Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default new "want" for my home style pizza making

Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/2/2014 6:18 PM, sf wrote:

> Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
> perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
> http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936

I was unable to watch the video - "Unable to play the content. Try
again." Trying again didn't work.

I will say that the best Pizza Margherita I've ever eaten was in a small
town outside Venice, Italy. Made all the varieties we have here in the
US pale by comparison.

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 18:39:56 -0500, DreadfulBitch
> wrote:

>On 7/2/2014 6:18 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
>> perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
>> http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936
>>

>I was unable to watch the video - "Unable to play the content. Try
>again." Trying again didn't work.

Same here.

John Kuthe...

>I will say that the best Pizza Margherita I've ever eaten was in a small
>town outside Venice, Italy. Made all the varieties we have here in the
>US pale by comparison.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 18:39:56 -0500, DreadfulBitch
> > wrote:
>
>>On 7/2/2014 6:18 PM, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
>>> perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
>>> http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936
>>>

>>I was unable to watch the video - "Unable to play the content. Try
>>again." Trying again didn't work.
>>

> Same here.

yeah but the dozens of advertising addresses seemed to pop by and load just
fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
> perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
> http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936

what is the sense? you don't cook on a peel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
> perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
> http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936

I have seen them. I have no peel. But what is the purpose of the
perforations? Since you don't bake it on the peel...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 4:39:56 PM UTC-7, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> On 7/2/2014 6:18 PM, sf wrote:
>

> > Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
> > perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!

> > http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936

> I was unable to watch the video - "Unable to play the content. Try
> again." Trying again didn't work.

Same here, so what in the world does a perforated pizza peel do for
the chef?

> I will say that the best Pizza Margherita I've ever eaten was in a small
> town outside Venice, Italy. Made all the varieties we have here in the
> US pale by comparison.

the Pizza Margherita was created by Ralph Esposito of Naples for the
King and Queen of the relatively newly united Italy, Umberto and
Margherita of Savoy (the king's cousin). Pizza is a product of the
poverty-stricken south, not the affluent north, so that Venice excelled
is surprising.

Esposito is a common Italian surname implying that the holder (or his
forebear) is a foundling. "Esposito" means "the exposed one," one left
on the church steps for the priests and or nuns to raise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 10:24:04 AM UTC+10, wrote:

> Same here, so what in the world does a perforated pizza peel do for
> the chef?

Advertising would have it that the holes reduce friction, which isn't true. Holes will reduce the "suction cup effect", which is the probable source of that claim. The other practical effects are that excess flour will fall through the holes, and the peel is lighter.

Metal peels might also be driven by food safety inspectors being down on wood in commercial kitchens.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Timo" > wrote in message
On Thursday, July 3, 2014 10:24:04 AM UTC+10, wrote:

> Same here, so what in the world does a perforated pizza peel do for
> the chef?

Advertising would have it that the holes reduce friction, which isn't true.
Holes will reduce the "suction cup effect", which is the probable source of
that claim. The other practical effects are that excess flour will fall
through the holes, and the peel is lighter.

Metal peels might also be driven by food safety inspectors being down on
wood in commercial kitchens.

-----------

food safety inspectors would surely prefer a solid metal peel to a
perforated peel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/2/2014 7:18 PM, sf wrote:

> Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
> perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
> http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936

What is the advantage? The peel is just a conveying tool. Slide off
into the oven, slide the peel under to take it out, then slide it off
again. I don't see how perforations would change anything of the wood
works.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote...

> http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936

That looks more like a shallow bowl of tomato soup than a pizza. Way,
way too much sauce, IMO.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> "sf" > wrote...
>>
>> http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936

> That looks more like a shallow bowl of tomato soup than a pizza. Way, way
> too much sauce, IMO.

that pizza looks lousy for a number of reasons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 17:00:11 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

> yeah but the dozens of advertising addresses seemed to pop by and load just
> fine.

I have ad blockers, so I saw none of that sh*t.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 17:00:11 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
> wrote:
>
>> yeah but the dozens of advertising addresses seemed to pop by and load
>> just
>> fine.

> I have ad blockers, so I saw none of that sh*t.

I am not sure I saw it either, but the lower left bar showed all these add
sites in rapid succession. What is all that junk?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/2/2014 7:08 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
>>
>> Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
>> perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
>> http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936
>>

> what is the sense? you don't cook on a peel.

I looked it up on another site. The claim is that the perforations keep
excess flour from being carried to the oven where it could burn and
produce a bitter taste.

A google search also brought up a site with instructions on how to make
your own perforated peel.

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/2/2014 8:55 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "pltrgyst" > wrote in message
>> "sf" > wrote...
>>>
>>> http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936

> that pizza looks lousy for a number of reasons.

Disagree!! I wouldn't want it if I was in the mood for mouths full of
stringy cheese, but if I wanted a wonderfully seasoned tomato sauce with
just the perfect amount of cheese it would look like the one pictured.

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 18:39:56 -0500, DreadfulBitch
> wrote:

> On 7/2/2014 6:18 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
> > perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
> > http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936
> >

> I was unable to watch the video - "Unable to play the content. Try
> again." Trying again didn't work.

Sorry it didn't work for you. Not sure what the problem was, do you
have a java blocker installed and need to allow the site?

> I will say that the best Pizza Margherita I've ever eaten was in a small
> town outside Venice, Italy. Made all the varieties we have here in the
> US pale by comparison.

I hated what I saw in Naples so much that I didn't want to order one
when we were there. Ordered a different pizza in Venice and wasn't
impressed. The pizza I liked best over there was in Sicily. The
crust was a bit too thick for me, but the it was passable over all.
Crust is my big thing and I've decided I prefer (my own) California
style thin crust.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 18:59:56 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 17:00:11 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> yeah but the dozens of advertising addresses seemed to pop by and load
> >> just
> >> fine.

> > I have ad blockers, so I saw none of that sh*t.
> >

> I am not sure I saw it either, but the lower left bar showed all these add
> sites in rapid succession. What is all that junk?

No idea, my feed was clean.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 17:52:21 -0700 (PDT), Timo >
wrote:

> On Thursday, July 3, 2014 10:24:04 AM UTC+10, wrote:
> >
> > Same here, so what in the world does a perforated pizza peel do for
> > the chef?

> Advertising would have it that the holes reduce friction, which isn't true. Holes will reduce the "suction cup effect", which is the probable source of that claim. The other practical effects are that excess flour will fall through the holes, and the peel is lighter.
>
> Metal peels might also be driven by food safety inspectors being down on wood in commercial kitchens.

That's not what the video said.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 18:02:50 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

> food safety inspectors would surely prefer a solid metal peel to a
> perforated peel.

Why?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 21:15:33 -0500, DreadfulBitch
> wrote:

> On 7/2/2014 7:08 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> > "sf" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
> >> perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
> >> http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936
> >>

> > what is the sense? you don't cook on a peel.
> >

> I looked it up on another site. The claim is that the perforations keep
> excess flour from being carried to the oven where it could burn and
> produce a bitter taste.
>
> A google search also brought up a site with instructions on how to make
> your own perforated peel.

Yes! Glad you took the time to look.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 21:37:32 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote...
> >
> > http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936

> That looks more like a shallow bowl of tomato soup than a pizza. Way,
> way too much sauce, IMO.

You've never seen a pizza margherita up close and in person? The man
featured in the video runs a well known pizzeria that makes just about
every known style of pizza. http://tonyspizzanapoletana.com/

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 18:55:59 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

> "pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> > "sf" > wrote...
> >>
> >> http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936

> > That looks more like a shallow bowl of tomato soup than a pizza. Way, way
> > too much sauce, IMO.
> >

> that pizza looks lousy for a number of reasons.

It is a good representation of a pizza margharita, which is something
I don't like. I've tried, but it's just too blah for me.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 21:15:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 7/2/2014 7:18 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
> > perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
> > http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936
> >

> What is the advantage? The peel is just a conveying tool. Slide off
> into the oven, slide the peel under to take it out, then slide it off
> again. I don't see how perforations would change anything of the wood
> works.

Did you watch the video and listen to what he said? I have a wooden
peel and I have a cookie sheet that I've used as a metal peel. Based
on my experience with them, I want one with holes in it too. I found
a metal peel on the Target site that's under $20. I will buy it or
something similar and then persuade a certain person close to me to
drill big holes in it.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 18:02:50 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
> wrote:
>
>> food safety inspectors would surely prefer a solid metal peel to a
>> perforated peel.
>>

> Why?

little spaces for the cooties to hide.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 21:15:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 7/2/2014 7:18 PM, sf wrote:
>> >
>> > Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
>> > perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
>> > http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936
>> >

>> What is the advantage? The peel is just a conveying tool. Slide off
>> into the oven, slide the peel under to take it out, then slide it off
>> again. I don't see how perforations would change anything of the wood
>> works.

> Did you watch the video and listen to what he said? I have a wooden
> peel and I have a cookie sheet that I've used as a metal peel. Based
> on my experience with them, I want one with holes in it too. I found
> a metal peel on the Target site that's under $20. I will buy it or
> something similar and then persuade a certain person close to me to
> drill big holes in it.

did you read that the video doesn't work for many of us? so, of course we
didn't watch or listen.

Based on my experience with a wooden peel, I think there are a lot of people
lacking experience.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 18:39:56 -0500, DreadfulBitch
>> > wrote:

>>>I was unable to watch the video - "Unable to play the content. Try
>>>again." Trying again didn't work.
>>>

>> Same here.
>>

>yeah but the dozens of advertising addresses seemed to pop by and load just
>fine.

Not for me. I use Adblock Plus!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 17:13:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
> > perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
> > http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936

> I have seen them. I have no peel. But what is the purpose of the
> perforations? Since you don't bake it on the peel...

You weren't able to view it either? It's explained in the video.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 11:02:50 AM UTC+10, Pico Rico wrote:

> food safety inspectors would surely prefer a solid metal peel to a
> perforated peel.

Yes, surely. But if perforated metal meets the rules, perforated metal will be acceptable. Don't know of any place where perforated metal is a no-no, but it's possible, since "smooth, impervious, free of cracks and crevices, nonporous, nonabsorbent, nonreactive, corrosion resistant, nontoxic, and cleanable" or similar is common for food contact surfaces, and somebody could decide that holes make it fail a few of those.

Some places, wooden handles on pizza peels aren't acceptable, let alone wooden pizza peels.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 19:51:54 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 21:15:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 7/2/2014 7:18 PM, sf wrote:
>> >
>> > Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
>> > perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
>> > http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936
>> >

>> What is the advantage? The peel is just a conveying tool. Slide off
>> into the oven, slide the peel under to take it out, then slide it off
>> again. I don't see how perforations would change anything of the wood
>> works.

>Did you watch the video and listen to what he said? I have a wooden
>peel and I have a cookie sheet that I've used as a metal peel. Based
>on my experience with them, I want one with holes in it too. I found
>a metal peel on the Target site that's under $20. I will buy it or
>something similar and then persuade a certain person close to me to
>drill big holes in it.

Like other's experience, the video did not play so I have no idea. Why
not tell us?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 17:13:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
>> > perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
>> > http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936

>> I have seen them. I have no peel. But what is the purpose of the
>> perforations? Since you don't bake it on the peel...

> You weren't able to view it either? It's explained in the video.

It wouldn't play for me either.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/2/14, 10:15 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:

> I looked it up on another site. The claim is that the perforations keep
> excess flour from being carried to the oven where it could burn and
> produce a bitter taste.

You shouldn't have excess flour on your dough anyway. Any such should
fall off when you transfer the dough to the peel, and either the peel
should be dusted heavily with corn meal, or you should be using
parchment paper.

> A google search also brought up a site with instructions on how to make
> your own perforated peel.

I wouldn't take a perforated peel as a gift. If the dough is soft enough
and the holes large enough, the dough will sag into the holes and not
slide off easily. Plus, aluminum peels never remain perfectly flat. The
edges of the holes will deform and snag the dough, again preventing it
from sliding.

IMO, it's a bad idea, period.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 18:51:30 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 18:39:56 -0500, DreadfulBitch
> wrote:
>
>>On 7/2/2014 6:18 PM, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
>>> perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
>>> http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936
>>>

>>I was unable to watch the video - "Unable to play the content. Try
>>again." Trying again didn't work.
>>

>Same here.
>
>John Kuthe...

A perforated pizza peel is just another gimmick to pick the pinhead's
wallets, and add kitchen klutter. Use a perforated pizza pan (or
pizza screen) and you'll need no pizza peel and no pizza stone... a
pizza stone for a home oven is also a gimmick, you cannot turn a home
oven into a brick oven, can't be done, only the bricks for brains
believe they can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/3/2014 12:30 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> A perforated pizza peel is just another gimmick to pick the pinhead's
> wallets, and add kitchen klutter. Use a perforated pizza pan (or
> pizza screen) and you'll need no pizza peel and no pizza stone... a
> pizza stone for a home oven is also a gimmick, you cannot turn a home
> oven into a brick oven, can't be done, only the bricks for brains
> believe they can.

Some people really seem to love pizza and make it often. They're the
ones who want these things. I don't think about pizza enough to care
one way or the other.

My middle brother used to try to give me foodie gifts. I'm really not
into all that stuff/gadgets. Years ago he gave me a pizza stone. He
probably he saw it on some cooking show. I had your basic, garden
variety apartment electric stove/oven. It worked fine but it was
nothing to write home about. I tried to use the pizza stone but even
with a good sprinkling of cornmeal, the dough/crust stuck like crazy.
It sure didn't do that when baked on a nicely seasoned heavy pizza pan.
Of course you have to oil the pan.

I had one of those perforated pizza pans at one time. I really only
found them to work well with frozen pizza. But frozen pizza is not what
sf is talking about.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 7:18:13 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
>
> perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!
>
> http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936

In case you're interested, I have been baking my pizzas on
these things for some time now. No peel necessary.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/3223...zza-disks.html

Gives me a reasonably crispy crust in the lower part of a hot home
oven without having to heat up pizza stones / quarry tiles for an hour.

Wetter, thinner dough, no 2nd rise, hot-hot oven for a "thin-crust"
pizza. Drier, thicker dough, let it rise a little bit for a second
time, not-as-hot oven for a "thick-crust" pizza. I like 'em both ways.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 19:52:08 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 18:02:50 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> food safety inspectors would surely prefer a solid metal peel to a
> >> perforated peel.
> >>

> > Why?

> little spaces for the cooties to hide.

Apparently they don't have a problem with them, because the person who
demonstrated it owns a well known pizza joint on Washington Square.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 7:18:13 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
>> Didn't know they existed until I saw this episode, but it makes
>>
>> perfect sense to me and now I want a perforated pizza peel!

http://livewellnetwork.com/Good-Cook...herita/8368936

>In case you're interested, I have been baking my pizzas on
>these things for some time now. No peel necessary.
>http://www.webstaurantstore.com/3223...zza-disks.html
>
>Gives me a reasonably crispy crust in the lower part of a hot home
>oven without having to heat up pizza stones / quarry tiles for an hour.
>
>Wetter, thinner dough, no 2nd rise, hot-hot oven for a "thin-crust"
>pizza. Drier, thicker dough, let it rise a little bit for a second
>time, not-as-hot oven for a "thick-crust" pizza. I like 'em both ways.

Some 25 years ago I bought the Chicago Metallic perforated pizza pan
with the matching deep dish pizza pan, came as a set then, even
included a pizza knife... never looked back, works great. I sometimes
use the perforated pan to bake pizza in my Weber. Nowadays I use the
perforated pan to bake frozen pizzas too... the premium brands are
very good and easy to doctor. If you serve your pizza with the
perforated pan atop the deep dish pan no condensation forms on the
bottom of the pizza crust like it does served on a plain pizza pan. I
don't care for deep dish pizza but that deep dish pan is
wonderful for baking a huge batch of sticky buns.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jul 2014 11:08:09 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 17:13:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> I have seen them. I have no peel. But what is the purpose of the
> >> perforations? Since you don't bake it on the peel...

> > You weren't able to view it either? It's explained in the video.

> It wouldn't play for me either.

I tried bother browsers and it played on both last night. Today, I
got the same error message everyone else got. Wish I knew what the
problem was, but I don't. I found a similar video on Youtube this
morning that I'll post in a new thread: same guy, same demonstration,
different video. He's hot and tired in this one and doesn't get into
the details he went into on the other one - but you can see a
perforated peel and he mentions why they use it. This one is a
standard perforated peel, but the one in the video you can't play
looks like someone drilled big holes in it and that's what I want.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.