Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corn Smut (edible fungus)

What an enterprising grandson I have. He's harvesting the fungus from
a friend's corn farm and selling it to a "gourmet" restaurant for
$5.00 per pint. He's also selling to the local farmer's market.
I have no idea what qualifies as gourmet in this instance, I am just
repeating what he wrote to me.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> What an enterprising grandson I have. He's harvesting the fungus from
> a friend's corn farm and selling it to a "gourmet" restaurant for
> $5.00 per pint. He's also selling to the local farmer's market.
> I have no idea what qualifies as gourmet in this instance, I am just
> repeating what he wrote to me.

Hey good for him) I wouldn't know either but you have to be proud)) I
know I would be

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 12:52:08 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> What an enterprising grandson I have. He's harvesting the fungus from
> a friend's corn farm and selling it to a "gourmet" restaurant for
> $5.00 per pint. He's also selling to the local farmer's market.
> I have no idea what qualifies as gourmet in this instance, I am just
> repeating what he wrote to me.

Hey, that's the American way! There's always a silver lining if
you're willing to think outside the box.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 15:06:24 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 12:52:08 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> What an enterprising grandson I have. He's harvesting the fungus from
>> a friend's corn farm and selling it to a "gourmet" restaurant for
>> $5.00 per pint. He's also selling to the local farmer's market.
>> I have no idea what qualifies as gourmet in this instance, I am just
>> repeating what he wrote to me.
>> Janet US

>You're OK with your Grandson being a smut peddler?
>
>Otherwise known as huitlacoche. I don't often see it fresh, only
>canned. And I'm sure canned is probably travesty though I have never
>cooked with it. Only had it in some soup.
>
>-sw

Chuckle. I hadn't thought of it that way. I haven't seen it for sale
fresh or processed. It may be that it is sold in Mexican markets
here. What surprised me is that he lives in Jill's region. I didn't
expect cuisine in that area to use this fungus.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 12:52:08 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>What an enterprising grandson I have. He's harvesting the fungus from
>a friend's corn farm and selling it to a "gourmet" restaurant for
>$5.00 per pint. He's also selling to the local farmer's market.
>I have no idea what qualifies as gourmet in this instance, I am just
>repeating what he wrote to me.
>Janet US

Outfreakingstanding, good for him.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Corn smut? Good for your grandson, making some money for himself, but that stuff is disgusting!

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2013 5:49 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Corn smut? Good for your grandson, making some money for himself, but that stuff is disgusting!
>
> N.

And how!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 16:49:44 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Corn smut? Good for your grandson, making some money for himself, but that stuff is disgusting!
>
>N.

The thing about sales is, there is a buyer for everything -- you just
have to find the market. Why an 11 yo would think of doing this, I
don't know. They did live in New Mexico for a year while parents were
away from the university doing stuff for the government. Maybe that's
where he learned of it. The boys went to all-Spanish speaking schools
while they were there. They will visit soon and I will ask. I'm
curious. Boys of this age tend to write one-line emails -- at least
he has progressed beyond just one word. )
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2013 2:52 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> What an enterprising grandson I have. He's harvesting the fungus from
> a friend's corn farm and selling it to a "gourmet" restaurant for
> $5.00 per pint. He's also selling to the local farmer's market.
> I have no idea what qualifies as gourmet in this instance, I am just
> repeating what he wrote to me.
> Janet US

Good for him! Seriously! I'm so picky that I won't eat anything that is
a fungus, including mushrooms. It just can't get past my brain in the
same way as mold. And I don't eat bleu cheese either. But, that's just me.

I hope me makes a bundle on this endeavor!

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 21:59:37 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 7/22/2013 2:52 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> What an enterprising grandson I have. He's harvesting the fungus from
>> a friend's corn farm and selling it to a "gourmet" restaurant for
>> $5.00 per pint. He's also selling to the local farmer's market.
>> I have no idea what qualifies as gourmet in this instance, I am just
>> repeating what he wrote to me.
>> Janet US
>>

>Good for him! Seriously! I'm so picky that I won't eat anything that is
>a fungus, including mushrooms. It just can't get past my brain in the
>same way as mold. And I don't eat bleu cheese either. But, that's just me.
>
>I hope me makes a bundle on this endeavor!

Sorry to hear about the mushrooms and blue cheese. That's good stuff
)
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/13 1:12 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

> I've both the cheese and the shrooms today. Well, technically it
> wasn't a blue cheese, it was Epoisses ..., whcih is even worse than blue cheese.

"Worse"? I hope you're kidding -- Epoisses is ne of the great cheeses of
the world, and nothing like any blue in flavor, texture, or wine pairings.

And huitlacoche is a delicacy all over Mexico, particularly in the Yucatan.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2013 6:15 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 15:06:24 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 12:52:08 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>>> What an enterprising grandson I have. He's harvesting the fungus from
>>> a friend's corn farm and selling it to a "gourmet" restaurant for
>>> $5.00 per pint. He's also selling to the local farmer's market.
>>> I have no idea what qualifies as gourmet in this instance, I am just
>>> repeating what he wrote to me.
>>> Janet US

>> You're OK with your Grandson being a smut peddler?
>>
>> Otherwise known as huitlacoche. I don't often see it fresh, only
>> canned. And I'm sure canned is probably travesty though I have never
>> cooked with it. Only had it in some soup.
>>
>> -sw

> Chuckle. I hadn't thought of it that way. I haven't seen it for sale
> fresh or processed. It may be that it is sold in Mexican markets
> here. What surprised me is that he lives in Jill's region. I didn't
> expect cuisine in that area to use this fungus.
> Janet US

Surprise! There are some very posh restaurants in the South. He's only
11 years old? Sounds like he's going to be one of those "millionaire by
age 30" types.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

It's a cinch that anyone who likes corn smut never detasseled
corn as a summer job. We wore gloves so as not to touch the stuff, although we didn't find it frequently
in the hybrid corn acres that are routinely detasseled.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 08:36:11 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/22/2013 6:15 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 15:06:24 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> You're OK with your Grandson being a smut peddler?
>>>
>>> Otherwise known as huitlacoche. I don't often see it fresh, only
>>> canned. And I'm sure canned is probably travesty though I have never
>>> cooked with it. Only had it in some soup.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Chuckle. I hadn't thought of it that way. I haven't seen it for sale
>> fresh or processed. It may be that it is sold in Mexican markets
>> here. What surprised me is that he lives in Jill's region. I didn't
>> expect cuisine in that area to use this fungus.
>> Janet US
>>

>Surprise! There are some very posh restaurants in the South. He's only
>11 years old? Sounds like he's going to be one of those "millionaire by
>age 30" types.
>
>Jill

Oooh, good. He can take care of Grandma. ;o)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2013 9:59 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 16:15:19 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> Chuckle. I hadn't thought of it that way. I haven't seen it for sale
>> fresh or processed. It may be that it is sold in Mexican markets
>> here. What surprised me is that he lives in Jill's region. I didn't
>> expect cuisine in that area to use this fungus.

> Yes, there aren't many Mexican restaurants in the Carolinas. But
> consider that restaurant kitchens are the single largest congregation
> of Mexicans in South Carolina. And they may be purchasing it to take
> home with them rather than using it in the restaurants.
>
> -sw

There aren't? Off the top of my head there are two "Mexican"
restaurants near Publix. Of course I wouldn't call them "gourmet", but
they are a step or two above Taco Bell. Drive a little further, into
Beaufort, and you'll find the Tex-Mex equivalent of Applebee's. Moe's
Southwest Grill:

http://bm-moes.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf/...To-go_Menu.pdf

There is a very large migrant worker population, so employees purchasing
corn smut to take home isn't a far stretch.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2013 10:28 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 10:16:58 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Yes, there aren't many Mexican restaurants in the Carolinas. But
>>> consider that restaurant kitchens are the single largest congregation
>>> of Mexicans in South Carolina. And they may be purchasing it to take
>>> home with them rather than using it in the restaurants.
>>>

>> There aren't?

> Compared to most other regions, no. There aren't.
>
>> Drive a little further, into
>> Beaufort, and you'll find the Tex-Mex equivalent of Applebee's. Moe's
>> Southwest Grill:

> Southwest != Mexican. Even your "Mexican" joints aren't very Mexican.

I agree, they aren't very Mexican. But there are alleged Mexican
restaurants.

>> There is a very large migrant worker population, so employees purchasing
>> corn smut to take home isn't a far stretch.

> It would be against health codes in most municipalities to purchase
> goods off "the street" (from someone without a business license) and
> serve it to the public. Health department has closed down several
> restaurants here for doing so.
>
> -sw

That's true. Maybe Janet's 11 year old grandson obtained a business
license. <G>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 08:36:11 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 7/22/2013 6:15 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> Chuckle. I hadn't thought of it that way. I haven't seen it for sale
>>> fresh or processed. It may be that it is sold in Mexican markets
>>> here. What surprised me is that he lives in Jill's region. I didn't
>>> expect cuisine in that area to use this fungus.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>>Surprise! There are some very posh restaurants in the South. He's only
>>11 years old? Sounds like he's going to be one of those "millionaire by
>>age 30" types.
>>
>>Jill

> Oooh, good. He can take care of Grandma. ;o)

lol my thoughts exactly <g>

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> It would be against health codes in most municipalities to purchase
> goods off "the street"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIN8MmMloZE

"You know I been smokin' all a my life and I ain't dead yet"

http://www.yelp.com/user_details?use...qvcdFuU1dR8bgA

Steve "Rockin the Boat" W.'s Profile

Location
Austin, TX

Most Recent Discovery
I'm getting older

I went in to buy cigarettes as I do twice a week for the last 6 months
and was given "short" cigarettes instead of the longer 100's style. I
was halfway out the door when I realized the mistake. The door hadn't
even had time to close behind me when I went back in to get the right
cigarettes. Had to wait behind a few other people at the cash
register but when I got there he said they have a policy that once you
leave the store you cannot return or exchange anything. I told him
the door never even closed behind me so technically I never left the
store. And more importantly you gave me the wrong cigarettes. It was
a simple exchange.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> there aren't many Mexican restaurants in the Carolinas.

Yer not in the carolinas, sqwerty.

[...]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Not me though. I
> bought a bunch of it recently.

Puff it all up, huffer.

[...]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Pictures of both in alt.binaries.food.
>
> -sw

With a huge load of yer mayo spooge all over em?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> You're OK with your Grandson being a smut peddler?

LOL! Lest the context for that comments is lost, this is corn
smut, people.

> Otherwise known as huitlacoche. I don't often see it fresh, only
> canned. And I'm sure canned is probably travesty though I have never
> cooked with it. Only had it in some soup.
>
> -sw

I wish I had access to fresh huitlacoche. Like you, I only see
canned, and that doesn't strike me as being a good way to go.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 16:12:12 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>> You're OK with your Grandson being a smut peddler?

>LOL! Lest the context for that comments is lost, this is corn
>smut, people.
>>
>> Otherwise known as huitlacoche. I don't often see it fresh, only
>> canned. And I'm sure canned is probably travesty though I have never
>> cooked with it. Only had it in some soup.
>>
>> -sw

>I wish I had access to fresh huitlacoche. Like you, I only see
>canned, and that doesn't strike me as being a good way to go.

what does it taste like? what is the mouth feel?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 12:52:08 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> What an enterprising grandson I have. He's harvesting the fungus from
>> a friend's corn farm and selling it to a "gourmet" restaurant for
>> $5.00 per pint. He's also selling to the local farmer's market.
>> I have no idea what qualifies as gourmet in this instance, I am just
>> repeating what he wrote to me.
>> Janet US

>You're OK with your Grandson being a smut peddler?

Why not, he could always sell these if he runs out of the other smut:
http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2009-05...2270712106.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 16:12:12 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>> You're OK with your Grandson being a smut peddler?

>> LOL! Lest the context for that comments is lost, this is corn
>> smut, people.
>>> Otherwise known as huitlacoche. I don't often see it fresh, only
>>> canned. And I'm sure canned is probably travesty though I have never
>>> cooked with it. Only had it in some soup.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I wish I had access to fresh huitlacoche. Like you, I only see
>> canned, and that doesn't strike me as being a good way to go.

> what does it taste like? what is the mouth feel?
> Janet US

I STILL haven't had it. Hmmm. Maybe I can get to a restaurant
that has been known to serve it. And in a few minutes, I will put
out a query as to whether it has been seen at any farmers' markets.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> what does it taste like? what is the mouth feel?

Here's one man's review (not me). Scroll to the section halfway down
the page. Note: in this article it is spelled "cuitlacoche".

http://www.thesneeze.com/steve-dont-eat-it/

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 21:10:06 -0700, Julian Vrieslander
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> what does it taste like? what is the mouth feel?

>Here's one man's review (not me). Scroll to the section halfway down
>the page. Note: in this article it is spelled "cuitlacoche".
>
>http://www.thesneeze.com/steve-dont-eat-it/

So glad that I read that (not!)
thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> This just made me go down and grab a can of potted meat and some Ritz
> crackers.
>
> -sw

http://www.yelp.com/user_details?use...qvcdFuU1dR8bgA

Steve "Rockin the Boat" W.'s Profile

Location
Austin, TX

Yelping Since
September 2008

Find Me In
Clothes, usually

My Hometown
Santa Cruz, CA and Pittsburgh, PA

My Blog Or Website
http://www.flickr.com/ph…

My Second Favorite Website
http://IMDB.com: one of the first really useful sites on the Internet.

The Last Great Book I Read
Grapes of Wrath (I was a late Steinbeck devotee)

My First Concert
Rush - Moving PIctures (Twice, SF and Pittsburgh)

My Last Meal On Earth
I'd rather spend that hour raping and pillaging

Don't Tell Anyone Else But...
I'd rather be posting to Usenet

Most Recent Discovery
I'm getting older

Current Crush
Grape

Shell Gas Station
Categories: Gas & Service Stations, Convenience Stores
Neighborhoods: 78704 (South Austin), South Lamar District
12/17/2012 First to Review
I went in to buy cigarettes as I do twice a week for the last 6 months
and was given "short" cigarettes instead of the longer 100's style. I
was halfway out the door when I realized the mistake. The door hadn't
even had time to close behind me when I went back in to get the right
cigarettes. Had to wait behind a few other people at the cash
register but when I got there he said they have a policy that once you
leave the store you cannot return or exchange anything. I told him
the door never even closed behind me so technically I never left the
store. And more importantly you gave me the wrong cigarettes. It was
a simple exchange.

He said "No, you asked for 'Short' cigarettes", which was total BS as
I told him, "I do this twice a week, and you give me the correct
cigarettes every other time. The word "shorts" is not even in my
vocabulary." He still insisted those are what I asked for. Rather
than providing the simplest customer service he chose to argue with me
and insist I said something that I didn't. He refused to exchange the
cigarettes for the ones I originally asked for.

This is the same Shell station where a woman accused the store clerk
(Amirali Noorji Maknojia, age 44) of sexually assaulting her in the
bathroom back on March 4th, 2008 (story available in
http://Statesmen.com archives, author Tony Plohetski). While I didn't
exactly get raped in the sexual sense, I'm still amazed at the
treatment. It's clear that their pig-headed customer service still
has a quite a ways to go if hey can't even provide the most basic
customer service for regular customers.

fungus? Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 12 28-05-2011 03:20 PM
Corn Smut at Chiacgo Farmers Market [email protected] General Cooking 22 21-07-2006 12:33 AM
Fungus? Arsenio Oloroso Asian Cooking 3 22-05-2004 11:46 PM
when are the corn fungus mushrooms around? Peggy Mexican Cooking 2 25-10-2003 06:44 PM