Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default You must try this recipe!

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Or let them eat cake, birthday cake, my birthday cake:
> http://i61.tinypic.com/2ppk4si.jpg

What a delicious looking cake, Sheldon. I hope you had a great
birthday yesterday. May 18th is also my daughters bd. Anyway....hope
you had a good one! :-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 19, 2014 5:02:42 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>
> > Frozen broccoli is too mushy for us - it has to be fresh!

> I've never tried any and now I never will) Thanks for that info)

Good grief what a silly thing to say based on someone else's experience.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" wrote:
> > Frozen broccoli is too mushy for us - it has to be fresh!

> I've never tried any and now I never will) Thanks for that info)

ignore it. it's only true if you overcook it. Frozen broccoli should
be heated just to hot and no longer.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "S Viemeister" wrote:
>> > Frozen broccoli is too mushy for us - it has to be fresh!

>> I've never tried any and now I never will) Thanks for that info)

> ignore it. it's only true if you overcook it. Frozen broccoli should
> be heated just to hot and no longer.

Okay, but I do trust Sheila as she is a very good cook. But, I might try it
as you say How do you heat it an for how long?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 May 2014 21:13:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...

> >> I've never tried any and now I never will) Thanks for that info)

> > ignore it. it's only true if you overcook it. Frozen broccoli should
> > be heated just to hot and no longer.

> Okay, but I do trust Sheila as she is a very good cook. But, I might try it
> as you say How do you heat it an for how long?

I've never tried frozen broccoli, probably because it's always
available here fresh. I can see uses for it in things where it needs
to be precooked... like a souffle or quiche. You and I would use
planned leftovers, but others might not.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:

>>> Frozen broccoli is too mushy for us - it has to be fresh!

>>I've never tried any and now I never will) Thanks for that info)

> I don't find frozen broccoli mushy at all, but you need to buy the
> better brands or you get mostly stems... I like Green Giant brand. and
> don't over cook it, in fact I don't boil/steam it, I add it frozen to
> a pan and stir fry just until hot. I also top pizza with frozen
> broccoli. I think most people over cook frozen veggies. I'll defrost
> frozen broccoli in the fridge and next day add it a tossed salad with
> out any cooking, I do the same with several frozen veggies... they
> really don't require cooking.

I've not had it be mushy either although it would be softer than lightly
steamed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 May 2014 21:13:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>> > ignore it. it's only true if you overcook it. Frozen broccoli should
>> > be heated just to hot and no longer.

>> Okay, but I do trust Sheila as she is a very good cook. But, I might try
>> it
>> as you say How do you heat it an for how long?

> I've never tried frozen broccoli, probably because it's always
> available here fresh. I can see uses for it in things where it needs
> to be precooked... like a souffle or quiche. You and I would use
> planned leftovers, but others might not.

I've only bought it a few times. Usually the kind with the cheese sauce.
It was fine. Not mushy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 May 2014 15:57:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 19 May 2014 21:13:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> Okay, but I do trust Sheila as she is a very good cook. But, I might try
>>> it
>>> as you say How do you heat it an for how long?

>> I've never tried frozen broccoli, probably because it's always
>> available here fresh. I can see uses for it in things where it needs
>> to be precooked... like a souffle or quiche. You and I would use
>> planned leftovers, but others might not.

>I've only bought it a few times. Usually the kind with the cheese sauce.
>It was fine. Not mushy.

I never buy those with sauce/seasoning... I buy plain flowerets; Green
Giant or Birdseye in the big 3 lb bags from Walmart or BJs, never had
any complaints... and they cost less than buying so called fresh from
the produce section (which is far from freshly harvested), frozen is
ALWAYS fresher, it's flash frozen right in the field within less than
2-3 hours of harvest... the produce at market is at least two week
old, most is much older. I'll buy locally grown broccoli in season
(fall) but I'm not going to buy storage broccoli in mid summer. Frozen
veggies are always better quality than produce department veggies,
frozen OJ is ALWAYS better than produce department citrus unless you
have your own citrus trees. Citrus loses half its Vitamin C within 24
hours of harvest... by the time you buy those oranges at market all
the nutrition you get is sugar. Even the containers of OJ in the
fridge are suger water. Frozen OJ concentrate is your best value.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 May 2014 15:57:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Mon, 19 May 2014 21:13:50 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> I've never tried frozen broccoli, probably because it's always
>>> available here fresh. I can see uses for it in things where it needs
>>> to be precooked... like a souffle or quiche. You and I would use
>>> planned leftovers, but others might not.

>>I've only bought it a few times. Usually the kind with the cheese sauce.
>>It was fine. Not mushy.

> I never buy those with sauce/seasoning... I buy plain flowerets; Green
> Giant or Birdseye in the big 3 lb bags from Walmart or BJs, never had
> any complaints... and they cost less than buying so called fresh from
> the produce section (which is far from freshly harvested), frozen is
> ALWAYS fresher, it's flash frozen right in the field within less than
> 2-3 hours of harvest... the produce at market is at least two week
> old, most is much older. I'll buy locally grown broccoli in season
> (fall) but I'm not going to buy storage broccoli in mid summer. Frozen
> veggies are always better quality than produce department veggies,
> frozen OJ is ALWAYS better than produce department citrus unless you
> have your own citrus trees. Citrus loses half its Vitamin C within 24
> hours of harvest... by the time you buy those oranges at market all
> the nutrition you get is sugar. Even the containers of OJ in the
> fridge are suger water. Frozen OJ concentrate is your best value.

I never buy OJ and rarely like broccoli. Husband is the only one who eats
it and he only eats it with cheese sauce. Which is why a package of frozen
is fine once in a while. I usually only get it if I see a good sale and/or
have a coupon. I don't think that broccoli is his favorite vegetable but he
will eat it once in a while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 5:15 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Sometimes I steam it and puree it with the wand thingie, adding butter,
> cream, salt and white pepper and a dash of freshly grated nutmeg.

Delicious like that!

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 May 2014 21:13:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>> > ignore it. it's only true if you overcook it. Frozen broccoli should
>> > be heated just to hot and no longer.

>> Okay, but I do trust Sheila as she is a very good cook. But, I might try
>> it
>> as you say How do you heat it an for how long?

> I've never tried frozen broccoli, probably because it's always
> available here fresh. I can see uses for it in things where it needs
> to be precooked... like a souffle or quiche. You and I would use
> planned leftovers, but others might not.

What I might do is try freezing a little of my own and see how it comes out.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 5:26 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> I saw a new vegetable cross yesterday (on The Kitchen, not in
> real life). A cross between brussels sprouts and kale. They
> said it grows on a stalk like the sprouts. I'm going to keep
> an eye out for it.

I saw that ep! Wasn't Sunny so funny about it? And Geoffrey Zakarian
wanting to steal it from her for some event in one of his restaurants?
I got a kick out of it.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/20/2014 6:21 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 5/18/2014 5:26 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> I saw a new vegetable cross yesterday (on The Kitchen, not in
>> real life). A cross between brussels sprouts and kale. They
>> said it grows on a stalk like the sprouts. I'm going to keep
>> an eye out for it.

> I saw that ep! Wasn't Sunny so funny about it?

Ha, she was all over that, had it locked in a suitcase.
Funny.

> And Geoffrey Zakarian
> wanting to steal it from her for some event in one of his restaurants? I
> got a kick out of it.

She said he could have half, but I don't think she wanted to
give him anyway. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2014 1:25 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 19 May 2014 11:52:54 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>> I do not expect to find it at my supermarket, that is a for-sure.
>> But I live near a produce place that has all those things you
>> mention, they do tend to carry more unusual items than I can find
>> elsewhere.

> The local farm stands here sell all those hard to find veggies... I
> grow green and purple cabbages but the few times I tried broccoli it
> didn't form heads, but had spears at each leaf joint. Kale grows well
> here too.

I'm a wimp, I don't grow a lot of vegetables. Lazy, I guess. I
don't seem to have much steam to grow much more than tomatoes,
cukes, some peppers, herbs.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 May 2014 22:59:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> Something like this is okay for roasting on hot days:
>> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111262447613

>Yes, I have heard those are good but I have a small kitchen and insufficient
>storage space for one. Whoever designed my kitchen wasn't a cook!

Yes, plenty of kitchens like that around, unfortunately.

When I was looking for a property 6 years ago, I saw this one on the
Internet and it looked good to me. But when I walked into the kitchen
here IRL... that sealed the deal. A good kitchen was essential to me.
I would hate to go back to an average, tiny kitchen again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 May 2014 20:48:32 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>n 2014-05-18 19:32, Jeßus wrote:
>

>> Each to their own is so true. I like broccoli, yet when I made
>> broccoli soup for the first (and probably last time)... hmm, nah. That
>> surprised me, as I was fully expecting it be delicious.

>Broccoli is one of my favourite vegetables, but it is one of those that
>develops a nastiness when overcooked.
>Soup cooks for a long time, which
>probably explains why I usually find brocolli soups disappointing.

Much like brussel sprouts... I'd never really considered that in
relation to broccoli. As you say, would explain why I wasn't happy
with my soup.

>That being said... spinach gets even nastier than broccoli with
>increased cooking time. A few years ago we were in a Portugese
>restaurant in Montreal and the specials came with a choice of Romain
>salad or spinach soup. Given my usual reaction to Romaine, I opted for
>the spinach soup. I figured I could try a little, share it, just not
>eat it. What a surprise it was. It was delicious.

I love spinach and very rarely give it much cooking - usually I just
wilt it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 May 2014 13:16:50 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Sat, 17 May 2014 22:59:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>> Something like this is okay for roasting on hot days:
>>> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111262447613

>>Yes, I have heard those are good but I have a small kitchen and insufficient
>>storage space for one. Whoever designed my kitchen wasn't a cook!

>Yes, plenty of kitchens like that around, unfortunately.
>
>When I was looking for a property 6 years ago, I saw this one on the
>Internet and it looked good to me. But when I walked into the kitchen
>here IRL... that sealed the deal. A good kitchen was essential to me.
>I would hate to go back to an average, tiny kitchen again.

Sounds like me. About 10 years ago we were looking for a house. After
several looking at several places and having our offer refused on at
least one, the Realtor said "There is another house I can show you but
it is a bit over what you wanted to pay." We'll look. We walked into
the house and into the kitchen. I said "We'll take it." The rest of
the house is equally nice fortunately.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
news
> On 5/19/2014 1:25 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 May 2014 11:52:54 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> I do not expect to find it at my supermarket, that is a for-sure.
>>> But I live near a produce place that has all those things you
>>> mention, they do tend to carry more unusual items than I can find
>>> elsewhere.

>> The local farm stands here sell all those hard to find veggies... I
>> grow green and purple cabbages but the few times I tried broccoli it
>> didn't form heads, but had spears at each leaf joint. Kale grows well
>> here too.

Are you sure you didn't have purple sprouting broccoli?

That is what I grow and is my favourite.

> I'm a wimp, I don't grow a lot of vegetables. Lazy, I guess. I
> don't seem to have much steam to grow much more than tomatoes,
> cukes, some peppers, herbs.

) I am growing zucchini (green and yellow), peas, beans (green and yellow)
potatoes, strawberries, cucumbers, tomatoes, apples, plums and blackberries
along with dandelions, dock leaves and various weeds etc <g> Most of this
stuff is grown in tubs or greenhouses (except the weeds you understand)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, susan_r23666
@yahoo.com says...

> On Wed, 21 May 2014 13:16:50 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

> >When I was looking for a property 6 years ago, I saw this one on the
> >Internet and it looked good to me. But when I walked into the kitchen
> >here IRL... that sealed the deal. A good kitchen was essential to me.
> >I would hate to go back to an average, tiny kitchen again.

> Sounds like me. About 10 years ago we were looking for a house. After
> several looking at several places and having our offer refused on at
> least one, the Realtor said "There is another house I can show you but
> it is a bit over what you wanted to pay." We'll look. We walked into
> the house and into the kitchen. I said "We'll take it." The rest of
> the house is equally nice fortunately.

Complete opposite here. We bought this place without ever seeing the
kitchen. When we viewed, its owner had locked herself in the kitchen and
was slamming around refusing to open the door; she and her husband had
obviously just had a major row. The husband (also in a vile temper; the
entire viewing was a whistle stop tour in 5 mins flat) just said "You
can't go in there". He didn't give a toss about us; the sale closure was
the following week and he already had five serious auction bidders lined
up.

Didn't matter because the minute I stepped in this house I knew I was
going to live here. So a week later we bid and bought it.

When we eventually got access to see the mystery kitchen it was
awful.. a dark stuffy interior room with terrible old fittings and no
exterior door or window . But it had one wondrous surprise feature; I
opened an unexpected door, and found.... a big walk-in cool pantry
which had never been mentioned, with its walls lined with shelves. I
still rate finding that pantry as one of the best surprises of my life
:-) We've since knocked down a kitchen wall to extended and refit the
kitchen to a lightfilled comfortable and efficient one, it's now my all-
time favourite.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2014 9:02 AM, Janet wrote:

> Complete opposite here. We bought this place without ever seeing the
> kitchen. When we viewed, its owner had locked herself in the kitchen and
> was slamming around refusing to open the door; she and her husband had
> obviously just had a major row. The husband (also in a vile temper; the
> entire viewing was a whistle stop tour in 5 mins flat) just said "You
> can't go in there". He didn't give a toss about us; the sale closure was
> the following week and he already had five serious auction bidders lined
> up.

Such drama! I don't know what is the norm in the UK. In the US, unless
you're selling & showing the house yourself (FSBO) the realtor will ask
you to clear out when they have a showing scheduled.

> Didn't matter because the minute I stepped in this house I knew I was
> going to live here. So a week later we bid and bought it.
>
> When we eventually got access to see the mystery kitchen it was
> awful.. a dark stuffy interior room with terrible old fittings and no
> exterior door or window . But it had one wondrous surprise feature; I
> opened an unexpected door, and found.... a big walk-in cool pantry
> which had never been mentioned, with its walls lined with shelves. I
> still rate finding that pantry as one of the best surprises of my life
> :-) We've since knocked down a kitchen wall to extended and refit the
> kitchen to a lightfilled comfortable and efficient one, it's now my all-
> time favourite.
>
> Janet UK

Nice that it worked out so well for you!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2014 9:02 AM, Janet wrote:

> Complete opposite here. We bought this place without ever seeing the
> kitchen. When we viewed, its owner had locked herself in the kitchen and
> was slamming around refusing to open the door; she and her husband had
> obviously just had a major row.

> When we eventually got access to see the mystery kitchen it was
> awful.. a dark stuffy interior room with terrible old fittings and no
> exterior door or window .

I'm going to remember this tactic for when we sell. No one
allowed in the utility room, that crazy witch is having a fit
in there! Heh.

> But it had one wondrous surprise feature; I
> opened an unexpected door, and found.... a big walk-in cool pantry
> which had never been mentioned, with its walls lined with shelves. I
> still rate finding that pantry as one of the best surprises of my life
> :-) We've since knocked down a kitchen wall to extended and refit the
> kitchen to a lightfilled comfortable and efficient one, it's now my all-
> time favourite.

If you think you'll probably want to do the kitchen your way
anyway, what the heck. So long as you are budgeted for it, who
cares. Of course, it would be nice to know if water damage had
destroyed the floor structure.

Then you have some people who reject a place because they don't
like the paint color. Aren't you going to want your own fresh
coat anyway?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2014 10:49 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/21/2014 9:02 AM, Janet wrote:
>
>> Complete opposite here. We bought this place without ever seeing the
>> kitchen. When we viewed, its owner had locked herself in the kitchen and
>> was slamming around refusing to open the door; she and her husband had
>> obviously just had a major row.

(snip)

> I'm going to remember this tactic for when we sell. No one
> allowed in the utility room, that crazy witch is having a fit
> in there! Heh.

Be sure to slam things around and yell a lot.

> > But it had one wondrous surprise feature; I
>> opened an unexpected door, and found.... a big walk-in cool pantry
>> which had never been mentioned, with its walls lined with shelves. I
>> still rate finding that pantry as one of the best surprises of my life
>> :-) We've since knocked down a kitchen wall to extended and refit the
>> kitchen to a lightfilled comfortable and efficient one, it's now my all-
>> time favourite.

> If you think you'll probably want to do the kitchen your way
> anyway, what the heck. So long as you are budgeted for it, who
> cares. Of course, it would be nice to know if water damage had
> destroyed the floor structure.

I don't know about the UK, but wouldn't a home inspection disclose that
sort of damage?

> Then you have some people who reject a place because they don't
> like the paint color. Aren't you going to want your own fresh
> coat anyway?
>
> nancy

Yeah, I don't understand the thing about paint. True, some people have
some pretty wacky shades on their walls. But as far as "fixing things",
paint is relatively cheap. I don't know why some people can't see past it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 May 2014 11:07:06 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 5/21/2014 10:49 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > Then you have some people who reject a place because they don't
> > like the paint color. Aren't you going to want your own fresh
> > coat anyway?

It seems like a convenient excuse to claim for disliking a place in
general.

> Yeah, I don't understand the thing about paint. True, some people have
> some pretty wacky shades on their walls. But as far as "fixing things",
> paint is relatively cheap. I don't know why some people can't see past it.

Isn't that mainly on TV shows? But it's true that you should
declutter, depersonalize and repaint in neutral colors so that
potential buyers can easily imagine themselves living in your house.
Notice I said "house", because it's not your home anymore. It's a
commodity that you want to sell as close to the top of the local
market as possible.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 May 2014 17:54:32 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> what's FSBO?

For Sale By Owner. Mainly those who are not very serious about
selling do that here.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On 5/21/2014 9:02 AM, Janet wrote:
>
> > Complete opposite here. We bought this place without ever seeing the
> > kitchen. When we viewed, its owner had locked herself in the kitchen and
> > was slamming around refusing to open the door; she and her husband had
> > obviously just had a major row.

> > When we eventually got access to see the mystery kitchen it was
> > awful.. a dark stuffy interior room with terrible old fittings and no
> > exterior door or window .

> I'm going to remember this tactic for when we sell. No one
> allowed in the utility room, that crazy witch is having a fit
> in there! Heh.
>
> > But it had one wondrous surprise feature; I
> > opened an unexpected door, and found.... a big walk-in cool pantry
> > which had never been mentioned, with its walls lined with shelves. I
> > still rate finding that pantry as one of the best surprises of my life
> > :-) We've since knocked down a kitchen wall to extended and refit the
> > kitchen to a lightfilled comfortable and efficient one, it's now my all-
> > time favourite.

> If you think you'll probably want to do the kitchen your way
> anyway, what the heck.

We've redone the kitchens in most of our houses.

So long as you are budgeted for it, who
> cares. Of course, it would be nice to know if water damage had
> destroyed the floor structure.

Er, as is usual in the UK we did employ a surveyor before making a bid
:-)

> Then you have some people who reject a place because they don't
> like the paint color.

I focus almost entirely on location, location, location.. everything
else can be changed.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

>>Are you sure you didn't have purple sprouting broccoli?
>>
>>That is what I grow and is my favourite.

> I love that but never see it here.

Nor do I which is why I am growing it

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2014 11:07 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/21/2014 10:49 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> If you think you'll probably want to do the kitchen your way
>> anyway, what the heck. So long as you are budgeted for it, who
>> cares. Of course, it would be nice to know if water damage had
>> destroyed the floor structure.
>>

> I don't know about the UK, but wouldn't a home inspection disclose that
> sort of damage?

Assuming you get one. And some inspectors don't catch much at
all.

>> Then you have some people who reject a place because they don't
>> like the paint color. Aren't you going to want your own fresh
>> coat anyway?

> Yeah, I don't understand the thing about paint. True, some people have
> some pretty wacky shades on their walls. But as far as "fixing things",
> paint is relatively cheap. I don't know why some people can't see past it.

I guess it can be hard to envision if the paint is awful enough,
but seems there are people who just can't picture it different.

I have seen a couple of places on tv where I think ... that might
be a problem. The ceiling is so high, you need scaffolding, and
you know that paint job is going to cost.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/20/2014 10:16 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2014 22:59:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>> Something like this is okay for roasting on hot days:
>>> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111262447613

>> Yes, I have heard those are good but I have a small kitchen and insufficient
>> storage space for one. Whoever designed my kitchen wasn't a cook!

> Yes, plenty of kitchens like that around, unfortunately.
>
> When I was looking for a property 6 years ago, I saw this one on the
> Internet and it looked good to me. But when I walked into the kitchen
> here IRL... that sealed the deal. A good kitchen was essential to me.
> I would hate to go back to an average, tiny kitchen again.

A good cook can probably function in any size kitchen.

I have always been amazed at the excellent culinary fare that came out
of the tiny apartment kitchens my mother and aunts had in their NYC
metro area apartments.

I lived in an RV (caravan to you) for 9 years. I had a propane
(butane) 3 burner range and small oven. I cooked wonderful meals and
even baked breads in those miniature kitchens.

If the ingredients are good and the cook knows what to do with them, a
hot plate and a microwave can be an adequate kitchen.

That's not to say that all of us have our own idea of a dream kitchen. :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2014 8:02 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >, susan_r23666
> @yahoo.com says...
>>
>> On Wed, 21 May 2014 13:16:50 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>>> When I was looking for a property 6 years ago, I saw this one on the
>>> Internet and it looked good to me. But when I walked into the kitchen
>>> here IRL... that sealed the deal. A good kitchen was essential to me.
>>> I would hate to go back to an average, tiny kitchen again.

>> Sounds like me. About 10 years ago we were looking for a house. After
>> several looking at several places and having our offer refused on at
>> least one, the Realtor said "There is another house I can show you but
>> it is a bit over what you wanted to pay." We'll look. We walked into
>> the house and into the kitchen. I said "We'll take it." The rest of
>> the house is equally nice fortunately.

> Complete opposite here. We bought this place without ever seeing the
> kitchen. When we viewed, its owner had locked herself in the kitchen and
> was slamming around refusing to open the door; she and her husband had
> obviously just had a major row. The husband (also in a vile temper; the
> entire viewing was a whistle stop tour in 5 mins flat) just said "You
> can't go in there". He didn't give a toss about us; the sale closure was
> the following week and he already had five serious auction bidders lined
> up.
>
> Didn't matter because the minute I stepped in this house I knew I was
> going to live here. So a week later we bid and bought it.
>
> When we eventually got access to see the mystery kitchen it was
> awful.. a dark stuffy interior room with terrible old fittings and no
> exterior door or window . But it had one wondrous surprise feature; I
> opened an unexpected door, and found.... a big walk-in cool pantry
> which had never been mentioned, with its walls lined with shelves. I
> still rate finding that pantry as one of the best surprises of my life
> :-) We've since knocked down a kitchen wall to extended and refit the
> kitchen to a lightfilled comfortable and efficient one, it's now my all-
> time favourite.
>
> Janet UK

Sounds like serindipity to me. :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2014 10:07 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/21/2014 10:49 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Then you have some people who reject a place because they don't
>> like the paint color. Aren't you going to want your own fresh
>> coat anyway?
>>
>> nancy

> Yeah, I don't understand the thing about paint. True, some people have
> some pretty wacky shades on their walls. But as far as "fixing things",
> paint is relatively cheap. I don't know why some people can't see past it.

When we were selling our house in New Jersey, the real estate agent said
that people imagine themselves in the house while they are looking.
That's why they tell you to put away and family pictures on the end
tables, etc.

My guess is that people can't imagine themselves living with that color.

We did see a house before we bought this one that had a bathroom that
was decorated in bright blue and green. One wall in each room was
painted an "access color". It was like someone had been watching too
much HGTV. Though we liked the layout and location, the decor just
turned us off and we were fully aware we could change the paint.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:25:56 AM UTC-10, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/20/2014 10:16 PM, Je�us wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 17 May 2014 22:59:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> > > wrote:

> >> Yes, I have heard those are good but I have a small kitchen and insufficient

> >> storage space for one. Whoever designed my kitchen wasn't a cook!

> > Yes, plenty of kitchens like that around, unfortunately.

> > When I was looking for a property 6 years ago, I saw this one on the

> > Internet and it looked good to me. But when I walked into the kitchen

> > here IRL... that sealed the deal. A good kitchen was essential to me.

> > I would hate to go back to an average, tiny kitchen again.

> A good cook can probably function in any size kitchen.
>

> I have always been amazed at the excellent culinary fare that came out
>
> of the tiny apartment kitchens my mother and aunts had in their NYC
>
> metro area apartments.
>

> I lived in an RV (caravan to you) for 9 years. I had a propane
>
> (butane) 3 burner range and small oven. I cooked wonderful meals and
>
> even baked breads in those miniature kitchens.
>

> If the ingredients are good and the cook knows what to do with them, a
>
> hot plate and a microwave can be an adequate kitchen.
>

> That's not to say that all of us have our own idea of a dream kitchen. :-)

Dream kitchens are fine but I like the idea of cooking in small kitchens. It's a lot more interesting that way. I cook a lot of stuff in my $12 rice cooker. Cleaning up afterwards, would be kind of a drag in a RV/caravan, I imagine.

> --
>
> Janet Wilder
>
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
>

> ---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> A good cook can probably function in any size kitchen.
>
> I have always been amazed at the excellent culinary fare that came out of
> the tiny apartment kitchens my mother and aunts had in their NYC metro
> area apartments.
>
> I lived in an RV (caravan to you) for 9 years. I had a propane (butane)
> 3 burner range and small oven. I cooked wonderful meals and even baked
> breads in those miniature kitchens.

We lived mostly in our caravan for around 6 years. DH was travelling
with work and I decided to retire to travel with him. The propane oven was
rubbish (it just didn't get hot enough) and I made bread by using a Dutch
oven on the top of the stove ( I think I may have discussed this already
on the bread group?) I also made sure I cooked all the things I normally
did! People in other caravans on some of the sites we stayed thought I was
bonkers <g> Of course they were on holiday and eating out mostly, but they
used to comment on the things I was cooking

> If the ingredients are good and the cook knows what to do with them, a hot
> plate and a microwave can be an adequate kitchen.

Indeed.

> That's not to say that all of us have our own idea of a dream kitchen. :-)

Quite))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2014 2:40 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> Cleaning up afterwards, would be kind of a drag in a RV/caravan, I imagine.

Not in the two that I lived in They had residential sinks and one even
had a small dish washer (that I hardly ever used). The tiny one we
travel in now is a little tighter. No oven, just a 3 burner propane
stove and a microwave. We have a small portable gas grill that we cook
the proteins on and i make a salad and nuke some veggies.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2014 3:22 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>
>> A good cook can probably function in any size kitchen.
>>
>> I have always been amazed at the excellent culinary fare that came out
>> of the tiny apartment kitchens my mother and aunts had in their NYC
>> metro area apartments.
>>
>> I lived in an RV (caravan to you) for 9 years. I had a propane
>> (butane) 3 burner range and small oven. I cooked wonderful meals and
>> even baked breads in those miniature kitchens.

> We lived mostly in our caravan for around 6 years. DH was
> travelling with work and I decided to retire to travel with him. The
> propane oven was rubbish (it just didn't get hot enough) and I made
> bread by using a Dutch oven on the top of the stove ( I think I may
> have discussed this already on the bread group?) I also made sure I
> cooked all the things I normally did! People in other caravans on some
> of the sites we stayed thought I was bonkers <g> Of course they were on
> holiday and eating out mostly, but they used to comment on the things I
> was cooking

My propane oven did work, but I needed to keep a pizza stone in it so
that the heat was distributed.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 5/21/2014 3:22 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...
>>
>>> A good cook can probably function in any size kitchen.
>>>
>>> I have always been amazed at the excellent culinary fare that came out
>>> of the tiny apartment kitchens my mother and aunts had in their NYC
>>> metro area apartments.
>>>
>>> I lived in an RV (caravan to you) for 9 years. I had a propane
>>> (butane) 3 burner range and small oven. I cooked wonderful meals and
>>> even baked breads in those miniature kitchens.

>> We lived mostly in our caravan for around 6 years. DH was
>> travelling with work and I decided to retire to travel with him. The
>> propane oven was rubbish (it just didn't get hot enough) and I made
>> bread by using a Dutch oven on the top of the stove ( I think I may
>> have discussed this already on the bread group?) I also made sure I
>> cooked all the things I normally did! People in other caravans on some
>> of the sites we stayed thought I was bonkers <g> Of course they were on
>> holiday and eating out mostly, but they used to comment on the things I
>> was cooking

> My propane oven did work, but I needed to keep a pizza stone in it so that
> the heat was distributed.

I tried that but the darned thing's top heat was 300f/150c Flippin'
useless for anything much There are 3 burners on the hob and a low watt
microwave and I used those. Even the grill/broiler was useless. But heck,
you manage eh? Cooking at home again was heavenly It felt very
luxurious

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 May 2014 07:09:35 -0400, The Cook >
wrote:

>On Wed, 21 May 2014 13:16:50 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 17 May 2014 22:59:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>>Yes, I have heard those are good but I have a small kitchen and insufficient
>>>storage space for one. Whoever designed my kitchen wasn't a cook!

>>Yes, plenty of kitchens like that around, unfortunately.
>>
>>When I was looking for a property 6 years ago, I saw this one on the
>>Internet and it looked good to me. But when I walked into the kitchen
>>here IRL... that sealed the deal. A good kitchen was essential to me.
>>I would hate to go back to an average, tiny kitchen again.

>Sounds like me. About 10 years ago we were looking for a house. After
>several looking at several places and having our offer refused on at
>least one, the Realtor said "There is another house I can show you but
>it is a bit over what you wanted to pay." We'll look. We walked into
>the house and into the kitchen. I said "We'll take it." The rest of
>the house is equally nice fortunately.

LOL. I like the last sentence
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like that this is "non-radioactive". I hate when I buy an appliance,
and it turns out to be nuclear-powered.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 May 2014 18:53:08 -0400, Travis McGee

>I like that this is "non-radioactive". I hate when I buy an appliance,
>and it turns out to be nuclear-powered.

Yes, and that green glow at night is eerie.