Old 09-07-2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ox Tails

Will be boiling some ox tails in beer -- hope I don't run out. Using dark
beer... seems it would make a better gravy than the light.

I tried this once before and the beer cooked away before I could get them
tender.

I am thinking of buying a pressure cooker -- although they aren't good with
bubbly things like beer -- I like keeping a roof in my house. But any ideas
for recipes to do this with a pressure cooker?

Thanks!

--
Your parents take care of you until you're 21. The government takes care of
you after you're 65. You only have to take care of yourself for 44 years.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"DWACON" wrote
Will be boiling some ox tails in beer -- hope I don't run out. Using dark
beer... seems it would make a better gravy than the light.

I tried this once before and the beer cooked away before I could get them
tender.

I am thinking of buying a pressure cooker -- although they aren't good
with bubbly things like beer -- I like keeping a roof in my house. But
any ideas for recipes to do this with a pressure cooker?

Thanks!

I found this one on Google. Sounds pretty good, to me:

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blss86.htm

If you Google on oxtails, you'll find quite a few recipes.

Dora

Old 09-07-2006, 10:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

DWACON wrote:

Will be boiling some ox tails in beer -- hope I don't run out. Using dark
beer... seems it would make a better gravy than the light.

I tried this once before and the beer cooked away before I could get them
tender.

I am thinking of buying a pressure cooker -- although they aren't good with
bubbly things like beer -- I like keeping a roof in my house. But any ideas
for recipes to do this with a pressure cooker?

Dry browning the oxtails in a bit of oil first. Then toss in some chopped
celery, onion and carrot, along with a bit of garlic, then add beef broth and a
bit of tomato paste. Cover it and stick it in the oven at about 300 for a
couple hours. If you want a thicker sauce you can remove the meat, bring the
liquid to a boil and stir on some Veloutine or a gravy and water slurry/ You may
need to pour off a bit of fat first.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article pPcsg.154523$k%[email protected],
"DWACON" wrote:

Will be boiling some ox tails in beer -- hope I don't run out. Using dark
beer... seems it would make a better gravy than the light.

I tried this once before and the beer cooked away before I could get them
tender.

I am thinking of buying a pressure cooker -- although they aren't good with
bubbly things like beer -- I like keeping a roof in my house. But any ideas
for recipes to do this with a pressure cooker?

Thanks!

Make sure the beer's flat before you use it. Pressure cook at 15psi for
about 45-60 minutes, IME.
--
-Barb
http://jamlady.eboard.com Updated 7-5-06, Pannekoeken
Old 09-07-2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
DWACON wrote:

[...]

Absolutely brown them in oil first. Then (pressure cooker or not) you just
need to simmer them in water or broth until they are falling apart tender.
YUM! Make oxtail stew... throw in some diced potatoes, carrots, onion,
celery towards the last of the simmering, about 40 minutes.

Jill

Old 10-07-2006, 01:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

Absolutely brown them in oil first. Then (pressure cooker or not) you just
need to simmer them in water or broth until they are falling apart tender.
YUM! Make oxtail stew... throw in some diced potatoes, carrots, onion,
celery towards the last of the simmering, about 40 minutes.

You got something against bay leaf?
Old 10-07-2006, 07:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Absolutely brown them in oil first. Then (pressure cooker or not)
you just need to simmer them in water or broth until they are
falling apart tender. YUM! Make oxtail stew... throw in some diced
potatoes, carrots, onion, celery towards the last of the simmering,
about 40 minutes.

You got something against bay leaf?

Of course not; but who ever heard of bay leaf with ox tails? LOL

Old 10-07-2006, 02:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article , "jmcquown" wrote:
Dave Smith wrote:
DWACON wrote:
[...]

I was looking at ox tails in the local supermarket last Saturday
morning. It's been a bit cool here lately, even in the tropics, and
the idea of oxtail stew rather appealed. BUT, as they have been for
some time now, they were far too bloody fatty. Coincidentally, a mate
of mine did buy two packs; but I've since heard he ended up with
barely one after cutting out the more obvious chunks of fat. Bloody
pity really. Oxtail stew/curry is great tucker.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 10-07-2006, 03:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:

I was looking at ox tails in the local supermarket last Saturday
morning. It's been a bit cool here lately, even in the tropics, and
the idea of oxtail stew rather appealed. BUT, as they have been for
some time now, they were far too bloody fatty. Coincidentally, a mate
of mine did buy two packs; but I've since heard he ended up with
barely one after cutting out the more obvious chunks of fat. Bloody
pity really. Oxtail stew/curry is great tucker.

You don't have to cut off the fat before cooking. A lot of it will be rendered out and, like any braised
dish, they taste better are cooled and then re-heated. The fat will rise to the top and harden and can
be picked off easily.

We used to have ox tails frequently when I was first married. They were cheap for very little money we
could buy enough oxtails to have a real feed of them. Recently, I have been finding that it costs more
for enough ox tails for a reasonable serving than it does for steak, and it just doesn't seem right to
have to pay so much for a meal that needs other ingredients and a time and work to prepare.

Old 10-07-2006, 04:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks!

B A R L E Y

Old 10-07-2006, 05:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article pPcsg.154523$k%[email protected],
"DWACON" wrote:

[snip]
I am thinking of buying a pressure cooker -- although they aren't good with
bubbly things like beer -- I like keeping a roof in my house. But any ideas
for recipes to do this with a pressure cooker?

Make sure the beer's flat before you use it. Pressure cook at 15psi for
about 45-60 minutes, IME.

Here's a link to a recipe by Emeril called "Caribbean Oxtails." He
uses Guinness stout and recommends boiling the stout or beer for
several minutes. Probably doesn't have the patience to open it and let
it go flat first. The recipe also gives procedures for either long
simmering or using a pressure cooker. -aem

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._33510,00.html

Old 11-07-2006, 11:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article , Dave Smith wrote:
Phred wrote:

I was looking at ox tails in the local supermarket last Saturday
morning. It's been a bit cool here lately, even in the tropics, and
the idea of oxtail stew rather appealed. BUT, as they have been for
some time now, they were far too bloody fatty. Coincidentally, a mate
of mine did buy two packs; but I've since heard he ended up with
barely one after cutting out the more obvious chunks of fat. Bloody
pity really. Oxtail stew/curry is great tucker.

You don't have to cut off the fat before cooking. A lot of it will be rendered out and, like any braised
dish, they taste better are cooled and then re-heated. The fat will rise to the top and harden and can
be picked off easily.

True. But I wasn't really talking method, I was talking proportions.

We used to have ox tails frequently when I was first married. They were cheap for very little money we
could buy enough oxtails to have a real feed of them. Recently, I have been finding that it costs more
for enough ox tails for a reasonable serving than it does for steak, and it just doesn't seem right to
have to pay so much for a meal that needs other ingredients and a time and work to prepare.

The damn things are obviously becoming too popular!
Lamb neck chops are going the same way. :-(

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 11-07-2006, 03:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:
The damn things are obviously becoming too popular!
Lamb neck chops are going the same way. :-(

Cheers, Phred.

I've often used smoked necks to flavour green beans - they were cheaper than
ham hocks. Yesterday at the supermarket, the name had changed to "smoked
pork" - and for a small package of neck bones with hardly any meat, as
usual, they wanted almost $5.00 US. Crazy. Since when were bones more
expensive than the meat?

Dora

Old 11-07-2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:
The damn things are obviously becoming too popular!
Lamb neck chops are going the same way. :-(

Cheers, Phred.

I've often used smoked necks to flavour green beans - they were cheaper than
ham hocks. Yesterday at the supermarket, the name had changed to "smoked
pork" - and for a small package of neck bones with hardly any meat, as
usual, they wanted almost $5.00 US. Crazy. Since when were bones more
expensive than the meat?

Unfortunately, it seems to be a trend. Many of those old braising favourites
that used to be dirt cheap are now much more expensive, sometimes even more
expensive that those lean cuts that can be prepared with minimal effort.
Chicken wings used to be very cheap here, but then came the Buffalo wing craze.
Restaurants used to make a dandy profit on them because they bought them cheap
and they were simply deep fried and tossed in hot sauce. Now wings are quite
expensive. I can by a package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts that will
easily feed two for less than it costs for a decent feed of wings.

Ox Tails Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 11 11-10-2014 11:14 PM
smoked pig tails? The Public Library Barbecue 6 07-11-2012 12:22 AM
Pig tails. [email protected] Barbecue 1 23-04-2012 09:41 PM
Wow! $4.50 a pound for ox tails! KenK General Cooking 16 10-02-2011 01:23 AM
Lobster Tails cybercat General Cooking 36 17-07-2007 02:44 AM