Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tamales - some harden, some don't...

I purchase cheese tamales from two sources. A lot of them.

We keep them frozen and heat them up in a microwave.

Many times we need to re-heat them.

The tamales from one source can be microwaved to re-heat them, and they
remain soft.

The tamales from the other source are hard after being microwaved to
re-heat.

I would like to get source #2 to modify their recipe to keep the produce
from hardening up. Any idea what the modification needed is?

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

>> The tamales from one source can be microwaved to re-heat them, and they
>> remain soft.
>>
>> The tamales from the other source are hard after being microwaved to
>> re-heat.
>>
>> I would like to get source #2 to modify their recipe to keep the produce
>> from hardening up. Any idea what the modification needed is?

> I would guess all the lard is rendering out of tamale #2 during
> the first heating, making the tamale dry on the second re-heat.

I agree with that diagnosis, but -- and this is the reason I didn't respond
earlier -- what do you DO about it? How do you keep the lard from rendering
out? I'm guessing you'd need some kind of hydrogenation or gum, but I don't
know enough about it to answer with any kind of assurance.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim wrote:
> I purchase cheese tamales from two sources. A lot of them.
>
> We keep them frozen and heat them up in a microwave.
>
> Many times we need to re-heat them.
>
> The tamales from one source can be microwaved to re-heat them, and
> they remain soft.
>
> The tamales from the other source are hard after being microwaved to
> re-heat.
>
> I would like to get source #2 to modify their recipe to keep the
> produce from hardening up. Any idea what the modification needed is?
>
> Jim

I seriously doubt they're going to modify their recipe simply because you
request it. Why don't you just purchase from source #1 since they reheat
just fine for you?

Jill