Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A mistake

I've just had lunch. I had a leftover roast chicken, just one side of
the breast left. I'm not all that fond of breast meat, and this one
was rather dry, so I had the bright idea of cutting it into slices
across the grain, and battering and frying it. I did so and ate it
with a rather good Greek salad.

Half-way through the meat, I just couldn't swallow any more, and now I
am beginning to feel distinctly ill on top of what my chemotherapy
makes me feel anyway. Just the though of eating anything fried is
too, too much.

Oh, got to go. . . .

LW
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lyndon Watson wrote:
> I've just had lunch. I had a leftover roast chicken, just one side of
> the breast left. I'm not all that fond of breast meat, and this one
> was rather dry, so I had the bright idea of cutting it into slices
> across the grain, and battering and frying it. I did so and ate it
> with a rather good Greek salad.
>
> Half-way through the meat, I just couldn't swallow any more, and now I
> am beginning to feel distinctly ill on top of what my chemotherapy
> makes me feel anyway. Just the though of eating anything fried is
> too, too much.
>
> Oh, got to go. . . .
>
> LW

I have found that if something seems unappealing, there may be a
tangible reason for that.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lyndon Watson" > wrote in message
> I've just had lunch. I had a leftover roast chicken, just one side of
> the breast left. I'm not all that fond of breast meat, and this one
> was rather dry, so I had the bright idea of cutting it into slices
> across the grain, and battering and frying it. I did so and ate it
> with a rather good Greek salad.
>
> Half-way through the meat, I just couldn't swallow any more, and now I
> am beginning to feel distinctly ill on top of what my chemotherapy
> makes me feel anyway. Just the though of eating anything fried is
> too, too much.
>
> Oh, got to go. . . .

Sorry to hear that. I don't have the same problem specifically that you do,
but I have never done well with fried foods. Even as a child I couldn't
manage to eat much of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 16:45:04 -0800 (PST), Lyndon Watson
> wrote:

> I've just had lunch. I had a leftover roast chicken, just one side of
> the breast left. I'm not all that fond of breast meat, and this one
> was rather dry, so I had the bright idea of cutting it into slices
> across the grain, and battering and frying it. I did so and ate it
> with a rather good Greek salad.
>
> Half-way through the meat, I just couldn't swallow any more, and now I
> am beginning to feel distinctly ill on top of what my chemotherapy
> makes me feel anyway. Just the though of eating anything fried is
> too, too much.
>
> Oh, got to go. . . .

If your Greek Salad was fine otherwise, skip the frying part next
time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 4:45*pm, Lyndon Watson > wrote:
> I've just had lunch. *I had a leftover roast chicken, just one side of
> the breast left. *I'm not all that fond of breast meat, and this one
> was rather dry,

Cube or shred and toss into a vegetable soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Lyndon Watson" > wrote in message
>
>>I've just had lunch. I had a leftover roast chicken, just one side of
>>the breast left. I'm not all that fond of breast meat, and this one
>>was rather dry, so I had the bright idea of cutting it into slices
>>across the grain, and battering and frying it. I did so and ate it
>>with a rather good Greek salad.
>>
>>Half-way through the meat, I just couldn't swallow any more, and now I
>>am beginning to feel distinctly ill on top of what my chemotherapy
>>makes me feel anyway. Just the though of eating anything fried is
>>too, too much.
>>
>>Oh, got to go. . . .

> Sorry to hear that. I don't have the same problem specifically that you do,
> but I have never done well with fried foods. Even as a child I couldn't
> manage to eat much of them.

I would live on chicken fried steak, deep fried shrimp, fried chicken &
etc. if i thought i could get way with it.

I like to egg & flour slices of veggies & shallow fry but try to limit
my intake of such foods to once or twice a month.

French toast, BLT's, fritters of various sorts, beignets, and don't even
get me started on chocolate crepes
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"M. JL Esq." > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Lyndon Watson" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I've just had lunch. I had a leftover roast chicken, just one side of
>>>the breast left. I'm not all that fond of breast meat, and this one
>>>was rather dry, so I had the bright idea of cutting it into slices
>>>across the grain, and battering and frying it. I did so and ate it
>>>with a rather good Greek salad.
>>>
>>>Half-way through the meat, I just couldn't swallow any more, and now I
>>>am beginning to feel distinctly ill on top of what my chemotherapy
>>>makes me feel anyway. Just the though of eating anything fried is
>>>too, too much.
>>>
>>>Oh, got to go. . . .

>> Sorry to hear that. I don't have the same problem specifically that you
>> do, but I have never done well with fried foods. Even as a child I
>> couldn't manage to eat much of them.

> I would live on chicken fried steak, deep fried shrimp, fried chicken &
> etc. if i thought i could get way with it.
>
> I like to egg & flour slices of veggies & shallow fry but try to limit my
> intake of such foods to once or twice a month.
>
> French toast, BLT's, fritters of various sorts, beignets, and don't even
> get me started on chocolate crepes

I like chicken fried steak but I only have it every couple of years. I did
eat deep fried okra as a child and really liked it. But the other fried
veggies I've tried, I didn't like. I like the idea of fried green beans
because I love green beans. But I've never made them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "M. JL Esq." > wrote in message
>
>>Julie Bove wrote:

>>>Sorry to hear that. I don't have the same problem specifically that you
>>>do, but I have never done well with fried foods. Even as a child I
>>>couldn't manage to eat much of them.

>>I would live on chicken fried steak, deep fried shrimp, fried chicken &
>>etc. if i thought i could get way with it.
>>
>>I like to egg & flour slices of veggies & shallow fry but try to limit my
>>intake of such foods to once or twice a month.
>>
>>French toast, BLT's, fritters of various sorts, beignets, and don't even
>>get me started on chocolate crepes

> I like chicken fried steak but I only have it every couple of years. I did
> eat deep fried okra as a child and really liked it. But the other fried
> veggies I've tried, I didn't like. I like the idea of fried green beans
> because I love green beans. But I've never made them.

I eat the bulk of my veggies raw in salads, but i do like the egged &
floured mushrooms, zucchini, onion rings & etc. i may be using the term
"fry" loosely, i like to saute asparagus in butter and garlic, same with
green beans, bok choy, cauliflower (season with lemon juice) quartered
Brussels sprouts, fried cabbage, and of course, fried potatoes.

But like you i try to limit my intake of fried foods because i
understand it is not a healthy way to eat. But i do like it

I have taken to making my fried chicken in the oven, Sauting the
breaded chicken pieces in hot oil just enough to set the coating and
then transferring to a roasting pan and putting in the oven to finish
cooking.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"M. JL Esq." > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>>I would live on chicken fried steak, deep fried shrimp, fried chicken &
>>>etc. if i thought i could get way with it.
>>>
>>>I like to egg & flour slices of veggies & shallow fry but try to limit my
>>>intake of such foods to once or twice a month.
>>>
>>>French toast, BLT's, fritters of various sorts, beignets, and don't even
>>>get me started on chocolate crepes

>> I like chicken fried steak but I only have it every couple of years. I
>> did eat deep fried okra as a child and really liked it. But the other
>> fried veggies I've tried, I didn't like. I like the idea of fried green
>> beans because I love green beans. But I've never made them.

> I eat the bulk of my veggies raw in salads, but i do like the egged &
> floured mushrooms, zucchini, onion rings & etc. i may be using the term
> "fry" loosely, i like to saute asparagus in butter and garlic, same with
> green beans, bok choy, cauliflower (season with lemon juice) quartered
> Brussels sprouts, fried cabbage, and of course, fried potatoes.
>
> But like you i try to limit my intake of fried foods because i understand
> it is not a healthy way to eat. But i do like it
>
> I have taken to making my fried chicken in the oven, Sauting the breaded
> chicken pieces in hot oil just enough to set the coating and then
> transferring to a roasting pan and putting in the oven to finish cooking.

I do mine in a skillet but without much oil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lyndon Watson wrote:

> I've just had lunch. I had a leftover roast chicken, just one side of
> the breast left. I'm not all that fond of breast meat, and this one
> was rather dry, so I had the bright idea of cutting it into slices
> across the grain, and battering and frying it. I did so and ate it
> with a rather good Greek salad.
>
> Half-way through the meat, I just couldn't swallow any more, and now I
> am beginning to feel distinctly ill on top of what my chemotherapy
> makes me feel anyway. Just the though of eating anything fried is
> too, too much.
>
> Oh, got to go. . . .

Next time skip frying and just toss it in the salad. I usually do like that,
in a EVO oil + vinegar + salt dressed salad, nothing else. Sometimes I add
some Develey salad sauce, the one that looks like mayo with small green
spots in it, probably parsley and other herbs.
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 16:45:04 -0800 (PST), Lyndon Watson
> wrote:

>I've just had lunch. I had a leftover roast chicken, just one side of
>the breast left. I'm not all that fond of breast meat, and this one
>was rather dry, so I had the bright idea of cutting it into slices
>across the grain, and battering and frying it. I did so and ate it
>with a rather good Greek salad.
>
>Half-way through the meat, I just couldn't swallow any more, and now I
>am beginning to feel distinctly ill on top of what my chemotherapy
>makes me feel anyway. Just the though of eating anything fried is
>too, too much.
>
>Oh, got to go. . . .

Enjoy the go. . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBNcQgkXEWE&NR=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 21, 7:21*pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On Feb 20, 4:45*pm, Lyndon Watson > wrote:
> > I've just had lunch. *I had a leftover roast chicken, just one side of
> > the breast left. *I'm not all that fond of breast meat, and this one
> > was rather dry,

> Cube or shred and toss into a vegetable soup.

Yes, I've done that before, but this time I fancied the salad as
well. I'll know better next time.

For anyone who's interested, I've survived today's earthquake (or I
should say the biggest of today's earthquakes) with no damage except a
smoke alarm that fell off the wall and broke. But at least dozens of
people are dead in the central city, with more to come after they've
got into a completely collapsed office building that had about 200
people in it, and dug out a couple of buses that were squashed by
falling buildings.

LW
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lyndon Watson" > wrote in message
On Feb 21, 7:21 pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On Feb 20, 4:45 pm, Lyndon Watson > wrote:
> > I've just had lunch. I had a leftover roast chicken, just one side of
> > the breast left. I'm not all that fond of breast meat, and this one
> > was rather dry,

> Cube or shred and toss into a vegetable soup.

Yes, I've done that before, but this time I fancied the salad as
well. I'll know better next time.

For anyone who's interested, I've survived today's earthquake (or I
should say the biggest of today's earthquakes) with no damage except a
smoke alarm that fell off the wall and broke. But at least dozens of
people are dead in the central city, with more to come after they've
got into a completely collapsed office building that had about 200
people in it, and dug out a couple of buses that were squashed by
falling buildings.

---
Wow! Scary stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Lyndon Watson" > wrote in message
> On Feb 21, 7:21 pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> > On Feb 20, 4:45 pm, Lyndon Watson > wrote:
> > > I've just had lunch. I had a leftover roast chicken, just one side of
> > > the breast left. I'm not all that fond of breast meat, and this one
> > > was rather dry,

> > Cube or shred and toss into a vegetable soup.

> Yes, I've done that before, but this time I fancied the salad as
> well. I'll know better next time.
>
> For anyone who's interested, I've survived today's earthquake (or I
> should say the biggest of today's earthquakes) with no damage except a
> smoke alarm that fell off the wall and broke. But at least dozens of
> people are dead in the central city, with more to come after they've
> got into a completely collapsed office building that had about 200
> people in it, and dug out a couple of buses that were squashed by
> falling buildings.
>
> ---
> Wow! Scary stuff.

Death toll is confirmed at 65, expected to rise as they dig the people
out that Lyndon mentioned.

My whole family is in Christchurch -- they're all fine, although there's
no power, water or phone in my mother's house, and extensive damage to
my sister's.

My husband is there teaching for the day. He's stranded overnight and
staying with colleagues, and will be leaving on the 8am bus.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Lyndon Watson" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Cube or shred and toss into a vegetable soup.

>> Yes, I've done that before, but this time I fancied the salad as
>> well. I'll know better next time.
>>
>> For anyone who's interested, I've survived today's earthquake (or I
>> should say the biggest of today's earthquakes) with no damage except a
>> smoke alarm that fell off the wall and broke. But at least dozens of
>> people are dead in the central city, with more to come after they've
>> got into a completely collapsed office building that had about 200
>> people in it, and dug out a couple of buses that were squashed by
>> falling buildings.
>>
>> ---
>> Wow! Scary stuff.

> Death toll is confirmed at 65, expected to rise as they dig the people
> out that Lyndon mentioned.
>
> My whole family is in Christchurch -- they're all fine, although there's
> no power, water or phone in my mother's house, and extensive damage to
> my sister's.
>
> My husband is there teaching for the day. He's stranded overnight and
> staying with colleagues, and will be leaving on the 8am bus.

I hate Mother Nature.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche > wrote in news:micheinnz-0966BA.21300522022011
@dynamic-24-42-201-193.knology.net:

@o30g2000pra.googlegroups.com...

of

>> > Cube or shred and toss into a vegetable soup.

>> Yes, I've done that before, but this time I fancied the salad as
>> well. I'll know better next time.
>>
>> For anyone who's interested, I've survived today's earthquake (or I
>> should say the biggest of today's earthquakes) with no damage except a
>> smoke alarm that fell off the wall and broke. But at least dozens of
>> people are dead in the central city, with more to come after they've
>> got into a completely collapsed office building that had about 200
>> people in it, and dug out a couple of buses that were squashed by
>> falling buildings.
>>
>> ---
>> Wow! Scary stuff.

> Death toll is confirmed at 65, expected to rise as they dig the people
> out that Lyndon mentioned.
>
> My whole family is in Christchurch -- they're all fine, although there's
> no power, water or phone in my mother's house, and extensive damage to
> my sister's.
>
> My husband is there teaching for the day. He's stranded overnight and
> staying with colleagues, and will be leaving on the 8am bus.

I've spoken to quite a few Queenslanders today, most of whom are still a
bit shell-shocked from the floods, cyclones, and continuing storms and
flooding that we are getting.... and to a person they have been 'knocked
for a six' about what is happening in Christchurch.

Seems the ANZAC's are being targetted for some 'special treatment'.

All Queenslanders thoughts are with our Tasman cousins.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

"As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends
and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who
we are.

We are Queenslanders.

We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.

We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in news:ijvv4c$t3h$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> "Miche" > wrote in message

193.knology.net...
>> In article >,
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> "Lyndon Watson" > wrote in message

@o30g2000pra.googlegroups.com...

of

one

>>> Yes, I've done that before, but this time I fancied the salad as
>>> well. I'll know better next time.
>>>
>>> For anyone who's interested, I've survived today's earthquake (or I
>>> should say the biggest of today's earthquakes) with no damage except a
>>> smoke alarm that fell off the wall and broke. But at least dozens of
>>> people are dead in the central city, with more to come after they've
>>> got into a completely collapsed office building that had about 200
>>> people in it, and dug out a couple of buses that were squashed by
>>> falling buildings.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Wow! Scary stuff.

>> Death toll is confirmed at 65, expected to rise as they dig the people
>> out that Lyndon mentioned.
>>
>> My whole family is in Christchurch -- they're all fine, although

there's
>> no power, water or phone in my mother's house, and extensive damage to
>> my sister's.
>>
>> My husband is there teaching for the day. He's stranded overnight and
>> staying with colleagues, and will be leaving on the 8am bus.

> I hate Mother Nature.

At least you called it 'Mother Nature' rather than an 'act of god'.

But yeah, I hate both the f***ers.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

"As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends
and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who
we are.

We are Queenslanders.

We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.

We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 1:16*am, Lyndon Watson > wrote:
> On Feb 21, 7:21*pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
>
> > On Feb 20, 4:45*pm, Lyndon Watson > wrote:
> > > I've just had lunch. *I had a leftover roast chicken, just one side of
> > > the breast left. *I'm not all that fond of breast meat, and this one
> > > was rather dry,

> > Cube or shred and toss into a vegetable soup.

> Yes, I've done that before, but this time I fancied the salad as
> well. *I'll know better next time.
>
> For anyone who's interested, I've survived today's earthquake (or I
> should say the biggest of today's earthquakes) with no damage except a
> smoke alarm that fell off the wall and broke. *But at least dozens of
> people are dead in the central city, with more to come after they've
> got into a completely collapsed office building that had about 200
> people in it, and dug out a couple of buses that were squashed by
> falling buildings.
>
> LW

Good to hear you're o.k. - hard to believe this is an aftershock of a
September earthquake, as the reporters are saying.....how long can
aftershocks come, anyway? One woman in that collapsed building gave
an interview with her cellphone while she was still trapped.

What was the local time of the quake? The news just said "busy part
of the workday."

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lyndon Watson wrote:
> On Feb 21, 7:21 pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
>> On Feb 20, 4:45 pm, Lyndon Watson > wrote:
>>> I've just had lunch. I had a leftover roast chicken, just one side of
>>> the breast left. I'm not all that fond of breast meat, and this one
>>> was rather dry,

>> Cube or shred and toss into a vegetable soup.

> Yes, I've done that before, but this time I fancied the salad as
> well. I'll know better next time.
>
> For anyone who's interested, I've survived today's earthquake (or I
> should say the biggest of today's earthquakes) with no damage except a
> smoke alarm that fell off the wall and broke. But at least dozens of
> people are dead in the central city, with more to come after they've
> got into a completely collapsed office building that had about 200
> people in it, and dug out a couple of buses that were squashed by
> falling buildings.
>
> LW

Ah. Thanks for the reminder that you are NZ. Horrific happening
there. My thoughts are with those of you in NZ.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 23:16:45 -0800 (PST), Lyndon Watson
> wrote:

> On Feb 21, 7:21*pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> > On Feb 20, 4:45*pm, Lyndon Watson > wrote:
> > > I've just had lunch. *I had a leftover roast chicken, just one side of
> > > the breast left. *I'm not all that fond of breast meat, and this one
> > > was rather dry,

> > Cube or shred and toss into a vegetable soup.

> Yes, I've done that before, but this time I fancied the salad as
> well. I'll know better next time.

What's wrong with chicken salad? You could make chicken soup out of
the carcass and chop up the meat to add at the last minute. You could
make a few matzo balls too. Maybe a variation of this recipe -
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/c...ipe/index.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lyndon Watson wrote:

> For anyone who's interested, I've survived today's earthquake (or I
> should say the biggest of today's earthquakes) with no damage except a
> smoke alarm that fell off the wall and broke. But at least dozens of
> people are dead in the central city, with more to come after they've
> got into a completely collapsed office building that had about 200
> people in it, and dug out a couple of buses that were squashed by
> falling buildings.

That was horrible news to wake up to. I'm really glad you're okay,
and Miche as well.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 23, 1:38*am, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> Glad you made it through OK. *I'm surprised that so many buildings went
> down--are earthquakes unexpected in that area?

In the country as a whole, no. But Christchurch had been thought to
be one of the less-earthquake-prone places. The capital, Wellington,
is right on major faults and most of its c.b.d. was raised out of the
sea in an earthquake in 1854, but Christchurch is on an alluvial plain
100 miles or so from the Alpine Fault. With the 7.3 earthquake last
September and now this 6.1 one we have discovered whole new
unsuspected fault system under the plains.

We have very advanced modern building techniques, some of which are
being copied in the U.S. and Japan, but the buildings that came down
were mainly el cheapo concrete structures from the 70s and 80s and
19th Century neo-Gothic churches and public buildings. Christchurch
was a centre of that style and they were a major tourist attraction;
most of that may now be gone.

LW
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 14:31:10 -0800 (PST), Lyndon Watson
> wrote:

> 19th Century neo-Gothic churches and public buildings. Christchurch
> was a centre of that style and they were a major tourist attraction;
> most of that may now be gone.

If they were major tourist attractions, they'll probably be rebuilt
with a modern infrastructure up to current earthquake standards.

Mistake: Don't Do This jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 9 12-01-2015 08:33 AM
A mistake James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 26 24-11-2012 06:10 PM
Mistake JT Wine 0 16-04-2009 02:58 PM
pea mistake elaine General Cooking 29 21-11-2006 02:48 AM
Sad mistake! mroo philpott-smythe Asian Cooking 82 27-01-2005 03:58 AM