Denis Marier

Default Bottle Washer Plastic or Brass

I would like to conclude this thread by saying:
1) The brass bottle washer works well and will last much longer. But it
produces water hammering which can damage your copper plumbing system. This
could be even worst if you have plastic piping.
2) The plastic made washer works fine. It still produces water hammering
but to a tolerable degree. The draw back is the plastic construction. The
nozzle housing where the acting ball valve is located enlarges, the ball
shrinks and escapes. At first, the manufacturer said that a steel ball was
originally used. The newer production uses a rubber ball.
3) The answers I received from the producer of the plastic washer was that
after twelve months the warranty was over!
4) What I did was to try to fix it by inserting a brass ball using a heat
gun and shrink the nozzle opening.
This may not be the final solution. Time will tell if it works and last.
5) May be its time to upgrade the design.
6) The two bottles Plastic Blast washer appears to be ideal. If some goes
bad after twelve months or ownership the warranty is expired.
7) Most of the home brewers do not use their equipment on a continuous
basis. Twelve months warranty is not a good deal when the equipment is left
on a shelf most of the time

"Negodki" > wrote in message
> "Denis Marier" > wrote in message
> > That is a good way of doing it. I do not know where you live. Here on

the
> Canadian East coast the weather
> > pattern may be different. Years ago, I use to do the same thing. Until

> one day the sun was shining but it was
> > below 32 degree F. I never though about the freezing point and the

> 6-gallon carboy cracked. Since then, I make
> > it a point to wash and rinse all carboy indoor. In the winter the

> temperature goes to minus 32F.
>
> I understand. I wouldn't wash them outside in cold, much less freezing,
> weather. But, it seems to me that a hose with a nozzle attached to the tub
> faucet (or shower fixture) would be easier than trying to balance anything
> larger than a 1-gallon jug atop a faucet-mounted bottle washer. Also, the
> downward pressure on the faucet might break the spout. I've had that

happen
> for other reasons.
>
> I can see the advantage to what you are describing for washing bottles,

but