Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default substitution question

I'm planning to make this recipe pretty much as written later this
week. I may change the cream from heavy to half & half, but maybe
not. What I'm going to change is the chili. I've never tasted chile
de arbol, don't have much interest in seeking it out just to make this
recipe and think crushed red chili peppers (the kind you put on pizza)
are useless for anything but heat - so I'm thinking I'll substitute
Aleppo pepper. Is there any reason to assume it would be a mistake?

Rigatoni and Roasted Delicata Squash

1 delicata squash (about 1 pound)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 shallots, peeled, halved and sliced lengthwise
1 garlic clove crushed
1 dried chile de arbol, crumbled, or 1 teaspoon crushed red chili
flakes (Aleppo?)
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
½ pound mezzi rigatoni or rigatoni
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Fresh washed baby greens, such as spinach, kale or arugula

http://familystylefood.com/2013/11/r...licata-squash/

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> I'm planning to make this recipe pretty much as written later this
> week. I may change the cream from heavy to half & half, but maybe
> not. What I'm going to change is the chili. I've never tasted chile
> de arbol, don't have much interest in seeking it out just to make this
> recipe and think crushed red chili peppers (the kind you put on pizza)
> are useless for anything but heat - so I'm thinking I'll substitute
> Aleppo pepper. Is there any reason to assume it would be a mistake?
>

> Rigatoni and Roasted Delicata Squash
>
> 1 delicata squash (about 1 pound)
> 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
> ½ teaspoon kosher salt
> 2 shallots, peeled, halved and sliced lengthwise
> 1 garlic clove crushed
> 1 dried chile de arbol, crumbled, or 1 teaspoon crushed red chili
> flakes (Aleppo?)
> 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
> ½ pound mezzi rigatoni or rigatoni
> ¼ cup heavy cream
> ¼ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
> Fresh washed baby greens, such as spinach, kale or arugula
>
> http://familystylefood.com/2013/11/r...licata-squash/
>
> TIA

Chile de arbol is pretty hot stuff. The Aleppo pepper is worth a shot if
you just want a little warmth rather than mouth-burning heat. Start out
with the 1 teaspoon and add more to taste.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 11:07:10 -0800, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

> Chile de arbol is pretty hot stuff. The Aleppo pepper is worth a shot if
> you just want a little warmth rather than mouth-burning heat. Start out
> with the 1 teaspoon and add more to taste.

I used the Aleppo and it was perfect, thanks. What little flavor it
had went well with the dish. I used less cream than the recipe called
for, but it was still too rich for me. Not sure if it's because my
cold was at its worst then or if I just plain didn't like cream with
squash, but I will substitute broth for all of it next time and see
how that goes.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf[_9_] View Post
[...]

rigatoni and roasted delicata squash |familystylefood|recipe

TIA

Never bumped into an Allepo pepper but as the other person said de arbols tend to be fairy hottish. Sure you could sub anything similar including a little crushed red pepper flakes.