Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mistake: Don't Do This

I bought a jar of Tostitos (Frito Lay brand) spinach dip yesterday.

Yes, I know I could make spinach dip from scratch. BTDT. Chips and dip
aren't really my thing. I was shopping, saw a jar of spinach dip and
thought hey, a little snack. I thought why not?

Allow me to tell you why not. SALT! I am not afraid of salt. But when
the first bite of something as simple as spinach dip screams SALT, um,
no thank you.

So I went to their web site. Filled out a complaint. I certainly let
them know I didn't like the product.

For my "trouble" (heh) I'll probably get some coupons for Frito Lay
products in the mail. Whatever. My point is, as consumers, if you buy
commercial products you don't like you always have the option of letting
the manufacturer know. Whether or not they address the problems is
completely beyond my control. :-D

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 12:47:04 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> I bought a jar of Tostitos (Frito Lay brand) spinach dip yesterday.
>
> Yes, I know I could make spinach dip from scratch. BTDT. Chips and dip
> aren't really my thing. I was shopping, saw a jar of spinach dip and
> thought hey, a little snack. I thought why not?
>
> Allow me to tell you why not. SALT! I am not afraid of salt. But when
> the first bite of something as simple as spinach dip screams SALT, um,
> no thank you.
>
> So I went to their web site. Filled out a complaint. I certainly let
> them know I didn't like the product.
>
> For my "trouble" (heh) I'll probably get some coupons for Frito Lay
> products in the mail. Whatever. My point is, as consumers, if you buy
> commercial products you don't like you always have the option of letting
> the manufacturer know. Whether or not they address the problems is
> completely beyond my control. :-D
>
> Jill

What did they list as thh sodium content on the label?

I went thru a comparison on teriyaki sauce this morning - the choices aren't good. I feel bad for ppl who really have to watch the salt.

A gander at stuff like Campbell soups will knock off your sodium socks, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-11 12:46 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> For my "trouble" (heh) I'll probably get some coupons for Frito Lay
> products in the mail. Whatever. My point is, as consumers, if you buy
> commercial products you don't like you always have the option of letting
> the manufacturer know. Whether or not they address the problems is
> completely beyond my control. :-D

I once complained to a jam company about getting a cherry pit in a jar
of jam, which had been a rude surprise. They sent me about a dozen
coupons for various products they make. A few years later I bought a
cream horn in a convenience store. When I bit into there was greenish
blue in the cream and I noticed a sort of fuzz on the chocolate. I
wrote a letter to the company, Vachon. About a month later there was a
package in my mailbox, a package of stale, squashed buttertarts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2015 12:58 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 12:47:04 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>> I bought a jar of Tostitos (Frito Lay brand) spinach dip yesterday.
>>
>> Yes, I know I could make spinach dip from scratch. BTDT. Chips and dip
>> aren't really my thing. I was shopping, saw a jar of spinach dip and
>> thought hey, a little snack. I thought why not?
>>
>> Allow me to tell you why not. SALT! I am not afraid of salt. But when
>> the first bite of something as simple as spinach dip screams SALT, um,
>> no thank you.
>>
>> So I went to their web site. Filled out a complaint. I certainly let
>> them know I didn't like the product.
>>
>> For my "trouble" (heh) I'll probably get some coupons for Frito Lay
>> products in the mail. Whatever. My point is, as consumers, if you buy
>> commercial products you don't like you always have the option of letting
>> the manufacturer know. Whether or not they address the problems is
>> completely beyond my control. :-D
>>
>> Jill

> What did they list as thh sodium content on the label?

I didn't read the label before I bought it. I don't buy things like
this very often. It was an impulse buy. To answer your question I dug
the jar out of the trash just for you so I could read the label. 200
mg. sodium per serving. A "serving" is apparently 2 Tbs. I couldn't
get through more than two bites, much less 2 Tbs. of this dip. The
tortilla chips weren't salted.

> I went thru a comparison on teriyaki sauce this morning - the choices aren't good. I feel bad for ppl who really have to watch the salt.

Teryaki, soy, even Worcestershire, the low salt versions don't seem to
cut it. It's all about taste. Salt adds flavour. I don't cook with a
lot of teriyaki or soy sauces but I do know the low salt sauces taste
very dull.

> A gander at stuff like Campbell soups will knock off your sodium socks, too.

That brings up a funny memory. The doctors kept telling my mother she
had to eat low sodium. My father once brought home a case (24 cans) of
Campbell's low sodium chicken noodle soup. He really thought he was
being helpful. According to her the only way they could eat it was to
dump salt in it. Tasteless dreck. But oh so healthy!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like chili cheese Fritos.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2015 3:13 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 13:37:30 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 1/11/2015 12:58 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>>
>>> What did they list as thh sodium content on the label?
>>>

>> I didn't read the label before I bought it. I don't buy things like
>> this very often. It was an impulse buy. To answer your question I dug
>> the jar out of the trash just for you so I could read the label. 200
>> mg. sodium per serving. A "serving" is apparently 2 Tbs. I couldn't
>> get through more than two bites, much less 2 Tbs. of this dip. The
>> tortilla chips weren't salted.

> According to the nutritional info the dip is .6% sodium (which means
> about .8% salt).
>
> -sw

Yep, that sounds about right. All I know is it tasted awful. Don't
waste any money on it. It's a good thing I don't have cravings for dip
and snack stuff very often.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 12:06:19 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-01-11 12:46 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > For my "trouble" (heh) I'll probably get some coupons for Frito Lay
> > products in the mail. Whatever. My point is, as consumers, if you buy
> > commercial products you don't like you always have the option of letting
> > the manufacturer know. Whether or not they address the problems is
> > completely beyond my control. :-D
> >

> I once complained to a jam company about getting a cherry pit in a jar
> of jam, which had been a rude surprise. They sent me about a dozen
> coupons for various products they make. A few years later I bought a
> cream horn in a convenience store. When I bit into there was greenish
> blue in the cream and I noticed a sort of fuzz on the chocolate. I
> wrote a letter to the company, Vachon. About a month later there was a
> package in my mailbox, a package of stale, squashed buttertarts.

Yum, yum! Years ago a Dominos (give me a break it was in the 80's and I was a teenager!) pizza had a hair in it. They rectified it with a refund and a coupon for a free pizza. I don't think I ever had a Dominos pizza ever again.

On another occasion a box of Franzia Sangria wine leaked in my refrigerator. I emailed the company and they sent me a refund and a coupon for a free box. That wasn't too shabby.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 11:34:06 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 23:14:54 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> >> According to the nutritional info the dip is .6% sodium (which means
> >> about .8% salt).
> >>

> > Yep, that sounds about right. All I know is it tasted awful. Don't
> > waste any money on it. It's a good thing I don't have cravings for dip
> > and snack stuff very often.

> Make some hummus instead. Super easy, fairly cheap, fairly healthy,
> and you can add all sorts of flavors to it. I just made my best batch
> yet: Aleppo pepper and cumin (and garlic, of course - but never
> lemon).

Now that sounds really good. I've never made hummus, I'm going to have to do it soon.

A mistake James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 26 24-11-2012 06:10 PM
A mistake Lyndon Watson General Cooking 24 23-02-2011 01:20 AM
Mistake JT Wine 0 16-04-2009 02:58 PM
pea mistake elaine General Cooking 29 21-11-2006 02:48 AM
Sad mistake! mroo philpott-smythe Asian Cooking 82 27-01-2005 03:58 AM