Old 07-02-2011, 05:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wow! $4.50 a pound for ox tails!

Ox tails this expensive where you live too? Seems like they used to be
_much_ cheaper - after all they're mostly fat and bone.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 7, 9:56*am, KenK wrote:
Ox tails this expensive where you live too? Seems like they used to be
_much_ cheaper - after all they're mostly fat and bone.

Only one tail per ox.

Things like beef shank bones are crazy expensive, but this is the
stockmaking time of year.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Feb 2011 17:56:34 GMT, KenK wrote:

Ox tails this expensive where you live too? Seems like they used to be
_much_ cheaper - after all they're mostly fat and bone.

And for many years now they're not even ox tails, they're beef
tails... I remember as a kid real ox tails were free; po' folks food.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

On 7 Feb 2011 17:56:34 GMT, KenK wrote:

Ox tails this expensive where you live too? Seems like they used to be
_much_ cheaper - after all they're mostly fat and bone.

They're always expensive. I've never seen them less than $3.79.
$4.50 is regular price for the last 5-8 years.

-sw

I'll have to check, last time I noticed them around here recently I
recall them being $2-something a pound.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
KenK wrote:

Ox tails this expensive where you live too? Seems like they used to be
_much_ cheaper - after all they're mostly fat and bone.

I'd love things like ox tail to be only $4.50 per pound. That's what we
pay for beef mince (ground beef) on a good week.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Old 07-02-2011, 10:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/02/2011 2:07 PM, Miche wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Ox tails this expensive where you live too? Seems like they used to be
_much_ cheaper - after all they're mostly fat and bone.

I'd love things like ox tail to be only $4.50 per pound. That's what we
pay for beef mince (ground beef) on a good week.

Given the small amount of meat on ox tails, they should be less than
hamburger. Hamburg my not be the best beef, but it is all edible, and it
is a hell of a lot less labour intensive to cook. The thing that
oxtails have going for them is that they are so damned good when you
cook them right.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 7, 12:56*pm, KenK wrote:
Ox tails this expensive where you live too? Seems like they used to be
_much_ cheaper - after all they're mostly fat and bone.

Yes they are about $3.99 to $4.49 where I live, and that's about as
cheap as you can get them. I won't buy them at that price. I can get
good beef shank for $2.99 per pound; and I can get nice meaty ones if
I go through the packages.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Ox tails this expensive where you live too? Seems like they used to be
_much_ cheaper - after all they're mostly fat and bone.

I'd love things like ox tail to be only $4.50 per pound. That's what we
pay for beef mince (ground beef) on a good week.

Given the small amount of meat on ox tails, they should be less than
hamburger. Hamburg my not be the best beef, but it is all edible, and it
is a hell of a lot less labour intensive to cook. The thing that
oxtails have going for them is that they are so damned good when you
cook them right.

Well, there you go. And I suspect that part of their cost is what the
traffic will bear.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Old 08-02-2011, 12:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 7, 10:32*am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On 7 Feb 2011 17:56:34 GMT, KenK wrote:

Ox tails this expensive where you live too? Seems like they used to be
_much_ cheaper - after all they're mostly fat and bone.

And for many years now they're not even ox tails, they're beef
tails... I remember as a kid real ox tails were free; po' folks food.

and so were beef bones...used to get the free from the local butcher
and they always had meat that my mom would trim off and then use the
bones for seasoning beef stew.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
KenK wrote:

Ox tails this expensive where you live too? Seems like they used to be
_much_ cheaper - after all they're mostly fat and bone.

I can get them for $3/lb at the secret meat store. Supermarket price is
at least $4.50/lb.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

* *wrote:

Ox tails this expensive where you live too? Seems like they used to be
_much_ cheaper - after all they're mostly fat and bone.

I'd love things like ox tail to be only $4.50 per pound. *That's what we
pay for beef mince (ground beef) on a good week.

Given the small amount of meat on ox tails, they should be less than
hamburger. Hamburg my not be the best beef, but it is all edible, and it
is a hell of a lot less labour intensive to cook. *The thing that
oxtails have going for them is that they are so damned good when you
cook them right.

People don't buy oxtails for their meat to bone ratio.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 17:22:10 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

Given the small amount of meat on ox tails, they should be less than
hamburger. Hamburg my not be the best beef, but it is all edible, and it
is a hell of a lot less labour intensive to cook. The thing that
oxtails have going for them is that they are so damned good when you
cook them right.

So then they should be MORE than hamburger. I don't get your logic.

And other than its taste and tenderness, USDA Prime prime rib should be
a *lot* cheaper than hamburger also, due to the waste of the former.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Ox Tails Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 11 11-10-2014 11:14 PM
smoked pig tails? The Public Library Barbecue 6 07-11-2012 12:22 AM
Pig tails. [email protected] Barbecue 1 23-04-2012 09:41 PM
Lobster Tails cybercat General Cooking 36 17-07-2007 02:44 AM
Ox Tails DWACON General Cooking 20 12-07-2006 12:51 PM