Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A mistake

Yesterday, I absent mindedly bought Trader Joe's Raisin teBran Flakes.
The first spoonful made it seem that I had gotten a piece of the box and
the second was no better. Kellogg's is *much* better, despite the rather
uninformative "two scoops of raisins". I didn't know that a scoop was
any sort of measure. Even the Giant grocery store's own brand is much
better than Joe's.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/11/2012 11:25 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> Yesterday, I absent mindedly bought Trader Joe's Raisin teBran Flakes.
> The first spoonful made it seem that I had gotten a piece of the box and
> the second was no better. Kellogg's is *much* better, despite the rather
> uninformative "two scoops of raisins". I didn't know that a scoop was
> any sort of measure. Even the Giant grocery store's own brand is much
> better than Joe's.

That sounds like one I tried last year. It was billed as a healthy
cereal and it was on sale so I sought some and tried it. The taste was
okay but it had the strangest texture, like some sort of plasticized
cardboard. If I wanted to chip teeth on my cereal I would go back to
Grape Nuts. At least they soften nicely in the milk. Sorry I can't
remember the name, but when I see that blue box I keep walking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-11-20 16:25:02 +0000, James Silverton said:

> Yesterday, I absent mindedly bought Trader Joe's Raisin teBran Flakes.
> The first spoonful made it seem that I had gotten a piece of the box...

You got that right! Really impossible, that stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2012 8:23 PM, Steve Freides wrote:

> Their grass-fed New Zealand cheddar cheese is delicious, healthful, and
> a bargain -

I'm trying to picture a big wheel of cheese grazing in a New Zealand
pasture.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> > Their grass-fed New Zealand cheddar cheese is delicious, healthful, and
> > a bargain -

> I'm trying to picture a big wheel of cheese grazing in a New Zealand
> pasture.

If the image doesn't form for you, try dropping some acid first.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 11/20/2012 8:23 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> Their grass-fed New Zealand cheddar cheese is delicious, healthful, and
>> a bargain -

> I'm trying to picture a big wheel of cheese grazing in a New Zealand
> pasture.

I'm trying to picture a diary cow grazing on something other than grass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:58:02 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

>"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
b.com...
>> On 11/20/2012 8:23 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>>> Their grass-fed New Zealand cheddar cheese is delicious, healthful, and
>>> a bargain -

>> I'm trying to picture a big wheel of cheese grazing in a New Zealand
>> pasture.

>I'm trying to picture a diary cow grazing on something other than grass.

In this neck of the woods 'grass' is green, and 'hay' is brown. And
we used to brag about feeding our cattle grain.

I don't know if it is like those 'uncaged chickens' we hear about. I
wonder if giving a bovine a blade of fresh grass just before
dispatching him/her counts as 'grass fed'.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> wonder if giving a bovine a blade of fresh grass just before
> dispatching him/her counts as 'grass fed'.
>
> Jim

Ha! It probably does.

My inlaws tried raising chickens for eggs once. They came to visit and
brought some fresh eggs. They had been feeding them fish meal. My wife fried
up two of those eggs for me one morning, I took one bite and spit it out.
It tasted like spoiled fish. arrghhh@! The in-laws were surprised at my
negative reaction and probably offended by it. No matter, I couldn't eat
them.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 08:11:00 -0500, Gary > wrote:

-snip-
>My inlaws tried raising chickens for eggs once. They came to visit and
>brought some fresh eggs. They had been feeding them fish meal. My wife fried
>up two of those eggs for me one morning, I took one bite and spit it out.
>It tasted like spoiled fish. arrghhh@! The in-laws were surprised at my
>negative reaction and probably offended by it. No matter, I couldn't eat
>them.

The bug & worm flavor from free range is a lot better.<g>
[Reminds me of my favorite milk-- Cows got into an apple orchard.
1st stomach ferments the juice. Drunken cows come home to be milked.
Milk tastes slightly of hard cider. Good to a 12 yr old.]

Jim.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farm1 wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> .com...
>> On 11/20/2012 8:23 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>>> Their grass-fed New Zealand cheddar cheese is delicious, healthful,
>>> and a bargain -

>> I'm trying to picture a big wheel of cheese grazing in a New Zealand
>> pasture.

> I'm trying to picture a diary cow grazing on something other than
> grass.

You're not trying very hard - see what you find when you look up what
most dairy cows are fed - they aren't grazing on grass.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 11/20/2012 8:23 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> Their grass-fed New Zealand cheddar cheese is delicious, healthful,
>> and a bargain -

> I'm trying to picture a big wheel of cheese grazing in a New Zealand
> pasture.

Don't quit your day job.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 08:02:26 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:58:02 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> b.com...

> >> I'm trying to picture a big wheel of cheese grazing in a New Zealand
> >> pasture.

> >I'm trying to picture a diary cow grazing on something other than grass.
> >

> In this neck of the woods 'grass' is green, and 'hay' is brown. And
> we used to brag about feeding our cattle grain.

I remember those days... Kansas corn fed beef was the epitome of
goodness.

> I don't know if it is like those 'uncaged chickens' we hear about.

We have a farm up North that raises cattle and free range chickens. I
like the way they operate. The chickens are in the cow pasture and
their coop is moved every few days. This isn't the same farm, but
it's the same method.
http://www.horseandbuggyproduce.com/...res/egg-shares

> wonder if giving a bovine a blade of fresh grass just before
> dispatching him/her counts as 'grass fed'.

What's the point? They're pasture raised most of their lives and then
finished in a feed lot. If they weren't kept in such crowded,
horrible conditions for so long and fed pure grain instead of that
stuff filled with steroids and ground up cow parts, no one would be
objecting because grain finished beef is darned tasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/22/2012 12:58 AM, Farm1 wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> .com...
>> On 11/20/2012 8:23 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>>> Their grass-fed New Zealand cheddar cheese is delicious, healthful, and
>>> a bargain -

>> I'm trying to picture a big wheel of cheese grazing in a New Zealand
>> pasture.

> I'm trying to picture a diary cow grazing on something other than grass.

I did visit New Zealand a few years back, but I'd never heard of grass
fed cheese. How do you feed a cheese? It presented a queer mental image.

I'm assuming the OP meant that the cheese was produced from the milk of
grass fed cows, but that was NOT the way it was stated.

Sorry if my sense of humor offended.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 10:20*am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 08:02:26 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:58:02 +1100, "Farm1" >
> > wrote:

> > >"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> > b.com...

> > >I'm trying to picture a diary cow grazing on something other than grass.

> > In this neck of the woods 'grass' is green, and 'hay' is brown. * *And
> > we used to brag about feeding our cattle grain.

> I remember those days... Kansas corn fed beef was the epitome of
> goodness.
>

> > I don't know if it is like those 'uncaged chickens' we hear about.

> We have a farm up North that raises cattle and free range chickens. *I
> like the way they operate. *The chickens are in the cow pasture and
> their coop is moved every few days. *This isn't the same farm, but
> it's the same method.http://www.horseandbuggyproduce.com/...res/egg-shares

> > wonder if giving a bovine a blade of fresh grass just before
> > dispatching him/her counts as 'grass fed'.

> What's the point? *They're pasture raised most of their lives and then
> finished in a feed lot. *If they weren't kept in such crowded,
> horrible conditions for so long and fed pure grain instead of that
> stuff filled with steroids and ground up cow parts, no one would be
> objecting because grain finished beef is darned tasty.

Even being fed pure grain for very long is bad. The ideal is grass
fed, grain finished, but the finishing should ideally last only a week
or two. When I was a child, the standard was 3 weeks, but after about
a week of grain feeding, cattle are starting to get stressed, as the
pH in their rumens drops.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> Their grass-fed New Zealand cheddar cheese is delicious, healthful, and
>> a bargain -

> I'm trying to picture a big wheel of cheese grazing in a New Zealand
> pasture.

Look on the label of Velveeta. It says "cheese food product". Now you
know what they feed the cheese wheels that aren't fed grass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:58:02 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...

>>> I'm trying to picture a big wheel of cheese grazing in a New Zealand
>>> pasture.

>>I'm trying to picture a diary cow grazing on something other than grass.
>>

> In this neck of the woods 'grass' is green, and 'hay' is brown. And
> we used to brag about feeding our cattle grain.

But did you describe those cows as 'grazing' on grain?

> I don't know if it is like those 'uncaged chickens' we hear about. I
> wonder if giving a bovine a blade of fresh grass just before
> dispatching him/her counts as 'grass fed'.

It's New Zealand cheese. New Zealand is famed for it's grass and it's dairy
products. It's not famed for its grain growing or grain feeding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Jim Elbrecht wrote:

>> wonder if giving a bovine a blade of fresh grass just before
>> dispatching him/her counts as 'grass fed'.
>>
>> Jim

> Ha! It probably does.

Not it it's from New Zealand it doesn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Farm1 wrote:
>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> .com...

>>> I'm trying to picture a big wheel of cheese grazing in a New Zealand
>>> pasture.

>> I'm trying to picture a diary cow grazing on something other than
>> grass.

> You're not trying very hard - see what you find when you look up what >
> most dairy cows are fed - they aren't grazing on grass.

'Grazing' means 'eating grass'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 11/20/2012 8:23 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>>> Their grass-fed New Zealand cheddar cheese is delicious, healthful,
>>> and a bargain -

>> I'm trying to picture a big wheel of cheese grazing in a New Zealand
>> pasture.

> Don't quit your day job.

But she does know that the grass fed cheese involves 'grazing' and 'grass'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> On 11/22/2012 12:58 AM, Farm1 wrote:
>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> .com...

>>> I'm trying to picture a big wheel of cheese grazing in a New Zealand
>>> pasture.

>> I'm trying to picture a diary cow grazing on something other than grass.
>>

> I did visit New Zealand a few years back, but I'd never heard of grass fed
> cheese. How do you feed a cheese? It presented a queer mental image.

Indeed. And I saw your point.

> I'm assuming the OP meant that the cheese was produced from the milk of
> grass fed cows, but that was NOT the way it was stated.

Indeed it wasn't.

> Sorry if my sense of humor offended.

It didn't offend. My name is a reflection of the fact that we produce
cattle so whereas your mental image was of a cheese grazing, mine was of a
cow grazing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>>> Their grass-fed New Zealand cheddar cheese is delicious, healthful, and
>>> a bargain -

>> I'm trying to picture a big wheel of cheese grazing in a New Zealand
>> pasture.

> Look on the label of Velveeta. It says "cheese food product". Now you
> know what they feed the cheese wheels that aren't fed grass.

But would anyone who likes cheese ever call Velveeta 'cheese'?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 11:36:28 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Nov 22, 10:20*am, sf > wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 08:02:26 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
> > wrote:

> > > b.com...

> > > In this neck of the woods 'grass' is green, and 'hay' is brown. * *And
> > > we used to brag about feeding our cattle grain.

> > I remember those days... Kansas corn fed beef was the epitome of
> > goodness.
> >

> > > I don't know if it is like those 'uncaged chickens' we hear about.

> > We have a farm up North that raises cattle and free range chickens. *I
> > like the way they operate. *The chickens are in the cow pasture and
> > their coop is moved every few days. *This isn't the same farm, but
> > it's the same method.http://www.horseandbuggyproduce.com/...res/egg-shares

> > > wonder if giving a bovine a blade of fresh grass just before
> > > dispatching him/her counts as 'grass fed'.

> > What's the point? *They're pasture raised most of their lives and then
> > finished in a feed lot. *If they weren't kept in such crowded,
> > horrible conditions for so long and fed pure grain instead of that
> > stuff filled with steroids and ground up cow parts, no one would be
> > objecting because grain finished beef is darned tasty.
> >

> Even being fed pure grain for very long is bad. The ideal is grass
> fed, grain finished, but the finishing should ideally last only a week
> or two. When I was a child, the standard was 3 weeks, but after about
> a week of grain feeding, cattle are starting to get stressed, as the
> pH in their rumens drops.

Can you imagine the cost involved in continual grain feeding? At the
most, they would have been supplemented with alfalfa while being
pastured, but I doubt it. I don't know how long they were kept on
feed lots back in the day. Couldn't have been very long or it would
have been eaten up the profits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:12:04 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

>"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> Farm1 wrote:
>>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>>> .com...

>>> I'm trying to picture a diary cow grazing on something other than
>>> grass.

>> You're not trying very hard - see what you find when you look up what >
>> most dairy cows are fed - they aren't grazing on grass.

>'Grazing' means 'eating grass'.

Smacks self in head-- *NOW* I get it.<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farm1 wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> I'm trying to picture a big wheel of cheese grazing in a New Zealand
>>> pasture.

>> Don't quit your day job.

> But she does know that the grass fed cheese involves 'grazing' and
> 'grass'.

I applaud you both. Please note the word "grazing" was used in her
message and not mine.

Yesterday was Thanksgiving here. We were all very grazeful for
bountiful food of witch we partaked.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 08:20:51 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 08:02:26 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
>wrote:
>> wonder if giving a bovine a blade of fresh grass just before
>> dispatching him/her counts as 'grass fed'.
>>

>What's the point? They're pasture raised most of their lives and then
>finished in a feed lot. If they weren't kept in such crowded,
>horrible conditions for so long and fed pure grain instead of that
>stuff filled with steroids and ground up cow parts, no one would be
>objecting because grain finished beef is darned tasty.

There's plenty of us who don't actually like or want grain-fed beef.
It's not good for the cattle, nor us who eat it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:12:04 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:

>>> You're not trying very hard - see what you find when you look up what >
>>> most dairy cows are fed - they aren't grazing on grass.

>>'Grazing' means 'eating grass'.
>>

> Smacks self in head-- *NOW* I get it.<g>

:-)) Well from all that time we both spent hanging around together in
mess.rural, I was beginning to wonder why you hadn't 'got it". I knew that
you should have done so ;-))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> Farm1 wrote:
>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> .com...

>>> I'm trying to picture a big wheel of cheese grazing in a New Zealand
>>> pasture.

>> I'm trying to picture a diary cow grazing on something other than
>> grass.

> You're not trying very hard - see what you find when you look up what
> most dairy cows are fed - they aren't grazing on grass.
>
> -S-

But she specifically said "grazing".

Mistake: Don't Do This jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 9 12-01-2015 09:33 AM
A mistake Lyndon Watson General Cooking 24 23-02-2011 02:20 AM
Mistake JT Wine 0 16-04-2009 02:58 PM
pea mistake elaine General Cooking 29 21-11-2006 03:48 AM
Sad mistake! mroo philpott-smythe Asian Cooking 82 27-01-2005 04:58 AM