Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quebec-style "BBQ" sauce (St Hugert or Chalet versions)

In Monteral, there are 2 chicken BBQ restaurants worth a detour
Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke West next to the Decarie Expressway, and the St
Hubert BBQ chain.

I have been trying to find a recipe for their BBQ sauces
It should be noted that these sauces are nothing like the US BBQ sauces
since they do NOT use a tomato base for them
They are really a light-brown, peppery/savory sauce

The St Hubert sauce can be bought in ready-mix packets.
But I would like to learn to make my own from scratch

Posted to rec.food.cooking

SaPeIsMa > wrote:

>I have been trying to find a recipe for their BBQ sauces
>It should be noted that these sauces are nothing like the US BBQ sauces
>since they do NOT use a tomato base for them
>They are really a light-brown, peppery/savory sauce

Are they in the direction of a gravy?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:05:30 +0000 (UTC), (Steve Pope)
wrote:

-->SaPeIsMa > wrote:
-->
-->>I have been trying to find a recipe for their BBQ sauces
-->>It should be noted that these sauces are nothing like the US BBQ sauces
-->>since they do NOT use a tomato base for them
-->>They are really a light-brown, peppery/savory sauce
-->
-->Are they in the direction of a gravy?
-->
-->Steve

Velouté sauce

If you'd like a poutine sauce where you have a little more control over what
comes out, here's a basic sauce which you can use as a base. While you could
use it for a poutine sauce as described, you should at least add salt and
pepper to taste.

1 quart stock: chicken or veal
2 ounces flour
2 ounces butter or oil
Bring the stock to a boil in a saucepan.

Combine the fat and flour, cook over high heat, stirring until you have a pale
roux (2-3 minutes).

Whip the roux into the stock. Simmer (30-40 min), skimming the surface every
5-10 minutes. Strain the sauce through a chinois or strainer lined with
cheesecloth. Salt and pepper to taste.

The above is the recipe for the Velouté sauce, which is the base for the
poutine sauce. To make it into a poutine sauce, reduce it by a factor of 2-4
over medium heat. You can also try one of the following modifications:

Modifications :

Add 2 Tsp of pepper to the roux before adding to the stock, for an
extra-peppery sauce. Floor-sweeping pepper (the kind sold pre-ground, in bulk)
is preferred by classicists.
Add 2 Tsp of fresh ground green peppercorns to the stock while reducing.
Prior to adding the stock, dice 1 small sweet onion into the saucepan, add 2
TBsps of balsamic vinegar, and reduce.

Enjoy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> SaPeIsMa > wrote:
>
>>I have been trying to find a recipe for their BBQ sauces
>>It should be noted that these sauces are nothing like the US BBQ sauces
>>since they do NOT use a tomato base for them
>>They are really a light-brown, peppery/savory sauce

> Are they in the direction of a gravy?

I have no idea what you mean by that
But I do know that the sauce is made separate from the process of roasting
the chicken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"__ Stu __" > wrote in message
news
> -->SaPeIsMa > wrote:
>
> I have been trying to find a recipe for their BBQ sauces
> It should be noted that these sauces are nothing like the US BBQ sauces
> since they do NOT use a tomato base for them
> They are really a light-brown, peppery/savory sauce

> Velouté sauce
>
> If you'd like a poutine sauce where you have a little more control over
> what
> comes out, here's a basic sauce which you can use as a base. While you
> could
> use it for a poutine sauce as described, you should at least add salt and
> pepper to taste.
>
> 1 quart stock: chicken or veal
> 2 ounces flour
> 2 ounces butter or oil
> Bring the stock to a boil in a saucepan.
>
> Combine the fat and flour, cook over high heat, stirring until you have a
> pale
> roux (2-3 minutes).
>
> Whip the roux into the stock. Simmer (30-40 min), skimming the surface
> every
> 5-10 minutes. Strain the sauce through a chinois or strainer lined with
> cheesecloth. Salt and pepper to taste.
>
> The above is the recipe for the Velouté sauce, which is the base for the
> poutine sauce. To make it into a poutine sauce, reduce it by a factor of
> 2-4
> over medium heat. You can also try one of the following modifications:
>
> Modifications :
>
> Add 2 Tsp of pepper to the roux before adding to the stock, for an
> extra-peppery sauce. Floor-sweeping pepper (the kind sold pre-ground, in
> bulk)
> is preferred by classicists.
> Add 2 Tsp of fresh ground green peppercorns to the stock while reducing.
> Prior to adding the stock, dice 1 small sweet onion into the saucepan, add
> 2
> TBsps of balsamic vinegar, and reduce.

Thanks
I will try this and compare when I use up my last packets of St Hubert BBQ
sauce, that I bought on my last trip to Montreal

I was hoping to come up with a dry mix where you only need to add water and
bring to a boil.
But I guess that's for later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article t>,
"SaPeIsMa" > wrote:

> In Monteral, there are 2 chicken BBQ restaurants worth a detour
> Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke West next to the Decarie Expressway, and the St
> Hubert BBQ chain.
>
> I have been trying to find a recipe for their BBQ sauces
> It should be noted that these sauces are nothing like the US BBQ sauces
> since they do NOT use a tomato base for them
> They are really a light-brown, peppery/savory sauce

OK, I got curious, so I did some google hunting, and found the St.
Huberts web site with menus. From their menu:

Ribs
Generously basted with you choice
of sauce:

The ST-HUBERT
SPICY TOMATO FLAVOUR

The SOUTHWEST
SMOKEY CARAMEL FLAVOUR

So, from my Missouri perspective, I am no only confused but intrigued.
Can you tell me which of these sauces you are pursuing and perhaps a
little more on the sauce itself?

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jt august > wrote in
:

>> In Monteral, there are 2 chicken BBQ restaurants worth a detour
>> Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke West next to the Decarie Expressway, and
>> the St Hubert BBQ chain.

Swiss Chalet / Chalet suisse is not a Montréal restaurant. The first Swiss
Chalet was located on the corner of Bloor and Bedford in Toronto and opened
its doors in 1954. They have branches all over Eastern Canada but they are
a poor cousin to St-Hubert in terms of market penetration.

Les rotisseries St-Hubert grew out of a single restaurant in Montréal which
was located, no surprise there, on rue St-Hubert and which opened its doors
on 1951-09-25. When we drove in to Montréal we would hear their goofy
radio ad which promoted their home delivery and went thus:

Drindrindrin Que désirez-vous?
Poutpoutpout St-Hubert Barbecue

(Don't try translating this without an adult present)

Ah, the advantage of having lived through interesting times ;-)

It is principally a Québec firm (with branches in Ontario and New Brunswick
where francophones live). It is now directed by the Groupe St-Hubert that
also oversees the production of their line of food products which are sold
in grocery stores. St-Hubert is a success story in the chain restaurant
world.

St-Hubert sauce is available in cans in most Québec grocery stores.

--

“Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid
people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.”

-John Stuart Mill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:

> It is principally a Québec firm (with branches in Ontario and New Brunswick
> where francophones live). It is now directed by the Groupe St-Hubert that
> also oversees the production of their line of food products which are sold
> in grocery stores. St-Hubert is a success story in the chain restaurant
> world.
>
> St-Hubert sauce is available in cans in most Québec grocery stores.

There was a St.Hubert outlet in St.Catharines for a short time. I was
sad to see that it closed down in less than a year. I always thought
their chicken was great.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 18:07:05 -0600, "SaPeIsMa" >
wrote:

>"__ Stu __" > wrote in message
>news >
>> -->SaPeIsMa > wrote:
>>
>> I have been trying to find a recipe for their BBQ sauces
>> It should be noted that these sauces are nothing like the US BBQ sauces
>> since they do NOT use a tomato base for them
>> They are really a light-brown, peppery/savory sauce

>> Velouté sauce
>>
>> If you'd like a poutine sauce where you have a little more control over
>> what
>> comes out, here's a basic sauce which you can use as a base. While you
>> could
>> use it for a poutine sauce as described, you should at least add salt and
>> pepper to taste.
>>
>> 1 quart stock: chicken or veal
>> 2 ounces flour
>> 2 ounces butter or oil
>> Bring the stock to a boil in a saucepan.
>>
>> Combine the fat and flour, cook over high heat, stirring until you have a
>> pale
>> roux (2-3 minutes).
>>
>> Whip the roux into the stock. Simmer (30-40 min), skimming the surface
>> every
>> 5-10 minutes. Strain the sauce through a chinois or strainer lined with
>> cheesecloth. Salt and pepper to taste.
>>
>> The above is the recipe for the Velouté sauce, which is the base for the
>> poutine sauce. To make it into a poutine sauce, reduce it by a factor of
>> 2-4
>> over medium heat. You can also try one of the following modifications:
>>
>> Modifications :
>>
>> Add 2 Tsp of pepper to the roux before adding to the stock, for an
>> extra-peppery sauce. Floor-sweeping pepper (the kind sold pre-ground, in
>> bulk)
>> is preferred by classicists.
>> Add 2 Tsp of fresh ground green peppercorns to the stock while reducing.
>> Prior to adding the stock, dice 1 small sweet onion into the saucepan, add
>> 2
>> TBsps of balsamic vinegar, and reduce.
>>

>Thanks
>I will try this and compare when I use up my last packets of St Hubert BBQ
>sauce, that I bought on my last trip to Montreal
>
>I was hoping to come up with a dry mix where you only need to add water and
>bring to a boil.
> But I guess that's for later.

You'll find just what you're looking for he

https://www.grocerycheckout.com/defa...ategoryID=1197

bbdimples
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jt august" > wrote in message
> In article t>,
> "SaPeIsMa" > wrote:
>
>> In Monteral, there are 2 chicken BBQ restaurants worth a detour
>> Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke West next to the Decarie Expressway, and the
>> St
>> Hubert BBQ chain.
>>
>> I have been trying to find a recipe for their BBQ sauces
>> It should be noted that these sauces are nothing like the US BBQ sauces
>> since they do NOT use a tomato base for them
>> They are really a light-brown, peppery/savory sauce

> OK, I got curious, so I did some google hunting, and found the St.
> Huberts web site with menus. From their menu:
>
> Ribs
> Generously basted with you choice
> of sauce:
>
> The ST-HUBERT
> SPICY TOMATO FLAVOUR
>
> The SOUTHWEST
> SMOKEY CARAMEL FLAVOUR
>

> So, from my Missouri perspective, I am no only confused but intrigued.
> Can you tell me which of these sauces you are pursuing and perhaps a
> little more on the sauce itself?

Neither
The above seem to be recent additions since they started doing BBQ ribs
When I first encountered St Hubert, they were doing chickent ONLY

The St Hubert BBQ sauce is a light brown, nearly translucent
If memory serves, there should not be even a hint of tomato in it.

I found this
http://www.st-hubert.com/EN/Home
The images rotate to one with chicken, fries,coleslaw, bun and the sauce
in a white styrofoam container. That is their standard/traditional roast
chicken dish.
http://www.st-hubert.com/pasth.com/e...t-hubert.shtml
(The first 2 are the ones that interest me)

More info in St Hubert
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St-Hubert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> jt august > wrote in
> :
>
>>> In Monteral, there are 2 chicken BBQ restaurants worth a detour
>>> Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke West next to the Decarie Expressway, and
>>> the St Hubert BBQ chain.

> Swiss Chalet / Chalet suisse is not a Montréal restaurant. The first
> Swiss
> Chalet was located on the corner of Bloor and Bedford in Toronto and
> opened
> its doors in 1954. They have branches all over Eastern Canada but they
> are
> a poor cousin to St-Hubert in terms of market penetration.

But I'm not talking about the Swiss Chalet Chain.
I'm talking about a restaurant called Chalet BBQ which has nothing to do
with Swiss Chalet.
http://www.chaletbbq.com/

> Les rotisseries St-Hubert grew out of a single restaurant in Montréal
> which
> was located, no surprise there, on rue St-Hubert and which opened its
> doors
> on 1951-09-25. When we drove in to Montréal we would hear their goofy
> radio ad which promoted their home delivery and went thus:
>
> Drindrindrin Que désirez-vous?
> Poutpoutpout St-Hubert Barbecue
>
> (Don't try translating this without an adult present)

It's
Ring, Ring Ring, What do you desire
Cluck, Cluck, Cluck, St Hubert BBQ
It works in French because the Onomatopeia are part of the French vocabulary
of Quebec.
Although it's quite possible that those ads created the onomatopeia 50
odd years ago..
:-))

> Ah, the advantage of having lived through interesting times ;-)
>
> It is principally a Québec firm (with branches in Ontario and New
> Brunswick
> where francophones live). It is now directed by the Groupe St-Hubert that
> also oversees the production of their line of food products which are sold
> in grocery stores. St-Hubert is a success story in the chain restaurant
> world.
>
> St-Hubert sauce is available in cans in most Québec grocery stores.

Trouble is that I'm more than 1200 miles (as the crow flies) from Quebec
My supply of powdered sauce is running out, and I would like to see if
someone has come up with a recipe for it.
(Reverse engineering a recipe is not one of my skills.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SaPeIsMa" > wrote in news:goydndmh-dRlP7
ternet:

> But I'm not talking about the Swiss Chalet Chain.
> I'm talking about a restaurant called Chalet BBQ which has nothing to do
> with Swiss Chalet.

http://www.chaletbbq.com/

Ok, not one I am familiar with, but then again I am not a roasted chicken
connoisseur.

--

“Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid
people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.”

-John Stuart Mill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SaPeIsMa" > wrote in
:

> It's
> Ring, Ring Ring, What do you desire
> Cluck, Cluck, Cluck, St Hubert BBQ
> It works in French because the Onomatopeia are part of the French
> vocabulary of Quebec.

Wow...something works in French because the words are in French? How is
that possible? :-)

--

“Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid
people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.”

-John Stuart Mill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
. ..
> "SaPeIsMa" > wrote in news:goydndmh-dRlP7
> ternet:
>
>> But I'm not talking about the Swiss Chalet Chain.
>> I'm talking about a restaurant called Chalet BBQ which has nothing to do
>> with Swiss Chalet.

http://www.chaletbbq.com/

> Ok, not one I am familiar with, but then again I am not a roasted chicken
> connoisseur.

Well, if ever you go to Montreal, plan a pilgrimage.
And call ahead to find out how long the queue is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> "SaPeIsMa" > wrote in
> :
>
>> It's
>> Ring, Ring Ring, What do you desire
>> Cluck, Cluck, Cluck, St Hubert BBQ
>> It works in French because the Onomatopeia are part of the French
>> vocabulary of Quebec.

> Wow...something works in French because the words are in French? How is
> that possible? :-)

Are we being a tad sarcastic ?
-b

For people who speak multiple languages, it's fun to come across the
different onomatopeia used for the same sound.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SaPeIsMa" > wrote in
:

>>> But I'm not talking about the Swiss Chalet Chain.
>>> I'm talking about a restaurant called Chalet BBQ which has nothing
>>> to do with Swiss Chalet.
>>> http://www.chaletbbq.com/

>> Ok, not one I am familiar with, but then again I am not a roasted
>> chicken connoisseur.
>>

> Well, if ever you go to Montreal, plan a pilgrimage.
> And call ahead to find out how long the queue is.

I got to Montréal about four to six times a year but usually for family
functions. Not a lot of leeway to sample the local poultry palaces.
Saint-Hub' on the other hand has outlets here in the Outaouais.

--

“Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid
people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.”

-John Stuart Mill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
. ..
> "SaPeIsMa" > wrote in
> :

>>> Ok, not one I am familiar with, but then again I am not a roasted
>>> chicken connoisseur.
>>>

>> Well, if ever you go to Montreal, plan a pilgrimage.
>> And call ahead to find out how long the queue is.

> I got to Montréal about four to six times a year but usually for family
> functions. Not a lot of leeway to sample the local poultry palaces.
> Saint-Hub' on the other hand has outlets here in the Outaouais.

Pilgrimages means taking the family too...
;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SaPeIsMa" > wrote in
ernet:

>> I got to Montr‚al about four to six times a year but usually for family
>> functions. Not a lot of leeway to sample the local poultry palaces.
>> Saint-Hub' on the other hand has outlets here in the Outaouais.

> Pilgrimages means taking the family too...;-)

No, you misunderstood. I have family there. When I go it is for a
function which is organized by uncles, aunts and cousins and, so far (and
by that I mean for the last 62 years), restaurant chicken has never been on
the menu.

And to use a time-honoured Montréal complaint: Cé bin loin, çà...faut
prendre le métro...

--

“Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid
people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.”

-John Stuart Mill
Member

The English version of the commercvial was, Ring a ling a ling that's all you do
put put put
St. Hubert... Bar.... Ba ...Kew (For their delivery service) showing a wee yellow VW with the sign on top.

There was a good one on St. Catherine across from where the busses turned and the Children's hospital it had a face smoking a cigarettte that spurted water in the winter when it was too cold for the styeem. Oh my the words some of those4 young ladies used when it spat on their heads.

There are many more than 2 BBQ in Montreal serving great chicken... Chicken Charlies, Cote St Luc, and a great one at Sourcesd Rd that used real wood furnace, and also a branch office for Cote St Luc.
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Au Coq in Anjou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 29, 2009 at 7:10:22 AM UTC-8, Michel Boucher wrote:
> jt august > wrote in
> :
>
> >> In Monteral, there are 2 chicken BBQ restaurants worth a detour
> >> Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke West next to the Decarie Expressway, and
> >> the St Hubert BBQ chain.

> Swiss Chalet / Chalet suisse is not a Montr�al restaurant. The first Swiss
> Chalet was located on the corner of Bloor and Bedford in Toronto and opened
> its doors in 1954. They have branches all over Eastern Canada but they are
> a poor cousin to St-Hubert in terms of market penetration.
>
> Les rotisseries St-Hubert grew out of a single restaurant in Montr�al which
> was located, no surprise there, on rue St-Hubert and which opened its doors
> on 1951-09-25. When we drove in to Montr�al we would hear their goofy
> radio ad which promoted their home delivery and went thus:
>
> Drindrindrin Que d�sirez-vous?
> Poutpoutpout St-Hubert Barbecue
>
> (Don't try translating this without an adult present)
>
> Ah, the advantage of having lived through interesting times ;-)
>
> It is principally a Qu�bec firm (with branches in Ontario and New Brunswick
> where francophones live). It is now directed by the Groupe St-Hubert that
> also oversees the production of their line of food products which are sold
> in grocery stores. St-Hubert is a success story in the chain restaurant
> world.
>
> St-Hubert sauce is available in cans in most Qu�bec grocery stores.
>
> --
>
> �Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid
> people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.�
>
> -John Stuart Mill

That's a very stupid generalization. You must be a Lib_tard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 2:38:50 PM UTC, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/20/2018 4:46 AM, wa wa wrote:
> > On Sunday, November 29, 2009 at 7:10:22 AM UTC-8, Michel Boucher wrote:
> >> jt august > wrote in
> >> :

> <snipped a bunch of old crap>
>
> > That's a very stupid generalization. You must be a Lib_tard
> >

> You're obviously a 'tard for replying to a post from 2009.
>
> Jill

you quoted J Mill from 1993. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 28, 2009 at 11:52:52 AM UTC-5, SaPeIsMa wrote:
> In Monteral, there are 2 chicken BBQ restaurants worth a detour
> Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke West next to the Decarie Expressway, and the St
> Hubert BBQ chain.
>
> I have been trying to find a recipe for their BBQ sauces
> It should be noted that these sauces are nothing like the US BBQ sauces
> since they do NOT use a tomato base for them
> They are really a light-brown, peppery/savory sauce
>
> The St Hubert sauce can be bought in ready-mix packets.
> But I would like to learn to make my own from scratch

There are copy cat recipes online. Here we have Swiss Chalet which makes a really good sauce. St. Hubert opened up here in my city of Kitchener, but didn't make it. They had good food at a good price, but I think people here are loyal to Swiss Chalet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-26 5:06 p.m., A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Saturday, November 28, 2009 at 11:52:52 AM UTC-5, SaPeIsMa wrote:

>> The St Hubert sauce can be bought in ready-mix packets. But I would
>> like to learn to make my own from scratch

> There are copy cat recipes online. Here we have Swiss Chalet which
> makes a really good sauce. St. Hubert opened up here in my city of
> Kitchener, but didn't make it. They had good food at a good price,
> but I think people here are loyal to Swiss Chalet.

There was one in a nearby city maybe 30 years ago but the company's
attempt to expand this way seems to have fizzled. It's too bad. It is
good stuff. I thought it was better than Swiss Chalet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 5:19:23 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-09-26 5:06 p.m., A Moose in Love wrote:
> > On Saturday, November 28, 2009 at 11:52:52 AM UTC-5, SaPeIsMa wrote:

> >> The St Hubert sauce can be bought in ready-mix packets. But I would
> >> like to learn to make my own from scratch

> > There are copy cat recipes online. Here we have Swiss Chalet which
> > makes a really good sauce. St. Hubert opened up here in my city of
> > Kitchener, but didn't make it. They had good food at a good price,
> > but I think people here are loyal to Swiss Chalet.
> >

> There was one in a nearby city maybe 30 years ago but the company's
> attempt to expand this way seems to have fizzled. It's too bad. It is
> good stuff. I thought it was better than Swiss Chalet.

We had a similar thing happen when Krispy Kreme started operations in Kitchener. I thought they had a very good product. But they didn't make it. Once again, brand loyalty may have been the issue: Tim Horton's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-26 5:54 p.m., A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 5:19:23 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith

>> There was one in a nearby city maybe 30 years ago but the
>> company's attempt to expand this way seems to have fizzled. It's
>> too bad. It is good stuff. I thought it was better than Swiss
>> Chalet.

> We had a similar thing happen when Krispy Kreme started operations in
> Kitchener. I thought they had a very good product. But they didn't
> make it. Once again, brand loyalty may have been the issue: Tim
> Horton's.

The closest one to use was in the north end of Mississauga. It was
there about 20 years ago. Their store locator says there are three in
Toronto. For a short time they were selling packages of their donuts in
a couple local stores, but that was a brief experiment. Personally, I
don't like Krispy Kreme donuts. They are way too sweet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 11:54:32 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:

> We had a similar thing happen when Krispy Kreme started operations in Kitchener. I thought they had a very good product. But they didn't make it. Once again, brand loyalty may have been the issue: Tim Horton's.

The Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme. Unfortunately, there's only one in the state and it's on the island of Maui. If they was to open one on Oahu, then Hawaii would truly be a paradise. As it goes, when people go to Maui, they have to bring back to Oahu a box or boxes of Krispy Kreme.

Let me tell you, when the Hawaiian humidity hits the sugar glaze on those doughnuts, it immediately starts getting sticky. After a short while that beautiful glaze is a gooey mess. I find it rather unappealing. The only way to get a proper KK is to fly over to Maui and get one. If I was a disgustingly rich asshole, I'd fly over there right now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> The Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme. Unfortunately, there's only one in the state and it's on the island of Maui.

Funny. Think about what you just said. If Hawaiians like Krispy
Kreme, like in MANY hawaiians, there would be several on each
island. Especially on popular tourist Oahu.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> We had a similar thing happen when Krispy Kreme started operations in Kitchener. I thought they had a very good product. But they didn't make it. Once again, brand loyalty may have been the issue: Tim Horton's.

Just know that Krispy Kreme here in my area (several) do actually
make them theirselves. They make them each night in the late
night hours. I worked in one one weekend night (painting for
them). Not all stores make them but I know of 2 that do.

It was an interesting work night. I was told about and got to see
them made. It's all automated too - large room with machinery and
conveyor belts.

They they were making all glazed donuts while was there. They
dump in 50lb bags of flour, sugar and whatever they use into a
large vat then turn on the machine. It mixed up the dough, shapes
the donuts, fries them in oil, cools them somewhat (via large
belt) then sprays them with the glaze mix.

At the end of the belt, a couple of humans pick out and box the
good looking ones. The defects get tossed into a large trashcan
lined with a plastic garbage bag. Once full, those trash bags are
tossed into their dumpster and a local pig farmer has a contract
to come and get them to feed to his animals.

While we worked there, we were welcome to eat as much defective
ones as we wanted to (only defect was not perfectly round). Well,
although tasty, eat too much and you soon feel like you never
want to see another damn donut EVER! lol

Same thing happened to me that summer of 1971 when I worked at a
KFC. Was told I could eat all the chicken I wanted to while I was
on the clock working. A dream come true but after about a week or
two, I never ate any more. Never even went to a KFC for a few
years after either.

Interesting too about Krispy Kreme is that the federal ATF comes
once a month to audit them. Since they buy so much sugar, they
want to make sure all that sugar was used for donuts and not some
siphoned off to make moonshine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> We had a similar thing happen when Krispy Kreme started operations in Kitchener. I thought they had a very good product. But they didn't make it. Once again, brand loyalty may have been the issue: Tim Horton's.

One more comment about the KK donuts. If you like a glazed donut,
find a place that makes them right on location. Go after midnight
and get some right off the assembly line. Still warm from cooking
and that glaze they put on them is like clear melted butter. Not
white like when they cool down. The warm, fresh donuts are so
soft, almost like cotton candy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 8:04:04 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
> >
> > We had a similar thing happen when Krispy Kreme started operations in Kitchener. I thought they had a very good product. But they didn't make it. Once again, brand loyalty may have been the issue: Tim Horton's.

> Just know that Krispy Kreme here in my area (several) do actually
> make them theirselves. They make them each night in the late
> night hours. I worked in one one weekend night (painting for
> them). Not all stores make them but I know of 2 that do.

I meant 'they didn't make it' meaning that the business flopped. Went under. Kaput.

> It was an interesting work night. I was told about and got to see
> them made. It's all automated too - large room with machinery and
> conveyor belts.
>
> They they were making all glazed donuts while was there. They
> dump in 50lb bags of flour, sugar and whatever they use into a
> large vat then turn on the machine. It mixed up the dough, shapes
> the donuts, fries them in oil, cools them somewhat (via large
> belt) then sprays them with the glaze mix.
>
> At the end of the belt, a couple of humans pick out and box the
> good looking ones. The defects get tossed into a large trashcan
> lined with a plastic garbage bag. Once full, those trash bags are
> tossed into their dumpster and a local pig farmer has a contract
> to come and get them to feed to his animals.
>
> While we worked there, we were welcome to eat as much defective
> ones as we wanted to (only defect was not perfectly round). Well,
> although tasty, eat too much and you soon feel like you never
> want to see another damn donut EVER! lol
>
> Same thing happened to me that summer of 1971 when I worked at a
> KFC. Was told I could eat all the chicken I wanted to while I was
> on the clock working. A dream come true but after about a week or
> two, I never ate any more. Never even went to a KFC for a few
> years after either.
>
> Interesting too about Krispy Kreme is that the federal ATF comes
> once a month to audit them. Since they buy so much sugar, they
> want to make sure all that sugar was used for donuts and not some
> siphoned off to make moonshine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-09-30 8:04 a.m., Gary wrote:

> Interesting too about Krispy Kreme is that the federal ATF comes
> once a month to audit them. Since they buy so much sugar, they
> want to make sure all that sugar was used for donuts and not some
> siphoned off to make moonshine.

It is interesting to see trends changing. Back in the late 60s and early
70s there were a number of donut shop chains that started up and were
making a wide variety of donuts at each location. Tim Hortons was like
that. There were a few where one fanchisee had two or more stores close
to each other and one would make all the donuts and deliver them to the
others. Some stores made better products that others. Now they are all
made at one large facility and par cooked and frozen for delivery to
stores where they would be baked. They are a poor substitute for the
real thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 10:27:52 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-09-30 8:04 a.m., Gary wrote:
>
> > Interesting too about Krispy Kreme is that the federal ATF comes
> > once a month to audit them. Since they buy so much sugar, they
> > want to make sure all that sugar was used for donuts and not some
> > siphoned off to make moonshine.

> It is interesting to see trends changing. Back in the late 60s and early
> 70s there were a number of donut shop chains that started up and were
> making a wide variety of donuts at each location. Tim Hortons was like
> that. There were a few where one fanchisee had two or more stores close
> to each other and one would make all the donuts and deliver them to the
> others. Some stores made better products that others. Now they are all
> made at one large facility and par cooked and frozen for delivery to
> stores where they would be baked. They are a poor substitute for the
> real thing.

I still get home made donuts once in a while. They are wonderful, and simple. Topped with only some cinnamon sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 08:04:36 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>A Moose in Love wrote:
>>
>> We had a similar thing happen when Krispy Kreme started operations in Kitchener. I thought they had a very good product. But they didn't make it. Once again, brand loyalty may have been the issue: Tim Horton's.

>One more comment about the KK donuts. If you like a glazed donut,
>find a place that makes them right on location. Go after midnight
>and get some right off the assembly line. Still warm from cooking
>and that glaze they put on them is like clear melted butter. Not
>white like when they cool down. The warm, fresh donuts are so
>soft, almost like cotton candy.

A French creuller is much better than KK.
https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_yl...g&action=close

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 7:04:04 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Just know that Krispy Kreme here in my area (several) do actually
> make them theirselves. They make them each night in the late
> night hours. I worked in one one weekend night (painting for
> them). Not all stores make them but I know of 2 that do.

There was a Krispy Kreme donut bakery about 2 miles from my house. They had
been in that location for _years._ Yes, you could see the donuts going
around and around a conveyor belt to cool every so slightly before getting
their coat of glaze. If you wanted hot donuts and not the ones in the display
case the clerk would go back and get however many you ordered right off the
glazing line. They were just under the temperature to burn your mouth and
oh soooooo good!

Ten or fifteen years ago they decided to close this store because they weren't
'making money.' Yeah, sure. This facility shipped to all the grocery stores
and drive-thru markets. What they wanted to do was move into a super ginormous
shopping center area to sell even more donuts. But that new location does not
make donuts, they're shipped from one of their other bakeries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 10:48:50 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> A French creuller is much better than KK.
> https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_yl...g&action=close

I like crullers and KK makes those as well as about 2 dozen other varieties and
flavors of donuts. A cruller is denser though and really not the same. But
my all-time favorite donut is just a plain cake donut. No powdered sugar,
no cinnamon sugar, just plain please. I guess it's that nutmeg that draws me
in and the cakey texture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 09:25:41 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 10:48:50 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> A French creuller is much better than KK.
>> https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_yl...g&action=close
>>

>I like crullers and KK makes those as well as about 2 dozen other varieties and
>flavors of donuts. A cruller is denser though and really not the same. But
>my all-time favorite donut is just a plain cake donut. No powdered sugar,
>no cinnamon sugar, just plain please. I guess it's that nutmeg that draws me
>in and the cakey texture.

I also prefer a cakey baked donut... Entenmanns has great devilsfood
donuts. My father spent 27 years driving a Dugan's Bakery truck until
they went out of business, we always had baked goods and especially
cakey donuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 2:03:45 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > The Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme. Unfortunately, there's only one in the state and it's on the island of Maui.

> Funny. Think about what you just said. If Hawaiians like Krispy
> Kreme, like in MANY hawaiians, there would be several on each
> island. Especially on popular tourist Oahu.

I have to wonder why you'd think how you think you know so much about this rock if you're thousands of miles away. I don't know a damn thing about where you live nor would I make comments or offer my analysis of your culture and business environment. That would be presumptuous.

I only report what the heck is going on this rock, as unlikely as it may seem. Going to Maui and bringing back Krispy Kreme is a thing over here. People will cart back large number of boxes of the stuff and sell it as fund-raisers for their clubs. I've never bought a box of imported KK but MANY Hawaiians have. I don't find an hours old KK doughnut to be that appealing.

OTOH, on my last trip to Maui, it was important that we visit this legendary temple to the gods of fat, carbs, and sugar. My guess is that the Kahului KK is a must see only for the locals. Visitors from the mainland would baulk at going to a doughnut shop during their Hawaiian vacation. That's a good thing. Don't come to Hawaii to visit no stinkin' doughnut shop! OTOH, I highly recommend Leonard's Bakery if you're on Oahu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ74T6qpuVQ