Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vegetable Washer

I was watching one of those home shows. You know... The kind where the
couple or family wants to buy or rent a home. They are offered three
choices but there is rarely one that meets their needs. It either has one
less bedroom or bathroom, is in another part of the city than they want to
live or is above their budget. Not always but this is the typical scenario.
Then they have to make a choice.

Well... This couple moved to Korea. As you can imagine, some things were
different than in houses here in the US including the remote control
toilet/bidet with heated seat.

But in the kitchen? There was a small, stainless steel looking, sink
looking thing. The woman asked what it was and the real estate agent told
her it was a vegetable washer. Alas they didn't show it on the screen for
long. So I didn't get a good look at it but it appeared not to have a
faucet.

The couple wound up picking that home. And when they go back a few weeks
later to see how they liked it... The woman said that she loved it,
particularly the vegetable washer. She said she no longer had to do it
because the vegetable washer did it for her.

Ever heard of such a thing? I did do a search and did come up with items in
other countries but they were huge and looked to be for commercial purposes.

I am just curious how this thing would work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" wrote in message
t...

In article >, says...

> Ever heard of such a thing? I did do a search and did come up with items
> in
> other countries but they were huge and looked to be for commercial
> purposes.
>
> I am just curious how this thing would work.

Vegetable/prep sinks are pretty standard in modern kithens here. I
have one. Mine is adjacent to the larger sink used for emptying slops
washing dishes and shares the same tap/faucet which swings over to wash
vegetables in their designated sink. Some people have the sinks apart
with an extendable spray tap for washing veg

http://www.grohe.com/ie/4924/kitchen...-designs/taps-
with-pull-out-spray/

Janet UK

~~~~~~~~
We have some pull-out sprays like that, but I have never heard them called
"vegetable washers." I notice that the link you provided also refers to
them as pull-out or pull-down taps. I can see some logic in calling it a
vegetable washer.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 03:49:53 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> But in the kitchen? There was a small, stainless steel looking, sink
> looking thing. The woman asked what it was and the real estate agent told
> her it was a vegetable washer. Alas they didn't show it on the screen for
> long. So I didn't get a good look at it but it appeared not to have a
> faucet.
>
> The couple wound up picking that home. And when they go back a few weeks
> later to see how they liked it... The woman said that she loved it,
> particularly the vegetable washer. She said she no longer had to do it
> because the vegetable washer did it for her.
>
> Ever heard of such a thing? I did do a search and did come up with items in
> other countries but they were huge and looked to be for commercial purposes.
>
> I am just curious how this thing would work.

Never heard of it either, but found this - looks interesting
http://b2b.koreaportal.com/bbs/board..._id=25&page=26

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/9/2013 1:33 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 03:49:53 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> But in the kitchen? There was a small, stainless steel looking, sink
>> looking thing. The woman asked what it was and the real estate agent told
>> her it was a vegetable washer. Alas they didn't show it on the screen for
>> long. So I didn't get a good look at it but it appeared not to have a
>> faucet.
>>
>> The couple wound up picking that home. And when they go back a few weeks
>> later to see how they liked it... The woman said that she loved it,
>> particularly the vegetable washer. She said she no longer had to do it
>> because the vegetable washer did it for her.
>>
>> Ever heard of such a thing? I did do a search and did come up with items in
>> other countries but they were huge and looked to be for commercial purposes.
>>
>> I am just curious how this thing would work.

> Never heard of it either, but found this - looks interesting
> http://b2b.koreaportal.com/bbs/board..._id=25&page=26

Oh gawd, no! Really?! How difficult is it to wash vegetables?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 15:07:53 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 11/9/2013 1:33 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 03:49:53 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> But in the kitchen? There was a small, stainless steel looking, sink
> >> looking thing. The woman asked what it was and the real estate agent told
> >> her it was a vegetable washer. Alas they didn't show it on the screen for
> >> long. So I didn't get a good look at it but it appeared not to have a
> >> faucet.
> >>
> >> The couple wound up picking that home. And when they go back a few weeks
> >> later to see how they liked it... The woman said that she loved it,
> >> particularly the vegetable washer. She said she no longer had to do it
> >> because the vegetable washer did it for her.
> >>
> >> Ever heard of such a thing? I did do a search and did come up with items in
> >> other countries but they were huge and looked to be for commercial purposes.
> >>
> >> I am just curious how this thing would work.

> > Never heard of it either, but found this - looks interesting
> > http://b2b.koreaportal.com/bbs/board..._id=25&page=26
> >

> Oh gawd, no! Really?! How difficult is it to wash vegetables?

If you don't buy organic vegetables, it cleans and removes chemicals.
Sounds useful to me! It sterilizes too. So, you can use it for
dishes and baby bottles.... kind of a cool technology IMO.

Google: Home Ultrasonic Dish/Vegetable/Fruit Washer

I bet dsi1 will love the one I posted!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" > wrote in message

> "Janet" wrote in message
> t...
>
> In article >, says...
>>

>> Ever heard of such a thing? I did do a search and did come up with items
>> in
>> other countries but they were huge and looked to be for commercial
>> purposes.
>>
>> I am just curious how this thing would work.

> Vegetable/prep sinks are pretty standard in modern kithens here. I
> have one. Mine is adjacent to the larger sink used for emptying slops
> washing dishes and shares the same tap/faucet which swings over to wash
> vegetables in their designated sink. Some people have the sinks apart
> with an extendable spray tap for washing veg

http://www.grohe.com/ie/4924/kitchen...-designs/taps-
> with-pull-out-spray/
>
> Janet UK
>
> ~~~~~~~~
> We have some pull-out sprays like that, but I have never heard them called
> "vegetable washers." I notice that the link you provided also refers to
> them as pull-out or pull-down taps. I can see some logic in calling it a
> vegetable washer.

That is not at all what they showed on the show. I have something similar.
There was no sprayer to this thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/9/2013 10:13 AM, Janet wrote:
>> In article >, says...
>>>

>>> Ever heard of such a thing? I did do a search and did come up with
>>> items in
>>> other countries but they were huge and looked to be for commercial
>>> purposes.
>>>
>>> I am just curious how this thing would work.

>> Vegetable/prep sinks are pretty standard in modern kithens here.

> Most of us know about things like that. Julie is talking about an
> ultrasonic countertop appliance that cleans vegetables. I have no idea
> why one would need an electric device to wash vegetables. Is it so
> difficult?
>
>> have one. Mine is adjacent to the larger sink used for emptying slops
>> washing dishes and shares the same tap/faucet which swings over to wash
>> vegetables in their designated sink. Some people have the sinks apart
>> with an extendable spray tap for washing veg

http://www.grohe.com/ie/4924/kitchen...-designs/taps-
>> with-pull-out-spray/
>>

>> Janet UK
>>

> My neigbor has a kitchen tap with the built in retractable sprayer. It's
> nice.
>
> I still wouldn't pay for an electric vegetable washer. It sounds like
> another excuse for Julie to buy something.

No. I don't want one. I am not a device type person. I got rid of my food
processor and if I'm going to make bread, I do it by hand. Yes, I bought a
bread machine because it was recommended for gluten free baking. I didn't
like it. And most of the time I don't even get my mixer out. I would
rather do stuff by hand. I was just curious about it and couldn't se why
the woman was so excited about it! Perhaps if you were a raw vegan or
something. Those folks eat a lot of produce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 03:49:53 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> But in the kitchen? There was a small, stainless steel looking, sink
>> looking thing. The woman asked what it was and the real estate agent
>> told
>> her it was a vegetable washer. Alas they didn't show it on the screen
>> for
>> long. So I didn't get a good look at it but it appeared not to have a
>> faucet.
>>
>> The couple wound up picking that home. And when they go back a few weeks
>> later to see how they liked it... The woman said that she loved it,
>> particularly the vegetable washer. She said she no longer had to do it
>> because the vegetable washer did it for her.
>>
>> Ever heard of such a thing? I did do a search and did come up with items
>> in
>> other countries but they were huge and looked to be for commercial
>> purposes.
>>
>> I am just curious how this thing would work.

> Never heard of it either, but found this - looks interesting
> http://b2b.koreaportal.com/bbs/board..._id=25&page=26

Aha! I think that is it! I found some links but not quite the same thing.
Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/9/2013 1:33 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 03:49:53 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> But in the kitchen? There was a small, stainless steel looking, sink
>>> looking thing. The woman asked what it was and the real estate agent
>>> told
>>> her it was a vegetable washer. Alas they didn't show it on the screen
>>> for
>>> long. So I didn't get a good look at it but it appeared not to have a
>>> faucet.
>>>
>>> The couple wound up picking that home. And when they go back a few
>>> weeks
>>> later to see how they liked it... The woman said that she loved it,
>>> particularly the vegetable washer. She said she no longer had to do it
>>> because the vegetable washer did it for her.
>>>
>>> Ever heard of such a thing? I did do a search and did come up with
>>> items in
>>> other countries but they were huge and looked to be for commercial
>>> purposes.
>>>
>>> I am just curious how this thing would work.

>> Never heard of it either, but found this - looks interesting
>> http://b2b.koreaportal.com/bbs/board..._id=25&page=26
>>

> Oh gawd, no! Really?! How difficult is it to wash vegetables?

Says it removes pesticides and such. Do you think Korean vegetables are
worse or dirtier than ours are here?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 03:49:53 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> But in the kitchen? There was a small, stainless steel looking, sink
>> looking thing. The woman asked what it was and the real estate agent
>> told
>> her it was a vegetable washer. Alas they didn't show it on the screen
>> for
>> long. So I didn't get a good look at it but it appeared not to have a
>> faucet.
>>
>> The couple wound up picking that home. And when they go back a few weeks
>> later to see how they liked it... The woman said that she loved it,
>> particularly the vegetable washer. She said she no longer had to do it
>> because the vegetable washer did it for her.
>>
>> Ever heard of such a thing? I did do a search and did come up with items
>> in
>> other countries but they were huge and looked to be for commercial
>> purposes.
>>
>> I am just curious how this thing would work.

> Never heard of it either, but found this - looks interesting
> http://b2b.koreaportal.com/bbs/board..._id=25&page=26

Aha! I think that is it! I found some links but not quite the same thing.
Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~
That's an interesting product, but I think I would rather wash my veggies by
hand instead of cleaning the "vegetable washer" to keep *it* clean. It also
looks costly to buy and to pay for all the "sterilized" uses.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" > wrote in message

>> Never heard of it either, but found this - looks interesting
>> http://b2b.koreaportal.com/bbs/board..._id=25&page=26

> Aha! I think that is it! I found some links but not quite the same
> thing.
> Thanks!
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> That's an interesting product, but I think I would rather wash my veggies
> by hand instead of cleaning the "vegetable washer" to keep *it* clean. It
> also looks costly to buy and to pay for all the "sterilized" uses.

My tap and scrubbing brush do a good enough job for me

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "MaryL" > wrote in message

> >> Never heard of it either, but found this - looks interesting

> >> http://b2b.koreaportal.com/bbs/board..._id=25&page=26

> > Aha! I think that is it! I found some links but not quite the same

> > thing.

> > Thanks!

> > ~~~~~~~~~~

> > That's an interesting product, but I think I would rather wash my veggies

> > by hand instead of cleaning the "vegetable washer" to keep *it* clean. It

> > also looks costly to buy and to pay for all the "sterilized" uses.

> My tap and scrubbing brush do a good enough job for me

"Ah, Mistress Ophelia...!!!"

;-D

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/13 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>> Oh gawd, no! Really?! How difficult is it to wash vegetables?

> Says it removes pesticides and such. Do you think Korean vegetables are
> worse or dirtier than ours are here?

Sure they can be... communal toilets in the country side often are
serviced by the "honey pot" trucks which I believe may get recycled into
fertilizer. I may be out of date on this information since my husband
was stationed there eons ago....?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> On 11/10/13 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Oh gawd, no! Really?! How difficult is it to wash vegetables?

>> Says it removes pesticides and such. Do you think Korean vegetables are
>> worse or dirtier than ours are here?

> Sure they can be... communal toilets in the country side often are
> serviced by the "honey pot" trucks which I believe may get recycled into
> fertilizer. I may be out of date on this information since my husband was
> stationed there eons ago....?

Ahhhh... We had neighbors who had a backed up septic system. Went all over
their vegetable garden. They had a bumper crop that year! My dad forbade
us to eat any of their crop just as he forbade us to eat dandelions. And
what do you think we did? We did wash everything well and we didn't
die.

I also picked cucumbers for pay. Once and only once. No toilets out in
those fields. Just the outhouse and not even a place to wash your hands.
We had to bring our own lunches. Had I know of the lack of water there I
would have brought some hand wipes or something. They did have a jug of
water for drinking but we were forbidden to waste it. That's another reason
to wash your produce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 00:40:01 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I don't see much need for it in the U.S. Then again, I'm not
> a gotta have that gizmo! kind of gal.

You don't see a difference between organic produce and pesticide laden
produce? I hate to pay $3.50 for a tiny head of cauliflower that's
less than a pound just because it's organic (ok, it's picture perfect
- but still). If I could believe (and I don't) that one of those
things would remove the pesticides and other creepiness associated
with fresh produce - I'd buy one. To date: I still need to be
convinced about their effectiveness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 00:47:19 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 00:40:01 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>> I don't see much need for it in the U.S. Then again, I'm not
>> a gotta have that gizmo! kind of gal.

>You don't see a difference between organic produce and pesticide laden
>produce? I hate to pay $3.50 for a tiny head of cauliflower that's
>less than a pound just because it's organic (ok, it's picture perfect
>- but still).

If it's "picture perfect" it's NOT organic... you can bet your bippee
it received bookoo pesticides.... anyone who grows their own veggies
knows this. I use no pesticides so my crops typically contain worm
holes, larvae, and much critter nibbles.... and still it's not
organic, the entire planet is polluted. So long as there is gravity
and precipitation there is no such thing as organic gardening unless
grown hydroponically, and even that is suspect as chemferts are used
abundantly with abandon. I use no fertilizer other than compost I
make myself, but who knows what's in those parings and coffee grounds.
Organic gardening is an oxymoron of the dumbest caliber... there is no
organic gardening on planet Earth, can't happen. Labeling foods
"organic" is just a scheme to separate the pinheads from their
dollars.