Posted to rec.food.cooking
dalep dalep is offline

Default Sharp knife problem solved

On Friday, June 20, 2014 12:34:25 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
> w00t!!
>

> Both my two fave chef knives are now sharper than a Wall Street
>
> metrosexual on Friday night. Some guy in town, allegedly also a chef,
>
> got tired of trying to find a knife sharpening biz for his knives, so
>
> bought a commercial grade Swiss water-stone sharpening machine and he
>
> does sharpening of most everything as a sideline. Only cost me $5 per
>
> knife and they are now scary sharp. He's partial to Solingen knives,
>
> which these both are, so he took extra care. No more dicing tomatoes
>
> from the pulp side. Yay!
>

> nb

I love your analogy!!
My favorite knives are Hinkels. Sometimes DH or guests do something to them that messes up the edge. It takes a while, but I can get them back to where I want them. I use an Accusharp for day to day touch ups on the edge. I have a stone for when I have to get serious. My S-I-L has such crap for knives!! When I am going to be cooking at her house (Thanksgiving or Christmas) I take my own knives with me. Many years ago she was slicing a brisket, and I thought it was vary tender as she had no effort to slice it. Turns our she was slicing with the grain!! Simple is as simple does. But I love her.

DaleP