Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2014-02-20) New survey on the RFC site: Pasta

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Vote now! (or not)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

MCINL - My Choice Is Not Listed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:30:21 AM UTC-6, Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>

> Vote now! (or not)

I counted egg noodles as pasta. I just made those yesterday. Made with
yolk only (and a little half&half) instead of whole eggs, they are easier
to roll out, but are better mixed with soup in the bowl, because they're
not very good left over. Very soggy the next day.

> Cheers
>
> Chatty Cathy

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 09:03:03 -0800, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> On Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:30:21 AM UTC-6, Chatty Cathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>

>> Vote now! (or not)
>>

> I counted egg noodles as pasta.

Close enough, IMO

> I just made those yesterday. Made with yolk only (and a little
> half&half) instead of whole eggs, they are easier to roll out, but are
> better mixed with soup in the bowl, because they're not very good left
> over. Very soggy the next day.

I've found that too - but if we have any soggy noodle/pasta leftovers, our
chickens are more than happy to eat them. <g>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 09:03:03 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:30:21 AM UTC-6, Chatty Cathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>

>> Vote now! (or not)
>>

>I counted egg noodles as pasta.

So what, I count ramen as pasta.
Most homemade pasta is made with eggs, only factory made dried
contains no egg except for those labeled egg noodles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-20 1:36 PM, ChattyCathy wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 09:03:03 -0800, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

>> I just made those yesterday. Made with yolk only (and a little
>> half&half) instead of whole eggs, they are easier to roll out, but are
>> better mixed with soup in the bowl, because they're not very good left
>> over. Very soggy the next day.

> I've found that too - but if we have any soggy noodle/pasta leftovers, our
> chickens are more than happy to eat them. <g>

Chickens will eat just about anything that is not faster than their
peckers.
I don't remember if it was in this group or some other place where
someone was complaining about chicks having their beaks nipped off
shortly after hatching. The reason is that they will peck and hurt or
kill each other.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:36:10 PM UTC-6, Chatty Cathy wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 09:03:03 -0800, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>

> > On Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:30:21 AM UTC-6, Chatty Cathy wrote:

> >> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> >> Vote now! (or not)

> > I counted egg noodles as pasta.

> Close enough, IMO
>

> > I just made those yesterday. Made with yolk only (and a little

> > half&half) instead of whole eggs, they are easier to roll out, but are

> > better mixed with soup in the bowl, because they're not very good left

> > over. Very soggy the next day.

> I've found that too - but if we have any soggy noodle/pasta leftovers, our
>
> chickens are more than happy to eat them. <g>

It's harder to pick them out of the soup if you've added them to the pot.

> Cheers
>
> Chatty Cathy

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chickens (was (2014-02-20) New survey on the RFC site: Pasta)

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:50:37 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> Chickens will eat just about anything that is not faster than their
> peckers.

Quite so; chickens are omnivores after all. However, our lot draw the line
at carrots....

> I don't remember if it was in this group or some other place where
> someone was complaining about chicks having their beaks nipped off
> shortly after hatching. The reason is that they will peck and hurt or
> kill each other.

All our chickens (both past and present) have their beaks intact - and
they seem perfectly content that way.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 09:03:03 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> > wrote:
>
>>On Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:30:21 AM UTC-6, Chatty Cathy wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>

>>> Vote now! (or not)
>>>

>>I counted egg noodles as pasta.

> So what, I count ramen as pasta.
> Most homemade pasta is made with eggs, only factory made dried
> contains no egg except for those labeled egg noodles.

True. I make my pasta with eggs.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:25:43 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:50:37 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> Chickens will eat just about anything that is not faster than their
>> peckers.

>Quite so; chickens are omnivores after all. However, our lot draw the line
>at carrots....

I've seen rooster die from a piece of carrot lodged in its throat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:02:39 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:25:43 +0200, ChattyCathy
>
> > wrote:
>

> >On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:50:37 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> Chickens will eat just about anything that is not faster than their

> >> peckers.

> >Quite so; chickens are omnivores after all. However, our lot draw the line

> >at carrots....

> I've seen rooster die from a piece of carrot lodged in its throat.

You watched it die? Why didn't you perform the Heimlich Maneuver? And
you're questioning *my* chicken ethics. Hmmmph.

--B

Posted to rec.food.cooking

May I add a sub-poll?

Those of you who answered that you make it from scratch often, do you have a pasta machine or it is a hand job?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:37:15 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>May I add a sub-poll?
>
>Those of you who answered that you make it from scratch often, do you have a pasta machine or it is a hand job?

Poor choce of words! "Hand job" has a rather salacious meaning! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:47:22 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:37:15 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
>
> > wrote:
>

> >May I add a sub-poll?

> >Those of you who answered that you make it from scratch often, do you have a pasta machine or it is a hand job?

I roll it out with a rolling pin and cut it with a pizza cutter.

> Poor choce of words! "Hand job" has a rather salacious meaning! ;-)

You might blow out your ass about a lot of things, but if there's one thing
you're an expert in it's hand jobs. You know, if you're looking for some
variety...
http://www.toydemon.com/

> John Kuthe...

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-20 2:25 PM, ChattyCathy wrote:

>> Chickens will eat just about anything that is not faster than their
>> peckers.

> Quite so; chickens are omnivores after all. However, our lot draw the line
> at carrots....
>
>> I don't remember if it was in this group or some other place where
>> someone was complaining about chicks having their beaks nipped off
>> shortly after hatching. The reason is that they will peck and hurt or
>> kill each other.

> All our chickens (both past and present) have their beaks intact - and
> they seem perfectly content that way.

Did you hatch them yourselves or did you get them from a hatchery? It is
almost standard operating procedure for hatcheries to debeak chicks for
shipping. When you get thousands of little chickens running around they
tend to get aggressive and cannibalistic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

\>You might blow out your ass about a lot of things, but if there's
one thing
>you're an expert in it's hand jobs. You know, if you're looking for some
>variety...
>http://www.toydemon.com/
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>--B

Abnd you make that sound like a bad thing? What a hypocrite! On TOP of
being an immature egocentric prick!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-20 4:37 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> May I add a sub-poll?
>
> Those of you who answered that you make it from scratch often, do you
> have a pasta machine or it is a hand job?

I'll take the hand job ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 12:18:08 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:02:39 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:25:43 +0200, ChattyCathy
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >Quite so; chickens are omnivores after all. However, our lot draw the line

>> >at carrots....

>> I've seen rooster die from a piece of carrot lodged in its throat.

>You watched it die? Why didn't you perform the Heimlich Maneuver? And
>you're questioning *my* chicken ethics. Hmmmph.

I never said I watched it die. I saw it after it died, the cause of
which was pretty obvious when you could see the carrot in it's throat

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan-TGWWW wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:30:21 AM UTC-6, Chatty Cathy wrote:
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >

> > Vote now! (or not)
> >

> I counted egg noodles as pasta. I just made those yesterday. Made
> with yolk only (and a little half&half) instead of whole eggs, they
> are easier to roll out, but are better mixed with soup in the bowl,
> because they're not very good left over. Very soggy the next day.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Chatty Cathy
> >

> --B

I counted Udon (grin).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-20 09:30, ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)

This may not sound like a pasta dish to some people but it is what I
whipped up for supper tonight and it was incredible

2 chicken breasts cut into thin slices
1/2 red bell pepper sliced
3 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 lb. asparagus.... chopped
1 cup chicken broth
about 2 tsp. corn starch
1/2 cup sliced onion
grated Parmesan
Sricachi cause
cooked spaghetti

Season the sliced chicken with salt and pepper. Sautee galric in oil.
Add the slice peppers, onion and chicken, stir, then add asparagus. Stir
the corn starch into the chicken broth and pour into the pan. Add a good
squirt or two of Sriachi sauce and stir until thick. Toss in the cooked
pasta and stir, top with Parmesan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 18:31:59 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2014-02-20 2:25 PM, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> All our chickens (both past and present) have their beaks intact - and
>> they seem perfectly content that way.

> Did you hatch them yourselves or did you get them from a hatchery? It is
> almost standard operating procedure for hatcheries to debeak chicks for
> shipping. When you get thousands of little chickens running around they
> tend to get aggressive and cannibalistic.

Bought the first lot directly from a poultry farm when they were 4 weeks
old (which we collected ourselves) - and their beaks were intact. Then we
bought some 6-8 months old chickens from a neighbour (who had bought them
from a different poultry farm) and their beaks were intact too.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 07:02:39 +1100, Jeßus wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:25:43 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:50:37 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Chickens will eat just about anything that is not faster than their
>>> peckers.

>>Quite so; chickens are omnivores after all. However, our lot draw the
>>line at carrots....

> I've seen rooster die from a piece of carrot lodged in its throat.

Ours just don't eat carrots - not even cooked.

FWIW, we've had exactly one rooster - but he eventually became so
aggressive towards us whenever we got close to his 'harem' (to the point
of drawing blood) that he ended up in the pot.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-20 22:07, ChattyCathy wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 18:31:59 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> On 2014-02-20 2:25 PM, ChattyCathy wrote:
>>
>>> All our chickens (both past and present) have their beaks intact - and
>>> they seem perfectly content that way.

>> Did you hatch them yourselves or did you get them from a hatchery? It is
>> almost standard operating procedure for hatcheries to debeak chicks for
>> shipping. When you get thousands of little chickens running around they
>> tend to get aggressive and cannibalistic.

> Bought the first lot directly from a poultry farm when they were 4 weeks
> old (which we collected ourselves) - and their beaks were intact. Then we
> bought some 6-8 months old chickens from a neighbour (who had bought them
> from a different poultry farm) and their beaks were intact too.

Order a couple hundred from a hatchery and they will likely
be debeaked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/20/2014 10:18 PM, ChattyCathy wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 07:02:39 +1100, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:25:43 +0200, ChattyCathy
>> > wrote:

>>> Quite so; chickens are omnivores after all. However, our lot draw the
>>> line at carrots....

>> I've seen rooster die from a piece of carrot lodged in its throat.

> Ours just don't eat carrots - not even cooked.
>
> FWIW, we've had exactly one rooster - but he eventually became so
> aggressive towards us whenever we got close to his 'harem' (to the point
> of drawing blood) that he ended up in the pot.

I'll bet the incessant crowing didn't help his case, either.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 22:18:53 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2014-02-20 22:07, ChattyCathy wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 18:31:59 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>>

>> Bought the first lot directly from a poultry farm when they were 4 weeks
>> old (which we collected ourselves) - and their beaks were intact. Then
>> we bought some 6-8 months old chickens from a neighbour (who had bought
>> them from a different poultry farm) and their beaks were intact too.
>>

> Order a couple hundred from a hatchery and they will likely be debeaked.

The ones we got from our neighbour came from a batch of 500 she ordered...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/20/2014 10:56 PM, ChattyCathy wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 22:18:53 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

>> On 2014-02-20 22:07, ChattyCathy wrote:
>>> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 18:31:59 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>

>>> Bought the first lot directly from a poultry farm when they were 4 weeks
>>> old (which we collected ourselves) - and their beaks were intact. Then
>>> we bought some 6-8 months old chickens from a neighbour (who had bought
>>> them from a different poultry farm) and their beaks were intact too.
>>>

>> Order a couple hundred from a hatchery and they will likely be debeaked.

> The ones we got from our neighbour came from a batch of 500 she ordered...

Different countries, Dave. And yes, I know you're not in the US...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 22:27:00 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/20/2014 10:18 PM, ChattyCathy wrote:

>> FWIW, we've had exactly one rooster - but he eventually became so
>> aggressive towards us whenever we got close to his 'harem' (to the
>> point of drawing blood) that he ended up in the pot.
>>

> I'll bet the incessant crowing didn't help his case, either.

The crowing didn't worry me that much (and yes they do crow at the oddest
times of day or night) - it was those talons of his that he put to good
use when taking flying leaps at me. Heh, he scratched my legs several
times which was actually quite painful (not to mention tearing holes in my
jeans). My daughter was only 5 or 6 y/o back then and one particular day,
when he leaped up at *her* and scratched her face (also drawing blood)
that was when his ticket was up - because she could have lost an eye or
been scarred for life. No more roosters here, thankyewverymuch.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-02-20 22:07, ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> Did you hatch them yourselves or did you get them from a hatchery? It is
>>> almost standard operating procedure for hatcheries to debeak chicks for
>>> shipping. When you get thousands of little chickens running around they
>>> tend to get aggressive and cannibalistic.

>> Bought the first lot directly from a poultry farm when they were 4 weeks
>> old (which we collected ourselves) - and their beaks were intact. Then we
>> bought some 6-8 months old chickens from a neighbour (who had bought them
>> from a different poultry farm) and their beaks were intact too.
>>

> Order a couple hundred from a hatchery and they will likely
> be debeaked.

Back in the old days of chicken/turkey ranching, we always debeaked the
chicks using a machine with a red hot top bar. I always hated the smell of
it. That was in CA in the 50's and early 60's. I don't even know if they
still do it, and I'm sure the machinery is much more modern now.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 22:27:00 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 2/20/2014 10:18 PM, ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> FWIW, we've had exactly one rooster - but he eventually became so
>>> aggressive towards us whenever we got close to his 'harem' (to the
>>> point of drawing blood) that he ended up in the pot.
>>>

>> I'll bet the incessant crowing didn't help his case, either.

> The crowing didn't worry me that much (and yes they do crow at the oddest
> times of day or night) - it was those talons of his that he put to good
> use when taking flying leaps at me. Heh, he scratched my legs several
> times which was actually quite painful (not to mention tearing holes in my
> jeans). My daughter was only 5 or 6 y/o back then and one particular day,
> when he leaped up at *her* and scratched her face (also drawing blood)
> that was when his ticket was up - because she could have lost an eye or
> been scarred for life. No more roosters here, thankyewverymuch.

That rooster definitely outstayed its welcome

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 10:26:56 +0000, Ophelia wrote:

> That rooster definitely outstayed its welcome

He sure did. Our hens actually seemed quite relieved after he
'disappeared' because they had 'peace and quiet' after that ;-)

We've only got 9 of the old biddies left now as the rest have just died of
old age - but they still lay a couple of eggs a day between them... and
they've been almost like pets - and good layers to boot, so they are
welcome to stay and enjoy their retirement - until they too go off to that
'Big Hen House in the Sky' <g>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 10:26:56 +0000, Ophelia wrote:
>

>> That rooster definitely outstayed its welcome

> He sure did. Our hens actually seemed quite relieved after he
> 'disappeared' because they had 'peace and quiet' after that ;-)
>
> We've only got 9 of the old biddies left now as the rest have just died of
> old age - but they still lay a couple of eggs a day between them... and
> they've been almost like pets - and good layers to boot, so they are
> welcome to stay and enjoy their retirement - until they too go off to that
> 'Big Hen House in the Sky' <g>

Wonderful! Bless you

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 05:18:24 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 07:02:39 +1100, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:25:43 +0200, ChattyCathy
>> > wrote:

>>>Quite so; chickens are omnivores after all. However, our lot draw the
>>>line at carrots....

>> I've seen rooster die from a piece of carrot lodged in its throat.

>Ours just don't eat carrots - not even cooked.
>
>FWIW, we've had exactly one rooster - but he eventually became so
>aggressive towards us whenever we got close to his 'harem' (to the point
>of drawing blood) that he ended up in the pot.

I had one rooster like that. Every few weeks he would fly at me, the
last time he caught me by surprise and got me twice with his spurs in
my ankle... his new career as chicken stock was much more pleasant
(and tastier).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 05:18:24 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 07:02:39 +1100, Jeßus wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:25:43 +0200, ChattyCathy

>>> I've seen rooster die from a piece of carrot lodged in its throat.

>>Ours just don't eat carrots - not even cooked.
>>
>>FWIW, we've had exactly one rooster - but he eventually became so
>>aggressive towards us whenever we got close to his 'harem' (to the point
>>of drawing blood) that he ended up in the pot.

> I had one rooster like that. Every few weeks he would fly at me, the
> last time he caught me by surprise and got me twice with his spurs in
> my ankle... his new career as chicken stock was much more pleasant
> (and tastier).

Heh, that put his gas at a peep ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 21, 2014 7:57:45 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 05:18:24 +0200, ChattyCathy
>
> > wrote:
>

> >On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 07:02:39 +1100, Jeßus wrote:

> >> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:25:43 +0200, ChattyCathy

> >> I've seen rooster die from a piece of carrot lodged in its throat.

> >Ours just don't eat carrots - not even cooked.

> >FWIW, we've had exactly one rooster - but he eventually became so

> >aggressive towards us whenever we got close to his 'harem' (to the point

> >of drawing blood) that he ended up in the pot.

> I had one rooster like that. Every few weeks he would fly at me, the
>
> last time he caught me by surprise and got me twice with his spurs in
>
> my ankle... his new career as chicken stock was much more pleasant
>
> (and tastier).

Males have their usefulness, but it's a shame that in most animal species,
they are 50% of births. Mother Nature is obviously a heterosexual female.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:03:03 AM UTC-6, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:30:21 AM UTC-6, Chatty Cathy wrote:
>
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> > Vote now! (or not)

> I counted egg noodles as pasta. I just made those yesterday. Made with
>
> yolk only (and a little half&half) instead of whole eggs, they are easier
>
> to roll out, but are better mixed with soup in the bowl, because they're
>
> not very good left over. Very soggy the next day.

Wow, for such a health advocate, why do you make yolk only noodles? And we all know about your half-staff sogg problem. Say no more! Putz....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 13:56:08 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 21, 2014 7:57:45 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 05:18:24 +0200, ChattyCathy
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >Ours just don't eat carrots - not even cooked.

>> >FWIW, we've had exactly one rooster - but he eventually became so

>> >aggressive towards us whenever we got close to his 'harem' (to the point

>> >of drawing blood) that he ended up in the pot.

>> I had one rooster like that. Every few weeks he would fly at me, the
>>
>> last time he caught me by surprise and got me twice with his spurs in
>>
>> my ankle... his new career as chicken stock was much more pleasant
>>
>> (and tastier).

>Males have their usefulness, but it's a shame that in most animal species,
>they are 50% of births. Mother Nature is obviously a heterosexual female.

Well, indeed.