Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Carnitas

Jes made a HUGE batch. Overwhelmed my "big orange"[1]. I'll have
more than enough to give to neighbors and friends and still enough
left over to become sick to death of it. So much, in fact, it's the
first time I ever hadda mix up more sauce to finish it, as the
original sauce ingredients were not enough for such a large pork roast
(8lbs!). Perhaps my method was a bit unconventional, but the results
rock.

Unfortunately, I forgot to buy tortillas, yesterday, and gotta go back
to the store. A sixer of cerveza couldn't hurt, also.

----

notbob's Carnitas

One pork roast
oranges (or OJ)
limes
lemons
New Mexico ground chile powder (hot)
serrano chiles
jalapeno chiles
chicken stock
garlic
onions
cumin
oregano

Put it all in yer "big orange" and bake in oven at 350F until it falls
apart. If the liquids have completely evaporated, add more. When
pork pulls apart (pull-pork!), put on stove-top and gently simmer
remaining sauce until thickens to a paste (or almost), as long as you
get full coverage of all the pulled apart pork pieces.

----

I'll let you folks decide the portions for above. After all, you all
claim to be cooks. Besides, even I miscalculated the amts and hadda
add more. Jes start with enough liquids to cover roast half way. I
start with about half and half, OJ to chkn stk, plus juice of couple
limes and couple lemons. The amt of dried chile pwdr is yer own. I
like mine quite spicy.

[1] In this case, my big ol' orange Le Creuset French Oven, like on
all the cooking shows (purchased for 60% off at going-out-of-biz
sale). Any large dutch overn or oven safe pot, with lid, will do.

enjoy =D
nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2014 7:55 AM, notbob wrote:
> Jes made a HUGE batch. Overwhelmed my "big orange"[1]. I'll have
> more than enough to give to neighbors and friends and still enough
> left over to become sick to death of it. So much, in fact, it's the
> first time I ever hadda mix up more sauce to finish it, as the
> original sauce ingredients were not enough for such a large pork roast
> (8lbs!). Perhaps my method was a bit unconventional, but the results
> rock.
>
> Unfortunately, I forgot to buy tortillas, yesterday, and gotta go back
> to the store. A sixer of cerveza couldn't hurt, also.
>
> ----
>
> notbob's Carnitas
>
> One pork roast
> oranges (or OJ)
> limes
> lemons
> New Mexico ground chile powder (hot)
> serrano chiles
> jalapeno chiles
> chicken stock
> garlic
> onions
> cumin
> oregano
>
> Put it all in yer "big orange" and bake in oven at 350F until it falls
> apart. If the liquids have completely evaporated, add more. When
> pork pulls apart (pull-pork!), put on stove-top and gently simmer
> remaining sauce until thickens to a paste (or almost), as long as you
> get full coverage of all the pulled apart pork pieces.
>
> ----
>
> I'll let you folks decide the portions for above. After all, you all
> claim to be cooks. Besides, even I miscalculated the amts and hadda
> add more. Jes start with enough liquids to cover roast half way. I
> start with about half and half, OJ to chkn stk, plus juice of couple
> limes and couple lemons. The amt of dried chile pwdr is yer own. I
> like mine quite spicy.
>

> [1] In this case, my big ol' orange Le Creuset French Oven, like on
> all the cooking shows (purchased for 60% off at going-out-of-biz
> sale). Any large dutch overn or oven safe pot, with lid, will do.
>
> enjoy =D
> nb

Very nice!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Jes made a HUGE batch. Overwhelmed my "big orange"[1]. I'll have
> more than enough to give to neighbors and friends and still enough
> left over to become sick to death of it. So much, in fact, it's the
> first time I ever hadda mix up more sauce to finish it, as the
> original sauce ingredients were not enough for such a large pork roast
> (8lbs!). Perhaps my method was a bit unconventional, but the results
> rock.
>
> Unfortunately, I forgot to buy tortillas, yesterday, and gotta go back
> to the store. A sixer of cerveza couldn't hurt, also.

No milk?

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2014 8:55 AM, notbob wrote:
> Jes made a HUGE batch. Overwhelmed my "big orange"[1]. I'll have
> more than enough to give to neighbors and friends and still enough
> left over to become sick to death of it. So much, in fact, it's the
> first time I ever hadda mix up more sauce to finish it, as the
> original sauce ingredients were not enough for such a large pork roast
> (8lbs!). Perhaps my method was a bit unconventional, but the results
> rock.
>
> Unfortunately, I forgot to buy tortillas, yesterday, and gotta go back
> to the store. A sixer of cerveza couldn't hurt, also.
>
> ----
>
> notbob's Carnitas
>
> One pork roast
> oranges (or OJ)
> limes
> lemons
> New Mexico ground chile powder (hot)
> serrano chiles
> jalapeno chiles
> chicken stock
> garlic
> onions
> cumin
> oregano
>
> Put it all in yer "big orange" and bake in oven at 350F until it falls
> apart. If the liquids have completely evaporated, add more. When
> pork pulls apart (pull-pork!), put on stove-top and gently simmer
> remaining sauce until thickens to a paste (or almost), as long as you
> get full coverage of all the pulled apart pork pieces.
>
> ----
>
> I'll let you folks decide the portions for above. After all, you all
> claim to be cooks. Besides, even I miscalculated the amts and hadda
> add more. Jes start with enough liquids to cover roast half way. I
> start with about half and half, OJ to chkn stk, plus juice of couple
> limes and couple lemons. The amt of dried chile pwdr is yer own. I
> like mine quite spicy.
>

> [1] In this case, my big ol' orange Le Creuset French Oven, like on
> all the cooking shows (purchased for 60% off at going-out-of-biz
> sale). Any large dutch overn or oven safe pot, with lid, will do.
>
> enjoy =D
> nb

Don't you brown the mat again for carnitas?

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2014 12:34 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> Jes made a HUGE batch. Overwhelmed my "big orange"[1]. I'll have
>> more than enough to give to neighbors and friends and still enough
>> left over to become sick to death of it. So much, in fact, it's the
>> first time I ever hadda mix up more sauce to finish it, as the
>> original sauce ingredients were not enough for such a large pork roast
>> (8lbs!). Perhaps my method was a bit unconventional, but the results
>> rock.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I forgot to buy tortillas, yesterday, and gotta go back
>> to the store. A sixer of cerveza couldn't hurt, also.

> No milk?

Carnitas are not _that_ hot...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mayo" > wrote in message ...
> On 8/15/2014 12:34 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> "notbob" > wrote in message
>>> Jes made a HUGE batch. Overwhelmed my "big orange"[1]. I'll have
>>> more than enough to give to neighbors and friends and still enough
>>> left over to become sick to death of it. So much, in fact, it's the
>>> first time I ever hadda mix up more sauce to finish it, as the
>>> original sauce ingredients were not enough for such a large pork roast
>>> (8lbs!). Perhaps my method was a bit unconventional, but the results
>>> rock.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I forgot to buy tortillas, yesterday, and gotta go back
>>> to the store. A sixer of cerveza couldn't hurt, also.

>> No milk?
>>

> Carnitas are not _that_ hot...

No, no ... you roast the pork with the milk. That's the abuelita method.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:05:20 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> "Mayo" > wrote in message ...

> >> No milk?
> >>

> > Carnitas are not _that_ hot...

> No, no ... you roast the pork with the milk. That's the abuelita method.

I like his version. Now I know what to do with that bottle of Naranja
Agria (Bitter Orange) I bought on a whim at the Mexican grocery.

Is this what you were talking about?
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Pepper-358749
or it this more like it?
http://leitesculinaria.com/80909/rec...ried-pork.html
http://www.patismexicantable.com/2014/01/carnitas/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 13:39:28 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 8/15/2014 8:55 AM, notbob wrote:
> > Jes made a HUGE batch.

<snip>
> > Put it all in yer "big orange" and bake in oven at 350F until it falls
> > apart. If the liquids have completely evaporated, add more. When
> > pork pulls apart (pull-pork!), put on stove-top and gently simmer
> > remaining sauce until thickens to a paste (or almost), as long as you
> > get full coverage of all the pulled apart pork pieces.
> >
> > ----
> >
> > I'll let you folks decide the portions for above. After all, you all
> > claim to be cooks. Besides, even I miscalculated the amts and hadda
> > add more. Jes start with enough liquids to cover roast half way. I
> > start with about half and half, OJ to chkn stk, plus juice of couple
> > limes and couple lemons. The amt of dried chile pwdr is yer own. I
> > like mine quite spicy.
> >

> > [1] In this case, my big ol' orange Le Creuset French Oven, like on
> > all the cooking shows (purchased for 60% off at going-out-of-biz
> > sale). Any large dutch overn or oven safe pot, with lid, will do.
> >

> Don't you brown the mat again for carnitas?

Doesn't the browning happen after chunking/pulling and just before
serving?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2014 2:58 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 13:39:28 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/15/2014 8:55 AM, notbob wrote:
>>> Jes made a HUGE batch.

> <snip>
>>> Put it all in yer "big orange" and bake in oven at 350F until it falls
>>> apart. If the liquids have completely evaporated, add more. When
>>> pork pulls apart (pull-pork!), put on stove-top and gently simmer
>>> remaining sauce until thickens to a paste (or almost), as long as you
>>> get full coverage of all the pulled apart pork pieces.
>>>
>>> ----
>>>
>>> I'll let you folks decide the portions for above. After all, you all
>>> claim to be cooks. Besides, even I miscalculated the amts and hadda
>>> add more. Jes start with enough liquids to cover roast half way. I
>>> start with about half and half, OJ to chkn stk, plus juice of couple
>>> limes and couple lemons. The amt of dried chile pwdr is yer own. I
>>> like mine quite spicy.
>>>

>>> [1] In this case, my big ol' orange Le Creuset French Oven, like on
>>> all the cooking shows (purchased for 60% off at going-out-of-biz
>>> sale). Any large dutch overn or oven safe pot, with lid, will do.
>>>

>> Don't you brown the mat again for carnitas?

> Doesn't the browning happen after chunking/pulling and just before
> serving?

Down here they brown the meat again after it's been cooked. It crisps
the edges. Very yummy

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 16:18:53 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 8/15/2014 2:58 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 13:39:28 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> > wrote:

> > <snip>

> >> Don't you brown the mat again for carnitas?

> > Doesn't the browning happen after chunking/pulling and just before
> > serving?
> >

> Down here they brown the meat again after it's been cooked. It crisps
> the edges. Very yummy

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. How do you cook yours? With or
without milk? Regular or condensed?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2014 1:05 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Mayo" > wrote in message ...

>>> No milk?
>>>

>> Carnitas are not _that_ hot...

> No, no ... you roast the pork with the milk. That's the abuelita method.

Really?!?!?

I should know that!

Well, learned something new.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2014 1:58 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 13:39:28 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/15/2014 8:55 AM, notbob wrote:
>>> Jes made a HUGE batch.

> <snip>
>>> Put it all in yer "big orange" and bake in oven at 350F until it falls
>>> apart. If the liquids have completely evaporated, add more. When
>>> pork pulls apart (pull-pork!), put on stove-top and gently simmer
>>> remaining sauce until thickens to a paste (or almost), as long as you
>>> get full coverage of all the pulled apart pork pieces.
>>>
>>> ----
>>>
>>> I'll let you folks decide the portions for above. After all, you all
>>> claim to be cooks. Besides, even I miscalculated the amts and hadda
>>> add more. Jes start with enough liquids to cover roast half way. I
>>> start with about half and half, OJ to chkn stk, plus juice of couple
>>> limes and couple lemons. The amt of dried chile pwdr is yer own. I
>>> like mine quite spicy.
>>>

>>> [1] In this case, my big ol' orange Le Creuset French Oven, like on
>>> all the cooking shows (purchased for 60% off at going-out-of-biz
>>> sale). Any large dutch overn or oven safe pot, with lid, will do.
>>>

>> Don't you brown the mat again for carnitas?

> Doesn't the browning happen after chunking/pulling and just before
> serving?

I've seen it either way.

Lots of folks prefer to brown at the start and then deglaze and simmer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2014 4:21 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 16:18:53 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/15/2014 2:58 PM, sf wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> Doesn't the browning happen after chunking/pulling and just before
>>> serving?
>>>

>> Down here they brown the meat again after it's been cooked. It crisps
>> the edges. Very yummy

> Yes, that's what I was trying to say. How do you cook yours? With or
> without milk? Regular or condensed?

Don't think I've had it with milk. I never use milk, but maybe some
restaurants do.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Mayo" > wrote in message ...

>>> No milk?
>>>

>> Carnitas are not _that_ hot...

>No, no ... you roast the pork with the milk. That's the abuelita method.

That's right Paul, gotta have milk for carnitas
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...-carnitas.html

koko
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 16:40:59 -0700, koko > wrote:

> That's right Paul, gotta have milk for carnitas
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...-carnitas.html

Saved, thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 15, 2014 7:55:26 AM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
> Jes made a HUGE batch. Overwhelmed my "big orange"[1]. I'll have
>
> more than enough to give to neighbors and friends and still enough
>
> left over to become sick to death of it. So much, in fact, it's the
>
> first time I ever hadda mix up more sauce to finish it, as the
>
> original sauce ingredients were not enough for such a large pork roast
>
> (8lbs!). Perhaps my method was a bit unconventional, but the results
>
> rock.
>

> Unfortunately, I forgot to buy tortillas, yesterday, and gotta go back
>
> to the store. A sixer of cerveza couldn't hurt, also.
>

> ----
>

> notbob's Carnitas
>

> One pork roast
>
> oranges (or OJ)
>
> limes
>
> lemons
>
> New Mexico ground chile powder (hot)
>
> serrano chiles
>
> jalapeno chiles
>
> chicken stock
>
> garlic
>
> onions
>
> cumin
>
> oregano
>

> Put it all in yer "big orange" and bake in oven at 350F until it falls
>
> apart. If the liquids have completely evaporated, add more. When
>
> pork pulls apart (pull-pork!), put on stove-top and gently simmer
>
> remaining sauce until thickens to a paste (or almost), as long as you
>
> get full coverage of all the pulled apart pork pieces.
>

> ----
>

> I'll let you folks decide the portions for above. After all, you all
>
> claim to be cooks. Besides, even I miscalculated the amts and hadda
>
> add more. Jes start with enough liquids to cover roast half way. I
>
> start with about half and half, OJ to chkn stk, plus juice of couple
>
> limes and couple lemons. The amt of dried chile pwdr is yer own. I
>
> like mine quite spicy.
>

> [1] In this case, my big ol' orange Le Creuset French Oven, like on
>
> all the cooking shows (purchased for 60% off at going-out-of-biz
>
> sale). Any large dutch overn or oven safe pot, with lid, will do.
>

> enjoy =D
>
> nb

OH YUM!! We had a restaurant years ago that only served carnitas on Thursdays. They marinated it for 12 hrs and slow roasted for 12 hrs. It was fall apart tender and soooo good. They still have it on the menu, but everyday now and it is not as good. I have only made my own a couple of times and it was only OK. I like mine with pico de gallo and corn tortillas.

I will just eat my Friday night piece of cod and a side of brussel sprouts.

DaleP
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 17:13:23 -0700 (PDT), dalep
> wrote:

> OH YUM!! We had a restaurant years ago that only served carnitas on Thursdays. They marinated it for 12 hrs and slow roasted for 12 hrs. It was fall apart tender and soooo good. They still have it on the menu, but everyday now and it is not as good. I have only made my own a couple of times and it was only OK. I like mine with pico de gallo and corn tortillas.

I wish I knew a place like that. When it's good, it's worth waiting
for. We used to have a bakery that only sold salt rising bread on
Friday and it was well worth the wait!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:05:20 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:

>> > Carnitas are not _that_ hot...

>> No, no ... you roast the pork with the milk. That's the abuelita method.
>>

> I like his version. Now I know what to do with that bottle of Naranja
> Agria (Bitter Orange) I bought on a whim at the Mexican grocery.
>
> Is this what you were talking about?
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Pepper-358749
> or it this more like it?
> http://leitesculinaria.com/80909/rec...ried-pork.html
> http://www.patismexicantable.com/2014/01/carnitas/

Bitter orange would make a great Cuban roast pork.

> --
> Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to
> hold them.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:05:20 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:

>>> Carnitas are not _that_ hot...

>>No, no ... you roast the pork with the milk. That's the abuelita method.
>>

> That's right Paul, gotta have milk for carnitas
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...-carnitas.html

That's the good stuff. Love it.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-15, koko > wrote:

> That's right Paul, gotta have milk for carnitas
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...-carnitas.html

Mus be NYC carnitas. NorCal carnitas are made with citrus fruit, peppers, and
Mexican herbs, not French herbs like bay leaf, thyme, and celery. As
for milk?..... well, it'll be awhile before I can wrap my head around
that one. 8|

Still, might be tasty. It's all jes variations on any kind of pulled
pork. Quite the animal, the pig. Hard to mess up pork.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2014 5:40 PM, koko wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:05:20 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:

>>> Carnitas are not _that_ hot...

>> No, no ... you roast the pork with the milk. That's the abuelita method.
>>

> That's right Paul, gotta have milk for carnitas
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...-carnitas.html
>
> koko

Not exclusively, either for milk or choice of meat:

http://recipes-mexican.com/santa-fe-carnitas/

Santa Fe Carnitas
Ingredients:

1 (1 1/2 pound) boneless sirloin or top round steak, cut across the
grain into 1/8-inch strips

Marinade
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons dried Mexican oregano
4 garlic cloves, minced

http://naturallivingmamma.com/2014/0...s-slow-cooker/

Pork Carnitas Tacos

Ingredients:

2 tbsp organic olive oil
2 lb pork shoulder
2 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
4 cups chicken broth
Juice from 2 oranges, divided
salt and pepper to taste
2 jalapenos (optional)
GMO-free corn tortillas
garnishments
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2014 9:05 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Mayo" > wrote in message ...

>>> No milk?
>>>

>> Carnitas are not _that_ hot...

> No, no ... you roast the pork with the milk. That's the abuelita method.

Jews would probably find the idea of roasting meat with milk to be a
terrifying prospect. I think it's kind of repulsive too. OTOH, I love
roast pork and am going to hell anyway so I'll give it a go.

Speaking of repulsive, I had some squid luau yesterday. It looked like
green pig diarrhea with chunks in it. Squid luau is taro leaves cooked
in sweetened coconut milk with squid. The chunks were big in size so I
assume it was chopped octopus arms swimming in there. Yum!

> ---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 08:39:47 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> Speaking of repulsive, I had some squid luau yesterday. It looked like
> green pig diarrhea with chunks in it. Squid luau is taro leaves cooked
> in sweetened coconut milk with squid. The chunks were big in size so I
> assume it was chopped octopus arms swimming in there. Yum!

Octopus is delicious, so is coconut milk. Not enthusiastic about the
leaves, but maybe they taste better than they sound.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2014 9:01 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 08:39:47 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> Speaking of repulsive, I had some squid luau yesterday. It looked like
>> green pig diarrhea with chunks in it. Squid luau is taro leaves cooked
>> in sweetened coconut milk with squid. The chunks were big in size so I
>> assume it was chopped octopus arms swimming in there. Yum!

> Octopus is delicious, so is coconut milk. Not enthusiastic about the
> leaves, but maybe they taste better than they sound.

Taro leaves have a mild taste sorta like spinach. They have to be well
cooked to get rid of sharp calcium oxalate crystals. In my mind, it's
less repulsive than the new Jack in the Box sandwich which is a burger
with teriyaki sauce and a slice of Spam. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 09:13:17 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 8/16/2014 9:01 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 08:39:47 -1000, dsi1
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Speaking of repulsive, I had some squid luau yesterday. It looked like
> >> green pig diarrhea with chunks in it. Squid luau is taro leaves cooked
> >> in sweetened coconut milk with squid. The chunks were big in size so I
> >> assume it was chopped octopus arms swimming in there. Yum!

> > Octopus is delicious, so is coconut milk. Not enthusiastic about the
> > leaves, but maybe they taste better than they sound.
> >

> Taro leaves have a mild taste sorta like spinach. They have to be well
> cooked to get rid of sharp calcium oxalate crystals.

Thanks.

> In my mind, it's
> less repulsive than the new Jack in the Box sandwich which is a burger
> with teriyaki sauce and a slice of Spam. :-)

Ick, ick, ick on the JB Spamburger. Maybe they thought: It's Hawaii,
they love Spam, let's put it in a burger. Run it up the flagpole and
see who salutes kind of thing. They might do better if they grind it
up and combine it with the burger meat. I did that with mild Italian
sausage and raw shrimp (ground). Mixed them together and made
burgers. It's absolutely something I'll do again except I'll use hot
Italian sausage next time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2014 12:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 8/15/2014 9:05 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> Carnitas are not _that_ hot...

>> No, no ... you roast the pork with the milk. That's the abuelita method.
>>

> Jews would probably find the idea of roasting meat with milk to be a
> terrifying prospect. I think it's kind of repulsive too. OTOH, I love
> roast pork and am going to hell anyway so I'll give it a go.
>
> Speaking of repulsive, I had some squid luau yesterday. It looked like
> green pig diarrhea with chunks in it. Squid luau is taro leaves cooked
> in sweetened coconut milk with squid. The chunks were big in size so I
> assume it was chopped octopus arms swimming in there. Yum!

Mercy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 8/15/2014 9:05 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> Carnitas are not _that_ hot...

>> No, no ... you roast the pork with the milk. That's the abuelita method.
>>

> Jews would probably find the idea of roasting meat with milk to be a
> terrifying prospect. I think it's kind of repulsive too. OTOH, I love
> roast pork and am going to hell anyway so I'll give it a go.
>
> Speaking of repulsive, I had some squid luau yesterday. It looked like
> green pig diarrhea with chunks in it. Squid luau is taro leaves cooked in
> sweetened coconut milk with squid. The chunks were big in size so I assume
> it was chopped octopus arms swimming in there. Yum!

You make it sound so attractive! How can we possibly live without something
that looks like 'green pig diarrhea with chunks in it'. Not that I have
ever seen green pig diarrhea ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've noticed that when carnitas is discussed in this newsgroup that
there is much mention of rather elaborate marinades and roasting. My
introduction to carnitas, cooked by a family from Jalisco, had the meat,
pork shoulder, cooked in a big pot of melted pork fat. The only added
ingredient was a cola drink which is supposed to help brown the meat.
And I was told that some families use orange juice instead of cola. This
was done at large outdoor parties during the day. Cooking was done in a
large copper pot over a wood fire. The done meat was chopped and served
in corn tortillas with home made salsa fresca. Definitely the best
carnitas tacos that I've ever had.

D.M.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2014 8:03 PM, Don Martinich wrote:
> I've noticed that when carnitas is discussed in this newsgroup that
> there is much mention of rather elaborate marinades and roasting. My
> introduction to carnitas, cooked by a family from Jalisco, had the meat,
> pork shoulder, cooked in a big pot of melted pork fat. The only added
> ingredient was a cola drink which is supposed to help brown the meat.
> And I was told that some families use orange juice instead of cola. This
> was done at large outdoor parties during the day. Cooking was done in a
> large copper pot over a wood fire. The done meat was chopped and served
> in corn tortillas with home made salsa fresca. Definitely the best
> carnitas tacos that I've ever had.
>
> D.M.

Oh yeah!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2014 1:04 AM, Mayo wrote:
> On 8/16/2014 8:03 PM, Don Martinich wrote:
>> I've noticed that when carnitas is discussed in this newsgroup that
>> there is much mention of rather elaborate marinades and roasting. My
>> introduction to carnitas, cooked by a family from Jalisco, had the meat,
>> pork shoulder, cooked in a big pot of melted pork fat. The only added
>> ingredient was a cola drink which is supposed to help brown the meat.
>> And I was told that some families use orange juice instead of cola. This
>> was done at large outdoor parties during the day. Cooking was done in a
>> large copper pot over a wood fire. The done meat was chopped and served
>> in corn tortillas with home made salsa fresca. Definitely the best
>> carnitas tacos that I've ever had.
>>
>> D.M.
>>

> Oh yeah!

This is similar to Diana Kennedy's recipe in "The Cuisines of Mexico",
except that her recipe is even simpler. To paraphrase, cube the pork,
something like shoulder with a lot of fat, put it into a pan with water
to cover. Simmer uncovered until the water is gone; if the meat is not
soft then add more water and simmer some more. Then, fry the meat in the
residual fat until crispy and brown, adding more fat if necessary.

I have done this, but I usually add garlic, onion, and a few spices.
It's good, and of course it benefits from a nice sauce, added after cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2014-08-15, koko > wrote:
>
>> That's right Paul, gotta have milk for carnitas
>> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...-carnitas.html

> Mus be NYC carnitas. NorCal carnitas are made with citrus fruit, peppers,
> and
> Mexican herbs, not French herbs like bay leaf, thyme, and celery. As
> for milk?..... well, it'll be awhile before I can wrap my head around
> that one. 8|
>
> Still, might be tasty. It's all jes variations on any kind of pulled
> pork. Quite the animal, the pig. Hard to mess up pork.

It is very tasty and it is notn like you would ever know it had been cooked
witj, not in, milk. The milk completely cooks out.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 8/15/2014 9:05 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> Carnitas are not _that_ hot...

>> No, no ... you roast the pork with the milk. That's the abuelita method.
>>

> Jews would probably find the idea of roasting meat with milk to be a
> terrifying prospect. I think it's kind of repulsive too. OTOH, I love
> roast pork and am going to hell anyway so I'll give it a go.

The biggest challange I have encountered is finding kosher pork for
carnitas. That stuff is scarce!

> Speaking of repulsive, I had some squid luau yesterday. It looked like
> green pig diarrhea with chunks in it. Squid luau is taro leaves cooked in
> sweetened coconut milk with squid. The chunks were big in size so I assume
> it was chopped octopus arms swimming in there. Yum!

Try natto.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2014 10:17 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> No, no ... you roast the pork with the milk. That's the abuelita method.
>>>

>> Jews would probably find the idea of roasting meat with milk to be a
>> terrifying prospect. I think it's kind of repulsive too. OTOH, I love
>> roast pork and am going to hell anyway so I'll give it a go.
>>

> The biggest challange I have encountered is finding kosher pork for
> carnitas. That stuff is scarce!

This would be a good point.

>> Speaking of repulsive, I had some squid luau yesterday. It looked like
>> green pig diarrhea with chunks in it. Squid luau is taro leaves cooked in
>> sweetened coconut milk with squid. The chunks were big in size so I assume
>> it was chopped octopus arms swimming in there. Yum!

> Try natto.

That stuff smells like you made some rice and then threw in some sweaty,
stinky, socks in the pot and then let it ferment in a high school locker
for a couple of days. I'd rather eat a birthday cake frosted with ground
up vienna sausage.

> ---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2014 9:37 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 09:13:17 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 8/16/2014 9:01 AM, sf wrote:
>>> On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 08:39:47 -1000, dsi1

>>> Octopus is delicious, so is coconut milk. Not enthusiastic about the
>>> leaves, but maybe they taste better than they sound.
>>>

>> Taro leaves have a mild taste sorta like spinach. They have to be well
>> cooked to get rid of sharp calcium oxalate crystals.

> Thanks.
>
>> In my mind, it's
>> less repulsive than the new Jack in the Box sandwich which is a burger
>> with teriyaki sauce and a slice of Spam. :-)

> Ick, ick, ick on the JB Spamburger. Maybe they thought: It's Hawaii,
> they love Spam, let's put it in a burger. Run it up the flagpole and
> see who salutes kind of thing. They might do better if they grind it
> up and combine it with the burger meat. I did that with mild Italian
> sausage and raw shrimp (ground). Mixed them together and made
> burgers. It's absolutely something I'll do again except I'll use hot
> Italian sausage next time.

I think that a Spam Teri Jr. Jack sounds pretty unappetizing and will
get mostly a negative response from the locals. It's a rather cynical
move by Jack.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2014 9:55 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> No, no ... you roast the pork with the milk. That's the abuelita
>>> method.
>>>

>> Jews would probably find the idea of roasting meat with milk to be a
>> terrifying prospect. I think it's kind of repulsive too. OTOH, I love
>> roast pork and am going to hell anyway so I'll give it a go.
>>
>> Speaking of repulsive, I had some squid luau yesterday. It looked like
>> green pig diarrhea with chunks in it. Squid luau is taro leaves cooked
>> in sweetened coconut milk with squid. The chunks were big in size so I
>> assume it was chopped octopus arms swimming in there. Yum!

> You make it sound so attractive! How can we possibly live without
> something that looks like 'green pig diarrhea with chunks in it'. Not
> that I have ever seen green pig diarrhea ...

Me neither but I can't imagine that it could look much different from this:

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2010/02...-kanak-attack/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 8/16/2014 9:55 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Jews would probably find the idea of roasting meat with milk to be a
>>> terrifying prospect. I think it's kind of repulsive too. OTOH, I love
>>> roast pork and am going to hell anyway so I'll give it a go.
>>>
>>> Speaking of repulsive, I had some squid luau yesterday. It looked like
>>> green pig diarrhea with chunks in it. Squid luau is taro leaves cooked
>>> in sweetened coconut milk with squid. The chunks were big in size so I
>>> assume it was chopped octopus arms swimming in there. Yum!

>> You make it sound so attractive! How can we possibly live without
>> something that looks like 'green pig diarrhea with chunks in it'. Not
>> that I have ever seen green pig diarrhea ...
>>

> Me neither but I can't imagine that it could look much different from
> this:
>
> http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2010/02...-kanak-attack/

Ewwwwwwww I take your point! And you actually ATE that stuff???

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 8/16/2014 10:17 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> Jews would probably find the idea of roasting meat with milk to be a
>>> terrifying prospect. I think it's kind of repulsive too. OTOH, I love
>>> roast pork and am going to hell anyway so I'll give it a go.
>>>

>> The biggest challange I have encountered is finding kosher pork for
>> carnitas. That stuff is scarce!

> This would be a good point.
>

>>> Speaking of repulsive, I had some squid luau yesterday. It looked like
>>> green pig diarrhea with chunks in it. Squid luau is taro leaves cooked
>>> in
>>> sweetened coconut milk with squid. The chunks were big in size so I
>>> assume
>>> it was chopped octopus arms swimming in there. Yum!

>> Try natto.
>>

> That stuff smells like you made some rice and then threw in some sweaty,
> stinky, socks in the pot and then let it ferment in a high school locker
> for a couple of days. I'd rather eat a birthday cake frosted with ground
> up vienna sausage.

You do seem to know some strange foods <g>
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-17, Travis McGee > wrote:

> soft then add more water and simmer some more. Then, fry the meat in the
> residual fat until crispy and brown, adding more fat if necessary.

Lotsa ways to make carnitas. I have an oven and a good dutch oven, so
choose not to resort to going "native" and cooking over a wood fire,
copper pot, etc. I suspect good Mexico City restos also do not resort
to open fires in search of authenticity. My recipe for carnitas turns
out a dish that is exactly like the carnitas I could buy every
Fri from my neighborhood carnicerķa, which would sell out by Fri
evening.

> I have done this, but I usually add garlic, onion, and a few spices.
> It's good, and of course it benefits from a nice sauce, added after cooking.

Why add after cooking? A sauce made with the pork roast includes the
pork drippings/juices from the roast and wastes nada. Adding the
herbs/spices/veggies while cooking only enhances the sauce. As for
"crispy and brown", I get some browning during the roasting process,
depending on basting frequency, so finished dish includes both crisped
and soft pork pieces.

I've seen carnitas that are crisped in fat. I've also seen the same
carnitas turn to dry fire-starter shavings after being held too long
in a bain marie. My recipe will survive warming lamps, though I
prefer to put 'em in a tupperware kinda container and refrigerate.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2014 11:42 PM, Travis McGee wrote:
> On 8/17/2014 1:04 AM, Mayo wrote:
>> On 8/16/2014 8:03 PM, Don Martinich wrote:
>>> I've noticed that when carnitas is discussed in this newsgroup that
>>> there is much mention of rather elaborate marinades and roasting. My
>>> introduction to carnitas, cooked by a family from Jalisco, had the meat,
>>> pork shoulder, cooked in a big pot of melted pork fat. The only added
>>> ingredient was a cola drink which is supposed to help brown the meat.
>>> And I was told that some families use orange juice instead of cola. This
>>> was done at large outdoor parties during the day. Cooking was done in a
>>> large copper pot over a wood fire. The done meat was chopped and served
>>> in corn tortillas with home made salsa fresca. Definitely the best
>>> carnitas tacos that I've ever had.
>>>
>>> D.M.
>>>

>> Oh yeah!

> This is similar to Diana Kennedy's recipe in "The Cuisines of Mexico",
> except that her recipe is even simpler. To paraphrase, cube the pork,
> something like shoulder with a lot of fat, put it into a pan with water
> to cover. Simmer uncovered until the water is gone; if the meat is not
> soft then add more water and simmer some more. Then, fry the meat in the
> residual fat until crispy and brown, adding more fat if necessary.
>
> I have done this, but I usually add garlic, onion, and a few spices.
> It's good, and of course it benefits from a nice sauce, added after
> cooking.

A deceptively simple dish to make, but so tasty!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2014 2:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> Ewwwwwwww I take your point! And you actually ATE that stuff???

Amazing, ain't it? :-)

Carnitas bulka[_2_] General Cooking 0 04-03-2009 12:35 AM
Carnitas Goomba[_2_] General Cooking 2 03-03-2009 07:30 PM
Carnitas Nancy Young General Cooking 55 14-05-2006 01:47 AM
carnitas fishman99 Mexican Cooking 1 12-11-2005 03:47 PM
Carnitas Glenn Jacobs General Cooking 13 06-11-2003 10:17 PM