Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substitution for pancake ring

I'd like to make Japanese pancake sandwiches with red bean filling (aka
dorayaki), one of my most favorite snacks ever! I've got the pancake
precursor, I've got the filling... How do I make perfectly uniform
pancake circles?

I saw ring-shaped egg-poaching/pancake-shaping templates that you put
in the frying pan, but I wonder if there isn't some other (cheaper)
alternative to making consistent size circles (and doesn't require me
to eat 8 cans of tuna fish). How can I masterfully freehand pour the
exact volume of batter again and again and not buy a needles piece of
kitchen equipment?

TIA for your thoughts,

June

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm a canner, so I use the wide mouth lid rings sprayed with Pam for round
eggs for Egg McMuffins.

Lynne

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'd like to make Japanese pancake sandwiches with red bean filling (aka
> dorayaki), one of my most favorite snacks ever! I've got the pancake
> precursor, I've got the filling... How do I make perfectly uniform
> pancake circles?
>
> I saw ring-shaped egg-poaching/pancake-shaping templates that you put
> in the frying pan, but I wonder if there isn't some other (cheaper)
> alternative to making consistent size circles (and doesn't require me
> to eat 8 cans of tuna fish). How can I masterfully freehand pour the
> exact volume of batter again and again and not buy a needles piece of
> kitchen equipment?
>
> TIA for your thoughts,
>
> June

Posted to rec.food.cooking

King's Crown wrote:
> I'm a canner, so I use the wide mouth lid rings sprayed with Pam for round
> eggs for Egg McMuffins.

LID RINGS!!! Fantastic - I actually already own these and never
considered them. Ha!

I think by using lid rings and a tiny measure (shot glass?) full to the
brim, I will be all set.

Thanks to all for their ideas!

June

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> I'd like to make Japanese pancake sandwiches with red bean filling (aka
> dorayaki), one of my most favorite snacks ever! I've got the pancake
> precursor, I've got the filling... How do I make perfectly uniform
> pancake circles?
>
> I saw ring-shaped egg-poaching/pancake-shaping templates that you put
> in the frying pan, but I wonder if there isn't some other (cheaper)
> alternative to making consistent size circles (and doesn't require me
> to eat 8 cans of tuna fish). How can I masterfully freehand pour the
> exact volume of batter again and again and not buy a needles piece of
> kitchen equipment?
>
> TIA for your thoughts,
>
> June

Ask your friends to save their cat food cans. Or their tuna cans. :-)
HTH. Or see if someone at Home Depot will cut a piece sheet metal vent
pipe into slices.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article . com>,
> " > wrote:
>

>>I'd like to make Japanese pancake sandwiches with red bean filling (aka
>>dorayaki), one of my most favorite snacks ever! I've got the pancake
>>precursor, I've got the filling... How do I make perfectly uniform
>>pancake circles?
>>
>>I saw ring-shaped egg-poaching/pancake-shaping templates that you put
>>in the frying pan, but I wonder if there isn't some other (cheaper)
>>alternative to making consistent size circles (and doesn't require me
>>to eat 8 cans of tuna fish). How can I masterfully freehand pour the
>>exact volume of batter again and again and not buy a needles piece of
>>kitchen equipment?
>>
>>TIA for your thoughts,
>>
>>June

> Ask your friends to save their cat food cans. Or their tuna cans. :-)
> HTH. Or see if someone at Home Depot will cut a piece sheet metal vent
> pipe into slices.

What if you made the pancakes first and then cut out perfect circles
with a cookie cutter? The scraps you will cut off can be frozen and
saved and make a delicious addition to plain consommé.

If you want to try it, I have one three inch and one two inch cutter
and would be only too happy to send them to you. We last used them
when my daughter was a Brownie and she is fifty one years old now. If
they work for you, you can always get newer and better ones. )
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 07:49:35 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>HTH. Or see if someone at Home Depot will cut a piece sheet metal vent
>pipe into slices.

That sheet metal is galvanized. Zinc is not a good thing;

http://missourifamilies.org/quick/fo...qa/qafs551.htm

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote on 09 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 07:49:35 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>

> >HTH. Or see if someone at Home Depot will cut a piece sheet metal

vent
> >pipe into slices.

> That sheet metal is galvanized. Zinc is not a good thing;
>
> http://missourifamilies.org/quick/fo...qa/qafs551.htm
>
> Lou

ok then dryer vent...that's aluminum.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 09 Sep 2006 01:40:54p, Lou Decruss meant to say...

> On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 07:49:35 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>

>>HTH. Or see if someone at Home Depot will cut a piece sheet metal vent
>>pipe into slices.

> That sheet metal is galvanized. Zinc is not a good thing;
>
> http://missourifamilies.org/quick/fo...qa/qafs551.htm
>
> Lou

Some vent pipe is stainless steel and not galvanized.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Oxymoron: Sharp Cookie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote:
> If you want to try it, I have one three inch and one two inch cutter
> and would be only too happy to send them to you. We last used them
> when my daughter was a Brownie and she is fifty one years old now. If
> they work for you, you can always get newer and better ones. )

Margaret, you are super sweet to offer!

However, since I already have a dozen of the lid rings, I am going to
try that and see if it does the trick.

Thanks again,

June

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Sep 2006 00:54:15 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Sat 09 Sep 2006 01:40:54p, Lou Decruss meant to say...
>
>> On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 07:49:35 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>HTH. Or see if someone at Home Depot will cut a piece sheet metal vent
>>>pipe into slices.

>> That sheet metal is galvanized. Zinc is not a good thing;
>>
>> http://missourifamilies.org/quick/fo...qa/qafs551.htm
>>
>> Lou

>Some vent pipe is stainless steel and not galvanized.

That's true. Alan mentioned a dryer vent pipe. There are also grades
of stainless. Some will even rust if exposed to elements. Items from
home depot are designed for construction. There's not going to be too
many things there I'd want to chance cooking with. I know little
about recycling processes but I was just given a new cookbook (like I
needed more) on grilling. The author mentions when purchasing a
hibachi make sure it's virgin cast as recycled can have impurities
that can be dangerous at high heats. I would assume the same danger
would be there for S/S? I've worked with construction grade S/S and
your hands get black from it. I personally wouldn't want that
anywhere near my food.

Not to mention that chances are home depot wouldn't have the tools or
an employee that would be able to slice it evenly. Chances are it
would be destroyed even with a high end band saw.

I'm sure if I'm wrong I'll hear about it. LOL

Lou

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oxymoron: Sharp Cookie.

Mais, Non, Monseiur. Regardez le Tuile.

Greg, Zee Wiki

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 15 Sep 2006 05:55:39a, Zywicki meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oxymoron: Sharp Cookie.

> Mais, Non, Monseiur. Regardez le Tuile.
>
> Greg, Zee Wiki

You've got a point there, Greg. Erm, well, a sharp edge!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬