Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Carnitas

Jes made a HUGE batch. Overwhelmed my "big orange"[1]. I'll have
more than enough to give to neighbors and friends and still enough
left over to become sick to death of it. So much, in fact, it's the
first time I ever hadda mix up more sauce to finish it, as the
original sauce ingredients were not enough for such a large pork roast
(8lbs!). Perhaps my method was a bit unconventional, but the results
rock.

Unfortunately, I forgot to buy tortillas, yesterday, and gotta go back
to the store. A sixer of cerveza couldn't hurt, also.

----

notbob's Carnitas

One pork roast
oranges (or OJ)
limes
lemons
New Mexico ground chile powder (hot)
serrano chiles
jalapeno chiles
chicken stock
garlic
onions
cumin
oregano

Put it all in yer "big orange" and bake in oven at 350F until it falls
apart. If the liquids have completely evaporated, add more. When
pork pulls apart (pull-pork!), put on stove-top and gently simmer
remaining sauce until thickens to a paste (or almost), as long as you
get full coverage of all the pulled apart pork pieces.

----

I'll let you folks decide the portions for above. After all, you all
claim to be cooks. Besides, even I miscalculated the amts and hadda
add more. Jes start with enough liquids to cover roast half way. I
start with about half and half, OJ to chkn stk, plus juice of couple
limes and couple lemons. The amt of dried chile pwdr is yer own. I
like mine quite spicy.

[1] In this case, my big ol' orange Le Creuset French Oven, like on
all the cooking shows (purchased for 60% off at going-out-of-biz
sale). Any large dutch overn or oven safe pot, with lid, will do.

enjoy =D
nb