Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Razing the Harden of Eden.

A Texas police operation resorted to paramilitary force in its fruitless search for pot plants.
"The Bible tells us that the Garden of Eden was heaven on Earth — until Adam ate that apple. Then all Hell broke loose. Now, Arlington, Texas, has updated this tale.
At about 7:30 in the morning of August 2, a SWAT team of armed police agents, code enforcement officers, and narcotics detectives stormed Shellie Smith’s little organic farm — which she named “Garden of Eden.”

They burst through the gate, handcuffed the terrified residents, and held them at gunpoint while the agents executed the raid’s mission.

Which was what, exactly? “The purpose was to improve the quality of life [and] to resolve life safety issues within neighborhoods,” a spokeswoman for the city said.

It seems there had been complaints about marijuana being grown and about the place being unkempt.

So, what did the derring-do raiders achieve? They captured 17 blackberry bushes, 15 okra plants, 14 tomatillo plants, some native grasses, and all the sunflowers. Then they whacked down Shellie’s sweet potato patch with a Weed-Eater and seized the farm’s compost, along with some wooden pallets, old tires, and furniture.

Did you notice what they didn’t find? Marijuana plants. Nor any other illegal products.

Yes, based on a mere rumor, autocratic police power was unleashed to “improve the quality of life” in a Texan city by destroying an organic farm.

Why would police resort to paramilitary force just for a fruitless search for marijuana plants?

Right-wing officials and arms-industry lobbyists have been pushing ordinary law enforcement agencies across America to switch from a peacekeeping approach to an aggressive, militarized, SWAT mentality. Increasingly, our police departments are being armed, trained, and psyched to treat common citizens as enemies. To learn more, visitwww.aclu.org/militarization"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2013 1:04 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> A Texas police operation resorted to paramilitary force in its fruitless search for pot plants.
> "The Bible tells us that the Garden of Eden was heaven on Earth — until Adam ate that apple. Then all Hell broke loose. Now, Arlington, Texas, has updated this tale.
> At about 7:30 in the morning of August 2, a SWAT team of armed police agents, code enforcement officers, and narcotics detectives stormed Shellie Smith’s little organic farm — which she named “Garden of Eden.”
>
> They burst through the gate, handcuffed the terrified residents, and held them at gunpoint while the agents executed the raid’s mission.
>
> Which was what, exactly? “The purpose was to improve the quality of life [and] to resolve life safety issues within neighborhoods,” a spokeswoman for the city said.
>
> It seems there had been complaints about marijuana being grown and about the place being unkempt.
>
> So, what did the derring-do raiders achieve? They captured 17 blackberry bushes, 15 okra plants, 14 tomatillo plants, some native grasses, and all the sunflowers. Then they whacked down Shellie’s sweet potato patch with a Weed-Eater and seized the farm’s compost, along with some wooden pallets, old tires, and furniture.
>
> Did you notice what they didn’t find? Marijuana plants. Nor any other illegal products.

(snip)

Pretty funny. They should raid my house. They'll find produce bought
from the local farm stand.

'In the Garden of Allah' by Don Henley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpnlnoaUSpE

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> A Texas police operation resorted to paramilitary force in its fruitless
> search for pot plants.
> "The Bible tells us that the Garden of Eden was heaven on Earth — until
> Adam ate that apple. Then all Hell broke loose. Now, Arlington, Texas, has
> updated this tale.
> At about 7:30 in the morning of August 2, a SWAT team of armed police
> agents, code enforcement officers, and narcotics detectives stormed
> Shellie Smith’s little organic farm — which she named “Garden of Eden.”
>
> They burst through the gate, handcuffed the terrified residents, and held
> them at gunpoint while the agents executed the raid’s mission.
>
> Which was what, exactly? “The purpose was to improve the quality of life
> [and] to resolve life safety issues within neighborhoods,” a spokeswoman
> for the city said.
>
> It seems there had been complaints about marijuana being grown and about
> the place being unkempt.
>
> So, what did the derring-do raiders achieve? They captured 17 blackberry
> bushes, 15 okra plants, 14 tomatillo plants, some native grasses, and all
> the sunflowers. Then they whacked down Shellie’s sweet potato patch with a
> Weed-Eater and seized the farm’s compost, along with some wooden pallets,
> old tires, and furniture.
>
> Did you notice what they didn’t find? Marijuana plants. Nor any other
> illegal products.
>
> Yes, based on a mere rumor, autocratic police power was unleashed to
> “improve the quality of life” in a Texan city by destroying an organic
> farm.
>
> Why would police resort to paramilitary force just for a fruitless search
> for marijuana plants?
>
> Right-wing officials and arms-industry lobbyists have been pushing
> ordinary law enforcement agencies across America to switch from a
> peacekeeping approach to an aggressive, militarized, SWAT mentality.
> Increasingly, our police departments are being armed, trained, and psyched
> to treat common citizens as enemies. To learn more,
> visitwww.aclu.org/militarization"
>
> http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/08/30-4

Some poor man here had his greenhouse raided and he was arrested. Wrecked
all his tomato plants. Perhaps they needs to be educated about what
marijuana plants actually look like.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The real eye opener here is the raid was never conducted in search of pot
plants. It was all a code enforcement action because the neighbors had
complained. So the city thought it would be cute to send in commandos on a
ruse ands just get it done "efficiently." That's why they hauled
everything away. What is really disturbing here is this is becoming a
national trend. Overwhelming force is being used to handle situations which
used to just involve a cop or two and a chat on the front lawn. Sometimes
these raids turn quite deadly. Last month in Illinois a 95 year old WWII
vet who fought the Japanese on Guam was executed by stormtroopers who
invaded his nursing facility when he refused medical treatment. Despite the
staff begging the cops to back off so they could help him calm down they
fired a riot disbursing bean bag shot point blank into his gut and he bled
to death internally. The cops claimed it was all just procedure and the
officer who fired thought he saw a weapon. No weapon was found. The
Japanese army couldn't kill him but his local "peace officers" nailed him.

[...]

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-08-31 18:53:47 +0000, Ophelia said:

> Some poor man here had his greenhouse raided and he was arrested.
> Wrecked all his tomato plants. Perhaps they needs to be educated about
> what marijuana plants actually look like.

I know they'll apologize sooner or later, but I think they should pay
to have all damages repaired or replaced, as well as significant
punitive retribution. A few $500k gardening episodes should cure them
of the inability to tell a tomato plant from pot. But by then whoever
is running for office in either in or pursuing other career options.

If your crew's task it so pursue illegal plants, drugs, forged
documents or illegal knock-off products--anything at all, that crew
should be able to IDENTIFY what they are looking for.

Maybe that's too simple.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote:
>"ImStillMags" wrote:
>
>> A Texas police operation resorted to paramilitary force in its fruitless
>> search for pot plants.
>> "The Bible tells us that the Garden of Eden was heaven on Earth — until
>> Adam ate that apple.

Um, wasn't it Eve who purportedly ate that apple?

>> Then all Hell broke loose. Now, Arlington, Texas, has
>> updated this tale.
>> At about 7:30 in the morning of August 2, a SWAT team of armed police
>> agents, code enforcement officers, and narcotics detectives stormed
>> Shellie Smith’s little organic farm — which she named “Garden of Eden.”
>>
>> They burst through the gate, handcuffed the terrified residents, and held
>> them at gunpoint while the agents executed the raid’s mission.
>>
>> Which was what, exactly? “The purpose was to improve the quality of life
>> [and] to resolve life safety issues within neighborhoods,” a spokeswoman
>> for the city said.
>>
>> It seems there had been complaints about marijuana being grown and about
>> the place being unkempt.
>>
>> So, what did the derring-do raiders achieve? They captured 17 blackberry
>> bushes, 15 okra plants, 14 tomatillo plants, some native grasses, and all
>> the sunflowers. Then they whacked down Shellie’s sweet potato patch with a
>> Weed-Eater and seized the farm’s compost, along with some wooden pallets,
>> old tires, and furniture.
>>
>> Did you notice what they didn’t find? Marijuana plants. Nor any other
>> illegal products.
>>
>> Yes, based on a mere rumor, autocratic police power was unleashed to
>> “improve the quality of life” in a Texan city by destroying an organic
>> farm.
>>
>> Why would police resort to paramilitary force just for a fruitless search
>> for marijuana plants?
>>
>> Right-wing officials and arms-industry lobbyists have been pushing
>> ordinary law enforcement agencies across America to switch from a
>> peacekeeping approach to an aggressive, militarized, SWAT mentality.
>> Increasingly, our police departments are being armed, trained, and psyched
>> to treat common citizens as enemies. To learn more,
>> visitwww.aclu.org/militarization"
>>
>> http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/08/30-4

> Some poor man here had his greenhouse raided and he was arrested. Wrecked
>all his tomato plants. Perhaps they need to be educated about what
>marijuana plants actually look like.

Law enforcement doesn't attract the well educated.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-08-31 3:55 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> Some poor man here had his greenhouse raided and he was arrested. Wrecked
>> all his tomato plants. Perhaps they need to be educated about what
>> marijuana plants actually look like.

> Law enforcement doesn't attract the well educated.

Not in the US. I don't know what is going on down there. Most Americans
I meet are nice, friendly people, but something seems to happen to them
when you give them a badge and uniform. They turn into first class
pricks. Cops here are better paid and usually much better educated.
Almost all the cops I know have university degrees, and the are very
professional in the performance of their duties.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013083112513680929-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-08-31 18:53:47 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
>> Some poor man here had his greenhouse raided and he was arrested.
>> Wrecked all his tomato plants. Perhaps they needs to be educated about
>> what marijuana plants actually look like.

> I know they'll apologize sooner or later, but I think they should pay to
> have all damages repaired or replaced, as well as significant punitive
> retribution.

I doubt it. It seems that if the cops kick your door down by mistake here,
they don't have to pay any compensation

A few $500k gardening episodes should cure them
> of the inability to tell a tomato plant from pot. But by then whoever is
> running for office in either in or pursuing other career options.
>
> If your crew's task it so pursue illegal plants, drugs, forged documents
> or illegal knock-off products--anything at all, that crew should be able
> to IDENTIFY what they are looking for.
>
> Maybe that's too simple.

So it seems

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2013 3:55 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Ophelia" wrote:
>> "ImStillMags" wrote:
>>
>>> A Texas police operation resorted to paramilitary force in its fruitless
>>> search for pot plants.
>>> "The Bible tells us that the Garden of Eden was heaven on Earth — until
>>> Adam ate that apple.

> Um, wasn't it Eve who purportedly ate that apple?

(snip)

They both did. Why the hell an apple should be forbidden is a mystery.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-09-01 00:12:40 +0000, jmcquown said:

>> Um, wasn't it Eve who purportedly ate that apple?

> They both did. Why the hell an apple should be forbidden is a mystery.

I think that Eve tempted Adam into disobeying God's edict, then they
both gobbled. The apple was the "apple of knowledge", see, so it wasn't
just any old apple. Besides even it it was just a regular apple, it was
God testing them.

But since God knows all, he knew they would fail the test before he
even created them. So I think they got the shaft. It must be a nuisance
to live in heaven with God, with Him saying "I KNEW it!" all the time.
Tedious.

On the other hand, they got cast out of the garden of Eden because they
failed the test, and no longer had to put up with his petty edicts and
pre-failed tests any more and could eat whatever they liked, invent
clothes and start destroying the earth.

I'm not sure if the bible tells the story quite that way, but I think
that's the jist of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2013 8:49 PM, gtr wrote:

>>> Um, wasn't it Eve who purportedly ate that apple?

>> They both did. Why the hell an apple should be forbidden is a mystery.

> I think that Eve tempted Adam into disobeying God's edict, then they
> both gobbled. The apple was the "apple of knowledge", see, so it wasn't
> just any old apple.

(snippage)

Was it a Goya apple? My lovebird was partial to those.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2013 8:12 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/31/2013 3:55 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

..

>> Um, wasn't it Eve who purportedly ate that apple?
>>

> (snip)
>
> They both did. Why the hell an apple should be forbidden is a mystery.

I don't know exactly where it became an apple. It was the tree of the
knowledge of good and evil. It was the earliest form of law against
blasphemy. They were not supposed to know enough to question God.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2013 8:12 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/31/2013 3:55 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> Um, wasn't it Eve who purportedly ate that apple?
>>

> (snip)
>
> They both did. Why the hell an apple should be forbidden is a mystery.

Even when it's God saying, Because I said so doesn't work. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-09-01 02:06:50 +0000, Nancy Young said:

> On 8/31/2013 8:12 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Um, wasn't it Eve who purportedly ate that apple?
>>>

>> (snip)
>>
>> They both did. Why the hell an apple should be forbidden is a mystery.

> Even when it's God saying, Because I said so doesn't work. Heh.

Yeah, he knew that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 31, 2013 2:55:11 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Ophelia" wrote:
>
> >"ImStillMags" wrote:

> >> A Texas police operation resorted to paramilitary force in its fruitless

> >> search for pot plants.

> >> "The Bible tells us that the Garden of Eden was heaven on Earth — until

> >> Adam ate that apple.

> Um, wasn't it Eve who purportedly ate that apple?

It wasn't until Eve got Adam to eat it that it really mattered. In
Patriarchal culture, females only matter because of their effects on
males.

> >> Then all Hell broke loose. Now, Arlington, Texas, has

> >> updated this tale.

> >> At about 7:30 in the morning of August 2, a SWAT team of armed police

> >> agents, code enforcement officers, and narcotics detectives stormed

> >> Shellie Smith’s little organic farm — which she named “Garden of Eden.”

> >> They burst through the gate, handcuffed the terrified residents, and held

> >> them at gunpoint while the agents executed the raid’s mission.

> >> Which was what, exactly? “The purpose was to improve the quality of life

> >> [and] to resolve life safety issues within neighborhoods,” a spokeswoman

> >> for the city said.

> >> It seems there had been complaints about marijuana being grown and about

> >> the place being unkempt.

> >> So, what did the derring-do raiders achieve? They captured 17 blackberry

> >> bushes, 15 okra plants, 14 tomatillo plants, some native grasses, and all

> >> the sunflowers. Then they whacked down Shellie’s sweet potato patch with a

> >> Weed-Eater and seized the farm’s compost, along with some wooden pallets,

> >> old tires, and furniture.

> >> Did you notice what they didn’t find? Marijuana plants. Nor any other

> >> illegal products.

> >> Yes, based on a mere rumor, autocratic police power was unleashed to

> >> “improve the quality of life” in a Texan city by destroying an organic

> >> farm.

> >> Why would police resort to paramilitary force just for a fruitless search

> >> for marijuana plants?

> >> Right-wing officials and arms-industry lobbyists have been pushing

> >> ordinary law enforcement agencies across America to switch from a

> >> peacekeeping approach to an aggressive, militarized, SWAT mentality.

> >> Increasingly, our police departments are being armed, trained, and psyched

> >> to treat common citizens as enemies. To learn more,

> >> visitwww.aclu.org/militarization"

> >> http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/08/30-4

> > Some poor man here had his greenhouse raided and he was arrested. Wrecked

> >all his tomato plants. Perhaps they need to be educated about what

> >marijuana plants actually look like.

> Law enforcement doesn't attract the well educated.

It's not so much lack of education, or even intelligence. Law enforcement
attracts bullies. Not all cops are bullies, but most are. The cops who
enforce vice laws, when I hear about one being killed in the line of duty, it
makes me happy.

--Bryan O|O

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 31, 2013 7:49:43 PM UTC-5, gtr wrote:

> >> Um, wasn't it Eve who purportedly ate that apple?

> > They both did. Why the hell an apple should be forbidden is a mystery.

> I think that Eve tempted Adam into disobeying God's edict, then they
>
> both gobbled. The apple was the "apple of knowledge", see, so it wasn't
>
> just any old apple. Besides even it it was just a regular apple, it was
>
> God testing them.

It was a myth to justify a culture where women were second class persons.

> But since God knows all, he knew they would fail the test before he
>
> even created them. So I think they got the shaft. It must be a nuisance
>
> to live in heaven with God, with Him saying "I KNEW it!" all the time.
>
> Tedious.

That whole God being omniscient about the future thing seems loony.

> On the other hand, they got cast out of the garden of Eden because they
>
> failed the test, and no longer had to put up with his petty edicts and
>
> pre-failed tests any more and could eat whatever they liked, invent
>
> clothes and start destroying the earth.

NUDITY IS FREEDOM!

> I'm not sure if the bible tells the story quite that way, but I think
>
> that's the jist of it.

And if you buy that, I've got this bridge...

--Bryan O|O
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 8/31/2013 3:55 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> Um, wasn't it Eve who purportedly ate that apple?
>>

> (snip)
>
> They both did. Why the hell an apple should be forbidden is a mystery.

It was a metaphor.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013083117494343551-xxx@yyyzzz...

>>> Um, wasn't it Eve who purportedly ate that apple?

>> They both did. Why the hell an apple should be forbidden is a mystery.

> I think that Eve tempted Adam into disobeying God's edict, then they both
> gobbled. The apple was the "apple of knowledge", see, so it wasn't just
> any old apple. Besides even it it was just a regular apple, it was God
> testing them.
>
> But since God knows all, he knew they would fail the test before he even
> created them. So I think they got the shaft. It must be a nuisance to live
> in heaven with God, with Him saying "I KNEW it!" all the time. Tedious.
>
> On the other hand, they got cast out of the garden of Eden because they
> failed the test, and no longer had to put up with his petty edicts and
> pre-failed tests any more and could eat whatever they liked, invent
> clothes and start destroying the earth.
>
> I'm not sure if the bible tells the story quite that way, but I think
> that's the jist of it.

All sounds fairynuff to me)
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > Law enforcement doesn't attract the well educated.

> It's not so much lack of education, or even intelligence. Law enforcement
> attracts bullies. Not all cops are bullies, but most are.

That's not true. I've only encountered one "bully" cop. Keep in mind,
in their job, they deal with the scum of society mostly. Because of
that, they might be expecting the worst out of you. That's normally
what they encounter. If you remain polite and cooperative, no
problem. Cops are just normal people with families doing our dirty
work for us. The police are our friends that will risk their lives to
come to our rescue. Only criminal-types need hate and fear them.

Just imagine what our society would be like if all police forces were
eliminated and criminal types didn't have to worry about police. I'm
thinking the Road Warrior scenario.

> The cops who enforce vice laws,

Remember, cops don't make the laws, their job is to enforce them.

> when I hear about one being killed in
> the line of duty, it makes me happy.

Really? Shame on you!
Feel free to continuously embarrass yourself publically. geez.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-09-01 8:14 AM, Gary wrote:

> Just imagine what our society would be like if all police forces were
> eliminated and criminal types didn't have to worry about police. I'm
> thinking the Road Warrior scenario.
>
>> The cops who enforce vice laws,

> Remember, cops don't make the laws, their job is to enforce them.

True, but they do have discretion and some of them have strange ideas
about priorities IMO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2013-09-01 8:14 AM, Gary wrote:
>

> > Just imagine what our society would be like if all police forces were
> > eliminated and criminal types didn't have to worry about police. I'm
> > thinking the Road Warrior scenario.
> >
> >> The cops who enforce vice laws,

> > Remember, cops don't make the laws, their job is to enforce them.

> True, but they do have discretion and some of them have strange ideas
> about priorities IMO.

My bottom line here is if you get stopped for a traffic offense, yield
to them and be polite. It can often make the difference between
getting a ticket or a warning.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-09-01 12:54:58 +0000, Dave Smith said:

> On 2013-09-01 8:14 AM, Gary wrote:
>

>> Just imagine what our society would be like if all police forces were
>> eliminated and criminal types didn't have to worry about police. I'm
>> thinking the Road Warrior scenario.
>>
>>> The cops who enforce vice laws,

>> Remember, cops don't make the laws, their job is to enforce them.

> True, but they do have discretion and some of them have strange ideas
> about priorities IMO.

For the most part, like most other such professions, they do as they
are told. That's certainly the case with this "Garden of Eden" thing.
If you've had problems with cops via tickets, public activities,etc.
(especially if you're not black/hispanic), then you likely have a very
different attitude about cops, considering them all individual
marauding bullies. That would make sense.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-09-01 9:45 AM, Gary wrote:
The cops who enforce vice laws,

>>> Remember, cops don't make the laws, their job is to enforce them.

>> True, but they do have discretion and some of them have strange ideas
>> about priorities IMO.

> My bottom line here is if you get stopped for a traffic offense, yield
> to them and be polite. It can often make the difference between
> getting a ticket or a warning.

The thing is that most drivers are doing something wrong. They may be
speeding, making unsafe lane changes, failing to stop at stop signs etc.
It was very rare for me to do an inspection and not have found any
violations at all. If it was a minor one and the person was decent they
got warnings. If they were jerks and argued about it.... give them a
ticket and let them argue with the judge. If someone was an extreme
jerk, they walked away with a lot of paper. It was no surprise to look
at their driving record and convictions. They were almost always
multiple incidents of multiple charges that included the sorts of
offenses that usually got warnings..... attitude adjustment charges.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-09-01 09:45:55 +0000, Bryan-TGWWW said:

>>> They both did. Why the hell an apple should be forbidden is a mystery.

>> I think that Eve tempted Adam into disobeying God's edict, then they
>> both gobbled. The apple was the "apple of knowledge", see, so it wasn't
>> just any old apple. Besides even it it was just a regular apple, it was
>> God testing them.

> It was a myth to justify a culture where women were second class persons.

Oh--so the bible is filled with myths then, is it?

> But since God knows all, he knew they would fail the test before he
> even created them. So I think they got the shaft. It must be a nuisance
> to live in heaven with God, with Him saying "I KNEW it!" all the time.
> Tedious.
>>

> That whole God being omniscient about the future thing seems loony.

As compared, say, to Lot and the pillar of salt thing, or Jonah and the whale?

>> On the other hand, they got cast out of the garden of Eden because they
>> failed the test, and no longer had to put up with his petty edicts and
>> pre-failed tests any more and could eat whatever they liked, invent
>> clothes and start destroying the earth.
>>

> NUDITY IS FREEDOM!
>>
>> I'm not sure if the bible tells the story quite that way, but I think
>> that's the [g]ist of it.

> And if you buy that, I've got this bridge...

Who said anything about belief?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-09-01 09:47:02 +0000, Ophelia said:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Um, wasn't it Eve who purportedly ate that apple?
>>>

>> (snip)
>>
>> They both did. Why the hell an apple should be forbidden is a mystery.

> It was a metaphor.

It is when it's convenient, otherwise it's the inerrant word of God and
literal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-09-01 15:50:52 +0000, Dave Smith said:

> On 2013-09-01 9:45 AM, Gary wrote:
> The cops who enforce vice laws,

>>> True, but they do have discretion and some of them have strange ideas
>>> about priorities IMO.

>> My bottom line here is if you get stopped for a traffic offense, yield
>> to them and be polite. It can often make the difference between
>> getting a ticket or a warning.

> The thing is that most drivers are doing something wrong. They may be
> speeding, making unsafe lane changes, failing to stop at stop signs etc.

Well sure; hopefully that's why they were stopped, rather than "looking
suspicious" which I understand can be a capital offense if the
policeman is nervous, over-worked or suspicious.

> It was very rare for me to do an inspection and not have found any
> violations at all. If it was a minor one and the person was decent they
> got warnings. If they were jerks and argued about it.... give them a
> ticket and let them argue with the judge.

So minor offenses only got punishment if they don't meet the random
personal sensibilities of an individual cop. That sounds "fair and
balanced". That's why I avoid using my vocabulary around "fair and
balanced" people: They think it's "attitude". "putting on airs" or
"making them feel stupid".

> If someone was an extreme jerk, they walked away with a lot of paper.

Can you give an example of "extreme jerk" as viewed by a ticket-writing
cop and his personal viewpoints?

> It was no surprise to look at their driving record and convictions.

Hmm. Are you saying that there were many policeman that were offended
by many minor violations, leading to major violations of "attitude
towards the police"?

> They were almost always multiple incidents of multiple charges that
> included the sorts of offenses that usually got warnings..... attitude
> adjustment charges.

Ah: So if you don't like them or were easily offended, then they get
punished more--not so much a matter of the crime but of the punitive
feelings of the policeman.

This is what I try to tell people isn't the case. Thanks for proving me wrong.

Say, this makes me wonder about race-as-attitude, and whether skin
color or accent is seen as a potential form of "jerkness".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013090108533662696-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-09-01 09:47:02 +0000, Ophelia said:

>>> (snip)
>>>
>>> They both did. Why the hell an apple should be forbidden is a mystery.

>> It was a metaphor.

> It is when it's convenient, otherwise it's the inerrant word of God and
> literal.

Depends whom you ask

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BwrrrryanSimmons wrote:

> Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> Um, wasn't it Eve who purportedly ate that apple?
>>

>It wasn't until Eve got Adam to eat it that it really mattered. In
>Patriarchal culture, females only matter because of their effects on
>males.

What would you know about females, FAGGOTY BWRRRRYAN!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2013 3:41 AM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Saturday, August 31, 2013 2:55:11 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> Um, wasn't it Eve who purportedly ate that apple?
>>

> It wasn't until Eve got Adam to eat it that it really mattered. In
> Patriarchal culture, females only matter because of their effects on
> males.

>>> Some poor man here had his greenhouse raided and he was arrested. Wrecked

>>> all his tomato plants. Perhaps they need to be educated about what

>>> marijuana plants actually look like.

>> Law enforcement doesn't attract the well educated.

> It's not so much lack of education, or even intelligence. Law enforcement
> attracts bullies. Not all cops are bullies, but most are. The cops who
> enforce vice laws, when I hear about one being killed in the line of duty, it
> makes me happy.
>
> --Bryan O|O

That's unevolved of you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2013 11:50 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2013-09-01 9:45 AM, Gary wrote:
> The cops who enforce vice laws,

>>> True, but they do have discretion and some of them have strange ideas
>>> about priorities IMO.

>> My bottom line here is if you get stopped for a traffic offense, yield
>> to them and be polite. It can often make the difference between
>> getting a ticket or a warning.
>>

> The thing is that most drivers are doing something wrong. They may be
> speeding, making unsafe lane changes, failing to stop at stop signs etc.

I think you meant to say most drivers who are stopped did something wrong.

> It was very rare for me to do an inspection and not have found any
> violations at all. If it was a minor one and the person was decent they
> got warnings. If they were jerks and argued about it.... give them a
> ticket and let them argue with the judge.

Okay. Here's a scenario for you. It's a two lane road with nothing but
ditches on either side. So what happens when there is a fire engine and
police roaring up the street and there is no place to pull over? Does
the cop ticket the person because they had no place to pull off the road
to yield for an emergency vehicle? That happened to my father. And yes
he argued with the cop. Just because the guy wore a badge didn't make
him right. Dad had two choices; stop on his side of the road and let
them go around or damage his car by driving it into a ditch. He
probably would have gotten a ticket for doing that, too.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-09-03 5:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:
bottom line here is if you get stopped for a traffic offense, yield
>>> to them and be polite. It can often make the difference between
>>> getting a ticket or a warning.
>>>

>> The thing is that most drivers are doing something wrong. They may be
>> speeding, making unsafe lane changes, failing to stop at stop signs etc.

> I think you meant to say most drivers who are stopped did something wrong.

No. I would say that just about everyone who gets pulled over has done
something obviously wrong. There are very few cars and drivers that are
100% compliant.

>> It was very rare for me to do an inspection and not have found any
>> violations at all. If it was a minor one and the person was decent they
>> got warnings. If they were jerks and argued about it.... give them a
>> ticket and let them argue with the judge.

> Okay. Here's a scenario for you. It's a two lane road with nothing but
> ditches on either side. So what happens when there is a fire engine and
> police roaring up the street and there is no place to pull over? Does
> the cop ticket the person because they had no place to pull off the road
> to yield for an emergency vehicle? That happened to my father. And yes
> he argued with the cop.

You pull to the right and stop. One a road that narrow I will presume
that anyone coming in the opposite direction would not stop beside you.
That allows the emergency vehicle(s) to pass more safely. FWIW, the law
here is that if there is an emergency vehicle with lights flashing and
siren you have to stop as close as practicable to the right. You do not
have to pull off the road.

Just because the guy wore a badge didn't make
> him right. Dad had two choices; stop on his side of the road and let
> them go around or damage his car by driving it into a ditch. He
> probably would have gotten a ticket for doing that, too.

You pull to the right and stop. One a road that narrow I will presume
that anyone coming in the opposite direction would not stop beside you.
That allows the emergency vehicle(s) to pass more safely. FWIW, the law
here is that if there is an emergency vehicle with lights flashing and
siren you have to stop as close as practicable to the right. You do not
have to pull off the road.

Did he not pull to the right and stop? If not, and if your state law is
the same as ours, he was wrong. If he argued about it he might have
talked himself out of a warning and into a ticket.