Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Crustini buns for hamburgers.

My tip of the month: I ate a lot of burgers this summer and found that crustini buns are far better than the usual tasteless burger buns on the market. They also hold up better when loading with all the goodies. Try them...you might like them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2014 6:29 PM, Roy wrote:
> My tip of the month: I ate a lot of burgers this summer and found that crustini buns are far better than the usual tasteless burger buns on the market. They also hold up better when loading with all the goodies. Try them...you might like them.

The Orowheat ones with the corn meal dusting?

They're tasty for sure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2014 5:29 PM, Roy wrote:
> My tip of the month: I ate a lot of burgers this summer and found
> that crustini buns are far better than the usual tasteless burger
> buns on the market. They also hold up better when loading with all
> the goodies. Try them...you might like them.

I prefer kaiser rolls. Since I have type-2 diabetes, my doctor strongly
advised me to only eat complex carbohydrates, which includes whole wheat
bread products.

Our local supermarket carries whole wheat kaiser rolls. They are not
prepackaged, so I do not have to buy a package of six just for two
hamburgers. Instead, I can get one whole wheat for me and one white for
my wife.

--
David E. Ross

Visit "Cooking with David" at
<http://www.rossde.com/cooking/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> My tip of the month: I ate a lot of burgers this summer and found that
> crustini buns are far better than the usual tasteless burger buns on the
> market. They also hold up better when loading with all the goodies. Try
> them...you might like them.

I did try them and found them to be pretty much as meh as a hamburger bun.
I guess I just prefer a different bread texture. Soft stuff like that is
good for peanut butter and jelly but for anything else I like something less
airy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2014 8:29 PM, Roy wrote:
> My tip of the month: I ate a lot of burgers this summer and found that crustini buns are far better than the usual tasteless burger buns on the market. They also hold up better when loading with all the goodies. Try them...you might like them.

Sounds like an idea! Regular hamburger buns are pretty awful.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 17:29:37 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
wrote:

>My tip of the month: I ate a lot of burgers this summer and found that crustini buns are far better than the usual tasteless burger buns on the market. They also hold up better when loading with all the goodies. Try them...you might like them.

I've been using the torta buns from Costco. Before that I used
similar from the grocery store bakery. I've never been able to eat
the regular soft, sweet hamburger buns.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 18:47:46 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

> crustini buns

Hadn't heard of them before this... looked up an image, don't remember
seeing them - but I look for the thinnest whole wheat bun I can find
if I'm not buying a ciabatta roll. However, if I ever found a pretzel
bun (not a thick pretzel roll), I could easily be convinced to try it.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 19:27:14 -0700, "David E. Ross"
> wrote:

> Our local supermarket carries whole wheat kaiser rolls. They are not
> prepackaged, so I do not have to buy a package of six just for two
> hamburgers. Instead, I can get one whole wheat for me and one white for
> my wife.

You're so lucky! I wish I could find ciabatta rolls by the each too.
WW would be even better.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 19:27:14 -0700, "David E. Ross"
> > wrote:
>
>> Our local supermarket carries whole wheat kaiser rolls. They are not
>> prepackaged, so I do not have to buy a package of six just for two
>> hamburgers. Instead, I can get one whole wheat for me and one white for
>> my wife.

> You're so lucky! I wish I could find ciabatta rolls by the each too.
> WW would be even better.

I was thinking the same thing today. Safeway had some good looking buns but
they came in a huge package.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2014 7:29 PM, Roy wrote:
> My tip of the month: I ate a lot of burgers this summer and found
> that crustini buns are far better than the usual tasteless burger
> buns on the market. They also hold up better when loading with all
> the goodies. Try them...you might like them.

We use bolillo rolls when we make burgers, the markets here makes fresh
ones every morning and you can not beat their price. They remind you of
baguettes, and they have no problem holding up to toppings, even when we
make Italian sandwiches. Have not tried crustini buns, but I will take a
look at them.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 22:56:42 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 18:47:46 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
>
>> crustini buns

>Hadn't heard of them before this... looked up an image, don't remember
>seeing them - but I look for the thinnest whole wheat bun I can find
>if I'm not buying a ciabatta roll. However, if I ever found a pretzel
>bun (not a thick pretzel roll), I could easily be convinced to try it.

Costco carries pretzel rolls. They are not something I care for.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 21:18:57 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 17:29:37 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
>wrote:
>
>>My tip of the month: I ate a lot of burgers this summer and found that crustini buns are far better than the usual tasteless burger buns on the market. They also hold up better when loading with all the goodies. Try them...you might like them.
>>

>I've been using the torta buns from Costco. Before that I used
>similar from the grocery store bakery. I've never been able to eat
>the regular soft, sweet hamburger buns.
>Janet US

Have you tried the brioche buns from Costco? I have not used them on
burgers (kind sweet, as you say), but they make a nice toasted BLT or
tomato sandwich.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2014 10:57 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 19:27:14 -0700, "David E. Ross"
> > wrote:
>
>> Our local supermarket carries whole wheat kaiser rolls. They are not
>> prepackaged, so I do not have to buy a package of six just for two
>> hamburgers. Instead, I can get one whole wheat for me and one white for
>> my wife.

> You're so lucky! I wish I could find ciabatta rolls by the each too.
> WW would be even better.

Try Von's (or its parent Safeway). At Von's, I often see bins of
different varieties of individual ciabatta rolls right next to the
kaiser rolls.

--
David E. Ross

Visit "Cooking with David" at
<http://www.rossde.com/cooking/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 07:59:05 -0700, "David E. Ross"
> wrote:

> On 8/20/2014 10:57 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 19:27:14 -0700, "David E. Ross"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Our local supermarket carries whole wheat kaiser rolls. They are not
> >> prepackaged, so I do not have to buy a package of six just for two
> >> hamburgers. Instead, I can get one whole wheat for me and one white for
> >> my wife.

> > You're so lucky! I wish I could find ciabatta rolls by the each too.
> > WW would be even better.
> >

> Try Von's (or its parent Safeway). At Von's, I often see bins of
> different varieties of individual ciabatta rolls right next to the
> kaiser rolls.

Unfortunately, the store I shop at on a regular basis is Safeway - but
ciabatta rolls only come in packages of 4. We have bollitos by the
each here.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 08:21:40 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 22:56:42 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 18:47:46 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
> >
> >> crustini buns

> >Hadn't heard of them before this... looked up an image, don't remember
> >seeing them - but I look for the thinnest whole wheat bun I can find
> >if I'm not buying a ciabatta roll. However, if I ever found a pretzel
> >bun (not a thick pretzel roll), I could easily be convinced to try it.

> Costco carries pretzel rolls. They are not something I care for.
> Janet US

I *really*, really, really like Noah's pretzel bagels, that's why I'm
willing to try it once.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2014 10:21 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 22:56:42 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 18:47:46 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
>>
>>> crustini buns

>> Hadn't heard of them before this... looked up an image, don't remember
>> seeing them - but I look for the thinnest whole wheat bun I can find
>> if I'm not buying a ciabatta roll. However, if I ever found a pretzel
>> bun (not a thick pretzel roll), I could easily be convinced to try it.

> Costco carries pretzel rolls. They are not something I care for.
> Janet US

Pretzel rolls seem to be the latest food fad.

Jill