Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2014-01-25) New Survey on the RFC site: What's in a (meal) name?

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Vote now! (or not)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

MCINL = My Choice Is Not Listed
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy
>
> MCINL = My Choice Is Not Listed

Good to see these back, and the new hats are the bees' knees.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> news
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >
> > Vote now! (or not)
> > -- Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy
> >
> > MCINL = My Choice Is Not Listed

> Good to see these back, and the new hats are the bees' knees.
>
> pavane

Me too!

Do we still have the occasional chat times?

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
>> Good to see these back, and the new hats are the bees' knees.
>>
>> pavane

> Me too!
>
> Do we still have the occasional chat times?

Yes, it is really nice to have Cathy back where she belongs)

btw is it still the first poster that gets the hat?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 16:18:39 -0500, pavane wrote:

> Good to see these back, and the new hats are the bees' knees.

Glad you like 'em (but the hats are not *that* new) <g>

Is is safe to assume you voted first? If not, somebody else needs to 'own
up' so I can award one ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 16:18:39 -0500, pavane wrote:
>

> > Good to see these back, and the new hats are the bees' knees.

> Glad you like 'em (but the hats are not that new) <g>
>
> Is is safe to assume you voted first? If not, somebody else needs to
> 'own up' so I can award one ;-)

Haha wasn't me! I was something like 18th or so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 16:18:39 -0500, pavane wrote:
>

>> Good to see these back, and the new hats are the bees' knees.

> Glad you like 'em (but the hats are not *that* new) <g>
>
> Is is safe to assume you voted first? If not, somebody else needs to 'own
> up' so I can award one ;-)

In which case I am owed one <g> I posted something first the other day but I
can't remember which lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 22:13:39 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 16:18:39 -0500, pavane wrote:
>>

>>> Good to see these back, and the new hats are the bees' knees.

>> Glad you like 'em (but the hats are not *that* new) <g>
>>
>> Is is safe to assume you voted first? If not, somebody else needs to
>> 'own up' so I can award one ;-)

> In which case I am owed one <g> I posted something first the other day but
> I can't remember which lol

Well, that doesn't really help O <laugh> If you remember which one it was,
lemme know ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 22:13:39 +0000, Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Glad you like 'em (but the hats are not *that* new) <g>
>>>
>>> Is is safe to assume you voted first? If not, somebody else needs to
>>> 'own up' so I can award one ;-)

>> In which case I am owed one <g> I posted something first the other day
>> but
>> I can't remember which lol

> Well, that doesn't really help O <laugh> If you remember which one it was,
> lemme know ;-)

What were the subjects of the last 3? <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 22:29:07 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

> What were the subjects of the last 3? <g>

If you click on the "Other survey results:" drop-down on the results page
it shows them ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 22:29:07 +0000, Ophelia wrote:
>

>> What were the subjects of the last 3? <g>

> If you click on the "Other survey results:" drop-down on the results page
> it shows them ;-)

Hard to remember because I enter them all, but I think it might have been
the paper vs electronic!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 23:04:10 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 22:29:07 +0000, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>>> What were the subjects of the last 3? <g>

>> If you click on the "Other survey results:" drop-down on the results
>> page it shows them ;-)

> Hard to remember because I enter them all, but I think it might have been
> the paper vs electronic!

Well, if there's no other takers... it's yours <g>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 23:04:10 +0000, Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> If you click on the "Other survey results:" drop-down on the results
>>> page it shows them ;-)

>> Hard to remember because I enter them all, but I think it might have been
>> the paper vs electronic!

> Well, if there's no other takers... it's yours <g>

LOLOL Thank you ma'am <g> Now I have a trio!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

THIS dumb Amurikan wants to know how you 'tea at 4' cultures manage it. First off, I can't see how anyone can hold a fulltime job and enjoy a tea. Hell, many women here can't even put a dinner together after a hard day, but rely on Hamb Helper.

If you are familiar with the tea at 4 cultures, when does the evening meal happen? Surely, there is paid help in the house too? Please explain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/25/2014 7:46 PM, Kalmia wrote:

> THIS dumb Amurikan wants to know how you 'tea at 4' cultures manage it.
> First off, I can't see how anyone can hold a fulltime job and enjoy a

tea.
> Hell, many women here can't even put a dinner together after a hard day,
> but rely on Hamb Helper.

Or the husband can make dinner.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-25 20:46, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 1/25/2014 7:46 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>>
>> THIS dumb Amurikan wants to know how you 'tea at 4' cultures manage it.
> > First off, I can't see how anyone can hold a fulltime job and enjoy a

> tea.
> > Hell, many women here can't even put a dinner together after a hard day,
> > but rely on Hamb Helper.

> Or the husband can make dinner.

I did it for years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/25/2014 8:52 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-01-25 20:46, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 1/25/2014 7:46 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>>>
>>> THIS dumb Amurikan wants to know how you 'tea at 4' cultures manage it.
>> > First off, I can't see how anyone can hold a fulltime job and enjoy a

>> tea.
>> > Hell, many women here can't even put a dinner together after a hard

>> day,
>> > but rely on Hamb Helper.

>> Or the husband can make dinner.

> I did it for years.

I believe that. Truth is, people do have really busy days
where it's hard to get dinner on the table with everything
going on. My friends with children did a lot of weekend
cooking, or maybe it was breakfast for dinner sometimes.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 1/25/2014 8:52 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> tea.
>>> day,
>>>
>>> Or the husband can make dinner.

>> I did it for years.

> I believe that. Truth is, people do have really busy days
> where it's hard to get dinner on the table with everything
> going on. My friends with children did a lot of weekend
> cooking, or maybe it was breakfast for dinner sometimes.
>
> nancy

I always love breakfast for dinner.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/25/2014 9:00 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I believe that. Truth is, people do have really busy days
>> where it's hard to get dinner on the table with everything
>> going on. My friends with children did a lot of weekend
>> cooking, or maybe it was breakfast for dinner sometimes.

> I always love breakfast for dinner.

Works for me!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 21:47:41 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

> On 1/25/2014 9:00 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> I believe that. Truth is, people do have really busy days where it's
>>> hard to get dinner on the table with everything going on. My friends
>>> with children did a lot of weekend cooking, or maybe it was breakfast
>>> for dinner sometimes.

>> I always love breakfast for dinner.

> Works for me!

Me three! - as long as said breakfast contains bacon and eggs <g>. I can't
bring myself to call cereals with fruit and/or yogurt dinner. But then I'm
an omnivore ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 1/25/2014 7:46 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>>
>> THIS dumb Amurikan wants to know how you 'tea at 4' cultures manage it.
> > First off, I can't see how anyone can hold a fulltime job and enjoy a

> tea.
> > Hell, many women here can't even put a dinner together after a hard day,
> > but rely on Hamb Helper.

> Or the husband can make dinner.

I don't even really know what it is. I've always cooked from scratch anyway
so I doubt it would be of any use to me. I was talking about when the
children were young. When they were old enough I worked part time and then
when the youngest was 11, I went back full time.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 1/25/2014 8:52 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> tea.
>>> day,
>>>
>>> Or the husband can make dinner.

>> I did it for years.

> I believe that. Truth is, people do have really busy days
> where it's hard to get dinner on the table with everything
> going on. My friends with children did a lot of weekend
> cooking, or maybe it was breakfast for dinner sometimes.

Oh yes I did a lot of that) The freezer is a real boon

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)

Cathy, farmers around here will have breakfast early, before heading to
the fields -- maybe 6:00 a.m. Coffee is at 10:00, lunch at noon,
afternoon coffee at 3:00, and dinner at 6:00 ‹ or whenever they're in
from the fields or the barn, after chores are done.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now! (or not)

> Cathy, farmers around here will have breakfast early, before heading to
> the fields -- maybe 6:00 a.m. Coffee is at 10:00, lunch at noon,
> afternoon coffee at 3:00, and dinner at 6:00 < or whenever they're in
> from the fields or the barn, after chores are done.

Everyone fits meal around their lives or should. Our meal times change with
whatever happens in our lives just as it should. I can't bear this fancy
talk about what should be when! PAH!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 21:31:42 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> Vote now! (or not)

>> Cathy, farmers around here will have breakfast early, before heading to
>> the fields -- maybe 6:00 a.m. Coffee is at 10:00, lunch at noon,
>> afternoon coffee at 3:00, and dinner at 6:00 < or whenever they're in
>> from the fields or the barn, after chores are done.

>Everyone fits meal around their lives or should. Our meal times change with
>whatever happens in our lives just as it should. I can't bear this fancy
>talk about what should be when! PAH!!!

True... I don't do breakfast and I don't do lunch, I do *Brunch*... I
have my two mugs of black coffee at 6-7 AM and then my first food is
about 10-11 AM, usually a coldcut sandwich and some fruit. At about
1-2 PM I'll have a snack of more fresh fruit and maybe some canned
veggies, I like canned beets or corn. Then later I'll have dinner...
tonight sauteed chicken cutlets and a mix of frozen veggies; broccoli,
cauliflower, and carrots, a Green Giant thingie. I never liked to eat
first thing in the AM.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 21:31:42 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>> Cathy, farmers around here will have breakfast early, before heading to
>>> the fields -- maybe 6:00 a.m. Coffee is at 10:00, lunch at noon,
>>> afternoon coffee at 3:00, and dinner at 6:00 < or whenever they're in
>>> from the fields or the barn, after chores are done.

>>Everyone fits meal around their lives or should. Our meal times change
>>with
>>whatever happens in our lives just as it should. I can't bear this fancy
>>talk about what should be when! PAH!!!

> True... I don't do breakfast and I don't do lunch, I do *Brunch*... I
> have my two mugs of black coffee at 6-7 AM and then my first food is
> about 10-11 AM, usually a coldcut sandwich and some fruit. At about
> 1-2 PM I'll have a snack of more fresh fruit and maybe some canned
> veggies, I like canned beets or corn. Then later I'll have dinner...
> tonight sauteed chicken cutlets and a mix of frozen veggies; broccoli,
> cauliflower, and carrots, a Green Giant thingie. I never liked to eat
> first thing in the AM.

Dare I ask ... what is a Green Giant thingie??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/26/2014 6:36 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 21:31:42 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> Everyone fits meal around their lives or should. Our meal times
>>> change with
>>> whatever happens in our lives just as it should. I can't bear this
>>> fancy
>>> talk about what should be when! PAH!!!

>> True... I don't do breakfast and I don't do lunch, I do *Brunch*... I
>> have my two mugs of black coffee at 6-7 AM and then my first food is
>> about 10-11 AM, usually a coldcut sandwich and some fruit. At about
>> 1-2 PM I'll have a snack of more fresh fruit and maybe some canned
>> veggies, I like canned beets or corn. Then later I'll have dinner...
>> tonight sauteed chicken cutlets and a mix of frozen veggies; broccoli,
>> cauliflower, and carrots, a Green Giant thingie. I never liked to eat
>> first thing in the AM.

> Dare I ask ... what is a Green Giant thingie??

LOLOL Green Giant is a brand of canned or frozen vegetables.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ilBsr9n3o

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/26/2014 6:36 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 21:31:42 -0000, "Ophelia"

>>> True... I don't do breakfast and I don't do lunch, I do *Brunch*... I
>>> have my two mugs of black coffee at 6-7 AM and then my first food is
>>> about 10-11 AM, usually a coldcut sandwich and some fruit. At about
>>> 1-2 PM I'll have a snack of more fresh fruit and maybe some canned
>>> veggies, I like canned beets or corn. Then later I'll have dinner...
>>> tonight sauteed chicken cutlets and a mix of frozen veggies; broccoli,
>>> cauliflower, and carrots, a Green Giant thingie. I never liked to eat
>>> first thing in the AM.

>> Dare I ask ... what is a Green Giant thingie??
>>

> LOLOL Green Giant is a brand of canned or frozen vegetables.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ilBsr9n3o

Hey, I remember that advert but only for sweet corn)

I know them <g> I've seen canned but not frozen. For some reason
I just didn't connect them <G>

Thanks)))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote:
>"Brooklyn1" wrote in message
>>"Ophelia" wrote:
>>>
>>>Everyone fits meal around their lives or should. Our meal times change
>>>with whatever happens in our lives just as it should. I can't bear this fancy
>>>talk about what should be when! PAH!!!

>> True... I don't do breakfast and I don't do lunch, I do *Brunch*... I
>> have my two mugs of black coffee at 6-7 AM and then my first food is
>> about 10-11 AM, usually a coldcut sandwich and some fruit. At about
>> 1-2 PM I'll have a snack of more fresh fruit and maybe some canned
>> veggies, I like canned beets or corn. Then later I'll have dinner...
>> tonight sauteed chicken cutlets and a mix of frozen veggies; broccoli,
>> cauliflower, and carrots, a Green Giant thingie. I never liked to eat
>> first thing in the AM.

>Dare I ask ... what is a Green Giant thingie??

"Green Giant" is a popular brand name here for canned and frozen
vegetables.
http://greengiant.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" wrote:

>>> True... I don't do breakfast and I don't do lunch, I do *Brunch*... I
>>> have my two mugs of black coffee at 6-7 AM and then my first food is
>>> about 10-11 AM, usually a coldcut sandwich and some fruit. At about
>>> 1-2 PM I'll have a snack of more fresh fruit and maybe some canned
>>> veggies, I like canned beets or corn. Then later I'll have dinner...
>>> tonight sauteed chicken cutlets and a mix of frozen veggies; broccoli,
>>> cauliflower, and carrots, a Green Giant thingie. I never liked to eat
>>> first thing in the AM.

>>Dare I ask ... what is a Green Giant thingie??

> "Green Giant" is a popular brand name here for canned and frozen
> vegetables.
> http://greengiant.com/

Yers thank you, I know now) We do have canned Green giant sweet corn))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/26/2014 6:59 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/26/2014 6:36 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 21:31:42 -0000, "Ophelia"

>>> True... I don't do breakfast and I don't do lunch, I do *Brunch*... I
>>> have my two mugs of black coffee at 6-7 AM and then my first food is
>>> about 10-11 AM, usually a coldcut sandwich and some fruit. At about
>>> 1-2 PM I'll have a snack of more fresh fruit and maybe some canned
>>> veggies, I like canned beets or corn. Then later I'll have dinner...
>>> tonight sauteed chicken cutlets and a mix of frozen veggies; broccoli,
>>> cauliflower, and carrots, a Green Giant thingie. I never liked to eat
>>> first thing in the AM.

>> Dare I ask ... what is a Green Giant thingie??
>>

> LOLOL Green Giant is a brand of canned or frozen vegetables.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ilBsr9n3o
>
> Jill

Forgot to add, at the end of that advertisement... the Jolly Green Giant
stuffed huggable toy. My mom got one for me when I was about seven
years old. She must have saved and sent in box tops from frozen Green
Giant veggies, or cut out proof-o-purchase labels from cans. I think I
still have it in a closet somewhere.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2014-01-25 20:46, Nancy Young wrote:
> > On 1/25/2014 7:46 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> > >
> > > THIS dumb Amurikan wants to know how you 'tea at 4' cultures
> > > manage it. First off, I can't see how anyone can hold a fulltime
> > > job and enjoy a

> > tea.
> > > Hell, many women here can't even put a dinner together after a
> > > hard day, but rely on Hamb Helper.

> > Or the husband can make dinner.
> >

> I did it for years.

Hi Dave, my husband is also an excellent cook. I made us a reduced
decent red sauce and he turned some of it into a pasta dish to go with
a very simple meal of home made rye bread, steamed green beans and a
bit of left over ham. Then he made a sort of dessert with a sticky
dough, chopped apples, brown sugar, and milk. It tasted of chinese 5
spice and was very good!

Don and I take turns and have been known to fight a little over who
gets to make a special dish if we both want to cook that night (grin).
I'm hiding a duck from him right now. Hey, it's MY TURN to get to cook
one!

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:26:04 PM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
>
> says...
>

> > THIS dumb Amurikan wants to know how you 'tea at 4' cultures manage it.

> First off, I can't see how anyone can hold a fulltime job and enjoy a
>
> tea.
>

> Many jobs here have an afternoon tea break.
>

> > Hell, many women here can't even put a dinner together after a hard >

> day, but rely on Hamb Helper.
>

> Never used it. I used to batch cook and freeze real food at weekends,
>
> get dinner out of the freezer before going to work, so that after work
>
> all I had to prepare was the fresh veg or salads.
>

> > If you are familiar with the tea at 4 cultures, when does the evening meal happen?

> When my kids were at school they had "tea" at 4 when they got home from
>
> school... bread, jam, cheese and milk. That would just about hold them
>
> until their cooked dinner.
>

> > Surely, there is paid help in the house too?

> My paid help's job was to clean the house before the children came
>
> home, look after them after school and give them tea. If I left out the
>
> veg we were having she would have them washed/peeled sliced etc ready;
>
> when one of us got home she left and we cooked dinner.

so---what time did you get home, and what time did you sit down for dinner?

When I was a kid, my father walked in the door at 10 past 6 and we ate shortly thereafter. There was no such thing as missing a meal. You had better be home or else. After school activities were not allowed to interfere with dinner, or supper as we called it then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
On Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:26:04 PM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
>
> says...
>

> > THIS dumb Amurikan wants to know how you 'tea at 4' cultures manage it.

> First off, I can't see how anyone can hold a fulltime job and enjoy a
>
> tea.
>

> Many jobs here have an afternoon tea break.
>

> > Hell, many women here can't even put a dinner together after a hard >

> day, but rely on Hamb Helper.
>

> Never used it. I used to batch cook and freeze real food at weekends,
>
> get dinner out of the freezer before going to work, so that after work
>
> all I had to prepare was the fresh veg or salads.
>

> > If you are familiar with the tea at 4 cultures, when does the evening
> > meal happen?

> When my kids were at school they had "tea" at 4 when they got home from
>
> school... bread, jam, cheese and milk. That would just about hold them
>
> until their cooked dinner.
>

> > Surely, there is paid help in the house too?

> My paid help's job was to clean the house before the children came
>
> home, look after them after school and give them tea. If I left out the
>
> veg we were having she would have them washed/peeled sliced etc ready;
>
> when one of us got home she left and we cooked dinner.

so---what time did you get home, and what time did you sit down for dinner?

When I was a kid, my father walked in the door at 10 past 6 and we ate
shortly thereafter. There was no such thing as missing a meal. You had
better be home or else. After school activities were not allowed to
interfere with dinner, or supper as we called it then.

---

Not in our house. I had tons of extra activities and so did my bro. When
we were very young, we all ate together. But once we were in school, all
bets were off.