Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default You must try this recipe!

Even you Sheldon! Trust me you'll like it. And sorry, low carbers. You
can't have it. But you might be able to do what I did and increase the
amount of low carb stuff in it. Anyway... This is the basic recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted...r_results_p1i1

I took suggestions from the others and coated the potato pieces with Dijon,
salt and pepper in addition to the olive oil. I didn't use much oil. Just
enough to help keep them from sticking as I didn't want an oily end result.
And in roasting them like this, they didn't get a super crispy exterior but
they did remain nicely firm.

I also use a full rib of celery, a full bunch of green onions, red bell
pepper instead of green, added a goodly handful of parsley, chopped and
increased the amount of bacon. I think I used 10 slices but didn't really
count. Just grabbed what was left in the freezer bag. I also used the Just
Mayo that sf recommended. I also left out the eggs as I can't have them but
plan to serve portions to others with chopped boiled egg as a garnish so
they can mix them in if they wish.

The end result is so very, very good and they say that it only gets better
as it sits. Now it is not at all like your typical deli type potato salad
in terms of flavor. It is just damned good! And because I put so much
bacon in it, I think it would eat like a meal. It is rather dense and
heavy. I think I would serve this with some light, cold accompaniments like
sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. I also think some green beans would be
wonderful in this salad but I know I would stand alone in that, at least in
this house so I won't go there.

Odd thing is, it is a cold salad which you want to eat when it is hot out
but the last thing you'd want to do is roast on a hot day. Not sure how to
solve that one. I plan to let the flavors meld and serve it on Sun. unless
someone gets to it first. Of course our hot weather is no longer but it
will still be nice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 17, 2014 2:10:24 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

This is the basic recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted...r_results_p1i1

This is similar to Melba's Jammin' steakhouse potato salad but no eggs in hers. Her recipe is all I make now when I want 'tater salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 May 2014 00:10:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Even you Sheldon! Trust me you'll like it.

> Can't say for him, but *I* wouldn't.
>
> I don't eat peppers or onions (though I like onion flavor a bit,
> (just not the texture), and CAN'T eat mayo.
>
> The potatoes and bacon I'd love, maybe with some cheese
> and some other seasonings.

Okay then but I'll bet there is probably some sort of mayo you could eat.

This is what I used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Mayo

Unless of course it is a textural thing which I fully understand!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Saturday, May 17, 2014 2:10:24 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> This is the basic recipe:
> http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted...r_results_p1i1
>

> This is similar to Melba's Jammin' steakhouse potato salad but no eggs in
> hers. Her recipe is all I make now when I want 'tater salad.

Oh! I did not know of it. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> Even you Sheldon! Trust me you'll like it. And sorry, low carbers.
> You can't have it. But you might be able to do what I did and
> increase the amount of low carb stuff in it. Anyway... This is the
> basic recipe:
>
> http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted...etail.aspx?eve
> nt8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=roasted%20potato%20salad &e8=Quick%20Search&ev
> ent10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1
>
> I took suggestions from the others and coated the potato pieces with
> Dijon, salt and pepper in addition to the olive oil. I didn't use
> much oil. Just enough to help keep them from sticking as I didn't
> want an oily end result. And in roasting them like this, they didn't
> get a super crispy exterior but they did remain nicely firm.
>
> I also use a full rib of celery, a full bunch of green onions, red
> bell pepper instead of green, added a goodly handful of parsley,
> chopped and increased the amount of bacon. I think I used 10 slices
> but didn't really count. Just grabbed what was left in the freezer
> bag. I also used the Just Mayo that sf recommended. I also left out
> the eggs as I can't have them but plan to serve portions to others
> with chopped boiled egg as a garnish so they can mix them in if they
> wish.
>
> The end result is so very, very good and they say that it only gets
> better as it sits.

Please let the potato salad "sit" for a long time, then eat a lot of it.

--
--Bryan

"Happy ****ing 'new years' that was when me and my father
had to identify her dead mud covered body they pulled from
the family car she'd driven into the Mississippi river!"
--John Kuthe in rec.food.cooking, 3-7-2014

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 May 2014 00:10:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>This is the basic recipe:
>
>http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted...r_results_p1i1
>
>I took suggestions from the others

Yes, noted...

>and coated the potato pieces with Dijon,
>salt and pepper in addition to the olive oil. I didn't use much oil. Just
>enough to help keep them from sticking as I didn't want an oily end result.
>And in roasting them like this, they didn't get a super crispy exterior but
>they did remain nicely firm.
>
>I also use a full rib of celery, a full bunch of green onions, red bell
>pepper instead of green, added a goodly handful of parsley, chopped and
>increased the amount of bacon. I think I used 10 slices but didn't really
>count. Just grabbed what was left in the freezer bag. I also used the Just
>Mayo that sf recommended. I also left out the eggs as I can't have them but
>plan to serve portions to others with chopped boiled egg as a garnish so
>they can mix them in if they wish.
>
>The end result is so very, very good and they say that it only gets better
>as it sits. Now it is not at all like your typical deli type potato salad
>in terms of flavor. It is just damned good! And because I put so much
>bacon in it, I think it would eat like a meal. It is rather dense and
>heavy. I think I would serve this with some light, cold accompaniments like
>sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. I also think some green beans would be
>wonderful in this salad but I know I would stand alone in that, at least in
>this house so I won't go there.

If they're they green beans I'm thinking of, I'm not very partial to
them myself, although I can still eat them. I do like the idea behind
this recipe though and will try it some day.

>Odd thing is, it is a cold salad which you want to eat when it is hot out
>but the last thing you'd want to do is roast on a hot day. Not sure how to
>solve that one.

Something like this is okay for roasting on hot days:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111262447613
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message

> If they're they green beans I'm thinking of, I'm not very partial to
> them myself, although I can still eat them. I do like the idea behind
> this recipe though and will try it some day.

Are you thinking of green/french/runner type beans? If so, I am with you on
them. To make them palatable, I toss in butter and a little very good
balsamic vinegar. It makes a big difference - to me.

>>Odd thing is, it is a cold salad which you want to eat when it is hot out
>>but the last thing you'd want to do is roast on a hot day. Not sure how
>>solve that one.

> Something like this is okay for roasting on hot days:
> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111262447613

Never fancied one of those. I see the heat comes only from the top? Is
that right? It is also a very large bit of kit for what it is.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>
>> If they're they green beans I'm thinking of, I'm not very partial to
>> them myself, although I can still eat them. I do like the idea behind
>> this recipe though and will try it some day.

> Are you thinking of green/french/runner type beans? If so, I am with you
> on them. To make them palatable, I toss in butter and a little very good
> balsamic vinegar. It makes a big difference - to me.
>

>>>Odd thing is, it is a cold salad which you want to eat when it is hot out
>>>but the last thing you'd want to do is roast on a hot day. Not sure how
>>>solve that one.

>> Something like this is okay for roasting on hot days:
>> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111262447613

> Never fancied one of those. I see the heat comes only from the top? Is
> that right? It is also a very large bit of kit for what it is.

I have this one, but I think I've used it maybe twice. It just seems unhandy
to use to me, but I might try it on the patio this summer when it gets
really hot.

http://www.amazon.com/Secura-Infrare...s=halogen+oven

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>
>>> If they're they green beans I'm thinking of, I'm not very partial to
>>> them myself, although I can still eat them. I do like the idea behind
>>> this recipe though and will try it some day.

>> Are you thinking of green/french/runner type beans? If so, I am with you
>> on them. To make them palatable, I toss in butter and a little very
>> good balsamic vinegar. It makes a big difference - to me.

>>> Something like this is okay for roasting on hot days:
>>> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111262447613

>> Never fancied one of those. I see the heat comes only from the top? Is
>> that right? It is also a very large bit of kit for what it is.

> I have this one, but I think I've used it maybe twice. It just seems
> unhandy to use to me, but I might try it on the patio this summer when it
> gets really hot.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Secura-Infrare...s=halogen+oven

Yes, I can see it might be useful outside! Hope it works out well for you.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 May 2014 13:29:10 +0000 (UTC), "Winters_Lackey"

:

>> Even you Sheldon! Trust me you'll like it. And sorry, low carbers.
>> You can't have it. But you might be able to do what I did and
>> increase the amount of low carb stuff in it. Anyway... This is the
>> basic recipe:
>>
>> http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted...etail.aspx?eve
>> nt8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=roasted%20potato%20salad &e8=Quick%20Search&ev
>> ent10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1
>>
>> I took suggestions from the others and coated the potato pieces with
>> Dijon, salt and pepper in addition to the olive oil. I didn't use
>> much oil. Just enough to help keep them from sticking as I didn't
>> want an oily end result. And in roasting them like this, they didn't
>> get a super crispy exterior but they did remain nicely firm.
>>
>> I also use a full rib of celery, a full bunch of green onions, red
>> bell pepper instead of green, added a goodly handful of parsley,
>> chopped and increased the amount of bacon. I think I used 10 slices
>> but didn't really count. Just grabbed what was left in the freezer
>> bag. I also used the Just Mayo that sf recommended. I also left out
>> the eggs as I can't have them but plan to serve portions to others
>> with chopped boiled egg as a garnish so they can mix them in if they
>> wish.
>>
>> The end result is so very, very good and they say that it only gets
>> better as it sits.
>>

>Please let the potato salad "sit" for a long time, then eat a lot of it.

Please see a psychatrist, Bryan. You are mentally ill, or "disturbed"
or whatever we call it these days. You need therapy. It is not healthy
to hate as you do.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 May 2014 21:59:55 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .

>> If they're they green beans I'm thinking of, I'm not very partial to
>> them myself, although I can still eat them. I do like the idea behind
>> this recipe though and will try it some day.

>Are you thinking of green/french/runner type beans? If so, I am with you on
>them.

Yes, I think so. I'm thinking of these guys:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bean
They are more commonly found in Aus as either frozen or tinned,
although in some areas they can be found fresh.

>To make them palatable, I toss in butter and a little very good
>balsamic vinegar. It makes a big difference - to me.

Thanks! I'll try that one day whenever I can get my hands on some
again.

>>>Odd thing is, it is a cold salad which you want to eat when it is hot out
>>>but the last thing you'd want to do is roast on a hot day. Not sure how
>>>solve that one.

>> Something like this is okay for roasting on hot days:
>> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111262447613

>Never fancied one of those. I see the heat comes only from the top? Is
>that right? It is also a very large bit of kit for what it is.

I never used one myself to be honest, but a g/f of mine did have one
(not the same brand) and used it a *lot*. I must say the roasts did
come out quite good - both meat and veggies. If you didn't have an
oven, one of these would be a viable alternative for small roasts etc.
I have no real need for one myself, I just thought it would be a
solution to baking/roasting in hot weather.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 May 2014 21:59:55 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>
> > If they're they green beans I'm thinking of, I'm not very partial to
> > them myself, although I can still eat them. I do like the idea behind
> > this recipe though and will try it some day.

> Are you thinking of green/french/runner type beans? If so, I am with you on
> them. To make them palatable, I toss in butter and a little very good
> balsamic vinegar. It makes a big difference - to me.
>

> >>Odd thing is, it is a cold salad which you want to eat when it is hot out
> >>but the last thing you'd want to do is roast on a hot day. Not sure how
> >>solve that one.

> > Something like this is okay for roasting on hot days:
> > http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111262447613

> Never fancied one of those. I see the heat comes only from the top? Is
> that right? It is also a very large bit of kit for what it is.

It's one of those turbo things. Convection. Where do you store a
bulky item like that? My BIL had something similar, bragged all the
time about using it and then he didn't. No idea if it broke, wore out
or if he finally decided it was too much effort. I think about asking
every now and then, but never when I'm actually talking to him.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 May 2014 15:54:12 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 17 May 2014 21:59:55 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> > Something like this is okay for roasting on hot days:
>> > http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111262447613

>> Never fancied one of those. I see the heat comes only from the top? Is
>> that right? It is also a very large bit of kit for what it is.

>It's one of those turbo things. Convection.

That's the one.

>Where do you store a bulky item like that?

You don't. You leave it on the bench. And if you have to store it,
that means you're not using it often enough and probably don't need
one to begin with.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 May 2014 21:59:55 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>
>> > If they're they green beans I'm thinking of, I'm not very partial to
>> > them myself, although I can still eat them. I do like the idea behind
>> > this recipe though and will try it some day.

>> Are you thinking of green/french/runner type beans? If so, I am with you
>> on
>> them. To make them palatable, I toss in butter and a little very good
>> balsamic vinegar. It makes a big difference - to me.

>> > Something like this is okay for roasting on hot days:
>> > http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111262447613

>> Never fancied one of those. I see the heat comes only from the top? Is
>> that right? It is also a very large bit of kit for what it is.

> It's one of those turbo things. Convection. Where do you store a
> bulky item like that? My BIL had something similar, bragged all the
> time about using it and then he didn't. No idea if it broke, wore out
> or if he finally decided it was too much effort. I think about asking
> every now and then, but never when I'm actually talking to him.

I don't have a problem with storage, it's just more trouble than the Nu-Wave
which I use often.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 May 2014 00:10:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>>This is the basic recipe:
>>
>>http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted...r_results_p1i1
>>
>>I took suggestions from the others

> Yes, noted...
>
>>and coated the potato pieces with Dijon,
>>salt and pepper in addition to the olive oil. I didn't use much oil.
>>Just
>>enough to help keep them from sticking as I didn't want an oily end
>>result.
>>And in roasting them like this, they didn't get a super crispy exterior
>>but
>>they did remain nicely firm.
>>
>>I also use a full rib of celery, a full bunch of green onions, red bell
>>pepper instead of green, added a goodly handful of parsley, chopped and
>>increased the amount of bacon. I think I used 10 slices but didn't really
>>count. Just grabbed what was left in the freezer bag. I also used the
>>Just
>>Mayo that sf recommended. I also left out the eggs as I can't have them
>>but
>>plan to serve portions to others with chopped boiled egg as a garnish so
>>they can mix them in if they wish.
>>
>>The end result is so very, very good and they say that it only gets better
>>as it sits. Now it is not at all like your typical deli type potato salad
>>in terms of flavor. It is just damned good! And because I put so much
>>bacon in it, I think it would eat like a meal. It is rather dense and
>>heavy. I think I would serve this with some light, cold accompaniments
>>like
>>sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. I also think some green beans would be
>>wonderful in this salad but I know I would stand alone in that, at least
>>in
>>this house so I won't go there.

> If they're they green beans I'm thinking of, I'm not very partial to
> them myself, although I can still eat them. I do like the idea behind
> this recipe though and will try it some day.
>
>>Odd thing is, it is a cold salad which you want to eat when it is hot out
>>but the last thing you'd want to do is roast on a hot day. Not sure how
>>solve that one.

> Something like this is okay for roasting on hot days:
> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111262447613

Yes, I have heard those are good but I have a small kitchen and insufficient
storage space for one. Whoever designed my kitchen wasn't a cook!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>
>> If they're they green beans I'm thinking of, I'm not very partial to
>> them myself, although I can still eat them. I do like the idea behind
>> this recipe though and will try it some day.

> Are you thinking of green/french/runner type beans? If so, I am with you
> on them. To make them palatable, I toss in butter and a little very good
> balsamic vinegar. It makes a big difference - to me.

Hmmm... I'm a picky eater and I don't think I've ever had green beans that
I didn't like unless they were mixed with ham. It's the ham that I don't
like and even a little in there seems to make them greasy. I do like them
with bacon though. Don't think I have had them with balsamic but probably
wouldn't like them that way as I am not a vinegar lover. Back when I used
to eat Caprese/Caprice...whatever you want to call it...fresh mozzarella,
tomatoes and basil, I liked it all except for the balsamic part.

Then again, maybe I did have them that way. I had a green bean salad at the
Rustic Inn on Staten Island and loved it except that it was far too much
food. And for some reason it was served in a giant puff pasty cone. I
didn't really get that part at all. It had been listed as the appetizer
special and perhaps it was meant for the enitre table? There surely was
enough food for the three of us and the next two tables over as well! That
may have had balsamic in it but it was so many years ago, I don't remember.
It was also the first meal we had ordered on Staten Island. We learned well
from that meal. Staten Island portions are HUGE! We wound up ordering so
much stuff that we couldn't even make a dent in it. And we couldn't take
the leftovers home, partly because our household goods hadn't arrive. No
way to reheat and no dishes in the house. I also think we were not going
straight home which would explain why I didn't take the cold foods like the
salad. So... I only ate a small amount of the green bean salad because we
had so many other things on the table to try.

>>>Odd thing is, it is a cold salad which you want to eat when it is hot out
>>>but the last thing you'd want to do is roast on a hot day. Not sure how
>>>solve that one.

>> Something like this is okay for roasting on hot days:
>> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111262447613

> Never fancied one of those. I see the heat comes only from the top? Is
> that right? It is also a very large bit of kit for what it is.
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>
>>> If they're they green beans I'm thinking of, I'm not very partial to
>>> them myself, although I can still eat them. I do like the idea behind
>>> this recipe though and will try it some day.

>> Are you thinking of green/french/runner type beans? If so, I am with you
>> on them. To make them palatable, I toss in butter and a little very
>> good balsamic vinegar. It makes a big difference - to me.

>>> Something like this is okay for roasting on hot days:
>>> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111262447613

>> Never fancied one of those. I see the heat comes only from the top? Is
>> that right? It is also a very large bit of kit for what it is.

> I have this one, but I think I've used it maybe twice. It just seems
> unhandy to use to me, but I might try it on the patio this summer when it
> gets really hot.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Secura-Infrare...s=halogen+oven

I think it would be best suited to someone without a full kitchen but... If
you don't have a full kitchen, you usually don't have a lot of space either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 17 May 2014 21:59:55 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> Are you thinking of green/french/runner type beans? If so, I am with
>>> you on
>>> them. To make them palatable, I toss in butter and a little very good
>>> balsamic vinegar. It makes a big difference - to me.

>>> Never fancied one of those. I see the heat comes only from the top? Is
>>> that right? It is also a very large bit of kit for what it is.

>> It's one of those turbo things. Convection. Where do you store a
>> bulky item like that? My BIL had something similar, bragged all the
>> time about using it and then he didn't. No idea if it broke, wore out
>> or if he finally decided it was too much effort. I think about asking
>> every now and then, but never when I'm actually talking to him.

> I don't have a problem with storage, it's just more trouble than the
> Nu-Wave which I use often.

Angela is enamored with the Nu-Wave.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 1:06 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Hmmm... I'm a picky eater and I don't think I've ever had green beans
> that I didn't like unless they were mixed with ham. It's the ham that I
> don't like and even a little in there seems to make them greasy.

Er, OK - so what's the matter with the above statements the heifer's
written??? It doesn't like green beans unless they're mixed with ham -
AND ---- oooh, wait for it!!!!! - It doesn't like
green-beans-with-ham!!!!! Er, how's that for an illogical contradiction?!

(snip)

> I had a green bean salad at
> the Rustic Inn on Staten Island and loved it except that it was far too
> much food.

Doesn't like beans but ordered those anyway at a restaurant - Gimme a
break !!! Ohh - the drama! - give me a TV soap-opera any day of the
week even though I do not watch those types of shows - don't need to
with bovine's ceaseless comedy here - that's plenty of entertainment here.

(snip again)

Sky,

who - like some others here - finds the humor and entertainment of the
heifer's lame excuses for anything - yeah, yeah .... it's a broken pipe
that keeps leaking... and leaking ... and leaking - too bad it can't
audition for the Energizer Bunny wearing a cowsuit, shudders & all!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 1:30 AM, Sky wrote:
> On 5/18/2014 1:06 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm... I'm a picky eater and I don't think I've ever had green beans
>> that I didn't like unless they were mixed with ham. It's the ham that I
>> don't like and even a little in there seems to make them greasy.

OK - I may have read its statement incorrectly and got backwards. When
it said "I've never had green beans that I didn't like" - perhaps it
meant it liked green beans after all. It'd've been much easier to
understand that one "likes green beans except when mixed with ham".
Such convultions!

My bad and apology

Sky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message

> Yes, I think so. I'm thinking of these guys:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bean
> They are more commonly found in Aus as either frozen or tinned,
> although in some areas they can be found fresh.

I don't think frozen makes any difference although fresh ones are always
found in the supermarkets here. I mentioned I have been sowing veg and I
have some plants growing. They are not my favourite as I indicated, but I
think it is important to get as many fresh veg inside us as I can. I
dislike cauliflower too, but I doctor those veg up to make them edible, and
I manage

>>> Something like this is okay for roasting on hot days:
>>> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111262447613

>>Never fancied one of those. I see the heat comes only from the top? Is
>>that right? It is also a very large bit of kit for what it is.

> I never used one myself to be honest, but a g/f of mine did have one
> (not the same brand) and used it a *lot*. I must say the roasts did
> come out quite good - both meat and veggies. If you didn't have an
> oven, one of these would be a viable alternative for small roasts etc.
> I have no real need for one myself, I just thought it would be a
> solution to baking/roasting in hot weather.

Yes I expect it would.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 May 2014 21:59:55 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>
>> > If they're they green beans I'm thinking of, I'm not very partial to
>> > them myself, although I can still eat them. I do like the idea behind
>> > this recipe though and will try it some day.

>> Are you thinking of green/french/runner type beans? If so, I am with you
>> on
>> them. To make them palatable, I toss in butter and a little very good
>> balsamic vinegar. It makes a big difference - to me.

>> > Something like this is okay for roasting on hot days:
>> > http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111262447613

>> Never fancied one of those. I see the heat comes only from the top? Is
>> that right? It is also a very large bit of kit for what it is.

> It's one of those turbo things. Convection. Where do you store a
> bulky item like that? My BIL had something similar, bragged all the
> time about using it and then he didn't. No idea if it broke, wore out
> or if he finally decided it was too much effort. I think about asking
> every now and then, but never when I'm actually talking to him.

I wouldn't want one in the kitchen but I think the way Cheri intends to use
it would be good.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

>> It's one of those turbo things. Convection. Where do you store a
>> bulky item like that? My BIL had something similar, bragged all the
>> time about using it and then he didn't. No idea if it broke, wore out
>> or if he finally decided it was too much effort. I think about asking
>> every now and then, but never when I'm actually talking to him.

> I don't have a problem with storage, it's just more trouble than the
> Nu-Wave which I use often.

I had to google that That looks pretty big too.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> On 5/18/2014 1:30 AM, Sky wrote:
>> On 5/18/2014 1:06 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmmm... I'm a picky eater and I don't think I've ever had green beans
>>> that I didn't like unless they were mixed with ham. It's the ham that I
>>> don't like and even a little in there seems to make them greasy.

> OK - I may have read its statement incorrectly and got backwards. When it
> said "I've never had green beans that I didn't like" - perhaps it meant it
> liked green beans after all. It'd've been much easier to understand that
> one "likes green beans except when mixed with ham". Such convultions!
>
> My bad and apology

*It* liked them?

Ok, henceforth you shall be referred to as 'scum' Fair?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Sky" > wrote in message

>> OK - I may have read its statement incorrectly and got backwards. When
>> it
>> said "I've never had green beans that I didn't like" - perhaps it meant
>> it
>> liked green beans after all. It'd've been much easier to understand that
>> one "likes green beans except when mixed with ham". Such convultions!
>>
>> My bad and apology

> *It* liked them?
>
> Ok, henceforth you shall be referred to as 'scum' Fair?

It is to me!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 5:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Sky" > wrote in message

>> OK - I may have read its statement incorrectly and got backwards.
>> When it
>> said "I've never had green beans that I didn't like" - perhaps it
>> meant it
>> liked green beans after all. It'd've been much easier to understand that
>> one "likes green beans except when mixed with ham". Such convultions!
>>
>> My bad and apology

> *It* liked them?
>
> Ok, henceforth you shall be referred to as 'scum' Fair?

What, can't do better than scum? What about 'slime'? how about 'scale'
- but then again - perhaps not ;>

Sky, who's having a wry sense of humor these days

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> On 5/18/2014 5:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> OK - I may have read its statement incorrectly and got backwards.
>>> When it
>>> said "I've never had green beans that I didn't like" - perhaps it
>>> meant it
>>> liked green beans after all. It'd've been much easier to understand
>>> that
>>> one "likes green beans except when mixed with ham". Such convultions!
>>>
>>> My bad and apology

>> *It* liked them?
>>
>> Ok, henceforth you shall be referred to as 'scum' Fair?

> What, can't do better than scum? What about 'slime'? how about 'scale' -
> but then again - perhaps not ;>
>
> Sky, who's having a wry sense of humor these days

No, scum will do just fine. I could call you 'it' of course ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 5:57 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Sky" > wrote in message

>>> *It* liked them?
>>>
>>> Ok, henceforth you shall be referred to as 'scum' Fair?

>> What, can't do better than scum? What about 'slime'? how about 'scale' -
>> but then again - perhaps not ;>
>>
>> Sky, who's having a wry sense of humor these days

> No, scum will do just fine. I could call you 'it' of course ...

Where's your imagination or indeed - vocabulary ? You are unable to
come up with your own adjective ? darn ! Jeeze - come on ! :>

Sky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> On 5/18/2014 5:57 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> What, can't do better than scum? What about 'slime'? how about
>>> 'scale' -
>>> but then again - perhaps not ;>
>>>
>>> Sky, who's having a wry sense of humor these days

>> No, scum will do just fine. I could call you 'it' of course ...
>>

> Where's your imagination or indeed - vocabulary ? You are unable to come
> up with your own adjective ? darn ! Jeeze - come on ! :>

You are wasting your time. I guess you think you are a superior being,
looking down your long nose at all the inferior beings posting here. Not in
my book. You disgust me.

*plonk*

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Angela is enamored with the Nu-Wave.

I love mine, have had one for several years, so easy to use, so easy to
clean, and great results. The domes can be a problem with small cracks
though.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>>> It's one of those turbo things. Convection. Where do you store a
>>> bulky item like that? My BIL had something similar, bragged all the
>>> time about using it and then he didn't. No idea if it broke, wore out
>>> or if he finally decided it was too much effort. I think about asking
>>> every now and then, but never when I'm actually talking to him.

>> I don't have a problem with storage, it's just more trouble than the
>> Nu-Wave which I use often.

> I had to google that That looks pretty big too.
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

It is on a stand next to my microwave cabinet. It's very convenient for me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 8:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Sky" > wrote in message
>>
>> Where's your imagination or indeed - vocabulary ? You are unable to come
>> up with your own adjective ? darn ! Jeeze - come on ! :>

> You are wasting your time. I guess you think you are a superior being,
> looking down your long nose at all the inferior beings posting here.
> Not in my book. You disgust me.
>
> *plonk*

Dang, that's all you can come up with - just "plonk" - not even a
'plinck' or a 'plank'? Darn, too cute and funny

Sky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> I don't have a problem with storage, it's just more trouble than the
>>> Nu-Wave which I use often.

>> I had to google that That looks pretty big too.
>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> It is on a stand next to my microwave cabinet. It's very convenient for
> me.

Excellent) Not something I've ever come across before. How often do you
use it?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 4:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> I dislike cauliflower too, but I doctor those veg up to make them
> edible, and I manage

Try roasting the cauliflower with a little EVOO and some garlic. Tastes
like a whole nother vegetable.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 5/18/2014 4:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> I dislike cauliflower too, but I doctor those veg up to make them
>> edible, and I manage

> Try roasting the cauliflower with a little EVOO and some garlic. Tastes
> like a whole nother vegetable.

Hmmm that I haven't tried! I take it you cut it up first?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 12:34 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/18/2014 4:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> I dislike cauliflower too, but I doctor those veg up to make them
>> edible, and I manage

> Try roasting the cauliflower with a little EVOO and some garlic. Tastes
> like a whole nother vegetable.

I absolutely adore roasted cauliflower! I just brush it lightly with
oil, no garlic in this instance, sprinkle lightly with salt and roast
it. Yummm!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 12:40 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> On 5/18/2014 4:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> I dislike cauliflower too, but I doctor those veg up to make them
>>> edible, and I manage

>> Try roasting the cauliflower with a little EVOO and some garlic.
>> Tastes like a whole nother vegetable.

> Hmmm that I haven't tried! I take it you cut it up first?

I did once roast an entire head of cauliflower. Cut off the thick outer
green stalks. I creamed butter in a bowl with breadcrumbs seasoned with
herbs until I had a sort of paste. Sorry, I don't remember the herbs
(thyme, most likely) but there was minced garlic in the mix. I patted
this mixture all over the head of cauliflower. Roasted/baked it for
about an hour, probably at 375F. It was absolutely delicious.

Then again, I like cauliflower.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-18 1:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/18/2014 12:34 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 5/18/2014 4:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> I dislike cauliflower too, but I doctor those veg up to make them
>>> edible, and I manage

>> Try roasting the cauliflower with a little EVOO and some garlic. Tastes
>> like a whole nother vegetable.

> I absolutely adore roasted cauliflower! I just brush it lightly with
> oil, no garlic in this instance, sprinkle lightly with salt and roast
> it. Yummm!

I tried a recipe I saw on FN.... marinated in yoghurt and curry powder
and grilled. It was delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/18/2014 12:40 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...
>>>
>>> Try roasting the cauliflower with a little EVOO and some garlic.
>>> Tastes like a whole nother vegetable.

>> Hmmm that I haven't tried! I take it you cut it up first?
>>

> I did once roast an entire head of cauliflower. Cut off the thick outer
> green stalks. I creamed butter in a bowl with breadcrumbs seasoned with
> herbs until I had a sort of paste. Sorry, I don't remember the herbs
> (thyme, most likely) but there was minced garlic in the mix. I patted
> this mixture all over the head of cauliflower. Roasted/baked it for about
> an hour, probably at 375F. It was absolutely delicious.
>
> Then again, I like cauliflower.

Hmmm that actually sounds rather good) I just might have to try that
one! What do you serve with it?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-05-18 1:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Try roasting the cauliflower with a little EVOO and some garlic. Tastes
>>> like a whole nother vegetable.

>> I absolutely adore roasted cauliflower! I just brush it lightly with
>> oil, no garlic in this instance, sprinkle lightly with salt and roast
>> it. Yummm!
>>

> I tried a recipe I saw on FN.... marinated in yoghurt and curry powder and
> grilled. It was delicious.

I was with you until the curry powder ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/