Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default You must try this recipe!

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 5/18/2014 11:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...
>>>
>>> Try roasting the cauliflower with a little EVOO and some garlic.
>>> Tastes like a whole nother vegetable.

>> Hmmm that I haven't tried! I take it you cut it up first?
>>

> Yes, do cut it up. Let the edges get brown.

How long and at what temp do you cook it? What do you serve it with?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 11:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> On 5/18/2014 4:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> I dislike cauliflower too, but I doctor those veg up to make them
>>> edible, and I manage

>> Try roasting the cauliflower with a little EVOO and some garlic.
>> Tastes like a whole nother vegetable.

> Hmmm that I haven't tried! I take it you cut it up first?

Yes, do cut it up. Let the edges get brown.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 1:07 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> On 5/18/2014 11:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>>> eb.com...

>>> Hmmm that I haven't tried! I take it you cut it up first?
>>>

>> Yes, do cut it up. Let the edges get brown.

> How long and at what temp do you cook it? What do you serve it with?

For roasting, I would do it at 400° F. Don't know the conversion to C.,
Sorry.

Roast for about 15 minutes and check to see if the edges are starting to
brown. Stir once or twice while roasting so that all pieces get brown.
Probably will take 30 minutes or so in all but it depends on the size
of the pieces.

I serve it with roast chicken, lamb chops, steak, fish, as I would any
vegetable.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 5/18/2014 1:07 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...

>>> Yes, do cut it up. Let the edges get brown.

>> How long and at what temp do you cook it? What do you serve it with?
>>

> For roasting, I would do it at 400° F. Don't know the conversion to C.,
> Sorry.

Np. I can do C and F

> Roast for about 15 minutes and check to see if the edges are starting to
> brown. Stir once or twice while roasting so that all pieces get brown.
> Probably will take 30 minutes or so in all but it depends on the size of
> the pieces.
>
> I serve it with roast chicken, lamb chops, steak, fish, as I would any
> vegetable.

Thanks very much! I have half large cauli in the fridge and I will give
that a wee try
Evoo and garlic on there sounds really good!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Hmmm that I haven't tried! I take it you cut it up first?
>>>

>> I did once roast an entire head of cauliflower. Cut off the thick outer
>> green stalks. I creamed butter in a bowl with breadcrumbs seasoned with
>> herbs until I had a sort of paste. Sorry, I don't remember the herbs
>> (thyme, most likely) but there was minced garlic in the mix. I patted
>> this mixture all over the head of cauliflower. Roasted/baked it for about
>> an hour, probably at 375F. It was absolutely delicious.
>>
>> Then again, I like cauliflower.

>Hmmm that actually sounds rather good) I just might have to try that
>one! What do you serve with it?

It's brain food:
http://www.purewow.com/entry_detail/...auliflower.htm
Or let them eat cake, birthday cake, my birthday cake:
http://i61.tinypic.com/2ppk4si.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 2:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> On 5/18/2014 1:07 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>>> eb.com...

>>> How long and at what temp do you cook it? What do you serve it with?
>>>

>> For roasting, I would do it at 400° F. Don't know the conversion to C.,
>> Sorry.

> Np. I can do C and F
>

>> Roast for about 15 minutes and check to see if the edges are starting to
>> brown. Stir once or twice while roasting so that all pieces get brown.
>> Probably will take 30 minutes or so in all but it depends on the size of
>> the pieces.
>>
>> I serve it with roast chicken, lamb chops, steak, fish, as I would any
>> vegetable.

> Thanks very much! I have half large cauli in the fridge and I will give
> that a wee try
> Evoo and garlic on there sounds really good!

Let me know if you like it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> I had to google that That looks pretty big too.
>>> --
>>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

>> It is on a stand next to my microwave cabinet. It's very convenient for
>> me.

> Excellent) Not something I've ever come across before. How often do
> you use it?

Several times a week. Used it just awhile ago for chicken thighs.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 May 2014 10:56:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Yes, I think so. I'm thinking of these guys:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bean
>> They are more commonly found in Aus as either frozen or tinned,
>> although in some areas they can be found fresh.

>I don't think frozen makes any difference although fresh ones are always
>found in the supermarkets here. I mentioned I have been sowing veg and I
>have some plants growing. They are not my favourite as I indicated, but I
>think it is important to get as many fresh veg inside us as I can.

Can't argue with that. As I said previously, I can eat them... I just
don't _love_ them, whereas I love most veggies.

>I dislike cauliflower too, but I doctor those veg up to make them edible, and
>I manage

Ha, cauliflower was a vegetable I once found somewhat boring. Wouldn't
say I hated it though. Since I discovered the wonder of cauliflower
soup though, I haven't looked back. I like a good cauliflower bake as
well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 May 2014 13:19:15 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/18/2014 12:40 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...
>>>
>>> Try roasting the cauliflower with a little EVOO and some garlic.
>>> Tastes like a whole nother vegetable.

>> Hmmm that I haven't tried! I take it you cut it up first?
>>

>I did once roast an entire head of cauliflower. Cut off the thick outer
>green stalks. I creamed butter in a bowl with breadcrumbs seasoned with
>herbs until I had a sort of paste. Sorry, I don't remember the herbs
>(thyme, most likely) but there was minced garlic in the mix. I patted
>this mixture all over the head of cauliflower. Roasted/baked it for
>about an hour, probably at 375F. It was absolutely delicious.

I like the creamed butter idea, will try that with my next cauli,
thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> I did once roast an entire head of cauliflower. Cut off the thick outer
>>> green stalks. I creamed butter in a bowl with breadcrumbs seasoned with
>>> herbs until I had a sort of paste. Sorry, I don't remember the herbs
>>> (thyme, most likely) but there was minced garlic in the mix. I patted
>>> this mixture all over the head of cauliflower. Roasted/baked it for
>>> about
>>> an hour, probably at 375F. It was absolutely delicious.
>>>
>>> Then again, I like cauliflower.

>>Hmmm that actually sounds rather good) I just might have to try that
>>one! What do you serve with it?

> It's brain food:
> http://www.purewow.com/entry_detail/...auliflower.htm

As I said before ... you lost me a curry powder.

> Or let them eat cake, birthday cake, my birthday cake:
> http://i61.tinypic.com/2ppk4si.jpg

So ... you serve it with your birthday cake ... or it is your birthday? If
so, happy birthday!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 5/18/2014 2:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...

>>> For roasting, I would do it at 400° F. Don't know the conversion to C.,
>>> Sorry.

>> Np. I can do C and F
>>

>>> Roast for about 15 minutes and check to see if the edges are starting to
>>> brown. Stir once or twice while roasting so that all pieces get brown.
>>> Probably will take 30 minutes or so in all but it depends on the size of
>>> the pieces.
>>>
>>> I serve it with roast chicken, lamb chops, steak, fish, as I would any
>>> vegetable.

>> Thanks very much! I have half large cauli in the fridge and I will give
>> that a wee try
>> Evoo and garlic on there sounds really good!
>>

> Let me know if you like it.

I will most certainly report back, thanks

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> It is on a stand next to my microwave cabinet. It's very convenient for
>>> me.

>> Excellent) Not something I've ever come across before. How often do
>> you use it?

> Several times a week. Used it just awhile ago for chicken thighs.

Hmmm you are badddd. Now I have to look and see a) if I can find one and b)
where it will fit ))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 May 2014 10:56:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Yes, I think so. I'm thinking of these guys:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bean
>>> They are more commonly found in Aus as either frozen or tinned,
>>> although in some areas they can be found fresh.

>>I don't think frozen makes any difference although fresh ones are always
>>found in the supermarkets here. I mentioned I have been sowing veg and I
>>have some plants growing. They are not my favourite as I indicated, but
>>think it is important to get as many fresh veg inside us as I can.

> Can't argue with that. As I said previously, I can eat them... I just
> don't _love_ them, whereas I love most veggies.

Well we do eat them, but I am always looking for recipes to use them that
makes them taste better

>>I dislike cauliflower too, but I doctor those veg up to make them edible,
>>and
>>I manage

> Ha, cauliflower was a vegetable I once found somewhat boring. Wouldn't
> say I hated it though. Since I discovered the wonder of cauliflower
> soup though, I haven't looked back. I like a good cauliflower bake as
> well.

You have a recipe for Cauliflower bake??? Hmmm come on then, let us see it
please? ))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-18 4:31 PM, Jeßus wrote:

> Ha, cauliflower was a vegetable I once found somewhat boring. Wouldn't
> say I hated it though. Since I discovered the wonder of cauliflower
> soup though, I haven't looked back. I like a good cauliflower bake as
> well.

I have a strange attitude toward cauliflower. If I have not had it for a
long time I really enjoy. But then I don't want to have it again for a
while. Ideally, I could have nice fresh cauliflower about once a month.
Two days in a row?..... I can do it, but it just won't be as good.
FWIW.... nice fresh cauliflower is great steamed ..... and not cooked
until so long that it turns mushy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 1:32 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 5/18/2014 12:40 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>>> eb.com...

>>> Hmmm that I haven't tried! I take it you cut it up first?
>>>

>> I did once roast an entire head of cauliflower. Cut off the thick outer
>> green stalks. I creamed butter in a bowl with breadcrumbs seasoned with
>> herbs until I had a sort of paste. Sorry, I don't remember the herbs
>> (thyme, most likely) but there was minced garlic in the mix. I patted
>> this mixture all over the head of cauliflower. Roasted/baked it for
>> about
>> an hour, probably at 375F. It was absolutely delicious.
>>
>> Then again, I like cauliflower.

> Hmmm that actually sounds rather good) I just might have to try that
> one! What do you serve with it?

Seems to me I served it with baked chicken. I asked John but he didn't
remember.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 5:15 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/18/2014 3:31 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 May 2014 10:56:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> I don't think frozen makes any difference although fresh ones are always
>>> found in the supermarkets here. I mentioned I have been sowing veg
>>> and I
>>> have some plants growing. They are not my favourite as I indicated,
>>> but I
>>> think it is important to get as many fresh veg inside us as I can.

>> Can't argue with that. As I said previously, I can eat them... I just
>> don't _love_ them, whereas I love most veggies.
>>
>>> I dislike cauliflower too, but I doctor those veg up to make them
>>> edible, and
>>> I manage

>> Ha, cauliflower was a vegetable I once found somewhat boring. Wouldn't
>> say I hated it though. Since I discovered the wonder of cauliflower
>> soup though, I haven't looked back. I like a good cauliflower bake as
>> well.
>>

> Sometimes I steam it and puree it with the wand thingie, adding butter,
> cream, salt and white pepper and a dash of freshly grated nutmeg.

It just shows how relevant is "to each their own". Cauliflower always
has been one of my favorite vegetables but I have no enthusiasm for
broccoli. Eaten cooked but cold with French dressing and Beef Paprikash,
it's tolerable.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 3:31 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Sun, 18 May 2014 10:56:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Yes, I think so. I'm thinking of these guys:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bean
>>> They are more commonly found in Aus as either frozen or tinned,
>>> although in some areas they can be found fresh.

>> I don't think frozen makes any difference although fresh ones are always
>> found in the supermarkets here. I mentioned I have been sowing veg and I
>> have some plants growing. They are not my favourite as I indicated, but I
>> think it is important to get as many fresh veg inside us as I can.

> Can't argue with that. As I said previously, I can eat them... I just
> don't _love_ them, whereas I love most veggies.
>
>> I dislike cauliflower too, but I doctor those veg up to make them edible, and
>> I manage

> Ha, cauliflower was a vegetable I once found somewhat boring. Wouldn't
> say I hated it though. Since I discovered the wonder of cauliflower
> soup though, I haven't looked back. I like a good cauliflower bake as
> well.

Sometimes I steam it and puree it with the wand thingie, adding butter,
cream, salt and white pepper and a dash of freshly grated nutmeg.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/18/2014 1:32 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I did once roast an entire head of cauliflower. Cut off the thick outer
>>> green stalks. I creamed butter in a bowl with breadcrumbs seasoned with
>>> herbs until I had a sort of paste. Sorry, I don't remember the herbs
>>> (thyme, most likely) but there was minced garlic in the mix. I patted
>>> this mixture all over the head of cauliflower. Roasted/baked it for
>>> about
>>> an hour, probably at 375F. It was absolutely delicious.
>>>
>>> Then again, I like cauliflower.

>> Hmmm that actually sounds rather good) I just might have to try that
>> one! What do you serve with it?
>>

> Seems to me I served it with baked chicken. I asked John but he didn't
> remember.

Ok I am getting the idea, thanks)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 5/18/2014 5:15 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 5/18/2014 3:31 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>>> On Sun, 18 May 2014 10:56:50 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> Can't argue with that. As I said previously, I can eat them... I just
>>> don't _love_ them, whereas I love most veggies.

>>> Ha, cauliflower was a vegetable I once found somewhat boring. Wouldn't
>>> say I hated it though. Since I discovered the wonder of cauliflower
>>> soup though, I haven't looked back. I like a good cauliflower bake as
>>> well.
>>>

>> Sometimes I steam it and puree it with the wand thingie, adding butter,
>> cream, salt and white pepper and a dash of freshly grated nutmeg.
>>

> It just shows how relevant is "to each their own". Cauliflower always has
> been one of my favorite vegetables but I have no enthusiasm for broccoli.
> Eaten cooked but cold with French dressing and Beef Paprikash, it's
> tolerable.

Hmm I love broccoli but only if it is lightly steamed with butter) The
tiniest bit overcooked and it goes in the compost!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 4:02 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-05-18 4:31 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> Ha, cauliflower was a vegetable I once found somewhat boring. Wouldn't
>> say I hated it though. Since I discovered the wonder of cauliflower
>> soup though, I haven't looked back. I like a good cauliflower bake as
>> well.
>>

> I have a strange attitude toward cauliflower. If I have not had it for a
> long time I really enjoy. But then I don't want to have it again for a
> while. Ideally, I could have nice fresh cauliflower about once a month.
> Two days in a row?..... I can do it, but it just won't be as good.
> FWIW.... nice fresh cauliflower is great steamed ..... and not cooked
> until so long that it turns mushy.

In January and February they bring in the local crop of cauliflower. We
go to a farm market where they mostly sell the stuff that isn't pretty
enough to ship and pick up these mutant cauliflowers, as big as
basketballs, for like $1. They provide at least 4 meals for the two of
us.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 5:15 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/18/2014 3:31 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 May 2014 10:56:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> I don't think frozen makes any difference although fresh ones are always
>>> found in the supermarkets here. I mentioned I have been sowing veg
>>> and I
>>> have some plants growing. They are not my favourite as I indicated,
>>> but I
>>> think it is important to get as many fresh veg inside us as I can.

>> Can't argue with that. As I said previously, I can eat them... I just
>> don't _love_ them, whereas I love most veggies.
>>
>>> I dislike cauliflower too, but I doctor those veg up to make them
>>> edible, and
>>> I manage

>> Ha, cauliflower was a vegetable I once found somewhat boring. Wouldn't
>> say I hated it though. Since I discovered the wonder of cauliflower
>> soup though, I haven't looked back. I like a good cauliflower bake as
>> well.
>>

> Sometimes I steam it and puree it with the wand thingie, adding butter,
> cream, salt and white pepper and a dash of freshly grated nutmeg.

If you puree it in this way it's not a bad substitute for mashed
potatoes in a low-carb diet. My SO loves potatoes, but is on the diet,
and I don't like eating her favorite foods in front of her if she can't
have any (unless, of course, I'm mad at her...), so this can help.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 5:15 PM, James Silverton wrote:

> It just shows how relevant is "to each their own". Cauliflower always
> has been one of my favorite vegetables but I have no enthusiasm for
> broccoli. Eaten cooked but cold with French dressing and Beef Paprikash,
> it's tolerable.

Both of those vegetables are on my What's not to like??
list.

I saw a new vegetable cross yesterday (on The Kitchen, not in
real life). A cross between brussels sprouts and kale. They
said it grows on a stalk like the sprouts. I'm going to keep
an eye out for it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-18 5:19 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/18/2014 4:02 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2014-05-18 4:31 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>>
>>> Ha, cauliflower was a vegetable I once found somewhat boring. Wouldn't
>>> say I hated it though. Since I discovered the wonder of cauliflower
>>> soup though, I haven't looked back. I like a good cauliflower bake as
>>> well.
>>>

>> I have a strange attitude toward cauliflower. If I have not had it for a
>> long time I really enjoy. But then I don't want to have it again for a
>> while. Ideally, I could have nice fresh cauliflower about once a month.
>> Two days in a row?..... I can do it, but it just won't be as good.
>> FWIW.... nice fresh cauliflower is great steamed ..... and not cooked
>> until so long that it turns mushy.

> In January and February they bring in the local crop of cauliflower. We
> go to a farm market where they mostly sell the stuff that isn't pretty

I still remember having my eyes opened about cauliflower. It was in a
Swiss restaurant in a nearby city. It was steamed and just barely cooked
and the taste was wonderful.

> enough to ship and pick up these mutant cauliflowers, as big as
> basketballs, for like $1. They provide at least 4 meals for the two of us.

Despite my above comment about my moment of discover.... go to the one
in the previous post about how good it is when you have not had it for a
long time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-18 5:15 PM, James Silverton wrote:

>> Sometimes I steam it and puree it with the wand thingie, adding butter,
>> cream, salt and white pepper and a dash of freshly grated nutmeg.
>>

> It just shows how relevant is "to each their own". Cauliflower always
> has been one of my favorite vegetables but I have no enthusiasm for
> broccoli.

Well there you go. I am almost the opposite. I really really like to
cauliflower if I have not had it for a while. I know it may sound
strange, but I have not had it for a while and there are few things as
good as nice, fresh, steamed cauliflower, but don't even thing of having
it again for a month. Broccoli OTOH, I could eat almost every day. When
my son was young it was his favourite vegetable. He would always eat his
broccoli first.

Eaten cooked but cold with French dressing and Beef Paprikash,
> it's tolerable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 4:20 PM, Travis McGee wrote:
> On 5/18/2014 5:15 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 5/18/2014 3:31 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>>> On Sun, 18 May 2014 10:56:50 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> Can't argue with that. As I said previously, I can eat them... I just
>>> don't _love_ them, whereas I love most veggies.

>>> Ha, cauliflower was a vegetable I once found somewhat boring. Wouldn't
>>> say I hated it though. Since I discovered the wonder of cauliflower
>>> soup though, I haven't looked back. I like a good cauliflower bake as
>>> well.
>>>

>> Sometimes I steam it and puree it with the wand thingie, adding butter,
>> cream, salt and white pepper and a dash of freshly grated nutmeg.
>>

> If you puree it in this way it's not a bad substitute for mashed
> potatoes in a low-carb diet. My SO loves potatoes, but is on the diet,
> and I don't like eating her favorite foods in front of her if she can't
> have any (unless, of course, I'm mad at her...), so this can help.

We low carb here, too, as DH is diabetic. There is no way he will ever
believe that pureed cauliflower is a substitute for his beloved
potatoes. Luckily, he tolerates potatoes well and we can do restricted
portions of them.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 4:45 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
Broccoli OTOH, I could eat almost every day. When
> my son was young it was his favourite vegetable. He would always eat his
> broccoli first.

I pride myself on the fact that I taught the first husband to eat fish
and broccoli and to dance. The next wife who got him had an easier time
cooking for him but she can't dance.

The current husband will eat anything I serve him (bless his heart). He
was a fine dancer until a couple of years ago when he started having
some shortness of breath.

Me, I still dance and can't wait until this broken knee cap thing heals
so I can dance again.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 5:19 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Hmm I love broccoli but only if it is lightly steamed with butter)
> The tiniest bit overcooked and it goes in the compost!

+1
Frozen broccoli is too mushy for us - it has to be fresh!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 18, 2014 5:34:28 PM UTC-5, S Viemeister wrote:

> Frozen broccoli is too mushy for us - it has to be fresh!

Frozen broccoli is nothing but fresh broccoli that has been flash frozen.
You're cooking it too long or are you buying _cooked_ frozen broccoli?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 May 2014 17:15:34 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>It just shows how relevant is "to each their own". Cauliflower always
>has been one of my favorite vegetables but I have no enthusiasm for
>broccoli. Eaten cooked but cold with French dressing and Beef Paprikash,
>it's tolerable.

Each to their own is so true. I like broccoli, yet when I made
broccoli soup for the first (and probably last time)... hmm, nah. That
surprised me, as I was fully expecting it be delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

> It just shows how relevant is "to each their own". Cauliflower always has
> been one of my favorite vegetables but I have no enthusiasm for broccoli.
> Eaten cooked but cold with French dressing and Beef Paprikash, it's
> tolerable.

I can eat either one raw but would never choose to eat broccoli. Can eat a
small amount of caulifower in something cooked like soup. But put so much
as a speck of cooked broccoli in something? Oh no!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

n 2014-05-18 19:32, Jeßus wrote:

> Each to their own is so true. I like broccoli, yet when I made
> broccoli soup for the first (and probably last time)... hmm, nah. That
> surprised me, as I was fully expecting it be delicious.

Broccoli is one of my favourite vegetables, but it is one of those that
develops a nastiness when overcooked. Soup cooks for a long time, which
probably explains why I usually find brocolli soups disappointing.

That being said... spinach gets even nastier than broccoli with
increased cooking time. A few years ago we were in a Portugese
restaurant in Montreal and the specials came with a choice of Romain
salad or spinach soup. Given my usual reaction to Romaine, I opted for
the spinach soup. I figured I could try a little, share it, just not
eat it. What a surprise it was. It was delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
news
> On 5/18/2014 5:15 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>
>> It just shows how relevant is "to each their own". Cauliflower always
>> has been one of my favorite vegetables but I have no enthusiasm for
>> broccoli. Eaten cooked but cold with French dressing and Beef Paprikash,
>> it's tolerable.

> Both of those vegetables are on my What's not to like??
> list.
>
> I saw a new vegetable cross yesterday (on The Kitchen, not in
> real life). A cross between brussels sprouts and kale. They
> said it grows on a stalk like the sprouts. I'm going to keep
> an eye out for it.

Do report back if you get some?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-05-18 5:15 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>
>>> Sometimes I steam it and puree it with the wand thingie, adding butter,
>>> cream, salt and white pepper and a dash of freshly grated nutmeg.
>>>

>> It just shows how relevant is "to each their own". Cauliflower always
>> has been one of my favorite vegetables but I have no enthusiasm for
>> broccoli.

> Well there you go. I am almost the opposite. I really really like to
> cauliflower if I have not had it for a while. I know it may sound strange,
> but I have not had it for a while and there are few things as good as
> nice, fresh, steamed cauliflower, but don't even thing of having it again
> for a month. Broccoli OTOH, I could eat almost every day. When my son was
> young it was his favourite vegetable. He would always eat his broccoli
> first.

I am growing purple sprouting broccoli. That is a real favourite and I
don't see it in the shops so I haven't had it since the last time I was able
to grow it.

As to cauliflower; ds1 posted a recipe for using cauliflower in place of
dough for a pizza. The flavour was great (mostly from the topping of
course) but the stink!!!! That evening I had gone to bed early and DH saw
the leftover in the fridge and decided to have it for his supper. As it
heated up in the microwave the smell woke me up

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 5/18/2014 5:19 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Hmm I love broccoli but only if it is lightly steamed with butter)
>> The tiniest bit overcooked and it goes in the compost!
>>

> +1
> Frozen broccoli is too mushy for us - it has to be fresh!

I've never tried any and now I never will) Thanks for that info)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
>"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>> On 5/18/2014 5:19 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm I love broccoli but only if it is lightly steamed with butter)
>>> The tiniest bit overcooked and it goes in the compost!
>>>

>> Frozen broccoli is too mushy for us - it has to be fresh!

>I've never tried any and now I never will) Thanks for that info)

I don't find frozen broccoli mushy at all, but you need to buy the
better brands or you get mostly stems... I like Green Giant brand. and
don't over cook it, in fact I don't boil/steam it, I add it frozen to
a pan and stir fry just until hot. I also top pizza with frozen
broccoli. I think most people over cook frozen veggies. I'll defrost
frozen broccoli in the fridge and next day add it a tossed salad with
out any cooking, I do the same with several frozen veggies... they
really don't require cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 May 2014 10:30:18 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> news
> > On 5/18/2014 5:15 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> >
> >> It just shows how relevant is "to each their own". Cauliflower always
> >> has been one of my favorite vegetables but I have no enthusiasm for
> >> broccoli. Eaten cooked but cold with French dressing and Beef Paprikash,
> >> it's tolerable.

> > Both of those vegetables are on my What's not to like??
> > list.
> >
> > I saw a new vegetable cross yesterday (on The Kitchen, not in
> > real life). A cross between brussels sprouts and kale. They
> > said it grows on a stalk like the sprouts. I'm going to keep
> > an eye out for it.

> Do report back if you get some?

Looks like something people will grow at home first. If there's
enough demand it will be grown commercially, but it's hard enough to
find broccoflower, purple cauliflower and Romanesco (which have been
home garden staples for decades) at the grocery store - so I won't
expect it any time soon.
http://www.amazon.com/Kaleidoscope-F.../dp/B008MOCWEI

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2014 5:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I saw a new vegetable cross yesterday (on The Kitchen, not in
>> real life). A cross between brussels sprouts and kale. They
>> said it grows on a stalk like the sprouts. I'm going to keep
>> an eye out for it.

> Do report back if you get some?

I will!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2014 11:39 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 19 May 2014 10:30:18 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> I saw a new vegetable cross yesterday (on The Kitchen, not in
>>> real life). A cross between brussels sprouts and kale.

> Looks like something people will grow at home first. If there's
> enough demand it will be grown commercially, but it's hard enough to
> find broccoflower, purple cauliflower and Romanesco (which have been
> home garden staples for decades) at the grocery store - so I won't
> expect it any time soon.
> http://www.amazon.com/Kaleidoscope-F.../dp/B008MOCWEI

I do not expect to find it at my supermarket, that is a for-sure.
But I live near a produce place that has all those things you
mention, they do tend to carry more unusual items than I can find
elsewhere.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 May 2014 11:52:54 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 5/19/2014 11:39 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 May 2014 10:30:18 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Looks like something people will grow at home first. If there's
>> enough demand it will be grown commercially, but it's hard enough to
>> find broccoflower, purple cauliflower and Romanesco (which have been
>> home garden staples for decades) at the grocery store - so I won't
>> expect it any time soon.
>> http://www.amazon.com/Kaleidoscope-F.../dp/B008MOCWEI

>I do not expect to find it at my supermarket, that is a for-sure.
>But I live near a produce place that has all those things you
>mention, they do tend to carry more unusual items than I can find
>elsewhere.

The local farm stands here sell all those hard to find veggies... I
grow green and purple cabbages but the few times I tried broccoli it
didn't form heads, but had spears at each leaf joint. Kale grows well
here too.