Donna Levin

Default Help with cinnamon stick substitution

Hi, all. Please help! I'm in the middle of cooking and just saw that I'm out
of cinnamon sticks. I can't run to the store, but I do have ground cinnamon in
the house. What is the substitution formula? I.e., how much ground cinnamon
should I use if the recipe (a baked tsimmes) calls for 1 cinnamon stick?

Thanks in advance.
Vox Humana

"Donna Levin" > wrote in message
> Hi, all. Please help! I'm in the middle of cooking and just saw that I'm

out
> of cinnamon sticks. I can't run to the store, but I do have ground

cinnamon in
> the house. What is the substitution formula? I.e., how much ground

cinnamon
> should I use if the recipe (a baked tsimmes) calls for 1 cinnamon stick?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Just use what you want for flavor. I like cinnamon and always use twice as
much as called for in the recipe. A little more or less won't hurt. Off
hand, I would say that a cinnamon stick probably grinds down to about two
teaspoons. There is a great variance in the potency of various cinnamons,
so again, you will have to use your judgment.