Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wegmans sets new standards for shrimp

Wegmans Sets Standards for Shrimp
http://tinyurl.com/2557ou

NY Times article:

WEGMANS has announced that it will become the first supermarket chain to
adopt strict environmental and health standards for the farmed shrimp it
will sell in its stores.

For their shrimp to be certified for the supermarket, suppliers will not be
allowed to use any antibiotics, pesticides or fungicides.

--
Dee Dee
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 23:38:44 -0400, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>Wegmans Sets Standards for Shrimp
>http://tinyurl.com/2557ou
>
>NY Times article:
>
>WEGMANS has announced that it will become the first supermarket chain to
>adopt strict environmental and health standards for the farmed shrimp it
>will sell in its stores.
>
>For their shrimp to be certified for the supermarket, suppliers will not be
>allowed to use any antibiotics, pesticides or fungicides.

Probably as effective as the ban on lead paint in kids toys.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 23:38:44 -0400, "Dee.Dee" >
> wrote:
>
>>Wegmans Sets Standards for Shrimp
>>http://tinyurl.com/2557ou
>>
>>NY Times article:
>>
>>WEGMANS has announced that it will become the first supermarket chain to
>>adopt strict environmental and health standards for the farmed shrimp it
>>will sell in its stores.
>>
>>For their shrimp to be certified for the supermarket, suppliers will not
>>be
>>allowed to use any antibiotics, pesticides or fungicides.

> Probably as effective as the ban on lead paint in kids toys.
>
> Lou

Don't be so sure. Wegman's is big enough that they can consume the entire
production capacity of some of its suppliers. Then, they call all the shots,
which includes having people on site often enough to prevent cheating. When
you've got a permanent customer and no further need for a sales staff, you
tend to behave.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:29:06 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 23:38:44 -0400, "Dee.Dee" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Wegmans Sets Standards for Shrimp
>>>http://tinyurl.com/2557ou
>>>
>>>NY Times article:
>>>
>>>WEGMANS has announced that it will become the first supermarket chain to
>>>adopt strict environmental and health standards for the farmed shrimp it
>>>will sell in its stores.
>>>
>>>For their shrimp to be certified for the supermarket, suppliers will not
>>>be
>>>allowed to use any antibiotics, pesticides or fungicides.

>> Probably as effective as the ban on lead paint in kids toys.
>>
>> Lou

>Don't be so sure. Wegman's is big enough that they can consume the entire
>production capacity of some of its suppliers. Then, they call all the shots,
>which includes having people on site often enough to prevent cheating. When
>you've got a permanent customer and no further need for a sales staff, you
>tend to behave.

They don't have people on site. You think Wegman's is bigger than the
toy companies who have had the massive recalls. Haven't you been
reading the papers?

Although sometimes the same suppliers are used for foodstuffs, very
often for this type of item, the sale goes to whatever wholesaler is
cheapest that day, who may be carrying shrimp from any number of
farmers, almost all from overseas and near impossible to monitor.

Oh...and go read up on farmed shrimp in general.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> Don't be so sure. Wegman's is big enough that they can consume the entire
> production capacity of some of its suppliers. Then, they call all the shots,
> which includes having people on site often enough to prevent cheating. When
> you've got a permanent customer and no further need for a sales staff, you
> tend to behave.

Depends, Does Wegmans allow their suppliers to make a normal profit?
That same scenario applies to outfits like Walmart but they are well
known for beating up their suppliers which leads to stuff like melamine
flavored pet food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:29:06 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Probably as effective as the ban on lead paint in kids toys.
>>>
>>> Lou

>>Don't be so sure. Wegman's is big enough that they can consume the entire
>>production capacity of some of its suppliers. Then, they call all the
>>shots,
>>which includes having people on site often enough to prevent cheating.
>>When
>>you've got a permanent customer and no further need for a sales staff, you
>>tend to behave.
>>

> They don't have people on site. You think Wegman's is bigger than the
> toy companies who have had the massive recalls. Haven't you been
> reading the papers?

No, I've never heard of the toy recalls involving China, or the lead paint
problem. I thought lead paint was good for kids.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George said...

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
>> Don't be so sure. Wegman's is big enough that they can consume the
>> entire production capacity of some of its suppliers. Then, they call
>> all the shots, which includes having people on site often enough to
>> prevent cheating. When you've got a permanent customer and no further
>> need for a sales staff, you tend to behave.
>>

> Depends, Does Wegmans allow their suppliers to make a normal profit?
> That same scenario applies to outfits like Walmart but they are well
> known for beating up their suppliers which leads to stuff like melamine
> flavored pet food.

Since Wegmans is basically a northeast chain they "might" have a better
chance of succeeding in this endeavor. Unlike the nationwide chains like
Walmart, Albertsons, etc.

One only hopes it's an ongoing effort not expiring on Christmas.

I'd be interested to know if the farms are stateside or where. China farms
the largest population of catfish in the world and we all know their track
record for safety.

Again, it sounds good in theory.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
news
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
>> Don't be so sure. Wegman's is big enough that they can consume the entire
>> production capacity of some of its suppliers. Then, they call all the
>> shots, which includes having people on site often enough to prevent
>> cheating. When you've got a permanent customer and no further need for a
>> sales staff, you tend to behave.

> Depends, Does Wegmans allow their suppliers to make a normal profit? That
> same scenario applies to outfits like Walmart but they are well known for
> beating up their suppliers which leads to stuff like melamine flavored pet
> food.

Wegman's has a pretty good reputation among its suppliers.

Also:

http://www.wegmans.com/about/pressRo...thicsAward.asp

http://www.wegmans.com/about/pressRo...00Best2007.asp

Of course, this being a newsgroup, the cited information is meaningless
because there aren't enough messages in this thread yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
news
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
>> Don't be so sure. Wegman's is big enough that they can consume the entire
>> production capacity of some of its suppliers. Then, they call all the
>> shots, which includes having people on site often enough to prevent
>> cheating. When you've got a permanent customer and no further need for a
>> sales staff, you tend to behave.

> Depends, Does Wegmans allow their suppliers to make a normal profit? That
> same scenario applies to outfits like Walmart but they are well known for
> beating up their suppliers which leads to stuff like melamine flavored pet
> food.

Hmm -- beating up ... suppliers... leads to ... melamine flavored pet food?

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" > wrote in message

> "George" > wrote in message
> news
>> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>
>>> Don't be so sure. Wegman's is big enough that they can consume the
>>> entire production capacity of some of its suppliers. Then, they call all
>>> the shots, which includes having people on site often enough to prevent
>>> cheating. When you've got a permanent customer and no further need for a
>>> sales staff, you tend to behave.

>> Depends, Does Wegmans allow their suppliers to make a normal profit? That
>> same scenario applies to outfits like Walmart but they are well known for
>> beating up their suppliers which leads to stuff like melamine flavored
>> pet food.

> Hmm -- beating up ... suppliers... leads to ... melamine flavored pet
> food?
>
> Dee Dee

Sometimes. What does it sound unlikely to you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> Hmm -- beating up ... suppliers... leads to ... melamine flavored pet food?
>
> Dee Dee

This is a well known method used by Walmart. Lets say you make "Happy
Pet" pet food and I am Walmart and account for a large proportion of
your sales. I order 1 million cases at a time and pay you $5.00/case.
The next time you mention that supplies and overhead have gone up in
cost and you need $5.10/case. I tell you that if you want to continue to
do business with me you will sell for $4.90/case. You then cut corners
maybe removing benefits from employees. The next time it is the same. I
tell you I will give you $4.75/case. So you decide to use cheaper
ingredients and adjust the formulation.

Time goes on. If you were a manufacturer of higher value goods you
probably threw your employees under the bus and moved off shore by now
but that doesn't work with low value heavy stuff such as dog food. So
the only way you can stay in business is to keep cutting corners by
buying supplies from less reputable sources which eventually leads to
scenarios such as the buyer who was looking for cheap gluten and got a
"good deal" on the low quality stuff that was doctored with melamine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:29:06 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
>> Don't be so sure. Wegman's is big enough that they can consume the entire
>> production capacity of some of its suppliers. Then, they call all the
>> shots,
>> which includes having people on site often enough to prevent cheating.
>> When
>> you've got a permanent customer and no further need for a sales staff,
>> you
>> tend to behave.

> But you're probably only selling one kind of shrimp.
>
> -sw

¿Que? Not sure I see the point.