Glenn Jacobs

Default Carnitas

I am looking for recipes, recommended cuts of meat and/or general
procedures for preparing Carnitas. I have tried a couple of times with
little success. In general the meat has come out to dry and often tough.
I have both simmered the meat and then finished it in the oven and have
cooked only in the oven covered at low heat.

Thank you in advance,

JakeInhartsel
Max

I start with Boston Butt or Country Style ribs (Sliced Boston Butt)
I leave the fat on, and cube it to about 1" and put the cubes of pork into
my big cast iron skillet, in a single layer.
I mince about 3 cloves of garlic or so, and sprinkle over the pork.
I sprinkle a mixture of dried, ground chiles and some cayenne pepper over
the pork.
I sprinkle kosher salt over the pork.
I add water to about 1/4-3/8" deep and set the skillet over medium low heat.
I simmer the pork slowly, stirring and scraping occasionally with a metal
spatula, until the water evaporates, and the pork renders some fat.
After the water is evaporated, I raise the heat a little and continue
stirring and scraping until the carnitas are browned and crispy around the
edges.
As the water evaporates, it will look like it is going to stick and make a
mess. If your cast iron is in good shape, everything will turn loose and
come together nicely.
Serve hot with toothpicks.

This is one of my family's favorite appetizers. On the offhand chance that
some are leftover, they reheat well (especially in a skillet)

Enjoy!

-Max-

"Glenn Jacobs" > wrote in message
> I am looking for recipes, recommended cuts of meat and/or general
> procedures for preparing Carnitas. I have tried a couple of times with
> little success. In general the meat has come out to dry and often tough.
> I have both simmered the meat and then finished it in the oven and have
> cooked only in the oven covered at low heat.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> JakeInhartsel

Dimitri

"Glenn Jacobs" > wrote in message
> I am looking for recipes, recommended cuts of meat and/or general
> procedures for preparing Carnitas. I have tried a couple of times with
> little success. In general the meat has come out to dry and often tough.
> I have both simmered the meat and then finished it in the oven and have
> cooked only in the oven covered at low heat.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> JakeInhartsel

Go he http://cocinamexicana.com.mx/ingles/menu/frame.html

Click on meat and then carnitas.

Although it is poorly translated there are IMHO 3 important aspects to good
Carnitas.

1. Making sure you brown the meat nicely.
2. The orange zest -peal is important.
3. The simmering in milk - not the non fat stuff - use regular milk.
There is a certain amount of fat in the milk that I believe helps keep the
meat moist.

Remember foods like carnitas (little meats) are every day food. These
recipes are designed for "Not the best quality" of pork. I would recommend
shoulder. Remember this is "pre-cut orange flavored pork pot-roast."

Just enjoy.

Dimitri

Jack Schidt®

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

> Go he http://cocinamexicana.com.mx/ingles/menu/frame.html
>
> Click on meat and then carnitas.
>
> Although it is poorly translated there are IMHO 3 important aspects to

good
> Carnitas.
>
> 1. Making sure you brown the meat nicely.
> 2. The orange zest -peal is important.
> 3. The simmering in milk - not the non fat stuff - use regular milk.
> There is a certain amount of fat in the milk that I believe helps keep the
> meat moist.
>
> Remember foods like carnitas (little meats) are every day food. These
> recipes are designed for "Not the best quality" of pork. I would

recommend
> shoulder. Remember this is "pre-cut orange flavored pork pot-roast."
>
> Just enjoy.
>
> Dimitri

I'm so happy with this explanation that I'm gonna fix this on saturday.

Jack Elated

Dimitri

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
om...

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> om...
> >

> > Go he http://cocinamexicana.com.mx/ingles/menu/frame.html
> >
> > Click on meat and then carnitas.
> >
> > Although it is poorly translated there are IMHO 3 important aspects to

> good
> > Carnitas.
> >
> > 1. Making sure you brown the meat nicely.
> > 2. The orange zest -peal is important.
> > 3. The simmering in milk - not the non fat stuff - use regular milk.
> > There is a certain amount of fat in the milk that I believe helps keep

the
> > meat moist.
> >
> > Remember foods like carnitas (little meats) are every day food. These
> > recipes are designed for "Not the best quality" of pork. I would

> recommend
> > shoulder. Remember this is "pre-cut orange flavored pork pot-roast."
> >
> > Just enjoy.
> >
> > Dimitri
> >

> I'm so happy with this explanation that I'm gonna fix this on saturday.
>
> Jack Elated

Serve with corn tortillas, guacamole (mashed avocado, lime juice & salt) and
pico de gallo. Oh yes, don't forget the cervesa...

Pico de Gallo

4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 fresh chile peppers, mild or hot, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped red or yellow bell pepper (not really mexican but OK)
1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon lime juice
salt and pepper, to taste
Combine ingredients in a glass or other non-reactive bowl and refrigerate
for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Makes about 2 cups.

Dimitri

april-g

I lived 7 blissful years in Guadalajara, Mexico. One of my favorite memories was
going out into the country on a Sunday afternoon and buying carnitas from the
roadside vendors. I KNOW they used Coca-Cola in their recipes, so I went looking
for a facsimile that included this ingredient. I found it at:
http://www.felixcabosanlucas.com/recipes11.html

Karl

Glenn Jacobs ), citing the Rules of Acquisition to
rec.food.cooking, says...

> I am looking for recipes, recommended cuts of meat and/or general
> procedures for preparing Carnitas. I have tried a couple of times with
> little success. In general the meat has come out to dry and often tough.
> I have both simmered the meat and then finished it in the oven and have
> cooked only in the oven covered at low heat.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> JakeInhartsel

My ***FAVORITE*** way of making carnitas is to take a pork shoulder,
sometimes called a picnic shoulder, sear it in a frying pan, and put it
in a Dutch oven pan with about a tablespoon of corriander seed and one or
two large onions, slivered.

Add a can of beer for cooking liquid. This is one of the few times I'll
actually buy Budweiser -- it has a nice flavor balance for this dish.

Cover the pot, place it in the oven at 275 degrees F for about three
hours. You should just about be able to shake the meat off the bones.

Take the meat out of the pan and spread it out in a casserole. It should
make a one-inch thick layer. Spread minced, pulverized, or chopped
garlic on top, and place it under a broiler until the meat is just
beginning to crisp up.

Stir in the top layer, add more garlic if you're so inclined, and repeat.

Two or three such toastings will give you a nicely caramelized meat,
with, to my taste, just the right blend of crispiness and tenderness.

Two years ago, I cooked a banquet for 60 people, with a "south of the
border" theme. I saw an ad for picnic shoulder, 69¢/lb. I bought 15
pounds of it, made up a HUGE batch of carnitas at the last minute, and it
was very well received by all in attendance. There was even a little bit
left over for the servers to take home.

.............Karl
notbob

On 2003-11-05, Frogleg > wrote:

> So what is it called when I cover unbrowned cubed pork (available
> fantastically cheap and labeled "pork stew meat") with homemade red
> chile sauce and bake, covered, at oh, say, 300F for several hours or
> until it sort of comes apart when pressed on? And then uncover for
> another 20-30 minutes to concentrate the sauce? *I* call it carnitas.
> But obviously I'm wrong. :-)

Sounds like carnitas to me!

That's how I made it the first time. Rick Bayless lists two basic
(authentic) methods of making carnitas, one of which is your method,
(wet method). The other is to cook the meat in a fry pan (dry
method). Just a couple points. With the wet method, the most common
liquid is a orange/lime/spice broth, not a chile sauce. Also,
According to every recipe I've read, and a couple of Mexican friends,
chiles are not used in the cooking of carnitas. I used a little NM
chile powder, anyway. So, sue me.

nb
Glenn Jacobs

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 13:25:18 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

> So what is it called when I cover unbrowned cubed pork (available
> fantastically cheap and labeled "pork stew meat") with homemade red
> chile sauce and bake, covered, at oh, say, 300F for several hours or
> until it sort of comes apart when pressed on? And then uncover for
> another 20-30 minutes to concentrate the sauce? *I* call it carnitas.
> But obviously I'm wrong. :-)

No you aren't wrong, but I am begining to think there are as many recipes
for carnitas as there are Mexican Cooks. I think the real trick is to find
the time to try them all. I intend to to try alot of them.

JakeInHartsel

Karl

Frogleg ), citing the Rules of Acquisition to
rec.food.cooking, says...

> So what is it called when I cover unbrowned cubed pork (available
> fantastically cheap and labeled "pork stew meat") with homemade red
> chile sauce and bake, covered, at oh, say, 300F for several hours or
> until it sort of comes apart when pressed on? And then uncover for
> another 20-30 minutes to concentrate the sauce? *I* call it carnitas.
> But obviously I'm wrong. :-)

Not necessarily. "Carnitas" is simply Spanish for "little (bits of)
meat", and in fact, need not be pork.

I seem to recall a recipe for duck carnitas....

Here we go!
<http://www.melindalee.com/recipearchive.html?action=124&item_id=448>

I haven't tried this one. If you do, let me know how it is.

............Karl

DUCK CARNITAS
Here’s another carnitas recipe that (like the carnitas made with baby
back ribs) employs the French method of cooking the meat in fat, like
duck confit. The rich flavor and the fat skin if the duck are transformed
by this technique into crusty chunks of moist meat. The pieces are
terrific just nibbled by themselves, maybe dipped in the salsa - or tuck
them into a warm tortilla with the salsa.

SERVES 4

6 duck legs
6 tablespoons, chipotle rub (*recipe below)
2 pounds, lard or 4 cups, olive oil
1 white onion – thickly sliced (3/4-inch thick slices)
10 cloves, garlic
1 cup, salsa verde (**recipe below)

In a shallow, non-reactive dish, place the duck legs. Sprinkle over the
chipotle rub, coating the duck legs evenly. Cover and refrigerate
overnight.

The next day, preheat the oven to 225 degrees. In a heavy, ovenproof pan,
melt the lard (or heat the oil) together with the onion, garlic and the
duck on top of the stove until warm throughout.

Then place the pan in the oven and cook, uncovered, until the duck is
very tender – about 3 hours. Remove from the oven and allow the duck to
cool in the cooking fat.

To serve: remove the duck from the fat and place the pieces in a non-
stick skillet over medium heat. Heat slowly, turning frequently, until
well browned and crisp on both sides – about 8 minutes.

Transfer the browned pieces to a cutting board. When cool enough to
handle, cut the meat from the bones and chop coarsely. Serve with the
salsa.

*CHIPOTLE RUB

This rub is easy to make and adds a smoky complexity to many other dishes
as well – from corn on the cob, to pork, seafood – or other foods of your
choice. Chipotle chiles are dried, smoked jalapeno chiles.

Makes about 1/2 cup

1 tablespoon, corn oil
3 chipotle chiles – seeded, veins removed
2 tablespoons, kosher salt
1 tablespoon, dried Mexican oregano leaves – toasted and ground
5 cloves, garlic

Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the chiles, one at
a time, and fry them, turning once, until puffed and brown – about 1
minute. Do not allow the chiles to burn, or the result will have a bitter
taste. Remove the chiles from the pan with tongs – shaking off the excess
oil. Set them aside until they are cool and crisp. Discard the oil.

In a coffee grinder, mini food processor or spice mill, grind the chiles
in batches until they are powdery. Add the salt, oregano and garlic to
the powder chiles and process together until the mixture becomes a rough,
salt-like spice rub. [Cook’s Note: If the mixture seems wet, spread it in
a thin layer on a baking sheet and allow it to dry out in a cool (150-
degree) oven for an hour or so.]

Store unused mixture in a covered container at room temperature. It will
keep almost indefinitely. Regrind (or “re-process”) before use to
“freshen” the flavors, if necessary.

**SALSA VERDE

This bright green, astringent salsa is excellent with all rich-flavored
foods.It is best enjoyed the day it is made; flavors fade as time goes
by.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups

10 tomatillos (Mexican green tomatoes)
2 serrano chiles, including their seeds
1/4 cup, coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup, water
1/4 teaspoon, salt
1/4 cup, finely diced white onion

Remove husks from the tomatillos and rinse them, then gently poach the
tomatillos in water until soft. Drain the tomatillos (reserving any
pieces that have come off in the water – use a strainer to catch broken
pieces, if necessary).

Place all the ingredients, except the onion, in a blander or food
processor, and puree until smooth. Fold in the onion.

Recipe adapted from Bocaditos by Reed Heron (Chronicle Books)

The Joneses

Dimitri wrote:

> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > >

> > > Go he http://cocinamexicana.com.mx/ingles/menu/frame.html
> > >
> > > Click on meat and then carnitas.
> > >
> > > Although it is poorly translated there are IMHO 3 important aspects to

> > good
> > > Carnitas.
> > >
> > > 1. Making sure you brown the meat nicely.
> > > 2. The orange zest -peal is important.
> > > 3. The simmering in milk - not the non fat stuff - use regular milk.
> > > There is a certain amount of fat in the milk that I believe helps keep

> the
> > > meat moist.
> > >
> > > Remember foods like carnitas (little meats) are every day food. These
> > > recipes are designed for "Not the best quality" of pork. I would

> > recommend
> > > shoulder. Remember this is "pre-cut orange flavored pork pot-roast."
> > >
> > > Just enjoy.
> > >
> > > Dimitri
> > >

> > I'm so happy with this explanation that I'm gonna fix this on saturday.
> >
> > Jack Elated

> Serve with corn tortillas, guacamole (mashed avocado, lime juice & salt) and
> pico de gallo. Oh yes, don't forget the cervesa...
>
> Pico de Gallo
>
> 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
> 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
> 2 fresh chile peppers, mild or hot, seeded and finely chopped
> 2 tablespoons chopped red or yellow bell pepper (not really mexican but OK)
> 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
> 1 teaspoon lime juice
> salt and pepper, to taste
> Combine ingredients in a glass or other non-reactive bowl and refrigerate
> for at least 30 minutes before serving.
> Makes about 2 cups.
>
> Dimitri

Thanks for the recipe! Y'all know I buy my pico de gallo (for now...), and
since there's only two of us, I freeze the rest in an ice cube tray, pop those
into a plastic baggie and just take out a cube or three per week. Tastes
just fine. Do you not use any vinegar in yours?
Edrena

Dimitri

"The Joneses" > wrote in message

<snip>

> > > Jack Elated

> > Serve with corn tortillas, guacamole (mashed avocado, lime juice & salt)

and
> > pico de gallo. Oh yes, don't forget the cervesa...
> >
> > Pico de Gallo
> >
> > 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
> > 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
> > 2 fresh chile peppers, mild or hot, seeded and finely chopped
> > 2 tablespoons chopped red or yellow bell pepper (not really mexican but

OK)
> > 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
> > 1 teaspoon lime juice
> > salt and pepper, to taste
> > Combine ingredients in a glass or other non-reactive bowl and

refrigerate
> > for at least 30 minutes before serving.
> > Makes about 2 cups.
> >
> > Dimitri

> Thanks for the recipe! Y'all know I buy my pico de gallo (for now...), and
> since there's only two of us, I freeze the rest in an ice cube tray, pop

those
> into a plastic baggie and just take out a cube or three per week. Tastes
> just fine. Do you not use any vinegar in yours?
> Edrena

Vinegar, very seldom. Mostly I like to use lime (not lemon) juice. I find
the flavor more pleasing and the sweet of the juice balances against the
hot. However that is just personal taste and what I was raised eating. IMHO
the only "wrong" in cooking is calling something that which it is not.

Dimitri

april jones

In article >, april-g says...

>I lived 7 blissful years in Guadalajara, Mexico. One of my favorite memories was
>going out into the country on a Sunday afternoon and buying carnitas from the
>roadside vendors. I KNOW they used Coca-Cola in their recipes, so I went looking
>for a facsimile that included this ingredient. I found it at:
>http://www.felixcabosanlucas.com/recipes11.html

>April,
>Thanks for posting this great link! It has me inspired to make some Chiles en Nogada this weekend as pomegranates are in season. I do use Pepsi when I make carnitas but I think I am going to try the Coca-Cola imported from Mexico that is sold at a Mexican grocery here next time.

April J

"Wild salmon don't do drugs"

Carnitas notbob General Cooking 68 18-08-2014 11:25 PM
Carnitas bulka[_2_] General Cooking 0 03-03-2009 11:35 PM
Carnitas Goomba[_2_] General Cooking 2 03-03-2009 06:30 PM
Carnitas Nancy Young General Cooking 55 14-05-2006 01:47 AM
carnitas fishman99 Mexican Cooking 1 12-11-2005 02:47 PM