Denis Marier

Default What's the best bottle washer?

Months ago we have discussed this and we end up with two schools of though.
Since then, I have seen the two bottles plastic blaster. Some are saying
that it is better. The brass made Jet washer appears more robust but water
hammering still worries me? When it shuts off I can feel the copper pipe
expanding. Maybe someone has found a solution.

--
Denis
Sprucewood, Rothesay, N.B

Brian Lundeen

Here's the best bottle washer I've seen.

http://www.cask.com/Brew_on_Premises...s/washers.html

The bad news? $8500 CDN, plus taxes and shipping. However, it has inspired
my buddy and I to try and create a simplified version based on a portable
dishwasher I got my hands on. Construction of the bottle washing manifold is
under way, I will post details on a web site when things are done (one way
or another).

As for those other things, I don't consider them bottle washers. Washing IMO
involves the application of a cleaning solution. Those little blasters are
just rinsers.

Brian

Denis Marier

Thanks let me know when you have finished your product design

"Brian Lundeen" > wrote in message
> Here's the best bottle washer I've seen.
>
> http://www.cask.com/Brew_on_Premises...s/washers.html
>
> The bad news? $8500 CDN, plus taxes and shipping. However, it has inspired
> my buddy and I to try and create a simplified version based on a portable
> dishwasher I got my hands on. Construction of the bottle washing manifold

is
> under way, I will post details on a web site when things are done (one way
> or another).
>
> As for those other things, I don't consider them bottle washers. Washing

IMO
> involves the application of a cleaning solution. Those little blasters are
> just rinsers.
>
> Brian

Darwin Vander Stelt

I built a device I use to clean plastic or stainless barrels, carboys, and
also bottles. It consists of a flat tray 3' x 3' with 6" sides, built from
plywood and fibergalssed. There is a drain attched to the suction side of a
1 hp pump, and a 3/4" female fitting in the center attached to the pressure
side of the pump. There are 2 attachments to screw into the female fitting.
One is a short piece of pipe with a spray ball on top. Its the only thing i
have been able to get 11 gal plastic carboys clean with, and works well
with a 50 gal stainless barrel too, but you need help setting it on. The
other attachment is a tree like affair with 12 1/4 x 3 inch nipples with a
brass cap with 1- 1/8 hole drilled in it. The thing sets in a flower box i
never liked anyway next to the house , and i put a hose through the kitchen
window to fill it with hot water. There is enough pressure to blast the
insides with hot soapy water and i let it run 10 minutes or so/case, then
rinse them with a water blaster device. Not sure its a time saver but it
does do a good job of washing the insides of the bottles with hot soapy
water, and it really works good on large plastic carboys which can get
nasties growing in them.

"Denis Marier" > wrote in message
> Thanks let me know when you have finished your product design
>

> "Brian Lundeen" > wrote in message
> > Here's the best bottle washer I've seen.
> >
> > http://www.cask.com/Brew_on_Premises...s/washers.html
> >
> > The bad news? $8500 CDN, plus taxes and shipping. However, it has

inspired
> > my buddy and I to try and create a simplified version based on a

portable
> > dishwasher I got my hands on. Construction of the bottle washing

manifold
> is
> > under way, I will post details on a web site when things are done (one

way
> > or another).
> >
> > As for those other things, I don't consider them bottle washers. Washing

> IMO
> > involves the application of a cleaning solution. Those little blasters

are
> > just rinsers.
> >
> > Brian

Brian Lundeen

"Darwin Vander Stelt" > wrote in message
There is enough pressure to blast the
> insides with hot soapy water and i let it run 10 minutes or so/case, then
> rinse them with a water blaster device.

What are you using for a cleaning solution? Does it handle nasty, crusted on
stuff, or do you have to pre-clean those?

Brian

Darwin Vander Stelt

I just use dishwasher detergent, and if the bottles arent rinsed, (as in
contributed by a friend etc), I let em run longer. Even then, you have to
inspect in good light and occasionally brush one. I am thinking of adding
one of those heating elements they drop in a bucket to keep the water hot
for longer periods. You can do 8 or 10 cases with maybe 15 gals of water and
2 cups of detergent, but it won't stay hot. Right now I just open a valve
and let some of the stuff run out on the lawn and add hot water and
detergent every few cases.
"Brian Lundeen" > wrote in message

> "Darwin Vander Stelt" > wrote in message
> There is enough pressure to blast the
> > insides with hot soapy water and i let it run 10 minutes or so/case,

then
> > rinse them with a water blaster device.

> What are you using for a cleaning solution? Does it handle nasty, crusted

on
> stuff, or do you have to pre-clean those?
>
> Brian

Denis Marier

Thanks for the information.
I will try it for sure.