing. The only thing I
would like is to have an Asian market locally but the population is not
high enough to sustain that.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Where's My Wegmans?!?
>>
>> Wegmans is a northeast regional upscale megamart. They sell truffles!
>>
>> They announced a future store real near me over 2 years ago but the
>> site's open date is listed as "yet to be determined."
>>
>> Heck, Trader Joe's opened in a couple months, in town. Granted it's
>> smaller by comparison and they occupied existing building space.
>>
>> I couldn't get a carton of ice cream home from the nearest Wegmans
>> (Downingtown) without it melting down on the way.
>>
>> They carry great skirt steaks that I can't get in any other market that
>> I visit locally anyway.
>>
>> I may drive by the location (I know I've said that before) and see if
>> it's still barnyard property or what.
>>
>> Andy

> Andy,
>
> There are two in my immediate area. After the first trip to look around
> we have never been back because the local family owned Italian market
> has great meats and produce for a lot less money. If the only choice you
> have is a super wally then it might be a good thing. The only thing I
> would like is to have an Asian market locally but the population is not
> high enough to sustain that.
>
> George

George,

The Wal-Mart nearest me is in the slum part o' town, miles from home I
might add.

I've never market shopped there. I did pick up some great bathroom towels,
a couple of cast iron pans and a cordless answering phone machine (on sale)
there.

Target is a notch above, if at all.

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Where's My Wegmans?!?
>
> Wegmans is a northeast regional upscale megamart. They sell truffles!
>
> They announced a future store real near me over 2 years ago but the site's
> open date is listed as "yet to be determined."
>
> Heck, Trader Joe's opened in a couple months, in town. Granted it's
> smaller
> by comparison and they occupied existing building space.
>
> I couldn't get a carton of ice cream home from the nearest Wegmans
> (Downingtown) without it melting down on the way.
>
> They carry great skirt steaks that I can't get in any other market that I
> visit locally anyway.
>
> I may drive by the location (I know I've said that before) and see if it's
> still barnyard property or what.

Per a friend involved with the project...

It's grown beyond the small project it started at when Wegmans first
announced the Great Valley site. The project has now grown into something
resembling a small town with a Townhouse community, a shopping center,
corporate buildings and Wegman's.

They had to reconfigure access, zoning, storm retention, etc.

It'll be a while yet.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zeppo_m said...

>> Where's My Wegmans?!?
>>
>> Wegmans is a northeast regional upscale megamart. They sell truffles!
>>
>> They announced a future store real near me over 2 years ago but the

site's
>> open date is listed as "yet to be determined."
>>
>> Heck, Trader Joe's opened in a couple months, in town. Granted it's
>> smaller
>> by comparison and they occupied existing building space.
>>
>> I couldn't get a carton of ice cream home from the nearest Wegmans
>> (Downingtown) without it melting down on the way.
>>
>> They carry great skirt steaks that I can't get in any other market that

>> visit locally anyway.
>>
>> I may drive by the location (I know I've said that before) and see if

it's
>> still barnyard property or what.
>>

> Per a friend involved with the project...
>
> It's grown beyond the small project it started at when Wegmans first
> announced the Great Valley site. The project has now grown into something
> resembling a small town with a Townhouse community, a shopping center,
> corporate buildings and Wegman's.
>
> They had to reconfigure access, zoning, storm retention, etc.
>
> It'll be a while yet.
>
> Jon

Jon,

Thanks, dammit!!!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 11, 8:23 am, George > wrote:

>The only thing I
> would like is to have an Asian market locally but the population is not
> high enough to sustain that.
>
> George

I wouldn't mind a full-sized Asian market in my area. After perusing
T&T in TO and 88 (Super 88?) in the Boson Metro area, I'm drooling.

We have a local grocery that's Asian, and the prices are good, but
it's so cramped and the fish are all dead.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> MareCat said...
>
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> Where's My Wegmans?!?
>>>
>>> Wegmans is a northeast regional upscale megamart. They sell truffles!
>>>
>>> They announced a future store real near me over 2 years ago but the

> site's
>>> open date is listed as "yet to be determined."

>> Join the club...
>>
>> Mary

> Mary,
>
> I'd like to, in another sense!

;p

When we moved here two years ago, we had heard that a Wegmans was opening up
soon in Columbia, MD (not far from where we live), and we were very excited
(we had been to many Wegmans locations in the past and were impressed with
them). The status of "To Be Determined" has never changed since then.
Needless to say, I'm no longer excited...

I got spoiled with all the great food markets we had in Houston, and I've
been disappointed with the supermarkets in this area--too small, too old,
not enough selection, etc.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MareCat said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> MareCat said...

>> site's
>>>
>>> Join the club...
>>>
>>> Mary

>> Mary,
>>
>> I'd like to, in another sense!

> ;p
>
> When we moved here two years ago, we had heard that a Wegmans was
> opening up soon in Columbia, MD (not far from where we live), and we
> were very excited (we had been to many Wegmans locations in the past and
> were impressed with them). The status of "To Be Determined" has never
> changed since then. Needless to say, I'm no longer excited...
>
> I got spoiled with all the great food markets we had in Houston, and
> I've been disappointed with the supermarkets in this area--too small,
> too old, not enough selection, etc.
>
> Mary

Mary,

I know, it's all my fault!!!

Sorry!

Andy

Member

hi every one
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> I wouldn't mind a full-sized Asian market in my area. After perusing
> T&T in TO and 88 (Super 88?) in the Boson Metro area, I'm drooling.
>
> We have a local grocery that's Asian, and the prices are good, but
> it's so cramped and the fish are all dead.
>
> maxine in ri

And we are going to have another Asian market in Boston's western
burbs. Of course, by the time it opens, I may be much farther
away from it--and from Penzey's.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Where's My Wegmans?!?
>
> Wegmans is a northeast regional upscale megamart. They sell truffles!
>
> They announced a future store real near me over 2 years ago but the site's
> open date is listed as "yet to be determined."
>
> Heck, Trader Joe's opened in a couple months, in town. Granted it's
> smaller
> by comparison and they occupied existing building space.
>
> I couldn't get a carton of ice cream home from the nearest Wegmans
> (Downingtown) without it melting down on the way.
>
> They carry great skirt steaks that I can't get in any other market that I
> visit locally anyway.
>
> I may drive by the location (I know I've said that before) and see if it's
> still barnyard property or what.
>
> Andy

How far can it be? How much time does it take. Get some blue ice and a
cooler. TJ'S is at least 45 miles and I have no problem getting their
frozen fruit bars back to the freezer. As a matter of fact I pack the bars
on the bottom and cover them with frozen veggies.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> Where's My Wegmans?!?
>
> Wegmans is a northeast regional upscale megamart. They sell
> truffles!

they aren't exactly a northeast chain... i'm in NH & the
closest Wegman's is in Auburn NY.
they won't open a store here because there aren't enough
local farmers to buy fresh produce from.

> They announced a future store real near me over 2 years ago
> but the site's open date is listed as "yet to be
> determined."

well, they need to find a location, get permitted, find local
suppliers...
Cabella's announced they were opening in Hooksett almost 6
years ago & they're still hammering out permits & road issues.
they *may* break ground by fall 2009...

> Heck, Trader Joe's opened in a couple months, in town.
> Granted it's smaller by comparison and they occupied
> existing building space.

that's a *much* faster way of doing things.

> I couldn't get a carton of ice cream home from the nearest
> Wegmans (Downingtown) without it melting down on the way.

i have freezer carriers. they'll hold frozen food for up to 4
hours, if they're packed full. if i'm not stocking up on
frozen stuff i'll put a few blue ice packs in before i go to
the store. styrofoam coolers, or even better the styrofoam
boxes tropical fish are shipped in, are just as good & the
fish boxes are frequently free.

> I may drive by the location (I know I've said that before)
> and see if it's still barnyard property or what.

you could write to Wegman's CS folks. they're usually good at
responding.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair