Jessica V.

Default Substitution for Red Fish

I was reading _Talk About Good II_ (Junior League CB from LA) today, and
came across a recipe for courtbouillon, that sounds good.

However it calls for Red Fish, suggested substitutions are goo or
sac-a-lait. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what would make a
decent substitution.

Tillapia comes to mind as a possible substitute. The sac-a-lait/white
perch is out of the question unless I can find a place to fish for it
that isn't polluted.

Jessica
RMiller

>ent substitution.
>
>Tillapia comes to mind as a possible substitute. The sac-a-lait/white
>perch is out of the question unless I can find a place to fish for it
>that isn't polluted.

I was shopping for Tilapia at Whole Foods recently, and asked why they did not
have it. They told me that all the tilipia is now farm raised and fed hormones
etc. They will not carry it any more...
Rosie
RMiller

>ent substitution.
>
>Tillapia comes to mind as a possible substitute. The sac-a-lait/white
>perch is out of the question unless I can find a place to fish for it
>that isn't polluted.

I was shopping for Tilapia at Whole Foods recently, and asked why they did not
have it. They told me that all the tilipia is now farm raised and fed hormones
etc. They will not carry it any more...
Rosie
Michael Odom

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:16:28 -0400, "Jessica V." > wrote:

>I was reading _Talk About Good II_ (Junior League CB from LA) today, and
>came across a recipe for courtbouillon, that sounds good.
>
>However it calls for Red Fish, suggested substitutions are goo or
>sac-a-lait. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what would make a
>decent substitution.

Sac-au-lait is a Cajun term for what others call crappie. It's a
reference to their white bellies -- milk bag. The reference to goo
may mean gaspargou, a kind of drum.

>Tillapia comes to mind as a possible substitute. The sac-a-lait/white
>perch is out of the question unless I can find a place to fish for it
>that isn't polluted.

I'd say tilapia would work quite well, maybe even better than
sac-au-lait. Why not use redfish, by the way?

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Michael Odom

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:16:28 -0400, "Jessica V." > wrote:

>I was reading _Talk About Good II_ (Junior League CB from LA) today, and
>came across a recipe for courtbouillon, that sounds good.
>
>However it calls for Red Fish, suggested substitutions are goo or
>sac-a-lait. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what would make a
>decent substitution.

Sac-au-lait is a Cajun term for what others call crappie. It's a
reference to their white bellies -- milk bag. The reference to goo
may mean gaspargou, a kind of drum.

>Tillapia comes to mind as a possible substitute. The sac-a-lait/white
>perch is out of the question unless I can find a place to fish for it
>that isn't polluted.

I'd say tilapia would work quite well, maybe even better than
sac-au-lait. Why not use redfish, by the way?

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

Jessica V.

Michael Odom wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:16:28 -0400, "Jessica V." > wrote:
>

>>I was reading _Talk About Good II_ (Junior League CB from LA) today, and
>>came across a recipe for courtbouillon, that sounds good.
>>
>>However it calls for Red Fish, suggested substitutions are goo or
>>sac-a-lait. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what would make a
>>decent substitution.
>>

> Sac-au-lait is a Cajun term for what others call crappie. It's a
> reference to their white bellies -- milk bag. The reference to goo
> may mean gaspargou, a kind of drum.
>

>>Tillapia comes to mind as a possible substitute. The sac-a-lait/white
>>perch is out of the question unless I can find a place to fish for it
>>that isn't polluted.
>>

> I'd say tilapia would work quite well, maybe even better than
> sac-au-lait. Why not use redfish, by the way?

I'd only not use it because it appears that I can't get it from any of
the fish-mongers here in Maine. Or at least the folks the answer the
phone say they don't have/can't get it.

Jessica

> modom
>
> "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
> -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

Jessica V.

Michael Odom wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:16:28 -0400, "Jessica V." > wrote:
>

>>I was reading _Talk About Good II_ (Junior League CB from LA) today, and
>>came across a recipe for courtbouillon, that sounds good.
>>
>>However it calls for Red Fish, suggested substitutions are goo or
>>sac-a-lait. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what would make a
>>decent substitution.
>>

> Sac-au-lait is a Cajun term for what others call crappie. It's a
> reference to their white bellies -- milk bag. The reference to goo
> may mean gaspargou, a kind of drum.
>

>>Tillapia comes to mind as a possible substitute. The sac-a-lait/white
>>perch is out of the question unless I can find a place to fish for it
>>that isn't polluted.
>>

> I'd say tilapia would work quite well, maybe even better than
> sac-au-lait. Why not use redfish, by the way?

I'd only not use it because it appears that I can't get it from any of
the fish-mongers here in Maine. Or at least the folks the answer the
phone say they don't have/can't get it.

Jessica

> modom
>
> "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
> -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

David Hare-Scott

news :
:
: However it calls for Red Fish, suggested substitutions are goo or
: sac-a-lait. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what would make a
: decent substitution.
:
: Tillapia comes to mind as a possible substitute. The sac-a-lait/white
: perch is out of the question unless I can find a place to fish for it
: that isn't polluted.
:
: Jessica

What do you mean by Red Fish? Around here they may be called Nannygai
(Centroberyx gerradi).

This is an international forum, perhaps a description of the nature of the
fish rather than its local name would attract better replies.

David

stark

In article >, Jessica V.
> wrote:

> However it calls for Red Fish, suggested substitutions are goo or
> sac-a-lait. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what would make a
> decent substitution.
>
> Tillapia comes to mind as a possible substitute. The sac-a-lait/white
> perch is out of the question unless I can find a place to fish for it
> that isn't polluted.
>
> Jessica

What Louisiannans call a redfish is an Gulf fish; I don't think it's a
red snapper. The Brennans say it's a member of the bass family and that
trout, flounder or any nonoily fish could be substituted. I've noticed
that NO restaurants are using a lot of Drum lately.
Christopher Green

"Jessica V." > wrote in message >...
> Michael Odom wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:16:28 -0400, "Jessica V." > wrote:
> >

> >>I was reading _Talk About Good II_ (Junior League CB from LA) today, and
> >>came across a recipe for courtbouillon, that sounds good.
> >>
> >>However it calls for Red Fish, suggested substitutions are goo or
> >>sac-a-lait. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what would make a
> >>decent substitution.
> >>

> > Sac-au-lait is a Cajun term for what others call crappie. It's a
> > reference to their white bellies -- milk bag. The reference to goo
> > may mean gaspargou, a kind of drum.
> >

> >>Tillapia comes to mind as a possible substitute. The sac-a-lait/white
> >>perch is out of the question unless I can find a place to fish for it
> >>that isn't polluted.
> >>

> > I'd say tilapia would work quite well, maybe even better than
> > sac-au-lait. Why not use redfish, by the way?

> I'd only not use it because it appears that I can't get it from any of
> the fish-mongers here in Maine. Or at least the folks the answer the
> phone say they don't have/can't get it.
>
> Jessica

Redfish hasn't been fished commercially since the stocks were depleted
in the craze for blackened redfish in the Eighties, that's probably
why you can't get it in Maine. In Louisiana, only sport anglers may
fish for it.

It's more distinctive as a game fish than in the kitchen, anyway. Any
firm-fleshed, neutral white fish will substitute for it.

--
Chris Green
Christopher Green

"Jessica V." > wrote in message >...
> Michael Odom wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:16:28 -0400, "Jessica V." > wrote:
> >

> >>I was reading _Talk About Good II_ (Junior League CB from LA) today, and
> >>came across a recipe for courtbouillon, that sounds good.
> >>
> >>However it calls for Red Fish, suggested substitutions are goo or
> >>sac-a-lait. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what would make a
> >>decent substitution.
> >>

> > Sac-au-lait is a Cajun term for what others call crappie. It's a
> > reference to their white bellies -- milk bag. The reference to goo
> > may mean gaspargou, a kind of drum.
> >

> >>Tillapia comes to mind as a possible substitute. The sac-a-lait/white
> >>perch is out of the question unless I can find a place to fish for it
> >>that isn't polluted.
> >>

> > I'd say tilapia would work quite well, maybe even better than
> > sac-au-lait. Why not use redfish, by the way?

> I'd only not use it because it appears that I can't get it from any of
> the fish-mongers here in Maine. Or at least the folks the answer the
> phone say they don't have/can't get it.
>
> Jessica

Redfish hasn't been fished commercially since the stocks were depleted
in the craze for blackened redfish in the Eighties, that's probably
why you can't get it in Maine. In Louisiana, only sport anglers may
fish for it.

It's more distinctive as a game fish than in the kitchen, anyway. Any
firm-fleshed, neutral white fish will substitute for it.

--
Chris Green
zuuum

That is the first time I have ever heard of court boullion requiring any
particular fish. Any firm flavorful fish should do.

zuuum

That is the first time I have ever heard of court boullion requiring any
particular fish. Any firm flavorful fish should do.

Lynn Gifford

One fish?
Two fish?
Red fish?
Blue Fish?

Oh, wait. Wrong newsgroup.
Should be alt.seuss

Lynn from Fargo
Lynn Gifford

One fish?
Two fish?
Red fish?
Blue Fish?

Oh, wait. Wrong newsgroup.
Should be alt.seuss

Lynn from Fargo
Peter Aitken

"raymond" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:38:10 GMT, stark >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >, Jessica V.
> > wrote:
> >
> >> However it calls for Red Fish, suggested substitutions are goo or
> >> sac-a-lait. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what would make a
> >> decent substitution.
> >>
> >> Tillapia comes to mind as a possible substitute. The sac-a-lait/white
> >> perch is out of the question unless I can find a place to fish for it
> >> that isn't polluted.
> >>
> >> Jessica

> >What Louisiannans call a redfish is an Gulf fish; I don't think it's a
> >red snapper. The Brennans say it's a member of the bass family and that
> >trout, flounder or any nonoily fish could be substituted. I've noticed
> >that NO restaurants are using a lot of Drum lately.

> Right, Redfish and Red Snapper are two different things. When I was a
> kid, if we caught a Redfish we cut it up and used it for bait to catch
> something we could eat, hopefully a Red Snapper. But the Cajuns, who
> eat anything and everything, figured out a way to make Redfish tasty
> and in 1984 Paul Prudhomme published his recipe for Blackened Redfish
> in his Lousiana Kitchen cookbook and the run on Redfish started. It
> is the only time in history when a single person with a single recipe
> depleted an entire species.

I'm surprised that redfish were unpopular before the blackened redfish
craze. We catch them here in North Carolina from the surf and from boats.
They are called red drum here, and the smaller (5-12) lb ones which are
prime for eating are "puppy drum." It is one of the best fish I have ever
tasted, blackened or not.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"raymond" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:38:10 GMT, stark >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >, Jessica V.
> > wrote:
> >
> >> However it calls for Red Fish, suggested substitutions are goo or
> >> sac-a-lait. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what would make a
> >> decent substitution.
> >>
> >> Tillapia comes to mind as a possible substitute. The sac-a-lait/white
> >> perch is out of the question unless I can find a place to fish for it
> >> that isn't polluted.
> >>
> >> Jessica

> >What Louisiannans call a redfish is an Gulf fish; I don't think it's a
> >red snapper. The Brennans say it's a member of the bass family and that
> >trout, flounder or any nonoily fish could be substituted. I've noticed
> >that NO restaurants are using a lot of Drum lately.

> Right, Redfish and Red Snapper are two different things. When I was a
> kid, if we caught a Redfish we cut it up and used it for bait to catch
> something we could eat, hopefully a Red Snapper. But the Cajuns, who
> eat anything and everything, figured out a way to make Redfish tasty
> and in 1984 Paul Prudhomme published his recipe for Blackened Redfish
> in his Lousiana Kitchen cookbook and the run on Redfish started. It
> is the only time in history when a single person with a single recipe
> depleted an entire species.

I'm surprised that redfish were unpopular before the blackened redfish
craze. We catch them here in North Carolina from the surf and from boats.
They are called red drum here, and the smaller (5-12) lb ones which are
prime for eating are "puppy drum." It is one of the best fish I have ever
tasted, blackened or not.

--
Peter Aitken

stark

In article > , Peter
Aitken > wrote:

> "raymond" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:38:10 GMT, stark >
> > wrote:

> > >What Louisiannans call a redfish is an Gulf fish; I don't think it's a
> > >red snapper. The Brennans say it's a member of the bass family and that
> > >trout, flounder or any nonoily fish could be substituted. I've noticed
> > >that NO restaurants are using a lot of Drum lately.

> > Right, Redfish and Red Snapper are two different things. When I was a
> > kid, if we caught a Redfish we cut it up and used it for bait to catch
> > something we could eat, hopefully a Red Snapper. But the Cajuns, who
> > eat anything and everything, figured out a way to make Redfish tasty
> > and in 1984 Paul Prudhomme published his recipe for Blackened Redfish
> > in his Lousiana Kitchen cookbook and the run on Redfish started. It
> > is the only time in history when a single person with a single recipe
> > depleted an entire species.
> >

> I'm surprised that redfish were unpopular before the blackened redfish
> craze. We catch them here in North Carolina from the surf and from boats.
> They are called red drum here, and the smaller (5-12) lb ones which are
> prime for eating are "puppy drum." It is one of the best fish I have ever
> tasted, blackened or not.

I don't believe it was unpopular, just not as popular. My wife brought
a recipe for Redfish Court Bouillon into our marriage well before Paul
Prudhomme. But she couldn't find a redfish in the Charleston fish
market, so she opted for red snapper. And was cleaning it on the back
porch when I came home from work. Yeah, we're still married with or
without the fish scales.

stark