Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ox Tails

We went to the local butcher shop to pick up our Thanksgiving turkey
this morning and were planning to pick up something for our Sunday
dinner. My wife was thinking about steaks, but I spotted a package of ox
tails and they were actually a pretty good price. Around here they
usually run A$10-12 for package of 3-4 bony pieces so we would have to
buy two. This package has close to a dozen pieces, all of them nice and
meaty. She is going to cook them up this afternoon and we will have
them for supper tomorrow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2014 1:08 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> We went to the local butcher shop to pick up our Thanksgiving turkey
> this morning and were planning to pick up something for our Sunday
> dinner. My wife was thinking about steaks, but I spotted a package of ox
> tails and they were actually a pretty good price. Around here they
> usually run A$10-12 for package of 3-4 bony pieces so we would have to
> buy two. This package has close to a dozen pieces, all of them nice and
> meaty. She is going to cook them up this afternoon and we will have
> them for supper tomorrow.

I love oxtail soup. The last ones I bought were quite meaty.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-11 1:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/11/2014 1:08 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> We went to the local butcher shop to pick up our Thanksgiving turkey
>> this morning and were planning to pick up something for our Sunday
>> dinner. My wife was thinking about steaks, but I spotted a package of ox
>> tails and they were actually a pretty good price. Around here they
>> usually run A$10-12 for package of 3-4 bony pieces so we would have to
>> buy two. This package has close to a dozen pieces, all of them nice and
>> meaty. She is going to cook them up this afternoon and we will have
>> them for supper tomorrow.

> I love oxtail soup. The last ones I bought were quite meaty.

Oxtail soup is good, but oxtail stew is even better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 14:46:43 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-10-11 1:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 10/11/2014 1:08 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> We went to the local butcher shop to pick up our Thanksgiving turkey
>>> this morning and were planning to pick up something for our Sunday
>>> dinner. My wife was thinking about steaks, but I spotted a package of ox
>>> tails and they were actually a pretty good price. Around here they
>>> usually run A$10-12 for package of 3-4 bony pieces so we would have to
>>> buy two. This package has close to a dozen pieces, all of them nice and
>>> meaty. She is going to cook them up this afternoon and we will have
>>> them for supper tomorrow.

>> I love oxtail soup. The last ones I bought were quite meaty.
>>

>Oxtail soup is good, but oxtail stew is even better.

what's the difference? Do you have different recipes for each? My
oxtail soup has many stew ingredients, it is just not as thick
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-11 2:52 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>> Oxtail soup is good, but oxtail stew is even better.

> what's the difference? Do you have different recipes for each? My
> oxtail soup has many stew ingredients, it is just not as thick

Good question. It is thicker. It is served on the bone.
BTW... I think I exaggerated the number, but it remains enough for us to
have a really good feed, maybe even leftovers. That is much better than
having to buy two packs at $10-12 each and not having enough to bother
going to all that work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2014 11:48 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/11/2014 1:08 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> We went to the local butcher shop to pick up our Thanksgiving turkey
>> this morning and were planning to pick up something for our Sunday
>> dinner. My wife was thinking about steaks, but I spotted a package of ox
>> tails and they were actually a pretty good price. Around here they
>> usually run A$10-12 for package of 3-4 bony pieces so we would have to
>> buy two. This package has close to a dozen pieces, all of them nice and
>> meaty. She is going to cook them up this afternoon and we will have
>> them for supper tomorrow.

> I love oxtail soup. The last ones I bought were quite meaty.
>
> Jill

Oxtail brawn is also excellent.
http://nungkysman.wordpress.com/2007...-oxtail-brawn/
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 14:09:01 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 11/10/2014 11:48 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 10/11/2014 1:08 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> We went to the local butcher shop to pick up our Thanksgiving turkey
>>> this morning and were planning to pick up something for our Sunday
>>> dinner. My wife was thinking about steaks, but I spotted a package of ox
>>> tails and they were actually a pretty good price. Around here they
>>> usually run A$10-12 for package of 3-4 bony pieces so we would have to
>>> buy two. This package has close to a dozen pieces, all of them nice and
>>> meaty. She is going to cook them up this afternoon and we will have
>>> them for supper tomorrow.

>> I love oxtail soup. The last ones I bought were quite meaty.
>>
>> Jill

>Oxtail brawn is also excellent.
>http://nungkysman.wordpress.com/2007...-oxtail-brawn/
>Graham

I can see how that recipe would come about naturally. Cooked oxtail
broth gels up so firmly.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 11/10/2014 11:48 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 10/11/2014 1:08 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> We went to the local butcher shop to pick up our Thanksgiving turkey
>>> this morning and were planning to pick up something for our Sunday
>>> dinner. My wife was thinking about steaks, but I spotted a package of ox
>>> tails and they were actually a pretty good price. Around here they
>>> usually run A$10-12 for package of 3-4 bony pieces so we would have to
>>> buy two. This package has close to a dozen pieces, all of them nice and
>>> meaty. She is going to cook them up this afternoon and we will have
>>> them for supper tomorrow.

>> I love oxtail soup. The last ones I bought were quite meaty.
>>
>> Jill

> Oxtail brawn is also excellent.
> http://nungkysman.wordpress.com/2007...-oxtail-brawn/

We don't like them but I dog does))

I buy them for her)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2014 3:59 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-10-11 2:52 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>>> Oxtail soup is good, but oxtail stew is even better.

>> what's the difference? Do you have different recipes for each? My
>> oxtail soup has many stew ingredients, it is just not as thick
>>

> Good question. It is thicker. It is served on the bone.
> BTW... I think I exaggerated the number, but it remains enough for us to
> have a really good feed, maybe even leftovers. That is much better than
> having to buy two packs at $10-12 each and not having enough to bother
> going to all that work.

Oh, I always brown then cool the oxtails. I add them back to the kettle
and cook them down but I do remove the bones before making soup or stew
with them. I despise having to fish bones out of a bowl of something
I'm eating.

Jill

smoked pig tails? The Public Library Barbecue 6 07-11-2012 12:22 AM
Pig tails. Ross@home Barbecue 1 23-04-2012 09:41 PM
Wow! $4.50 a pound for ox tails! KenK General Cooking 16 10-02-2011 01:23 AM
Lobster Tails cybercat General Cooking 36 17-07-2007 02:44 AM
Ox Tails DWACON General Cooking 20 12-07-2006 12:51 PM