Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sharp knife problem solved

w00t!!

Both my two fave chef knives are now sharper than a Wall Street
metrosexual on Friday night. Some guy in town, allegedly also a chef,
got tired of trying to find a knife sharpening biz for his knives, so
bought a commercial grade Swiss water-stone sharpening machine and he
does sharpening of most everything as a sideline. Only cost me $5 per
knife and they are now scary sharp. He's partial to Solingen knives,
which these both are, so he took extra care. No more dicing tomatoes
from the pulp side. Yay!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2014 1:34 PM, notbob wrote:
> w00t!!
>
> Both my two fave chef knives are now sharper than a Wall Street
> metrosexual on Friday night. Some guy in town, allegedly also a chef,
> got tired of trying to find a knife sharpening biz for his knives, so
> bought a commercial grade Swiss water-stone sharpening machine and he
> does sharpening of most everything as a sideline. Only cost me $5 per
> knife and they are now scary sharp. He's partial to Solingen knives,
> which these both are, so he took extra care. No more dicing tomatoes
> from the pulp side. Yay!
>
> nb

Sharp knives, that makes such a difference. Glad you found someone to
sharpen yours. We have a couple of knife sharpeners that we use, the
latest one is a Presto EverSharp that has different slots. He has used
it, bit I have not. It does a good job.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 20, 2014 12:34:25 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
> w00t!!
>

> Both my two fave chef knives are now sharper than a Wall Street
>
> metrosexual on Friday night. Some guy in town, allegedly also a chef,
>
> got tired of trying to find a knife sharpening biz for his knives, so
>
> bought a commercial grade Swiss water-stone sharpening machine and he
>
> does sharpening of most everything as a sideline. Only cost me $5 per
>
> knife and they are now scary sharp. He's partial to Solingen knives,
>
> which these both are, so he took extra care. No more dicing tomatoes
>
> from the pulp side. Yay!
>

> nb

I love your analogy!!
My favorite knives are Hinkels. Sometimes DH or guests do something to them that messes up the edge. It takes a while, but I can get them back to where I want them. I use an Accusharp for day to day touch ups on the edge. I have a stone for when I have to get serious. My S-I-L has such crap for knives!! When I am going to be cooking at her house (Thanksgiving or Christmas) I take my own knives with me. Many years ago she was slicing a brisket, and I thought it was vary tender as she had no effort to slice it. Turns our she was slicing with the grain!! Simple is as simple does. But I love her.

DaleP
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> w00t!!
>
> Both my two fave chef knives are now sharper than a Wall Street
> metrosexual on Friday night. Some guy in town, allegedly also a chef,
> got tired of trying to find a knife sharpening biz for his knives, so
> bought a commercial grade Swiss water-stone sharpening machine and he
> does sharpening of most everything as a sideline. Only cost me $5 per
> knife and they are now scary sharp. He's partial to Solingen knives,
> which these both are, so he took extra care. No more dicing tomatoes
> from the pulp side. Yay!
>
> nb

I have a Chef's Choice that does a good job, but...I use the "Edge of Glory'
the most, one of those as seen on tv things and it works great.

Cheri

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by notbob View Post
w00t!!

Both my two fave chef knives are now sharper than a Wall Street
metrosexual on Friday night. Some guy in town, allegedly also a chef,
got tired of trying to find a knife sharpening biz for his knives, so
bought a commercial grade Swiss water-stone sharpening machine and he
does sharpening of most everything as a sideline. Only cost me $5 per
knife and they are now scary sharp. He's partial to Solingen knives,
which these both are, so he took extra care. No more dicing tomatoes
from the pulp side. Yay!

nb
Yall really need to get away from those crazy kraut knives. Invest in some good Forschner Victornox models and get the sharpening steel which goes with it. I have pretty close to a full set that are prob 15 years old and if they aint sharp..you just slap in on the steel a few licks and a person is back in business. No need to call the Tinker. Old butcher had a big Foschner scimitar steak knife he used dairly for 20 years and never saw a whetrock or grinding wheel. Thats the brand all the butchers use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/14, 4:38 PM, bigwheel wrote:

> ....if they aint sharp..you just slap in on the steel a few licks
> and a person is back in business....

Steels (except diamond) don't sharpen; they simply re-align the
curled-over edge. Even butchers re-sharpen periodically.

-- Larry

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pltrgyst[_4_] View Post
On 6/21/14, 4:38 PM, bigwheel wrote:

....if they aint sharp..you just slap in on the steel a few licks
and a person is back in business....

Steels (except diamond) don't sharpen; they simply re-align the
curled-over edge. Even butchers re-sharpen periodically.

-- Larry
I like the straightening theory and have heard it all my life. I have reached the conclusion it dont apply to soft knives like Forscheners. Have seen some old Forshner curved boners which had been laid on the steel so many times the blade was about a half inch tall..meaning they were wearing away material in the sharpening process. Now on super hard Kraut knives the theory might be correct. Aint never bothered to desire to own one. Before buying my knives I checked with every live butcher in the Metro Mess. They all say buy Forschners so I did..lol. Never been sorry about it. I got the 12" Granton slicer..the 9" Chefs knife..the 6" curved boner..the paring knife and the steel to keep all sharp as a razor for around a hundred bucks which made it qualify for the free shipping. Get the Fibrox handles. Pros dont like wood handles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/14, 2:13 PM, bigwheel wrote:

>> Steels (except diamond) don't sharpen; they simply re-align the
>> curled-over edge. Even butchers re-sharpen periodically.

> I like the straightening theory and have heard it all my life. I have
> reached the conclusion it dont apply to soft knives like Forscheners.

All it takes is a good magnifying glass to see it for yourself on
Forschners or any other knife.

According to Forschner, their knives are made from X50CrMoV15 steel with
a Rockwell hardness of 55-56. The standard or "classic" knife lines from
Lion Sabatiers, Wusthof, and Henckel knives are all spec'd at the same
Rockwell 56.They all use the same X50CrMoV15 stainless steel. Basically,
the only differences among all these blades are thickness, curve, and
bolster design. So far as harness and ability to hold an edge, they're
all the same.

Most Globals and the more exotic lines from German manufacturers are 58;
VG-10, Eden Damask and Henckel Miyabi steel knives are 60; Shuns are 60.

Some other Japanese knives are even harder. They generally use more
exotic alloys, selected specifically to allow sharpening to a finer edge.

> ....Get the Fibrox handles. Pros dont like wood handles.

Most lowly-paid kitchen staff use their own knife rolls, and choose
Forschner and the like primarily because of price -- that's all they can
afford, or all they want to put at risk in a commercial kitchen.

There are many high-end restaurants full of German and Japanese knives
with wood or similar (e.g., pakka or bamboo) handles.

I have several Forschners among my many knives. They're fine, but they
don't hold an edge any better than my German or French knives, and
certainly not as well as my Japanese knives.

What I like best about Forschner and Global chef's knives is that the
bolster does not come all the way down to the heel, so you can sharpen
the entire length of the blade.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2014 5:40 PM, pltrgyst wrote:

> What I like best about Forschner and Global chef's knives is that the
> bolster does not come all the way down to the heel, so you can sharpen
> the entire length of the blade.
>
> -- Larry

I use Forschner knives because they are the best quality knives that fit
my hand. To me, there is no use buying more expensive knives if they
don't fit my hand comfortably. I have small hands and the Forschner
knives always have the right balance and grip for me. YMMV

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 23, 2014 8:40:22 AM UTC+10, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 6/22/14, 2:13 PM, bigwheel wrote:

[...]
> Some other Japanese knives are even harder. They generally use more
> exotic alloys, selected specifically to allow sharpening to a finer edge.

.... or just high-carbon steel, which is hardly exotic. Can do HRC63 or so with high-carbon steel.

At those kinds of hardnesses, steels (i.e., "sharpening" steels) become pretty useless. But then the knives are hard enough so the edges don't roll.

> > ....Get the Fibrox handles. Pros dont like wood handles.

> Most lowly-paid kitchen staff use their own knife rolls, and choose
> Forschner and the like primarily because of price -- that's all they can
> afford, or all they want to put at risk in a commercial kitchen.

Food safety inspectors/auditors can be pretty down on wooden-handled knives (and wooden cutting boards, and wood in general). That's driven a lot of the non-wood handles for commercial knives. That, and plastic being cheap.

> There are many high-end restaurants full of German and Japanese knives
> with wood or similar (e.g., pakka or bamboo) handles.

Pakka-wood, being a resin-wood composite, is usually fine with food safety people. Not wood in their eyes.

I like wooden handles (a I don't have to worry about food safety inspectors).

> What I like best about Forschner and Global chef's knives is that the
> bolster does not come all the way down to the heel, so you can sharpen
> the entire length of the blade.

All-the-way-to-the-heel bolsters is a funny way to make knives, but sort-of popular. At least we only have to deal with it in classic Western knives, not Chinese, Japanese, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 19:41:28 -0700 (PDT), Timo
> wrote:

> On Monday, June 23, 2014 8:40:22 AM UTC+10, pltrgyst wrote:
>
> > What I like best about Forschner and Global chef's knives is that the
> > bolster does not come all the way down to the heel, so you can sharpen
> > the entire length of the blade.

> All-the-way-to-the-heel bolsters is a funny way to make knives, but sort-of popular. At least we only have to deal with it in classic Western knives, not Chinese, Japanese, etc.

Sorry, I don't get it. This is a classic Western knife.
http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/im...nife_parts.jpg
What makes it hard to sharpen?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 23, 2014 2:05:25 PM UTC+10, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 19:41:28 -0700 (PDT), Timo
>
> > wrote:
>

> > On Monday, June 23, 2014 8:40:22 AM UTC+10, pltrgyst wrote:

> > > What I like best about Forschner and Global chef's knives is that the

> > > bolster does not come all the way down to the heel, so you can sharpen

> > > the entire length of the blade.

> > All-the-way-to-the-heel bolsters is a funny way to make knives, but sort-of popular. At least we only have to deal with it in classic Western knives, not Chinese, Japanese, etc.

> Sorry, I don't get it. This is a classic Western knife.
>
> http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/im...nife_parts.jpg
>
> What makes it hard to sharpen?
>

> --
>
> All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Compare these two:
http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classi...dp/B00009ZK08/
http://www.amazon.com/Global-G-2-inc...dp/B00005OL44/

Note the heel end of the blade. On the Wusthof (and the knife you showed), the bolster extends all the way to the edge. This stops you from sharpening the blade all the way to the heel. Exactly how close to the heel you can sharpen depends on how you sharpen, but generally you can't get all the way.

On the Global, no such problem. You can sharpen the entire length of the blade, from the tip all the way to the end of the heel.

It isn't a huge problem, but it can annoy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 00:08:34 -0700 (PDT), Timo
> wrote:

> On Monday, June 23, 2014 2:05:25 PM UTC+10, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 19:41:28 -0700 (PDT), Timo
> >
> > > wrote:

> > > All-the-way-to-the-heel bolsters is a funny way to make knives, but sort-of popular. At least we only have to deal with it in classic Western knives, not Chinese, Japanese, etc.

> > Sorry, I don't get it. This is a classic Western knife.
> >
> > http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/im...nife_parts.jpg
> >
> > What makes it hard to sharpen?
> >

> Compare these two:
> http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classi...dp/B00009ZK08/
> http://www.amazon.com/Global-G-2-inc...dp/B00005OL44/
>
> Note the heel end of the blade. On the Wusthof (and the knife you showed), the bolster extends all the way to the edge. This stops you from sharpening the blade all the way to the heel. Exactly how close to the heel you can sharpen depends on how you sharpen, but generally you can't get all the way.
>
> On the Global, no such problem. You can sharpen the entire length of the blade, from the tip all the way to the end of the heel.
>
> It isn't a huge problem, but it can annoy.

Thanks, so that little bump on the end is the issue? I guess I've
learned how to sharpen "close enough". Over time, I've discovered
that I don't use the entire blade for cutting anyway - so that bump is
no big deal for me. I sharpen as close to the handle end as I can and
get on with it.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-06-22, bigwheel > wrote:

> shipping. Get the Fibrox handles. Pros dont like wood handles.

Well then, I'm glad I'm not a pro.

My two fave knives are a LamsonSharp Rosewood and some unknown carbon
steel paring knife with an OXO-huge wooden handle. The handles
encounter enough grease/oil to keep them preserved. But, if I think
the wood handles might be drying out, I oil 'em with walnut oil. The
Lamson is now almost 20 yrs old and shows no signs of splitting,
drying, etc. I've owned Forschners, Fibrox, Globals, Shuns, Tridents,
Wustofs, Messingmeisters, Sabatiers, etc, and the Rosewood line is
still my fave handle of them all. The only wood handle knife I ever
gave away was a 12" Sheffield bread knife, but only cuz the negative
scalloped blade was pain to sharpen. Also, since it never cut meat
and saw no fats, the wood had dried out and a small piece had split
off near a rivet. This knife was given to me and was the first
commercial knife I ever owned.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 23, 2014 9:22:36 PM UTC+10, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 00:08:34 -0700 (PDT), Timo wrote:
>
> > Note the heel end of the blade. On the Wusthof (and the knife you showed), the bolster extends all the way to the edge. This stops you from sharpening the blade all the way to the heel. Exactly how close to the heel you can sharpen depends on how you sharpen, but generally you can't get all the way.

[...]
> > It isn't a huge problem, but it can annoy.

> Thanks, so that little bump on the end is the issue? I guess I've
> learned how to sharpen "close enough". Over time, I've discovered
> that I don't use the entire blade for cutting anyway - so that bump is
> no big deal for me. I sharpen as close to the handle end as I can and
> get on with it.

Sharp all the way to the end is minor. The bolster stops you from cutting with the very end of the blade, anyway. If you sharpen on a stone, and want to go to a more acute edge angle, it's in the way. If you sharpen a lot, enough to remove a significant part of the width of the blade over time, then the heel will stick out, and stop the blade near the heel from making contact with the cutting board. A good design will help here - make the blade so that the base of the blade and the end of the bolster is a little higher, maybe 1-2mm (my Wusthof is like this).

So, as you say, not a big deal. If it was, maybe they'd have stopped doing it, since there's very little benefit in such a full width bolster. The only benefit is to provide a wider surface for the finger to sit against if you hold it in such a way that the finger is up against the base of the blade.. OTOH, it makes some other knife holding styles less comfortable.

The real purpose of such a bolster is to conspicuously advertise that the knife is forged, not stamped from sheet metal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2014 11:18 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-06-22, bigwheel > wrote:
>
>> shipping. Get the Fibrox handles. Pros dont like wood handles.

> Well then, I'm glad I'm not a pro.
>
> My two fave knives are a LamsonSharp Rosewood and some unknown carbon
> steel paring knife with an OXO-huge wooden handle. The handles
> encounter enough grease/oil to keep them preserved. But, if I think
> the wood handles might be drying out, I oil 'em with walnut oil. The
> Lamson is now almost 20 yrs old and shows no signs of splitting,
> drying, etc. I've owned Forschners, Fibrox, Globals, Shuns, Tridents,
> Wustofs, Messingmeisters, Sabatiers, etc, and the Rosewood line is
> still my fave handle of them all. The only wood handle knife I ever
> gave away was a 12" Sheffield bread knife, but only cuz the negative
> scalloped blade was pain to sharpen. Also, since it never cut meat
> and saw no fats, the wood had dried out and a small piece had split
> off near a rivet. This knife was given to me and was the first
> commercial knife I ever owned.
>
> nb

My knives are Henckels, so are George's and mom's, so when we got
married, we had a bunch of Henckels. When I had youngsters, at home,
they used Chicago Cutlery. When my firstborn got married, we have them
Henckels of their own, because he liked mine.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 22, 2014 3:40:22 PM UTC-7, pltrgyst wrote:

> According to Forschner, their knives are made from X50CrMoV15 steel with
> a Rockwell hardness of 55-56. The standard or "classic" knife lines from
> Lion Sabatiers, Wusthof, and Henckel knives are all spec'd at the same
> Rockwell 56.They all use the same X50CrMoV15 stainless steel. Basically,
> the only differences among all these blades are thickness, curve, and
> bolster design. So far as harness and ability to hold an edge, they're
> all the same.
>

> Most Globals and the more exotic lines from German manufacturers are 58;
> VG-10, Eden Damask and Henckel Miyabi steel knives are 60; Shuns are 60.
>

> > ....Get the Fibrox handles. Pros dont like wood handles.

> Most lowly-paid kitchen staff use their own knife rolls, and choose
> Forschner and the like primarily because of price -- that's all they can
> afford, or all they want to put at risk in a commercial kitchen.

The cheap restaurant supply I went to sells Dexter Russells as well
as Forschners. They used to sell F. Dick (a little less chrome) but
no longer.

The trouble with wooden handles is that they absorb moisture, and then
they can gap away from the blade tang.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/14, 4:21 PM, Timo wrote:

> So, as you say, not a big deal. If it was, maybe they'd have stopped
> doing it, since there's very little benefit in such a full width
> bolster. The only benefit is to provide a wider surface for the
> finger to sit against if you hold it in such a way that the finger is
> up against the base of the blade....

Or if you're one of those who chop with thumb and index finger on
opposite sides of the blade, above the bolster.

> The real purpose of such a bolster is to conspicuously advertise that
> the knife is forged, not stamped from sheet metal.

That's not insignificant! 8

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 22:25:21 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

> On 6/23/14, 4:21 PM, Timo wrote:
>
> > So, as you say, not a big deal. If it was, maybe they'd have stopped
> > doing it, since there's very little benefit in such a full width
> > bolster. The only benefit is to provide a wider surface for the
> > finger to sit against if you hold it in such a way that the finger is
> > up against the base of the blade....

> Or if you're one of those who chop with thumb and index finger on
> opposite sides of the blade, above the bolster.
>
> > The real purpose of such a bolster is to conspicuously advertise that
> > the knife is forged, not stamped from sheet metal.

> That's not insignificant! 8

I honed my knife on my whetstone tonight and took the time to notice
how I did it. I'm one of the people who have learned how how make the
entire blade meet the stone, so that bump isn't a problem for me.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:25:21 PM UTC+10, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 6/23/14, 4:21 PM, Timo wrote:
>
> > So, as you say, not a big deal. If it was, maybe they'd have stopped
> > doing it, since there's very little benefit in such a full width
> > bolster. The only benefit is to provide a wider surface for the
> > finger to sit against if you hold it in such a way that the finger is
> > up against the base of the blade....

> Or if you're one of those who chop with thumb and index finger on
> opposite sides of the blade, above the bolster.

Hmm. I find a full-width bolster gets in the way of a pinch grip. Not so much that punch grip can't be used, but enough so that it's less comfortable. I like traditional Japanese handles (wa handles) best for punch grip, then modern Japanese handles and traditional Chinese handles.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

Not sure what goes through the heads of lowly restaurant workers..but lowly butchers like Forschners. I was the proud owner of a Russel Dexter one time..sorriest peece of sheet knife I ever ownen. Finally managed to give it away to some unfortunate person. A person who insists to own Hinkles and Wustoffs need to invest in a grinding wheel and learn how to use it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:40:43 AM UTC-4, bigwheel wrote:

> Not sure what goes through the heads of lowly restaurant workers..but
> lowly butchers like Forschners. I was the proud owner of a Russel
> Dexter one time..sorriest peece of sheet knife I ever ownen. Finally
> managed to give it away to some unfortunate person. A person who insists
> to own Hinkles and Wustoffs need to invest in a grinding wheel and learn
> how to use it.

You make an excellent point. I own Wustoff knives. They are
not too expensive and hold an edge for a reasonable time. I
use a stone to sharpen as required.

However, many butchers use very cheap (often pressed) knives
and have them sharpened very regularly. In their environment
it makes sense. Obviously it works well for you.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I honed my knife on my whetstone tonight and took the time to notice
> how I did it. I'm one of the people who have learned how how make the
> entire blade meet the stone, so that bump isn't a problem for me.

Why do I not believe that you really used a whetstone. heheh

g.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 16:21:38 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > I honed my knife on my whetstone tonight and took the time to notice
> > how I did it. I'm one of the people who have learned how how make the
> > entire blade meet the stone, so that bump isn't a problem for me.

> Why do I not believe that you really used a whetstone. heheh

I'm not one of the screwballs who has a need to talk about their three
sided Arkansas whetstone. Mine is the cheapest one I could find at
Home Depot, well under $10. Two sides is enough for me.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:40:43 AM UTC-7, bigwheel wrote:
> ;1942922 Wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, June 22, 2014 3:40:22 PM UTC-7, pltrgyst wrote:

> > According to Forschner, their knives are made from X50CrMoV15 steel
> > with
> > a Rockwell hardness of 55-56. The standard or "classic" knife lines
> > from
> > Lion Sabatiers, Wusthof, and Henckel knives are all spec'd at the same
> > Rockwell 56.They all use the same X50CrMoV15 stainless steel.

> > Basically,
> > the only differences among all these blades are thickness, curve, and
> > bolster design. So far as harness and ability to hold an edge, they're
> > all the same.

> > ....Get the Fibrox handles. Pros dont like wood handles.-

> > Most lowly-paid kitchen staff use their own knife rolls, and choose
> > Forschner and the like primarily because of price -- that's all they
> > can
> > afford, or all they want to put at risk in a commercial kitchen.

> > The cheap restaurant supply I went to sells Dexter Russells as well
> > as Forschners. They used to sell F. Dick (a little less chrome) but
> > no longer.

> > The trouble with wooden handles is that they absorb moisture, and then
> > they can gap away from the blade tang.

> Not sure what goes through the heads of lowly restaurant workers..but
> lowly butchers like Forschners. I was the proud owner of a Russel
> Dexter one time..sorriest peece of sheet knife I ever ownen. Finally
> managed to give it away to some unfortunate person. A person who insists
> to own Hinkles and Wustoffs need to invest in a grinding wheel and learn
> how to use it.

The Dexters that place sold were made from the same alloy as the
Forschners -- only they were forged, not stamped.

X50CrMoV15

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Honestly, I don't know how so many people know about inferior
> products. I've only heard those names here. Say Ecco and I'll know
> what you're talking about. My particular "inferior" product has
> lasted for 40 years and works as well as every knife that cost me 30
> times what I spent on the Ecco.

I have some very cheap knives that I use most often. My most expensive
set of knives is 6 made by Chicago Cuttlery. It came as a gift and
with a wooden storing block. I use the large chef's knife and keep it
sharp but most other times, I use cheap $1.oo knives for quick
cutting.

I do realize too the Chicago Cuttlery is not highly rated???

Bottom line...my cheap knives work for me. I don't (and won't) spend
the extra money on the "cool kid" knives like Wusthof or Henkle
(sp>). Good for professional chefs but not necessary for the good
home cook, in my stupid worthless opinion. heheh

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> sf wrote:
>>
>> Honestly, I don't know how so many people know about inferior
>> products. I've only heard those names here. Say Ecco and I'll know
>> what you're talking about. My particular "inferior" product has
>> lasted for 40 years and works as well as every knife that cost me 30
>> times what I spent on the Ecco.

> I have some very cheap knives that I use most often. My most expensive
> set of knives is 6 made by Chicago Cuttlery. It came as a gift and
> with a wooden storing block. I use the large chef's knife and keep it
> sharp but most other times, I use cheap $1.oo knives for quick
> cutting.
>
> I do realize too the Chicago Cuttlery is not highly rated???
>
> Bottom line...my cheap knives work for me. I don't (and won't) spend
> the extra money on the "cool kid" knives like Wusthof or Henkle
> (sp>). Good for professional chefs but not necessary for the good
> home cook, in my stupid worthless opinion. heheh
>
> G.

My favorite knives are cheap, about 12-14 dollars each, Farberware Santuko
bought at Wal-Mart I have four and they are the ones I use most. They
sharpen up well too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 21:38:10 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> sf wrote:
>>>
>>> Honestly, I don't know how so many people know about inferior
>>> products. I've only heard those names here. Say Ecco and I'll know
>>> what you're talking about. My particular "inferior" product has
>>> lasted for 40 years and works as well as every knife that cost me 30
>>> times what I spent on the Ecco.

>> I have some very cheap knives that I use most often. My most expensive
>> set of knives is 6 made by Chicago Cuttlery. It came as a gift and
>> with a wooden storing block. I use the large chef's knife and keep it
>> sharp but most other times, I use cheap $1.oo knives for quick
>> cutting.
>>
>> I do realize too the Chicago Cuttlery is not highly rated???
>>
>> Bottom line...my cheap knives work for me. I don't (and won't) spend
>> the extra money on the "cool kid" knives like Wusthof or Henkle
>> (sp>). Good for professional chefs but not necessary for the good
>> home cook, in my stupid worthless opinion. heheh
>>
>> G.

>My favorite knives are cheap, about 12-14 dollars each, Farberware Santuko
>bought at Wal-Mart I have four and they are the ones I use most. They
>sharpen up well too.
>
>Cheri

The knife I use most is an 8" chefs, bought from Hoffritz about 50
years ago, has never needed sharpening, only steeling, and I use it
every day. Most of my knives are rescues, I sharpened them once,
after that only steeling. The only time a quality knife needs
sharpening is when it's been abused. Professionals have their knives
sharpened often because they abuse them, but in business situations
time is money so they don't take care of their tools, plus most pros
use rental knives on the job, same as they do their clothing
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:14:45 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 21:38:10 -0700, "Cheri" >
>
> wrote:

> >> I have some very cheap knives that I use most often. My most expensive

> >> set of knives is 6 made by Chicago Cuttlery. It came as a gift and

> >> with a wooden storing block. I use the large chef's knife and keep it

> >> sharp but most other times, I use cheap $1.oo knives for quick

> >> cutting.

> >> I do realize too the Chicago Cuttlery is not highly rated???

> >> Bottom line...my cheap knives work for me. I don't (and won't) spend

> >> the extra money on the "cool kid" knives like Wusthof or Henkle

> >> (sp>). Good for professional chefs but not necessary for the good

> >> home cook, in my stupid worthless opinion. heheh

> >> G.

> >My favorite knives are cheap, about 12-14 dollars each, Farberware Santuko

> >bought at Wal-Mart I have four and they are the ones I use most. They

> >sharpen up well too.

> >Cheri

> The knife I use most is an 8" chefs, bought from Hoffritz about 50
>
> years ago, has never needed sharpening, only steeling, and I use it
>
> every day. Most of my knives are rescues, I sharpened them once,
>
> after that only steeling. The only time a quality knife needs
>
> sharpening is when it's been abused. Professionals have their knives
>
> sharpened often because they abuse them, but in business situations
>
> time is money so they don't take care of their tools, plus most pros
>
> use rental knives on the job, same as they do their clothing

Once again, if you had posted the absolute opposite of what you did, you'd be 100% correct. How do you do it?