Peggy

Default when are the corn fungus mushrooms around?

Does anyone know what the rainy season is in Mexico? I've been wanting to
try the black corn fungus now for awhile, but am never sure when to look for
it.
Growing up in a Illinois cornfield, we called it "corn smut" and would've
NEVER thought of eating it, for God sake!

Misschef

"Peggy" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know what the rainy season is in Mexico? I've been wanting to
> try the black corn fungus now for awhile, but am never sure when to look

for
> it.
> Growing up in a Illinois cornfield, we called it "corn smut" and would've
> NEVER thought of eating it, for God sake!

Hey Peggy,
It is called Huitlacoche in Spanish.(pronounced wee-tlah-KOH-chey) I have
had it several
times in a gourmet Mexican restaurant here that has now, unfortunately
closed.
(the restaurant touted itself as "gourmet" and frankly I had to agree) An
old boyfriend of mine
(and also a chef) took me there the first time and insisted on ordering for
me in Spanish.
As I understood little of what he or the waiter
were saying I did not know what he was ordering for me. The appetizer
arrived and looked odd,
but being open minded I dug in anyway. I remember saying to my boyfriend,
"This is the best thing
I've ever tasted! What is it?" Well, when he said it was corn fungus I
nearly fell out of my chair!
I cleaned my plate and asked if we could dine on this delectable dish for
the remainder of the meal
and skip the entree. We carried on with the other delightful things he had
ordered and I went back
to that restaurant several more times for the Huitlacoche before they
closed. I never got a recipe,
but I did a google search and found this site. There are a number of
recipes there for it and a place
to order it. Seems like a good site!! Check it out!
http://gourmetsleuth.com/huitlacoche.htm
Note: They sell Huitlacoche in cans. I cannot advise on the quality when
using it from a can,
but maybe someone here can. Additionally, maybe someone here knows where to
order it fresh???

Happy fungi.......Misschef
P.S. the title of your entry asks for corn fungus "mushrooms". I've never
heard of it in the form of a
mushroom, just the fungus.

William Jennings

"Peggy" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know what the rainy season is in Mexico? I've been wanting to
> try the black corn fungus now for awhile, but am never sure when to look

for
> it.
> Growing up in a Illinois cornfield, we called it "corn smut" and would've
> NEVER thought of eating it, for God sake!

Peggy, don't we have enough smut on the internet? :-)

Huitlacoche which is often spelled _Cuitlacoche_ , can be found fresh in
Mexico D.F. from March through December.
Burns Farms in Montverde, Fla. (407) 469-4490 sometimes has it fresh or
frozen.

Pandering to your need for smut: http://www.samcooks.com/relish/corn.htm
Ustilago maydis (huitlacoche)
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/march98.html

I just happen to have a small can of "Goya" Huitlacoche sitting beside me.
Just for the fun of it, I'll send you this can of smut
Monday, to play with if you like. Please keep in mind, canned smut is
never as good as the real thing.

The devil made me type this,

doc

Corn Smut (edible fungus) Janet Bostwick General Cooking 34 25-07-2013 10:05 PM
fungus? Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 12 28-05-2011 03:20 PM
Fungus? Arsenio Oloroso Asian Cooking 3 22-05-2004 11:46 PM
Chipotle Corn Chowder with Mushrooms Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-01-2004 06:24 PM